Polyphony Digital May (Finally) Be Outsourcing 3D Modeling Work

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Aug 7, 2018.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

Castrol96, alp, im_seb30 and 16 others like this.
  2. VBR

VBR Premium

Castrol96, GT6mebe, TomBrady and 24 others like this.
  3. Chikane

Chikane

Maybe now they can outsource the p1 into the game :rolleyes:

4. VBR

VBR Premium

Maybe the reality of the modern gaming industry is forcing Kaz to let go of his outdated Shokunin ideology.

5. Dezcom

Dezcom

It's about damn time.

Castrol96, im_seb30, hrusa2 and 9 others like this.
  6. 555kw

555kw

thank baby Jesus! we'll be able to get more cars and the games will be finished much much faster

7. DavidMonoy97

DavidMonoy97 Premium

I hope it's a good time to talk to the outsourcers named ModelingCafe.

Castrol96, im_seb30, xxy98cn and 4 others like this.
  8. TokoTurismo

TokoTurismo

This is good news, especially if PD wants to bring back all of the cars from previous GTs while adding new ones to the franchise.

GT needs more road cars (and classic tracks) so hopefully this is the start for the new upcoming GT (i.e. GT7).

9. Lord Protector

Lord Protector

Something not to forget: PD isn't remodelling all cars that come through updates. Most of them are just upgraded models from previous GT titles (mainly premium GT6 model) and so they don't need that much more manpower to accomplish the 500 car target. Definitely not 6 months for a car.

10. Auditore

Auditore

Oh how i wish there was some magic computer program that could lower the dev time for videogames but unfortunely there isn't so i hope the outsorcing impact is big enough to make GT games come out faster.

11. breyzipp

breyzipp

^^ this! :) Then the PD launch / debut / whatever game for the "new" generation of consoles doesn't come at that console's near-end of life window. :p

(Just kidding I guess since GT Sport is nearing 1 year of age and the PS5 is probably still 2 years away.)

Castrol96, karelpipa and torque99 like this.
  12. George Jakob

George Jakob

As long as the Quality is high go ahead ! they may need to consider sound outsourcing as well.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  13. ImaRobot

ImaRobot Premium

When the originally announced that they wanted to reach, what, around 500~ cars I was a bit skeptical. With outsourcing I can see them hitting that target if they support the game in the coming years, at the amount they've been releasing monthly. I really don't think they'd continue it for so years, but this is good news none-the-less, and I'm wondering if the change of heart stemmed from the fact that they aimed to remodel all their vehicles, and the sheer amount of work that would involve.

Good on them, and they can very much control the fidelity of these models, it just depends on how they approach it themselves.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  14. MrWaflz55

MrWaflz55

They need to outsource Server Maintenance too so we can get a proper Sport Mode schedule going again. Then maybe they could even keep older games around for longer because it won't be taking up all the servers in the HQ and it'll be hosted elsewhere.

Manasseh257NSX, Dezcom and Nowax like this.
  15. Kingofweasles

Kingofweasles

I feel like if the quality of the current cars can be matched or even possibly upped, outsourcing car models could be a good idea. However, the pessimist in me feels like this could lead to huge differences in quality between certain modelling teams which could lead to backlash from the fans. (Example: In Street Fighter V you can easily tell where the talent went in terms of which outsourced new DLC characters look and animate better than characters that came earlier in the DLC list as well as the characters that were on the default roster.)

On the whole, I think it could be a good idea for the series. It certainly could help lessen the development gap between games that Polyphony Digital are infamous for, but again I think it could only really work well if the quality is up to par.

16. Lord Protector

Lord Protector

I'd really like to see similar progress like PS3 era GT games... first we get very early glimpse of the next-gen GT vision (like GT HD) and then I would not mind a GT Prologue game to make waiting for next full GT bearable.

breyzipp likes this.
  17. Auditore

Auditore

So...like a Standard model and a Premium model.....yeah PD would never do that.:lol:

18. Downhill Dino

Downhill Dino Premium

Some standards might as well have been premium such as the R390, with an actual premium like the Stratos running around.

19. Volksauto

Volksauto

So... can we then expect 25 cars at the end of this month?

20. ImaRobot

ImaRobot Premium

That there was already variations in modeling before, when all done in house, the outsourcing wouldn't be changing much. Even in GTS, there are minor variances, even though they aren't really an issue.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Castrol96, breyzipp and Cosbuster like this.
  21. simsimsheree

simsimsheree

I think I'll reserve my excitement until PD start outsourcing track development...

More real tracks!

Beevster, JoueurGT, im_seb30 and 5 others like this.
  22. Downhill Dino

Downhill Dino Premium

Huh? I was giving an example of exactly that.

23. 05XR8

05XR8

I wonder if this also means, gathering car info will be outsourced.

24. ImaRobot

ImaRobot Premium

I misread slightly, but the point still stands, and can extend your point. I'll change the wording around a bit to reflect that.

25. sems4arsenal

sems4arsenal Premium

As long as they meet PD's own standards, then this can only be good news.

26. Nowax

Nowax

I'm very glad that PD finally done it.

Marcobzzcs likes this.
  27. Vader86

Vader86

Good, maybe GT8 by....2024?

Castrol96 and Nowax like this.
  28. Rustyhole

Rustyhole

The Honda S660 took how long?? Nothing says the team chosen for outsourcing is any faster than PD. Just under a different roof. But more people can only be a good thing (unless they're slower).

sirjim73 and Castrol96 like this.
  29. bdj57

bdj57 Premium

In my opinion this move indeed good for PD in the future. "One car, one man" is not relative anymore since they have to catch up with numbers. If only we knew whether other aspect like tracks were also outsourced though.

For those who wondering where this get started it is from this (some of you here may already know) :

Thanks GTP for bring these to front page! :gtpflag:

Castrol96, Jordan, sirjim73 and 9 others like this.
  30. BallPtPenTheif

BallPtPenTheif

Thank god. It's about time that PD came to terms with the real world development needs of a AAA studio.

Dezcom, HarVee, White Mamba and 4 others like this.