Polyphony Digital May (Finally) Be Outsourcing 3D Modeling Work

Quality or Quantity??

I think we need both so yes this is good news. We will finally get more cars.

Now people are going to complain about the smallest inaccurate details in cars.

I won't complain about the vehicle modeling, it's class leading.

However, I do think PD have it backwards.
They should continue the outstanding car modeling in house, then outsource the physics and tire model.

Although I respect your opinion, I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. There's nothing redundant about driving road cars in GTS, especially if you consider the new physics to be of excellence (which made some cars like the Ferrari LaFerrari derivable for the people). It made driving them in game even more fun. Since GTS does feature free run and such in Online Lobbys, the road cars at least have purpose of being in the game. Oh, and career mode as well. ;)

So not exactly "redundant" IMO.

And lets not forget that road cars are also a big part of racing,from little jalopy to compact sport cars(GT86 comes to mind)

They should continue the outstanding car modeling in house, then outsource the physics and tire model.

@Corsa this might be the best idea I've seen on these forums.

I was thinking about that, and will not the Nissan R92CP be modeled by another team? It is different from the others, it has scratches and it seems that it was modeled as such and its wear

And the first thing these outsourced physics and tire modelers will talk about is the huge processor hit for the eye candy. At consoles' current levels of performance, it's an either/or situation. No other game (for consoles) achieves both. And we all can see with our eyes where PD's priorities lie.

I keep seeing GT7 mentioned, not just here, but all over the forums.

Didn't Kaz say this was essentially GT7? Or are some just holding out hope for a new game (which, btw, this game isn't even a year old yet and they keep adding to it)?

And the first thing these outsourced physics and tire modelers will talk about is the huge processor hit for the eye candy. At consoles' current levels of performance, it's an either/or situation. No other game (for consoles) achieves both. And we all can see with our eyes where PD's priorities lie.

For that we need to talk future console specs as I would guess the next GT will be on PS5, for the PS5 no official information is out there.

But, if you look at the Xbox One X which has an eight-core 2.3 GHz CPU, 12GB GDDR5 memory and a 1172MHz GPU we can assume the PS5 will have to be competitive.

These specs are almost equivalent to my modern mid range PC which handles titles like rFactor2 in VR pushing 90fps in the rain.

I would think all developers could optimize very good physics and retain the eye candy on next gen hardware.

Even though they all run AMD, I'm excited to read about the specs and curious about the price point.

Didn't Kaz say this was essentially GT7? Or are some just holding out hope for a new game (which, btw, this game isn't even a year old yet and they keep adding to it)?
They need a solid car/track lists for GT7. GTSport is the perfect chance to gain time.

Applause to the 3D artists at this studio for achieving PD's standard of quality. I think it was fair for PD to have a Japanese developer outsourcing to communicate as their clients, it's a bonus point that they're nearby studios in Fukuoka. I didn't think there wasn't anything significantly off about the S660 in game at all.

Applause to the 3D artists at this studio for achieving PD's standard of quality. I think it was fair for PD to have a Japanese developer outsourcing to communicate as their clients, it's a bonus point that they're nearby studios in Fukuoka. I didn't think there wasn't anything significantly off about the S660 in game at all.

I could see this studio getting aquired by PD in the future,i think PD is kinda small for the kind of game they are making.

>>essentially<< Thats why

There's no challenge for Kaz, even if it's kinda impossible!

Looking at how old school Kaz is with game development it's quite an achievement that GT games still get released,but i bet while developing GTS he realized how his vision must change so the franchise doesn' t suffer.

If this was GT7 it would be called GT7,maybe GT7 is the internal title for GTS but Sport is no where near a mainline GT game(and in the future it would be weird to release a GT8 skipping the number 7,people would be confused)

After GT4 I knew to not expect much from GT anymore and to expect delays in their game releases.

I hope GT7 will make me wrong.
After GT4? Do you mean after GT5P/GT5? Did you know something more than others back then?

GT4 is a fantastic game. Everything in that game I'd to the nth. They even allowed players to bring over Cr. from the prologue or GT3(?).

As for delays, sure.

After GT4? Do you mean after GT5P/GT5? Did you know something more than others back then?

GT4 is a fantastic game. Everything in that game I'd to the nth. They even allowed players to bring over Cr. from the prologue or GT3(?).

As for delays, sure.

I can see the argument that GT3 was the last fun Gran Turismo game,you can see from the Hud,GT3 is colorful and fun,GT4 is sterile and serious.I think some people got turned off by that,i don't agree i think GT4 is the highest the GT franchise achieved,GT5 is better than GT6 for me because GT6 felt like a "sorry we screwed up GT5",but the franchise went trough some dark times in the PS3 era.

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

@Auditore I can hear a Feeder song and feeling the crazy vibrations on rally tracks. So much fun! I agree with you about GT4: great game but too serious. The 3rd camera view was simply too stiff. Everything about GT3 was perfect back in 2001: soundtrack, gameplay, career mode. Tracks were colorful with lots of trackside objects and some nice effect like heat haze. Even the arcade mode with its amazing menu. I remember that GT3 was sold out everywhere in my city. They should stop aiming to sim players, they're just a fraction of players.
Forza Horizon is now the biggest racing game and its far from a serious sim / FIA blabla. More fun, less sim please Poly!

@Auditore I can hear a Feeder song and feeling the crazy vibrations on rally tracks. So much fun! I agree with you about GT4: great game but too serious. The 3rd camera view was simply too stiff. Everything about GT3 was perfect back in 2001: soundtrack, gameplay, career mode. Tracks were colorful with lots of trackside objects and some nice effect like heat haze. Even the arcade mode with its amazing menu. I remember that GT3 was sold out everywhere in my city. They should stop aiming to sim players, they're just a fraction of players.
Forza Horizon is now the biggest racing game and its far from a serious sim / FIA blabla. More fun, less sim please Poly!

I personally don't agree with the Forza Horizon comparisons,open world racing games have a bigger chance of sucess because people love open worlds,kinda unfair to compare it with track based arcade racers like DriveClub.

Great PD, just dont let the guys that do Forza do it..., inaccuracies et al.
Which is kind of irrelevant and doesn't make much sense, considering there's already differences with in house models. Not every model in GTS is created equal, just like much every other game on the market, with or without outsourcing.

EDIT: I think I misunderstood. You're right that there are inaccuracies actually. Those seem to be the ones that came from last gen games though from as far as I can tell/heard, and there's not many at that. The new outsourced cars seem to be good to go.

Last edited:
They use a few: Dhruva, Glass Egg, Virtuos, ACME
Their actual in house staff is really tiny compared to PD, T10 use alot of contractors.
Wow, I have a lot to investigate, I thought T10 only used Glass Egg for the cars.

PD is small? That's news to me.

I tried to say that they need more people to shorten their dev times,they take longer to create their games than the competition,i don't have a problem with it but it could hurt their dev time and affect the sales.

I think PD will try to outsource to japanese companies close to them,because communication is key to keep the quality of the models.But in the case of Forza are there any major innacuracies with the cars?

With the internet, I'm not sure that's really a necessity. But I agree with the idea that Kaz would like to keep it close to home, and maybe there are advantages, but they can be had anywhere with good communication. I'm not sure PD is always great with communication.

I tried to say that they need more people to shorten their dev times,they take longer to create their games than the competition,i don't have a problem with it but it could hurt their dev time and affect the sales.

I think most would agree that to shorten dev timelines, PD needs either more people, or effective outsourcing. With lots of developers using outsourcing, and many teams that do it wanting to show off their skills, it shouldn't be that hard to cherry pick a few that clear the bar. We know they're out there. PD cannot have cornered the market in car/track modelers able to meet PD standards.

The level of code required for even a 'simple' modern racing game is ridiculous. PD's team has not grown comparably in size to accommodate the increased timelines.

PDs in-house car modeling team grew considerably since GT5, probably over double, they are over 50. That is massive. I dont think any studio comes close.

I really respect that they are growing their own team and can train their new artist up. Not that outsourcing is bad or anything a job is a job but I'd imagine a fulltime dedicated job modeling cars at a studio is better than working at a outsource company modeling for whatever project they need you to.

Other studios tend to have a handful of in house staff and use contractors. You can look at the credits of Forza or The Crew and see how small the car team is and how many outsource company's they use.

Financially outsourcing is the better way to go so its good to see PD at least do some, I hope GTS does well enough to support the staff they have so they wont have to downsize and outsource more.

Latest Posts

Back