Populuxe Cowboy's Swinging Space-Age Bachelor Pad & Photomode Roundup

• Thread starter Populuxe
  • 140 comments

Populuxe

シアトル買い出し紀行
Premium
United States
Seattle-ish
Welcome to my swingin' party! Rosemary Clooney is melting hearts on the hi-fi, a fresh bottle of Hendricks gin has been opened, and this party looks like it's going on all night. So have yourself a seat and enjoy (hopefully) my photography.

For my first couple of steps into the world of Horizonography, I went with a Jeep Wrangler at Gladstone Drive. Sadly, just after taking the beauty shot in front of one of the nicer houses there, I had to make a hasty exit.

Continuing in the greater Gladstone area, I took my Jaguar E-Type for a bit of a drive.

The golden tones of my Ferrari F355 looked beautiful in the natural tunnel of fall leaves just outside Eagle Ridge.

Finally, it was time for my VW Beetle to strut it's stuff around the geysers of Eagle Ridge. I was especially pleased with the early morning image on the freeway around the western edge of the map.

Lovely shots. All you've done capturing the 355 though is make my headache why the Challenge was added to a road car game in place of the road car lol.

Welcome to my swingin' party! Rosemary Clooney is melting hearts on the hi-fi, a fresh bottle of Hendricks gin has been opened, and this party looks like it's going on all night. So have yourself a seat and enjoy (hopefully) my photography.

I know who Rosemary Clooney is (giving my age away) but for some of the younger ones, you have said "George Clooney's Mom, on mp3" on the surround sound receiver is melting hearts. haha

Good to see another gallery open 👍

Some good shots. Nice colours throughout, try experimenting with some angle on some shots 👍

Keep it up :)

I appreciate all the feedback, everyone.

Here are some more shots of my Beetle. I even left it a little beat up in a few pictures to give it that abandoned look.

I finally decided to treat myself to a '57 Chevy. I bought a spectacularly well-crafted scalloped panel paint design, clearly inspired by the great custom car paint jobs of the late '50s and early '60. Yes, driving this big beast is a bit like driving a Herkimer Battle Jitney, but it's fun to win street challenges in a car with more body roll than a log in a creek.

Love the bug set, particularly the one in the grass by the house. Good job blocking the driver so the car looks abandoned!

Love the bug set, particularly the one in the grass by the house. Good job blocking the driver so the car looks abandoned!

Ah, you noticed that. Yes, I was pretty pleased with how that came out. I had painted the car in a matte finish. I didn't change the color at all, I just changed the finish, and that really added to the abandoned effect, I think.

Yesterday I went to a record shop (okay, a local CD store) and picked up "Surf-Age Nuggets: Trash & Twang Instrumentals 1959-1966." It's a 4-CD set full of forgotten gems from kids playing their hearts out on Fender, Danelectro and Mosrite guitars, every one run through a Fender reverb set to 11. No hits here, just great songs from minor hit makers that no one heard from again. So today I've been listening to nothing but surf instrumentals. Not surprisingly, my choice of cars today is influenced by that music. How about a '64 Chevy Impala? But first, one last '57 Chevy Bel Air.

For the Impala's photoshoot, I found an abandoned convenience store/garage just south of Carson that looked like a great location. Also, the paint scheme is my own. I painted the car in a special fade yellow, then placed white panels all around the roof and the lower part of the car to create the two-tone effect.

I have a few more photos to share.
13658586363_ecdb4a705a_z.jpg

13658565465_13c7e7d8e6_z.jpg

13658910234_19fed6e1e8_z.jpg

I had a bit of fun bouncing around in my Peugeot 205 Turbo16. I especially like the early morning high contrast image.

13658585803_343012900e_z.jpg

13658586243_057abd4c0d_z.jpg

I absolutely love the gorgeous curves of the Dino 246. I can't stop photographing this car.

13658910214_5d7100d849_z.jpg

The Nissan Fairlady Z is a classic of the '70s. I added a design based on the Superflat artwork of Takashi Murakami.

13658585833_5cf16d1acb_z.jpg

I wanted a good black and white image of the old '57 Bel Air.

13658587395_81df238857_z.jpg

I went with a desaturated look for my F100. The paint is matte mint green.

13658586313_4c3b3b4e7b_z.jpg

Just a nice vista featuring a purple Miata.

13658580405_dc43b8a32b_z.jpg

My Beetle is sporting some nice wheels and matte beige paint, like an old Beetle should. I like that scrape mark on the fender and wanted to highlight it.

Last edited:
This is most strange. How have I never, in more than a year's time, noticed this thread?

The Bel-Air and F100 shots are fantastic, although it's hard for me to see an F100 in anything other than Sanford & Son dress. :lol:

More photos of my Fulvia. The top picture is a close up of the grill. Yes, those are elephants marching across the "HF." Scuderia Lancia competed in the Giro di Sicily in 1952. They used the Aurelia Serie 2 with a lowered roof line. One of the drivers, Enrico Anselmi, had used an elephant as a "sign" on his car for some years. He allowed the Lancia team to use his elephant, starting in 1953.

Lancia Fulvia
by Populuxe Cowboy, on Flickr

I'm fascinated by the subtleties of color and light. In this picture, the car is painted AMC Firecracker Red.

Lancia Fulvia in AMC Firecracker Red

In this picture, it is painted VW Flash Red. It's a little brighter and slightly more red/less orange than Firecracker Red.

Lancia Fulvia in VW Flash Red

Last edited:
I'd only just created the HF logo in 5 ready for this car and then I found out about no vinyl imports.

I like the beetle from the first post the most, nice photos!

I also really dig the colors used in your last set as well.

I like the beetle from the first post the most, nice photos!

I also really dig the colors used in your last set as well.
Thanks. I plan on doing more photos of the Fulvia in different manufacturer's shades of red. I'm also rather proud of that black and red Beetle. I bought it in red so the interior would be red, then covered the exterior in black vinyl. I painted the wheels red, and added a very subtle red gradient shape to the spine of the car, going from front to back. I like the sinister red and black look.

Are you cats ready for more pictures of my Fulvia? Of course you are!

Like I mentioned, I'm having fun with the manufacturer's color database. I'm still working on photos of my Fulvia in different shades of red.

Volvo Passion Red:

volvopassionred

Volvo Flamenco Red:

volvoflamencored

Mazda True Red:

mazdatruered

Mazda Fireglow Red:

mazdafireglowred

Mazda Copper Red Mica:

mazdacopperredmica

Lotus Ardent Red:

lotusardentred

Okay, enough red Fulvias. I think I'm going to do green next on a different yet-to-be-decided car.

How about a whole bunch of green 1968 Abarth 595 Esseesses? Hey, green is part of the Italian national flag, so it works.

GM Rallye Green Metallic

595001GMRallyeGreenMet

Dodge Green With Envy

595002DodgeGreenWithEnvy

Hyundai Green Apple

595003HyundaiGreenApple

Holden Poison Ivy Metallic

595004HoldenPoisonIveMet

Ford Highland Green

595005FordHighlandGreen

Holden Poison Ivy Metallic

595006HoldenPoisonIvyMet

Honda Bay Leaf Green

595007HondaBayLeafGreen

Aston Martin Viridian Green

595008AstonMartinViridianGreen

Ford Gotta-Have-It Green

595009FordGottaHaveItGreen

Honda Isle Green Pearl

595010HondaIsleGreenPearl

AMC Big Bad Green

595011AMCBigBadGreen

Audi Signal Green

595012AudiSignalGreen

I like what you're doing with the colour chart, and some of the shots look really good. The Fiat 500 in Dodge Green with Envy; the last "Audi Signal Green (I shall call it the Lyra-mobile! :P Mainly because I made this a few years ago.);" "Honda Isle Green Pearl;" "Ford Gotta Have it" does a great job to capture the rain reflections. And the "Holden Poison Ivy" colour shot. I actually did a similar shot with an 86 GT a few years back in GT5... The lighting/time of day isn't even all that different. So you're doing well. 👍 Keep it up!

I never did a Lyra, but I love what you did that that Abarth. A guy let me take his nearly identical Abarth-look Fiat 850 around a gymkana course back in '81 and it was a hoot.

I love the catch lights on the wings and wheels, plus the peaceful nature of the street behind. Nothing wrong with darkness when well judged.

Back