Possible 'confirmation' of NFS Underground 3?

• Thread starter billyhas
  • 648 comments
As you can see in the trailer's thumbnail, its a Subaru BRZ with a Rocket Bunny v2 kit, not a GT86 or FRS.

maxresdefault.webp

https://i.ytimg.com/vi_webp/ybZ5nchDm6o/maxresdefault.webp
Still, no difference between the FR-S/GT86/BRZ apart from the badges.

I like what he says in the beginning of the analysis: He visited Ghost already in February to give feedback and he says that there are unbelievable tuning options available and more customisation options than ever. He isn't allowed to say more but it all sounds very optimistic

Trailer reminds me too much of The Crew with the CGI graphics. Hoping this doesn't flop like that game.

Also, cops =/= Underground.

And when will EA learn that you don't need a story in a racing game :banghead:

To be honest I'm not too excited for this. Even if it's Underground 3, that era has passed for me. If I want to play an Underground like game I'll just fire up UG1/2. Everything feels "been there, done that" to me.

Trailer reminds me too much of The Crew with the CGI graphics. Hoping this doesn't flop like that game.

Also, cops =/= Underground.

And when will EA learn that you don't need a story in a racing game :banghead:

To be honest I'm not too excited for this. Even if it's Underground 3, that era has passed for me. If I want to play an Underground like game I'll just fire up UG1/2. Everything feels "been there, done that" to me.

I can understand that. I'm feeling like this game is meant to in a way replace the failed Need for speed world. That game was a failure. What I'm getting out of this is "Here's a new open world with deep customization" It may end up being online only. However I won't shoot it down just yet. Urban car culture is cool and all but I wish they'd go back to what most wanted 2005 was trying to do which was a combination of urban and exotic cars.. The endless night time setting
bugs me.

Ultimately people need to ask themselves what makes a racing game good. And my answer to that is the racing itself. If that isn't nailed down, it's not gonna matter how much customization you have, if the racing and driving experience itself is bad.

I would say what makes a racing game good is the actual drivability and how it achieve what it's aiming for. I'm hoping for some licensed customization options at least. Nighttime setting makes sense to me, as the car scene/racing is most active at night here anyways, so in a way it would make sense.

How'd you end up thinking it was going to be online only @Avetorian?

I would say what makes a racing game good is the actual drivability and how it achieve what it's aiming for. I'm hoping for some licensed customization options at least. Nighttime setting makes sense to me, as the car scene/racing is most active at night here anyways, so in a way it would make sense.

How'd you end up thinking it was going to be online only @Avetorian?

Because that seems to be the trend a lot of developers are taking. I'm not saying it will be that way, I said it "may" end up that way. My issue with the endless night time setting in a seamless open world is that it just lacks immersion. For example they could make it harder to run a race in the day time, you'd use that going shopping and staying under cover because the police might be more active or something, then at night racing is more active.

There are ways to tie in the "race at night" setting while still having a day night transition. This is supposed to be a next gen game. I feel like developers are just constantly taking shortcuts and not really trying anything new.

You're right the drivability vastly determines the outcome of the racing itself, what I'm suggesting in this aspect is the cars to be believable, not some kind of alien machine that can drift effortlessly around a 90 degree corner. I'd like a good sense of inertia. I feel the best NFS that accomplished this was need for speed high stakes. We can stare at cars all day but utlimately if the driving and the racing itself is bad. then it will just be a car dress up simulator.

Because that seems to be the trend a lot of developers are taking. I'm not saying it will be that way, I said it "may" end up that way. My issue with the endless night time setting in a seamless open world is that it just lacks immersion. For example they could make it harder to run a race in the day time, you'd use that going shopping and staying under cover because the police might be more active or something, then at night racing is more active.
I know you didn't use a certainty. Thats why I asked why you thought that. For immersion, they should make sure that you will not be able to get anywhere during the mornings and mid afternoons as that will be rush our traffic times normally. :P

There are ways to tie in the "race at night" setting while still having a day night transition. This is supposed to be a next gen game. I feel like developers are just constantly taking shortcuts and not really trying anything new.
Well, all we have is a 30 second trailer so far that shows no gameplay. We cant really call shortcuts yet, can we? I'm seeing alot of things this gen, that make me think that people think that this next gen jump is supposed to be the magic spot in gaming. While things are definitely picking up I'm thinking people are expecting way more then what is realistic this gen(not talking about this case in particular.)

You're right the drivability vastly determines the outcome of the racing itself, what I'm suggesting in this aspect is the cars to be believable, not some kind of alien machine that can drift effortlessly around a 90 degree corner. I'd like a good sense of inertia. I feel the best NFS that accomplished this was need for speed high stakes. We can stare at cars all day but utlimately if the driving and the racing itself is bad. then it will just be a car dress up simulator.
To be honest, I'm not all against a dress up simulator :lol: That all depends on how extensive this customization is going to be, though.

Player flees Palmont and escapes to Olympic City.
Unlikely since the player is just an amateur during the events of Underground.
Every game with supercars being chased by the police are, well, stupid. Seriously, what kind of a cop would ram into a Lamborghini to stop it.
At least it's not this. :P

original.jpg

And supercars.
I see no supercars aside from the 964, which isn't that far of a stretch.

I know you didn't use a certainty. Thats why I asked why you thought that. For immersion, they should make sure that you will not be able to get anywhere during the mornings and mid afternoons as that will be rush our traffic times normally. :P

Well, all we have is a 30 second trailer so far that shows no gameplay. We cant really call shortcuts yet, can we? I'm seeing alot of things this gen, that make me think that people think that this next gen jump is supposed to be the magic spot in gaming. While things are definitely picking up I'm thinking people are expecting way more then what is realistic this gen(not talking about this case in particular.)

To be honest, I'm not all against a dress up simulator :lol: That all depends on how extensive this customization is going to be, though.

Well that really depends on how you set the game rules, it doesn't have to mimic real life, but borrow some ideas.

I speak out of the fear of the last generation of games. I don't know how many games you played but I noticed graphics taking a focal point instead of gameplay. I've seen SNES games with more depth to them than some of the later generations of games. That's where I was going with the short cuts. However I will call the endless night time setting a short cut. If that is indeed going to the case.

As for people expecting way more in this generation of games. I think that depends on the game. Since everything has been done, there's a lot to learn from the past generations of games, what could be improved on etc. Not just rehash everything over and over. Which is what I hope this new NFS doesn't turn out to be.

As for your last statement. To each their own I suppose, I want the car that I'm driving to feel like a car, and I would like a sense of attachment to it. I make the changes etc and perform better or worse or whatever I want it to be something I can be attached to as strange as that might sound for some. So if the driving is believable then it will go a long way to that for me.

Apparently, cops were actually considered for the Underground games at one point. It obviously didn't make it very far in development.
Something about that, yeah.

at 1:04
I embeded a video because i couldn't find the original picture.

Well that really depends on how you set the game rules, it doesn't have to mimic real life, but borrow some ideas.

I speak out of the fear of the last generation of games. I don't know how many games you played but I noticed graphics taking a focal point instead of gameplay. I've seen SNES games with more depth to them than some of the later generations of games. That's where I was going with the short cuts. However I will call the endless night time setting a short cut. If that is indeed going to the case.

As for people expecting way more in this generation of games. I think that depends on the game. Since everything has been done, there's a lot to learn from the past generations of games, what could be improved on etc. Not just rehash everything over and over. Which is what I hope this new NFS doesn't turn out to be.

As for your last statement. To each their own I suppose, I want the car that I'm driving to feel like a car, and I would like a sense of attachment to it. I make the changes etc and perform better or worse or whatever I want it to be something I can be attached to as strange as that might sound for some. So if the driving is believable then it will go a long way to that for me.
You seem to have taken my post more serious then originally intended.

How can you call it a shortcut, when we have no idea of anything about the game other then a few cars and the city? We should wait for more info before damning it, no?

I agree, I and disagree to an extent. There are definitely some games I wish they made a rehash for. Alot of game's in fact. Just don't charge full price for them. Still though, this seems like less of a rehash, and more as of a seperate iteration in the series.

Last statement was a joke, although my stand on customization is still set.. I would love drivability to be first and foremost.

Teaser pretty much confirms that No Limits set the direction the series will be going from now on. People like the cars showcased on Speedhunters (which is a blog EA created and mantains). Makes sense to focus on that kind of customization (expensive multi-piece rims and esoteric bodywork from small Japanese workshops).

Not that I wouldn't liek an open-world Need For Speed with Rocket Bunny BRZs.

There's going to be a day/night cycle, the game may not necessarily be called just 'Need for Speed', and it'll have a storyline akin to the Underground series, Undercover and The Run [1].

Gamespot
What we do now know are high-level points about the new Need for Speed game. First, the game (which is inspired by the Underground series but doesn't have a name yet) will be an open-world, day-to-night racer featuring "deep customization," car culture by way of a partnership with EA's own Speedhunters, and even an "immersive narrative" that Ghost says will pull players through the game.

The only previous-gen NFS game that I enjoyed for was The Run, Solely because it had a decent physics and vast selection of cars, That game could have been one of the best games they made only if they added a free roam mode.

There's going to be a day/night cycle, the game may not necessarily be called just 'Need for Speed', and it'll have a storyline akin to the Underground series, Undercover and The Run [1].
The 3 things I wanted! (well mainly the third)

You seem to have taken my post more serious then originally intended.

How can you call it a shortcut, when we have no idea of anything about the game other then a few cars and the city? We should wait for more info before damning it, no?

I agree, I and disagree to an extent. There are definitely some games I wish they made a rehash for. Alot of game's in fact. Just don't charge full price for them. Still though, this seems like less of a rehash, and more as of a seperate iteration in the series.

Last statement was a joke, although my stand on customization is still set.. I would love drivability to be first and foremost.

I wasn't really intending on sounding that serious lol my apologies. I call it a shortcut because not having a dynamic day night cycle just makes no sense in an open world game. Maybe I'm wrong and there's some good reason for this but until I know more that's my stance on it.

I played Underground 1 and 2 and I wasn't too fond of the only racing at night thing they had going on. I guess I just want to see a variety of settings in a racing game these days. Maybe I fall in the minority in that department who knows.

Edit:: Nvm there is going to be a day to night cycle, good stuff. I retract my statement about the shortcut. I'm not too fond of a storyline. There's only one reason I drive a car and mess around with the cops, because it's fun. That's all the justification I need. I hope this story doesn't take away from the gameplay.

Last edited:
Yeah, they're saying there will be non-driving elements like what we saw in the Run, but probably not quick time events.

The cars seem quite modified, and the game seems to be going back to where it was fun. I hope it's not about ramming police as hard as you can 24/7.

Also I wonder how much RTR, RWB and Rocket Bunny were paid...

Also classic NFS soundtrack too.

This seems like (I hope) to be a prime NFS game like it should have been over the past ten years.

Last edited:
Back