Problem with multiplayer

• Thread starter Sharpie
  • 17 comments
United States
Florida
kacivola
Can't connect to multiplayer lobby anybody got similar problem? All i got is "Disconnected from network server"

Last edited:
i have the same problem,.... you can only join when you get a invite,...

on the official forum there a a lott of people that can not join :grumpy:

Xboxlive is having issues again. If you ever have an issue with a game, check this site FIRST.

Please save this link to your favorites. https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live-status?xr=shellnav

Xbox Live Core ServicesLimited

Affected platforms:

xboxone_icon.png

Xbox One
xbox one outage;Xbox Live Core Services,
xbox360_icon.png

Xbox 360
xbox 360 outage;Xbox Live Core Services,
xboxdevices_icon.png

Xbox on other devices
xbox other outage;Xbox Live Core Services,
windows_icon.png

Xbox on Windows 10
xbox on windows outage;Xbox Live Core Services,

Affected services:

• Signing into Xbox Live

‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2015‎ ‎4‎:‎19‎:‎29‎ ‎PM

Hey Xbox members, we know you’re having issues signing in to Xbox Live, and our best engineers are working to fix the issue as quickly as possible. Thanks for being patient while we get everything back to normal! We’ll post an update as soon as we know more.

did they have problems the last 2 days ??

because on the official F6 board lotts of people complaining for weeks they can not join multiplayer...?!

Xbox services appear to be out over a wide area right now, or at least were a few minutes ago before I turned it off. I am in WV, my brother is in NJ and a friend we were talking to is in England and it was down for all 3 of us as of about 5 PM EDT

Xbox services appear to be out over a wide area right now, or at least were a few minutes ago before I turned it off. I am in WV, my brother is in NJ and a friend we were talking to is in England and it was down for all 3 of us as of about 5 PM EDT
Maybe they are fixing im in Florida

What is your NAT type?

If you still haven't been able to connect to online servers I might have a fix from when I had the same issues in FM5 and FH2.

I had to go in to my Xbox settings, then network settings, advanced settings, DNS settings then manually input Primary DNS as 8.8.8.8 and secondary DNS as 8.8.4.4, these are the Google servers and for some reason worked better than the default options.

What is your NAT type?

If you still haven't been able to connect to online servers I might have a fix from when I had the same issues in FM5 and FH2.

I had to go in to my Xbox settings, then network settings, advanced settings, DNS settings then manually input Primary DNS as 8.8.8.8 and secondary DNS as 8.8.4.4, these are the Google servers and for some reason worked better than the default options.
Nat type is open

Last edited:
If you are still having problems I have 2 questions.

1. Is your X1 set to "Auto On" mode? This mode means your X1 never truly hard resets ever. It is on 100%, it just acts like it goes into a sleep mode. I would make sure to set it to "Energy Save" mode. Then restart.

2. If it is already set to "Energy Save" mode, then try resetting your router or modem.

3. What is your download / Upload speed? You can test this from the X1 or from http://www.speedtest.net/

Usually the problem is #1. So hopefully this helps.

If you are still having problems I have 2 questions.

1. Is your X1 set to "Auto On" mode? This mode means your X1 never truly hard resets ever. It is on 100%, it just acts like it goes into a sleep mode. I would make sure to set it to "Energy Save" mode. Then restart.

2. If it is already set to "Energy Save" mode, then try resetting your router or modem.

3. What is your download / Upload speed? You can test this from the X1 or from http://www.speedtest.net/

Usually the problem is #1. So hopefully this helps.
I did that nothing helps i get this message Disconnected from server. And my download speed is 59,79 and upload speed is 9,68 packet loss 0% latency 97 ms wireless strength 100%

Apparently there are some issues with FM6 online. I rarely ever had any problems with Forza 2,3 or 4, no issues with GT5 or 6 and no issues with PCars. In FM 6 I have been disconnected from my own private lobby on more than one occasion, have been unable to join a private lobby, have been unable to start multiplayer and once I had a message that it could not connect to the hopper server and gave me an option to create a private lobby, this after having booted me out of my own lobby saying that I had lost my internet connection even though there was/is no issues with my connection.

Aside from that I find the multiplayer in FM6 the worst of any Forza so far. No ability to create a public lobby at all and only a small number of hoppers. I really miss the days of Forza 2. Online was so much better there than what it is now. I wonder why on earth they decided that it would be better to have a small number of extremely limited quick match style lobbies rather than having the wide open world of user created races like they had in FM2?

I guess that there were some people whining on their forums about wanting to be able to just pick a class and race and that it was to much trouble to search for a race or create their own. T10 appears to have listened to them but then there were tons of people who were perfectly happy with the way it was already and thus were not whinning about it, they weren't even on the forums, to busy racing. Most of the people I used to race with on an almost nightly basis gave up as of Forza 4 and just quit playing the game, some went back to Forza 2 and a few continued to play the newer versions but all of them would be quick to say they wish it was never changed and that Forza 2 was the king in that department.

Last edited:
That text on the link above is a bit confusing, speaking as though opening a port is the same thing as forwarding a port but it is not really the same thing. Opening a port allows traffic through that port. Forwarding a port redirects incoming traffic on that port to a specific IP address.

I've not set up any forwarding on my router and have never had any issue connecting to xbox live. The issue I had was the XBox itself and/or the xbox servers. The other night I was having issues again trying to join a lobby so I reset the xbox and it has worked fine for the last few days.

That text on the link above is a bit confusing, speaking as though opening a port is the same thing as forwarding a port but it is not really the same thing. Opening a port allows traffic through that port. Forwarding a port redirects incoming traffic on that port to a specific IP address.

I've not set up any forwarding on my router and have never had any issue connecting to xbox live. The issue I had was the XBox itself and/or the xbox servers. The other night I was having issues again trying to join a lobby so I reset the xbox and it has worked fine for the last few days.

Forza is very sensitive to the NAT state, so if your xbox registers as anything but "OPEN". Then you will have issues playing online. Other games such as COD and Battlefield are more lenient in this regard, and you can get into decent games even with a "MODERATE" NAT state. The reason why it sometimes works, is because of UPnP. Which is a little broken in regards to the Xbox and certain brands of router, always has been. Even on the 360. It is always best to forward the ports manually in the router, as it ensures an open NAT state 99.9% of the time. UPnP is supposed to take away the need to use port forwarding, as it is supposed to automatically forward the ports without the end user having to do anything. It really messes up when there are 2 or more xbox's used on the same network. Or even if someone is playing a game like COD on PC, as they can use similar ports. It is also safer from a security standpoint to disable UPnP, but it can cause some hassle with multiple devices that use similar software. Mostly games.

I highly advise anyone having issues playing Forza over Xbox live to open the ports, and you will have far less issues. It may even solve some xbox related things also, such as party chat. Which may or may not be affecting you.

P.S Port Forwarding and Opening the ports are interchangeable when it comes to network related stuff. Even though they both have separate meanings. In regards to router hardware though, they are the same thing. When it comes to "opening" a port on PC firewall software however, it is a case of just opening it.

Either way, you can take my advice on the matter or leave it. Entirely up to you.

Well as I said, I have not been having issues until recently in Forza 6 and trust me those issues have nothing to do with my router settings. It was the XBox that was having a problem. I have been playing Forza for about 7 years now so my equipment was long ago set to work with the game, in fact it works with everything I have thrown at it. Playstaion, Xbox360 and PC and until the patch it had gave me no issues in FM6. A hard boot seems to have corrected the problem. This is not that unusual though, all computer devices need to cold boot from time to time. Xbox systems just need them a little more often than some of the others.

As for port forwarding on the router this is what the router says
This option is used to open multiple ports or a range of ports in your router and redirect data through those ports to a single PC on your network.
In other words If I forward port 8080 to 192.168.0.127 then any connection request that comes in on that port gets routed to that PC. That is not the same thing as opening the port on the router. Opening the port allows traffic through the port from any device on the network forwarding directs it at a specific device.

Those who can not get a connection at all may very well have some settings issues but that is not the case here and never has been.

I have been playing Forza for about 7 years

So, Ive been playing Forza for 10 years since the very first game. Ive played Gran Turismo since the first one also, I was playing Micropose F1 games on the Amiga. Plus racing games older than those!

And just to note, I am very adept at both computer hardware/software and networking hardware/software. I have been messing with both for a very very long time. I used to have an old Amstrad CPC 464, which I was using when I was 3 years old. I went to school at the time the BBC Micro was all the rage. I used the original Apple Macintosh when I was 5, and the Apple Macintosh Classic when I was 6, as I went to a school that had more money than sense. Some of my school time, and a lot of my spare time was spent learning how to code in Basic. I was messing around in the likes of Linux just for fun, and did advanced computing courses while in comprehensive schooling in the mid to late 90's. I had the internet before it was the cool thing to have.

See, I can throw out the irreverent things about how long I have been doing/using something also.

As I said to you in my last post, take my advice or leave it. No skin off my back. It will help someone out, even if it doesn't help you. You should know however, that the port forwarding in the router hardware is recommended advice by Microsoft and Xbox support when having connection issues in games and with Xbox live core services like party chat. As an "OPEN" NAT state is required to utilize the service properly. UPnP doesn't always allow the xbox to achieve an OPEN NAT state, which is why a hard reboot of the Xbox can regain that. It is the easiest option, I will happily grant you that. But it is not the best solution for persistent issues.

So the fact that I have had it working properly for at least 7 years doesn't tell you that I have the proper configuration and you somehow equate that to playing with a computer when you were a kid or how long you played GT versions which had no online abilities or an old Asmtrad PC, I had one of those two btw but of course it does not matter in the least as it had no network ability and the internet did not yet exist.

Open Nat and Port Forwarding are two different things. OPen Nat is required, port forwarding is not.

On another note speaking of having the internet before it was cool. I used to be a Fido Net hub operator before the internet was available.

Last edited:
Oh, so I am not allowed to bring up irreverent rubbish from my past experiences into the discussion; but you are? Nice to know for future reference.

You have failed to comprehend anything that I have put down in terms to networking and the xbox one, and yes I know that an "open nat" and "port forwarding" are two separate things. The ports can and do effect your networks ability to give you an open nat state on things however, which is why Microsoft and Xbox support recommend forwarding the ports required by xbox live. Is that so hard to comprehend?

Back