Project CARS 2 General Discussion Thread - Out Now on PS4/XB1/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 12,199 comments
If only PC2 looked like this....
Looking at it, I think it's got the ability to be PCP level. But this is a business to business focused thing designed to be at trade shows or whatever Porsche and co want it to be for.

And PC2 has to be on consoles.

Also slightly odd - Kunos / AC was originally closely tied with Porsche - presumably now replaced by SMS.

Why not both? I think Porsche is trying to get as far away from situations reminiscent of the years during which only EA held onto Porsche exclusivity like the plague.

Both Kunos and Turn 10 have recently claimed to be in partnerships with Porsche. Now it would appear that SMS can say the same thing.

Corporate is still a consumer... and, by the tone of that article I linked to, a consumer that doesn't think this degree of 'professionalism' is worth the outlay.

Corporate is still a consumer... and, by the tone of that article I linked to, a consumer that doesn't think this degree of 'professionalism' is worth the outlay.
To clarify, what I meant by consumer was retail. I'm sure that Porsche and SMS would have had some contact with StarVR to understand what their product does and compare it with others on the market. Porsche are going to want the best things to show off to their key figures and are pretty much known for their attention to detail.

Porsche are going to want the best things to show off to their key figures and are pretty much known for their attention to detail.

Yup. Better FOV and resolution than the average consumer VR headset, built-in eye tracking. So easy to understand why a company would use these HMDs over an OR or Vive.

While typical VR headsets feature around 110-degree fields of view, the StarVR One offered a 210-degree horizontal field of view spread across two high-resolution AMOLED displays. Like the original model, the screens and related optical tracking technologies placed the headset out of consumer reach, leaving StarVR dependent on new location-based entertainment customers that apparently haven’t materialized"

But this is really a niche within a niche, so not surprising this tanked financially. The product is great, but hardly any market. How many would Porsche have bought? Maybe a few dozen, if even that?

The idea that SMS may be wasting valuable R&D time and money on stuff like foveal rendering and resolutions and peripherals that will NEVER get in the hands of the vast majority of their customers worries me...

Sure, if PC2 was pretty bug-free, if online worked well for all players, if the player base was rising, not falling, sure, go ahead and have fun with this technical pipe dream...

But it ain't.

The idea that SMS may be wasting valuable R&D time and money on stuff like foveal rendering and resolutions and peripherals that will NEVER get in the hands of the vast majority of their customers worries me...

Sure, if PC2 was pretty bug-free, if online worked well for all players, if the player base was rising, not falling, sure, go ahead and have fun with this technical pipe dream...

But it ain't.
We don't know the details of the agreement between Porsche and SMS (and possibly StarVR), so there's no telling if this cost them anything at all. Given SMS's history with EA and Shift/2, World Of Speed and Red Bull Air Race I think they've got their bases covered.

It doesn't if Porsche are paying them, as expected, big money to provide them with top quality software.

Weirdest racing game ever. Most of the time I spend in online lobby expecting to join for a race listening super-pretentious opera.

The best kind of Opera!
LOL, no. Who is that idiot who thinks that opera is a great thing in game menu? It's OK in opening or trailer, not as background music. Same thing with electric guitar in Assetto Corsa. UI in both games are trash too. Physics and gameplay is on point, but these interface things are so far away from GT series which is a truly masterpiece in similar details.

I actually like the UI in PC2, it's quite easy to navigate, with L2/R2 as page shortcuts, everything is explained in detail, it's not cluttered.

I couldn't care less about music within any racing game, it's the 1st thing I turn off (the GT series included).

There's only 1 song that belongs to the beginning of any racing game & that's The Chain by Fleetwood Mac :)

I actually like the UI in PC2, it's quite easy to navigate, with L2/R2 as page shortcuts, everything is explained in detail, it's not cluttered.
I found it the same way. It's no worse than any other game I've got really. They could improve in some areas with maybe having the ability to edit the assists in the offline pre-race or something like that.
I couldn't care less about music within any racing game, it's the 1st thing I turn off (the GT series included).
I turned mine off because I wanted to hear other people in the lobby for league races.

Been a little constructive today modifying my Black & Decker workbench rig from this.
20180908_124237.jpg

To this, with new wood & longer pedal rest (long legs), all rounded off & sanded. (might paint it later on)
20181204_165252.jpg

New wireless keypad for my button box (I'll put printed stickers on later).
20181204_165148.jpg

Now hard mounted aswell (so no more clamp).
20181204_165340.jpg

Ok that was the last straw the one that broke the camels back :lol:

The p1 gtr back flames in gts and what a beautiful sight it is :drool: SMS should be ashamed for there inconsistency when it comes to backflames :yuck:

Gonna be hard returning to the p1 gtr in pcars 2 after gts.

As of now P1 GTR

GTS>>PCARS 2

Except for sound :)

Ok that was the last straw the one that broke the camels back :lol:

The p1 gtr back flames in gts and what a beautiful sight it is :drool: SMS should be ashamed for there inconsistency when it comes to backflames :yuck:

Gonna be hard returning to the p1 gtr in pcars 2 after gts.

As of now P1 GTR

GTS>>PCARS 2

Except for sound :)

When driving you don't notice the flames, but you do notice the sound right?

When driving you don't notice the flames, but you do notice the sound right?
?? Yeah in chase cam you can 100% see the back flames on the p1 gtr in gts and its a beautiful sight like i said, its really sad that pcars has a inconsistency when it comes to back flame.

Funny(sad) thing is I spent 20mins the other night with a buddy trying to get a pic of the nitro exhaust flames for some silly reward playing the crew2 but there is a time and place for everything I guess

Attachments

• The Crew® 2_nitro.jpeg
    The Crew® 2_nitro.jpeg
    38.8 KB · Views: 29
Back flames.......... ... ...which one drives better?:lol:
You laugh but my sad realty is i have had more fun with the p1 gtr in my first 100 miles in gts then the 75K plus miles that i driven it in pcars 2.

I love the driven in pcars 2 why more then gts

Plus you have live track 3.0
Chase cam and helmet cam which imho are the best views in any racing game.

But for me it starts with the p1 gtr and right now

GTS>>PCARS 2 in regards to the p1 gtr :crazy:

It doesn't if Porsche are paying them, as expected, big money to provide them with top quality software.

Emphasis on 'IF'...

The bucks to deliver an as yet unavailable level of resolution, completely new foveal rendering abilities and no doubt frame rate capabilities (if these demos are supposed to render an acceptable physics and tire reality to a customer matches Porsche's expectations) may be a lot more expensive than you think. Or aren't you the one always telling me that feature coding is a LOT harder (and more expensive) than we think?!

The problem being that it is far from certain Star VR may be in business for much longer. Any money spent by SMS is down the toilet regardless of what Porsche want to do if the effort isn't eventually rewarded by player purchases. I doubt Porsche see much advantage in underwriting a considerable effort to push the technical boundaries if they are the sole beneficiaries (and for a very short time if Star go under).

You laugh but my sad realty is i have had more fun with the p1 gtr in my first 100 miles in gts then the 75K plus miles that i driven it in pcars 2.

I love the driven in pcars 2 why more then gts

Plus you have live track 3.0
Chase cam and helmet cam which imho are the best views in any racing game.

But for me it starts with the p1 gtr and right now

GTS>>PCARS 2 in regards to the p1 gtr :crazy:

The car is better overall because of rear exhaust flames... Ok... whatever floats your boat my friend

The car is better overall because of rear exhaust flames... Ok... whatever floats your boat my friend
Looks like your missing the point.

Overall the p1 gtr is better model in gts then in pcars 2.

The p1 gtr in pcars 2 almost feels like second rated to how beautiful it is in gts.

The only thing the p1 gtr still has in pcars 2 over gts is the sound.

Of course we could do a comparison between the two games.

Looks like your missing the point.

Overall the p1 gtr is better model in gts then in pcars 2.

The p1 gtr in pcars 2 almost feels like second rated to how beautiful it is in gts.

The only thing the p1 gtr still has in pcars 2 over gts is the sound.

Of course we could do a comparison between the two games.

Perhaps I missed some earlier posts because all I've seen mentioned is the back flames.

But now that you clarified of course it's going to be a better looking model in gts than pc2. Most are going to be, overall the graphics are better

Does anyone here use the custom random weather automator on PS4? I found the tool today but I can't use it via a pc since I can't install remote play because my Windows version is too old. Does anyone know if it's possible to use this on a mobile phone or are there other options to create weather slots in custom race weekends without knowing the slots?

Back