Project CARS 2 General Discussion Thread - Out Now on PS4/XB1/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 12,199 comments
Getting prepared for an offline enduro at Bannochbrae(which the AI can NOT drive at worth anything) in classic GT cars. Figured I don't want to use the speed limiter and cars that old probably shouldn't have one anyway, so I unmapped it to avoid hitting it by mistake. Found it oddly easy to maintain pit speed the first couple times and then I remembered hearing people say that if you don't have a button mapped for the limiter it will work automatically(instead of doing something radical like using an auto option) and sure enough, that's what happened.

Sometimes I really wonder about this game.

Getting prepared for an offline enduro at Bannochbrae(which the AI can NOT drive at worth anything) in classic GT cars. Figured I don't want to use the speed limiter and cars that old probably shouldn't have one anyway, so I unmapped it to avoid hitting it by mistake. Found it oddly easy to maintain pit speed the first couple times and then I remembered hearing people say that if you don't have a button mapped for the limiter it will work automatically(instead of doing something radical like using an auto option) and sure enough, that's what happened.

Sometimes I really wonder about this game.

There are some strange design decisions in PC2 but IMO that isn't one of them. Your race wasn't ruined by the limiter but if you don't have one mapped then your race will almost certainly be ruined if the limiter isn't automatic. PC2 disqualifies you if you speed in the pits. Nor do I understand why you were worried about hitting the limiter by mistake. If you were so keen to not use the limiter for the historic cars -why would you do it by mistake?

Last edited:
@Sick Cylinder And @John Wells Since you guys love this great classic cars here is a Ferrari 250 GTO mod :D

Project CARS 2 Screenshot 2020.02.15 - 12.15.01.04.png
Project CARS 2 Screenshot 2020.02.15 - 12.18.57.74.png
Project CARS 2 Screenshot 2020.02.15 - 12.15.36.30.png
Project CARS 2 Screenshot 2020.02.15 - 12.19.58.12.png
Project CARS 2 Screenshot 2020.02.15 - 12.16.24.71.png
Project CARS 2 Screenshot 2020.02.15 - 12.20.31.37.png
Project CARS 2 Screenshot 2020.02.15 - 12.17.06.48.png
Project CARS 2 Screenshot 2020.02.15 - 12.21.40.25.png
Project CARS 2 Screenshot 2020.02.15 - 12.17.37.77.png
Project CARS 2 Screenshot 2020.02.15 - 12.22.37.97.png

There are some strange design decisions in PC2 but IMO that isn't one of them. Your race wasn't ruined by the limiter but if you don't have one mapped then your race will almost certainly be ruined if the limiter isn't automatic. PC2 disqualifies you if you speed in the pits. Nor do I understand why you were worried about hitting the limiter by mistake. If you were so keen to not use the limiter for the historic cars -why would you do it by mistake?

Sorry, I don't mean that my race was ruined in any way(this was just in practice anyway). I just meant that I wanted to drive without the pit limiter because I wanted to drive without the pit limiter. Since PC2 doesn't have the limiter disabled in older cars like some sims, I would prefer to turn it off myself so that if by force of habit I hit it when exiting the pits it doesn't come on(a minor annoyance but one I'd just as soon avoid). That also stops me from potentially hitting it when reaching for a nearby button which is very rare but is a possibility. Technically if you want full realism you should even disable pit speeding for older cars but I'm not that serious about things, I just thought it would be fun to manage it myself for a change.

It's all really little things that are not of major concern, but there's a really simple way to handle it in this case: turn off the limiter. Except you can't. And there is literally zero reason for that. If someone doesn't want bother with having to make sure they hit the limiter correctly, they set it to automatic. If someone doesn't want to use the limiter, they turn it off. Turning off the limiter should not turn the limiter on automatically. To me, that qualifies as a very bizarre design decision. Not one worth losing sleep over, just a "what are they thinking" thing. If you don't have a control mapped, you shouldn't have access to that function. Same goes for headlights and wipers, just the same as gas and steering and clutch. Automatic is a separate setting, not a mapping.

@Morgoth_666 -- If you assign the pit limiter to something you're sure to never use (perhaps the touchpad button on PS4, or a random keyboard letter on PC), it won't turn on automatically and you won't engage it out of habit either.

Technically if you want full realism you should even disable pit speeding for older cars
Actually that's a good point, particularly if authentic driving aids are selected. For realism it might also be an idea to have it disabled (or the limit increased) on the old recreated tracks by default.

@Morgoth_666 -- If you assign the pit limiter to something you're sure to never use (perhaps the touchpad button on PS4, or a random keyboard letter on PC), it won't turn on automatically and you won't engage it out of habit either.

That is a good workaround for when you want to be sure. I did consider doing that, but decided to just trust myself. I don't think I bumped it the whole time, but unfortunately I think I bumped just about everything else. :lol:

I thought I was prepared to just be patient around the bots, but I still wasn't ready for what they were going to do. And then of course made mistakes trying to catch back up, which if I just stayed calm would have been totally possible for even my mediocre pace at 120% - they really aren't very good there. Surprisingly only one of them DNF'ed and it wasn't the one that flipped over in front of me on the way out of the pits cutting off another car and then got smashed by the guy I was following.

What a difference a week makes lol

Banno.jpg

Even got a team 1-2 finish after taking each other out early on. Honestly they're abysmal here though, I should've lapped them at 120%. Had a series of several bizarre incidents on my outlap after Bob squandered my 30 second lead in his hour, that put me over a lap down with about 1:50 to go. I finally got my helmet unstuck from my seat cushions and started cranking out the laps I knew I could and just kept my head down to take the lead with I think 3 laps left. They can go half decent when they want to(other than where they slow down for the jumps), but can't keep it up.

Why is it that every time I try to view the replay of an endurance race, it restarts the session instead? Has happened at least twice in a row now. Lost my mileage on the track and the car lost the chance to become my furthest driven as a result.

I think Chicane refers to just pausing the game, take a break, and return later on while your console keeps running.

Btw I think I have done a 6 hour endurance race 2 or 3 times just in one run where I took bathroom brakes while being in the pits.
And just the other day I did a practice session of over 7 hours to setup my car but that is a bit different as you are not driving all the time.

How does that work
I think maybe Chikane means the PS4's "rest" function where if you set the option it will suspend the game - keeping it in memory - and power down, then continue from the same point when you power up again. So it would probably be best to pause first, perhaps in the pits, you don't want to suddenly be going flat out when it resumes!

Last edited:
I think maybe Chikane means the PS4's "rest" function where if you set the option it will suspend the game - keeping it in memory - and power down, then continue from the same point when you power up again. So it would probably be best to pause first, perhaps in the pits, you don't want to suddenly be going flat out when it resumes!
Thanks Blob If, would been good to have, option to save, switch off PS4, then start again, from were, left off.👍

@Morgoth_666 Did you physically race for over 5 hours?

No I raced 2 fuel stints of about an hour each then take a break. My T300 doesn't seem to be too stressed about it, the fan cools it off enough to shut off after a minute or two even driving for an hour plus.

Being able to switch to the auto driver is great for running longer events as you can do it basically real-time that way, but he doesn't appear to be willing to pass anybody in the same class as me, just backs off when he gets close. Not having run that long that often, I'm not sure if that's an every time thing or just an off-and-on bug.

Download it soon as it released :cheers:

Also yesterday on that discord i brought up the Mclaren F1 LM which is amazing to me with how historic this car is no one has try to mod a version into pc2?

Hopefully now someone will :)

Download it soon as it released :cheers:

Also yesterday on that discord i brought up the Mclaren F1 LM which is amazing to me with how historic this car is no one has try to mod a version into pc2?

Hopefully now someone will :)
Sadly enough they've said that they're not interested in doing race cars. I know there's different guys working on different stuff but it seems to be the sentiment in all the released content. I was able to get my hands on the TCR mod though with the extra 6-7 cars. That's a pretty good addition to that class although the audi has lods problems and unless you're right up on the car it's just the driver scraping his ass up against the ground everywhere.

Sadly enough they've said that they're not interested in doing race cars. I know there's different guys working on different stuff but it seems to be the sentiment in all the released content. I was able to get my hands on the TCR mod though with the extra 6-7 cars. That's a pretty good addition to that class although the audi has lods problems and unless you're right up on the car it's just the driver scraping his ass up against the ground everywhere.

The Mclaren F1 LM is not a race car its the road version of the race car.

Mclaren F1 GTR = Race Car
Mclaren F1 LM = Road Car

Why do people keep confusing the two versions?

The Mclaren F1 LM is not a race car its the road version of the race car.

Mclaren F1 GTR = Race Car
Mclaren F1 LM = Road Car

Why do people keep confusing the two versions?
Ah right, the road going version they made like 5 of.
I would say with your invested knowledge and love of the McLaren, there is no other that can share your understanding. :)

I had like a dozen of PC2 cars mods installed at some point and they were perfectly working inside of the game.
Then at some point, maybe when I switched from HDD to SSD, the cars are no longer visible inside of the game. However, the cars files are still inside of the folder as well as the text inside of the text file. It's been like that for like 6 months.
Any ideas?! Did the game get updated recently?! (I don't remember that). Or maybe Steam checked the files and reverted back some?!?

Edit: And did anyone find a way to race those mod cars online? Maybe a private lobby or something?!

I had like a dozen of PC2 cars mods installed at some point and they were perfectly working inside of the game.
Then at some point, maybe when I switched from HDD to SSD, the cars are no longer visible inside of the game. However, the cars files are still inside of the folder as well as the text inside of the text file. It's been like that for like 6 months.
Any ideas?! Did the game get updated recently?! (I don't remember that). Or maybe Steam checked the files and reverted back some?!?

Edit: And did anyone find a way to race those mod cars online? Maybe a private lobby or something?!
You might have to uninstall them all through JSGME, then bootfiles and then install all again. You see the cars by adding the lines to the vehicle file that's in bootfiles and if you reinstalled, that got overwritten.

Last edited:
I was wondering, is there a way to have music playing in the backgriund while being in Content Manager or in the showroom like it happens in Gran Turismo menus? I know i could use spotify or something else but I prefer non to have apps playing in the background and I should manually stop it when starting a race

Any way to race them online?
If I remember, there isn't. I think the servers do a file integrity check and the mods negate this. I'm not positive but I don't race a lot online.

Just tried the rallycross track dirtfish or something, with the lancer 1999. It's pretty damn cool. Have to admit for so many features in this game, it's pretty impressive.
Makes me wish we could set all in-game tracks to gravel. Would be cool, although there wouldn't be that much bumps etc.
And it's cool that you can just set a race on those rx tracks with any car and any # of laps etc, not just follow a standard rx race setup.

Just tried the rallycross track dirtfish or something, with the lancer 1999. It's pretty damn cool. Have to admit for so many features in this game, it's pretty impressive.
Makes me wish we could set all in-game tracks to gravel. Would be cool, although there wouldn't be that much bumps etc.
And it's cool that you can just set a race on those rx tracks with any car and any # of laps etc, not just follow a standard rx race setup.
With the seasonal/weather simulation, any short/club circuit can be a rallycross track with RX/AWD cars in rain or snow. :)

By the way, if you change the race setup to a timer instead of laps, the AI will not take a joker lap on RX circuits. Not a big deal, just FYI.

With the seasonal/weather simulation, any short/club circuit can be a rallycross track with RX/AWD cars in rain or snow. :)

By the way, if you change the race setup to a timer instead of laps, the AI will not take a joker lap on RX circuits. Not a big deal, just FYI.

Ah yeah thats true, i wasn't thinking to try different weather on them.
I wonder if snow covers the tracks? I never tried it still.

Back