Project CARS 2 General Discussion Thread - Out Now on PS4/XB1/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 12,199 comments
Some of the cars(I noticed this mostly early in the career) do seem like you can drive them far more easily and aggressively in the rain. Something obviously is a little weird there. And then I keep picking seasonal events in street cars that wind up being freezing cold in pouring rain with no tires that work in the wet at all. :)

I did this part of career before and I don’t remember Brno being so slippery with the Formula C car. I had no issues like this in the previous championship (Ginetta Junior). Same setup, ambient and track temps were more or less the same. Tires were heated nicely on both occasions. Imola has some more difficult corners but I still had more grip in the rain, really strange.

Last edited:
After posting about race classes in the GT7 thread. I jumped into the race below, as one of the examples:
EZ8OKl7UMAAlvvg

It's such a fanatstic game. Formation lap in the rain was daunting. Then, since I haven't run the 935 and this layout oin a long time, had to tip toe through a few laps. As the rain is stopping, I'm able to turn off the wipers and set about maintaining some sort of pace.
Clouds are clearing as a racing line develops. I'm still on wets and just keeping alternates sides on the wet. Tracks is getting dry, but with real time and weather synced, the damp spots in the shade and on the slow parts of the track, remain. Pit and switch to Slicks. There's pit activity, but I'm last to leave.

It's amazing when driving over the wet lines across the road and the engine revs rise and the tyres break traction for that split second. The brain reminds the relexes, of the wet braking zones approaching.

3 minutes remainig and the Group C1 cars are coming. A yellow dot is in my mirror as we approach Indianapolis. I miss my braking point from driving in the mirror. Shucks! All that 22 minutes of carefulness, thrown away in a split second! Limping to the pits with "Severe damage", about 10 Group C1 cars pass carefully. Enter the pits and engineeer says there's a clutch problem. Fall further back.

Run to the finish and reflect a bit during the cool down lap. my best lap was 9 seconds slower than the slowest AI and I completed 7 laps(along with the 31st placed Capri), 2:52.474 behind. Good game.

What I like about a racing on a drying track while still on wets is that they start to scrub & heat up quicker, so driving off line in the wet parts (like on the straights or wherever possible) to keep them cool enough to last a little longer before returning to the optimum line for the corner, while trying to avoid any standing water or puddles near the apex.

Good times.

On another note, I was messing about with fov settings tonight & thought I'd try a bit of project cars 2+1 (or 3-1 whichever way you want to look at it) & jumped in a Porsche GT3 & for a giggle I turned on all assists (everything except steering & braking).

Set my chase cam fov to 120, turned on adaptive fov, then set minimum fov to 60 & maximum fov to 120. Then minimum speed at 0 & maximum speed at 150 & hey presto.

It was harder to drive than actually racing with my normal sim settings, these newcomers to the series have no chance, by the time I'd reacted to the corner I wanted to turn at I was already at the next :confused:

Warp speed Mr Sulu :lol:

Last edited:
i had a wonderful weekend driving th P1 GTR and other cars in rain and on dry tracks. man, this game sucked me back in! :D

i can feel how driving for a couple of hours straight is making me a better driver. not only i know the tracks better but i understand the cars behaviour better as well. i was able to up my difficulty level now, due to me skills getting better, to 78/54. that might not be much to others... but i was driving 68/50 a lot before.

been driving a lot of Bands Hatch (first 3 rounds dry, last 3 little rain) and Monza. not driving Oschersleben a lot before but i find this little track quite good.

saved a video where is was driving in the rain... and even when the replays dont feature 60fps (wich is really a sad thing) and have those GT tv like cameras, it is still lovely to see how i plow through the field. :D i'm not a very good driver but i'm enjoying this game anyway! (i could upload this race if anyone is interested)
:gtpflag:

what i wanted to say: i'm happy that i got this game again (a week ago). its (still) a very nice title! :D it aged well, imo.

edit: ill trough some darkness in the mix tonight! little rain, just the headlights, 23 opponents on track... :)

generell question while i'm at it: any recommendations on how many AI drivers and what conditions might start to drag the FPS down (im on PS4 Pro)?! in custom races i tend to set it not higher than 23 opponents. a field of 24 looks nice... even when i wanted more drivers on track sometimes (like on green hell). i always used to set it to max drivers but i'm not sure if this is bringing the FPS down. i prefer a solid 60fps (59fps would be ok too)! ;)
i favor max resolution (instead of max fps or max visuals) and set the sun flare effect (ex and in) to minimal and deactiviated vifnette and crepuscular rays!

Last edited:
i'll seperate my next question for better handling when quoting.

i'm a noob when it comes to tuning (even more than the driving itself)... but the things i tinker with are ABS and TCS (plus gas in the tank and what wheels). in general i set my game to be authentic so the TCS and ABS settings should be according to the real life thing. with my basic knowdlege i thought, hey lets lower the TCS and ABS so the car brings more "power in the track". you get me... i dont mind a bit of slip when accelerating or braking (instead it should help me understand the car better and make me a better driver overall, right!?).

my first question would be: TCS at 100% means i allow maximum slip, so when accelerating the wheels might start to spin, right?! 0% would be TCS at a max, preventing wheels from spinnig!?
and ABS in this game is vice versa?! so 0% means the wheels will block on the ground when brakes are pushed to hard?! and 100% would prevent wheels from blocking, correct!?
thats the first thing i need to be clear of, as both options seem vice versa and thats a bit confusing for me. i'm used to 0=off and 10 or 100=on to the fullest.

second question: any tipps for a beginner like me regarding those 2 options?!
for example: i tried that time trail on monza with the P1 GTR in default car settings. as soon as i allow less ABS and less TCS (i want the car to be more raw) it handles totally different but in a bad way. its slower now, shifting slower and everything. i dont get that. i'm used to the following: disabling all traits like TCS and ABS should give me a "naked" car. bare bone. all down to my controller skills.
and when i set it back to car settings defaults (because i thought i might have set something totally wrong)... it still felt slower than before.
i was used to start my monza round with over 300km/h on the straight... now its at 280-290 max! hm...

third question: are perelli slicks better for time trail or perelli softs?! what are you driving in time trail?

a lot of Q's i know. but i'm fully hooked again and I WANT TO KNOW MORE! :lol: please help a "newphew of capt. slow"! ;)

Last edited:
@PRO_TOO -- As I understand it, the TCS and ABS tuning is as you described. TCS is "backwards", allowing more wheelspin on higher settings.

I don't have any experience with tuning them. I do TCS off and ABS "Low" for everything. There are control bindings for ABS and TCS; maybe setting assists to "Full" and using those controls will work more like you expect?

For my P1 GTR Monza time, I used whatever tire is equipped to the default "Loose" setup. I'm away from my PS4 at the moment.

There are control bindings for ABS and TCS; maybe setting assists to "Full" and using those controls will work more like you expect?
If mapped to a button they can be toggled between off, low and high.

It's worth noting that if using authentic and the the car has stability control, that will be on by default. TC and ABS cannot be adjusted or switched off unless SC is disabled first. That's another button to map!

If mapped to a button they can be toggled between off, low and high.

It's worth noting that if using authentic and the the car has stability control, that will be on by default. TC and ABS cannot be adjusted or switched off unless SC is disabled first. That's another button to map!

Speaking of buttons, which button is it that discharges the hybrid battery power on Audi R18, etc.? I haven't driven any of those cars in a long time but I remember hitting some button and it changed the HUD and I liked to have never figured out how to get it back.

So there some time past, when I have found myself enjoying PC over GT Sport. Already have started to have two set ups, instead one universal. One with better cooling, for twisty tracks, and currently testing low drag set up for long hauls.

At first though that those things will be hard and long to adjust, even to understand, but with intensive testing, pattern becomes more clear and half of an hours struggle transformed into quick 5 min work in engineering menu and getting decent results, even from predictions, surely from experience. The most general knowledge so far - pressures, and temp of both tires and breaks. Heard a lot of advice to change a lot of setting to get all steady, but to be honest, what I recommend to everyone, and myself, watch those first. If breaks within right temperature, even if you run on raw without abs and high breaks pressure - they will not lock so easily how if they will be too cool, what is common, or overheated. Car breaks impressively fast and steady, so much, that you can cut a lot of work from differential. Clutch differential actually helped me a lot, from baby steps, to open as possible, very fun thing to play with. Thing that saves you from almost everything, but not limit you as TC or SC do.

Regarding tires, the more right I adjust everything connected to them - the more I can freely slide, back and forth on the track, and never loosing control. Though, trail breaking kinda gone away a little from my driving, because in GT Sport it's kinda has no consequences, but in PC I'm constantly struggle with rear tires, not only pressure goes wild numbers, but how many times on 10s lap had all rear near to orange color, high temperature. Dunno, should I continue to research how to trail break and keep rear cool rear, or become better in any possible different way. Wonder if anyone have opinion on this?

Ever have that race where nothing goes right? :(

The setup
Project CARS 2_20200608185135.png

Qualifying Starts
Project CARS 2_20200608185255.png

Qualifying Results
Project CARS 2_20200608185749.png

And So The Race Starts

Maybe a little to early for such a risky pass

In 13th place after the first pit stop
Project CARS 2_20200608191609.png

Lap 24 Made my way to to first place
Project CARS 2_20200608193131.png

After the next pit stop i come out in 7th place
Project CARS 2_20200608193506.png

Lap 32 an in 4th place i try another risky pass

Lap 37 and i get into my first accident i just didn't see it in time to slow down.

After slow making my way back to pit lane and with a 55 second pit stop i exit in 11th place and one lap behind the leaders.
Project CARS 2_20200608195338.png

Lap 42 i lightly get hit and i lose my back wing. :lol: And so another pit stop coming out in 12th place.
Project CARS 2_20200608195955.png

Lap 55 and yet and i get into another accident :banghead: I just couldn't see that chrome color p1 gtr in time to stop or slow down.

And so another pit stop this time moving me down to 15th place
Project CARS 2_20200608202302.png

Last pit stop.
Project CARS 2_20200608203819.png

Race Results. Top 10
Project CARS 2_20200608204855.png

Race Results. Finished 13th place. but it was a amazing race just maybe it could had gone a little better. :(
Project CARS 2_20200608204907.png

If your like me and ever wonder how many times you can lap a Kart in a 1 hour race around Daytona oval with a super fast car in this case the p1 gtr....

..Well
xYPbXcc.jpg

Just one of those things that are pretty cool with PC2, seems fairly unlimited on the car classes that you can mix up.

If your like me and ever wonder how many times you can lap a Kart in a 1 hour race around Daytona oval with a super fast car in this case the p1 gtr....

..Well
xYPbXcc.jpg
And poor Beys will never get the credit he(?) deserves for driving as hard as he could and almost certainly in fact making it much farther than any human player would be able to.

Who needs IMSA and F1 to come back? We got @Chikane

75 laps is EPIC! You are a beast for sticking with it and not re-starting multiple times.

I was thoroughly entertained

The setup
View attachment 928522

Qualifying Starts
View attachment 928523

Qualifying Results
View attachment 928524

And So The Race Starts

View attachment 928525

View attachment 928526

View attachment 928527

Lap 37 and i get into my first accident i just didn't see it in time to slow down.

After slow making my way back to pit lane and with a 55 second pit stop i exit in 11th place and one lap behind the leaders.
View attachment 928529

Lap 42 i lightly get hit and i lose my back wing. :lol: And so another pit stop coming out in 12th place.
View attachment 928530

Lap 55 and yet and i get into another accident :banghead: I just couldn't see that chrome color p1 gtr in time to stop or slow down.

View attachment 928531

Last pit stop.
View attachment 928532

Race Results. Top 10
View attachment 928533

Race Results. Finished 13th place. but it was a amazing race just maybe it could had gone a little better. :(
View attachment 928534

The setup
View attachment 928522

Qualifying Starts
View attachment 928523

Qualifying Results
View attachment 928524

And So The Race Starts

View attachment 928525

View attachment 928526

View attachment 928527

View attachment 928529

View attachment 928530

View attachment 928531

Last pit stop.
View attachment 928532

Race Results. Top 10
View attachment 928533

View attachment 928534

Kudo's!! I know i couldn't keep my focus on for 75 laps haha. I just can't get the right feels out of playing vs computer. Playing vs real humans gives me more satisfaction because of the "human errors". But thats just in my head haha, maybe i should try more laps with AI grids.

So excited, managed 98 place in WW PS4 time trial on N24 in F1 GTR LT. Actually feel like I could break under 8 minutes mark, those 2 seconds I had on it, are spare for missed gears, slides and hitting wrong kerbs. May will try later, after gaining more experience. Generally speaking I feel the growth, and power, yeah:).

So excited, managed 98 place in WW PS4 time trial on N24 in F1 GTR LT. Actually feel like I could break under 8 minutes mark, those 2 seconds I had on it, are spare for missed gears, slides and hitting wrong kerbs. May will try later, after gaining more experience. Generally speaking I feel the growth, and power, yeah:).

Well done!!

Btw, wouldnt you like the CRAP Time Trial event? https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...noz-esperante-gtr-1-at-snetterton-200.377369/

I am having alot of fun with the combinations which have been chosen there :D I'm always dead last, but that does not matter to me. I get joy out of competing with unknown cars at unknown tracks (for me). All training ;)

Well done!!

Btw, wouldnt you like the CRAP Time Trial event? https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...noz-esperante-gtr-1-at-snetterton-200.377369/

I am having alot of fun with the combinations which have been chosen there :D I'm always dead last, but that does not matter to me. I get joy out of competing with unknown cars at unknown tracks (for me). All training ;)

Thanks!

Been on web site twice, but this is not what I want to focus on. Say this N24 run been planed for some time and a lot of failed slower attempts, this takes more time than I want to spend. For now it feels more entertaining to join as much races as possible, plus need to farm those veteran license and close trophy list for this game.

Surely those TT very interesting!

Qualifying for my F355 Challenge Custom Event. Last time I drove one of these, was in Dreamcast!

Awesome car!

Imola: I left the pits late in Practice. Got into my rhythm. Was keeping the AI in my mirror. I'd pull away in a sector and it'd catch up. Anyway, I'm hustling this bad boy. Feels good using the DS4. Round the final turn, after a few laps. Cross the line. Check my position: 28/28! I'm 2.4 seconds slower than 27th. :lol: Love this game.

Qualifying for my F355 Challenge Custom Event. Last time I drove one of these, was in Dreamcast!

Awesome car!

Imola: I left the pits late in Practice. Got into my rhythm. Was keeping the AI in my mirror. I'd pull away in a sector and it'd catch up. Anyway, I'm hustling this bad boy. Feels good using the DS4. Round the final turn, after a few laps. Cross the line. Check my position: 28/28! I'm 2.4 seconds slower than 27th. :lol: Love this game.

It’s possible I’m not that observant but I haven’t seen you posting in the PC2 thread. You’ve obviously been here a long time. I’m curious what games you’re coming from and how you would compare them to PC2? You’re already comfortable using the controller, something I am certainly not skilled enough to do.

It’s possible I’m not that observant but I haven’t seen you posting in the PC2 thread. You’ve obviously been here a long time. I’m curious what games you’re coming from and how you would compare them to PC2? You’re already comfortable using the controller, something I am certainly not skilled enough to do.
I've posted plenty in both PC threads.

Only time I've used a wheel was for Gran Turismo 4.

Played GT1-GTS, Forza games, Shift1/2 & "normal" Need For Speed games, 24H Le Mans on Dreamcast & PS1. Had PC2 and Assetto Corsa on XB1 before getting them for PS4. Members here, referenced controller set ups. I used those. I adapt to the way the cars drive.
I can control all the vintage cars in PC2 better than the modern cars. The handling communicates more, to me. Same with road cars. Those feel better than the GT3 cars. I control Group c cars better than the LMP cars.
Group A cars are tricky. Those feel like off/on switches. I either have them under control or I don't.

I used to compare other games, but think differently. I compare gameplay. That's more important. Adapting to the physics of each game, is the key. I'm not about "this one is arcadey". I'm about watching replays. Will I have fun? Can I make my own fun? Does this game allow me to play, how I want to play? I prefer GT graphics, PC customisation, AC physics. I also prefer GT quick online play, certain aspects of the car models.

I dig PC's faux liveries, the race experience, over watching replays.

AC, I love the static replay camera and the exhaustion of just completing one lap, without a mistake ahead of the AI. Even if that's for last position.

Back