Project CARS 2 General Discussion Thread - Out Now on PS4/XB1/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 12,199 comments
Well, game obviously intended to play with full simulation, then damage, so it assumes you already got your drive through penalty. I like the game doesn't treat you like a baby, but to be honest track limits could be less annoying, and punish only when you really abuse them, like in real racing.

You do get penalties/warnings for bashing into them, but yes you can intentionally give them some light contact or rub them until you convince them to back out. And since they are bots it's easy to take advantage of that if you want to. It's maybe a little too generous, except on the warmup lap. If the rest of it worked like the warmup laps do it would be insufferable.

I personally try to race as fair as I can so my level of when I should give a spot back is much lower than what usually gets the warning. Like with most games there are even ways to take advantage of their thought process and trick them into slowing down without even making contact, and I try to avoid doing that whenever possible too. If I hold my line but they do something stupid that makes them back off then so be it.

Thanks to the PCCP races I've been reminded how easy it is to force your way by without triggering a penalty and race control does err on the side of rubbin's racin' for sure. In normal play I reserve the really aggressive stuff for desperate last-lap passes I absolutely need, or getting back past bots that have "wronged" me. :)

I do wish you could set it to skip the time penalties entirely and just do drive-throughs. I'm still not sure how that works as when messing about I've built up way more time penalties than I've set in the menu without ever getting a drive-through.

PS, loved wreckfest, finished it
Can you ever completely finish a racing game? There's surly always at least 1 more race to do. :)

Has @Morgoth_666 says lifting helps prevent or reduce penalties - it doesn't see you gaining an advantage. Also it seems that increasing the Allowable Time Penalty option gives you much more time to get rid of the slow down message. Although if you keep ignoring them you get a greater penalty. A bit more like real life rules actually.
I tend to run with it at 20 - 25. I don't usually have drive through enabled - the bots never get penalties so why should I. :P

@Mr Grumpy Don't worry about it i wasn't really offended :P

Well today i had a revelation in pcars 2 :bowdown: You see my helmet cam field of view settings have always been 75 which is pretty close to the steering wheel but after watching a youtuber streaming pc 3 yesterday and seeing how far back is field of view was i move it up to 95 and boy what a different being that far back it just feels right way better fov and sense of speed.

Love it :D

I just noticed that the helmet is not showing for me even if i'm on helmet cam with show helmet on? Then i remember there's a glitch that if you have your helmet cam setting above 89 the helmet doesn't show and it never got fix.

So sad to know a glitch like this is never gonna get fix. :(

@Morgoth_666 "or getting back past bots that have "wronged" me. :)"
lol i like the way you have given the bots enough credit to actually think that they know what they are doing, i wish they did.
My last race (which i did upload the last two laps of, to the video section, yesterday, Oulton Park, check it out), the bot actually under cut me brilliantly when i slightly out braked myself. I was so pleased to see a bot acting properly and taking advantage of my mess up. Mostly i find the bots just hang back too much, even though i have aggression on 100, they are not aggressive enough.

@Morgoth_666 "or getting back past bots that have "wronged" me. :)"
lol i like the way you have given the bots enough credit to actually think that they know what they are doing, i wish they did.
My last race (which i did upload the last two laps of, to the video section, yesterday, Oulton Park, check it out), the bot actually under cut me brilliantly when i slightly out braked myself. I was so pleased to see a bot acting properly and taking advantage of my mess up. Mostly i find the bots just hang back too much, even though i have aggression on 100, they are not aggressive enough.

Lol I never said I expect them to learn the lessons I teach them!

I've consistently found that a lot of their most dangerous "aggressive" behavior isn't really affected by that slider. It seems to affect how likely they are to back out in a side-by-side situation, but you can still scare them into backing off if you try. It may also affect how often they will pull out of line to have a look but I can't say for sure. Even on low aggression they will still go flying up the inside in corners where there line is a little different than yours if they take the entry really fast(even if that means passing you with all four wheels in the grass) and stuff it into the tiniest little gaps when you get a little out of sorts mid corner. My theory is that they just lose sight of you when you aren't exactly on the line that they prefer.

But with it turned up higher like you say they still don't seem to really try proper overtakes in any places they wouldn't at a lower setting, they're just more willing to stay in it once they are already there. Opinions on that slider vary widely. Some people leave it high so they will fight a little harder, some like it lower to reduce(but by no means eliminate) their erratic behavior.

Not really a glitch. More like a design decision.
Wrong it was comfrim to be a glitch back a few years ago that never got fix

The fact that the setting with show helmet on goes up to 89 then the helmet disappears even if you still have show helmet on is a glitch not a design decision.

The fact that the setting with show helmet on goes up to 89 then the helmet disappears even if you still have show helmet on is a glitch not a design decision
I'm not sure. If you think about it as you increase the FOV to a wide setting eventually you're going to see more of the inside of the helmet - which is fixed to your head. It'd result in black bands around your view. I suppose they could have made the helmet itself static and just widened the view beyond, but perhaps that wasn't possible.

Mugello was hell, but I followed yours advice and adopted for 2 gear, was slightly slower at turns but super stable and felt much more comfortable. Thank you guys! I won at class, so I dedicate my win to GT planet great folks:cheers::lol:
Good job. I know that car's difficult to drive though never drove a serious enough race to figure out how it works.

Had fun today with Carrera RSR, and despite the fact it is somewhat first stage of 935, it is so much different car. It is very slow, it controls like a dream, taking corners with so much ease and so high speed, it is hard to disbalance the car, it is easy to break, it doesn't really need any differential at all, it is very soft.

@paulpg87 No major issues, they are just as they were.

@Chikane_GTR Did you knew about this?

EgQxzqgX0AIqYsE

Last edited:
I rebought PC2 today, and I'm loving it so far. Glad I've given PC2 a second (maybe third) chance, one of my favorite racing games from this generation.

Le Mans Classic is currently my testing grounds. The car list is amazing! R89C is my most used car in the game at the moment.

To also add: I'm a lot better this time, I play on the DS4 because I don't have room for a set up in my room, so I just play with controller... But I feel more comfortable and in more control on track than I did before. PC2 also looks stunning, the sun set on this game around Dusk is beautiful.

Last edited:
Did you know there's a trick regarding not losing your pit box to the AI when it occupied :)

As long as you have manual pit stops on (pit box can still be highlighted) when you're ready to pit for any reason (tyres, fuel, damage..... you know the stuff that's not in PC3 :)).
Just enter the pits (do not request a pit stop from the ICM) & you'll overlap whoever is in your pit box & they'll start working on your car :)
The game will still tell you that the pit box is occupied, but just stop in your highlighted box anyway.

Just curious, is it will be worth, if compatibility patch with next gen consoles will be something simple, to try reach SMS and ask to bring PC2. I know companies, SMS, and CM for instance, by no mean any soft heart deal, but... a little patch.

Just curious, is it will be worth, if compatibility patch with next gen consoles will be something simple, to try reach SMS and ask to bring PC2. I know companies, SMS, and CM for instance, by no mean any soft heart deal, but... a little patch.
I would make soft serve in my pantaloons if they did anything to PC2 ever again. Someone has better luck finding the arc of the covenant before SMS patches PC2.

No need. Just buy a Xbox Series X & all will be fine.

So after Le Mans I ran a "quickie" enduro whilst rather... shall we say... not at my best. :cheers:

On the one hand, I managed a GTE podium that I in no way deserved -- drove pretty good in the second half all things considered but was a literal wreck in the first half and had fallen at least a minute behind before I settled in. I think that having tire wear on accelerated may break races like that since by default the AI tires seem to wear out completely at the end of a fuel stint already. The bots appeared to be stopping every half an hour for a new set of hards while I could've surely made mine last the whole race. Softs would've been better for the temperature but I had opted for hards to keep my times a bit closer to the AI. I did change them in both my stops. I didn't make a note of how many they took but it was too many.

On the other hand... I happened to notice this guy running in the P1 Hybrid class:
rlr7brP.jpg

I'm guessing he must be some distant cousin of noted real people Willy Swerve, Max Throttle and Miles Behind.

By the way, it is extremely difficult to get a Porsche into the GTE class even with 12 AI(took me about 10 re-rolls). Clearly the game randomizes entrants based on liveries, not makes. So with only I think 2 Porsches and 5-ish Ferraris it tends to make for some pretty uneven fields.

I happened to notice this guy
I've noticed a few of those names that make you laugh. I'll have to start noting them down.

Clearly the game randomizes entrants based on liveries, not makes.
It would be interesting to know how the game picks the AI entrants and if they are rated differently. For instance does Hugh Jengine have the same abilities if you meet him again, is he a front runner or a back marker every time. If you alter the sliders do you get different AI entrants. I know Ian Bell is amongst the names, I wouldn't think he'd want to be a slow AI. :)

I've never really tried this idea out, I might have to experiment - although there does seem to be a large number of names!

I've noticed a few of those names that make you laugh. I'll have to start noting them down.

It would be interesting to know how the game picks the AI entrants and if they are rated differently. For instance does Hugh Jengine have the same abilities if you meet him again, is he a front runner or a back marker every time. If you alter the sliders do you get different AI entrants. I know Ian Bell is amongst the names, I wouldn't think he'd want to be a slow AI. :)

I've never really tried this idea out, I might have to experiment - although there does seem to be a large number of names!

I have noticed that if you re-run championships in career mode, you get some different entrants but the ones that were up front do tend to still be up front. Not exactly the same and of course the differences between the cars drives who has a shot at wins, but there does seem to be something to it. Custom races are a bit more varied so I can't say whether those same drivers are consistently fast there.

So, back in the time few months ago, when I have started true run on Project Cars 2, I was talking about weird abs mid corner problem. Through 24 of Nürburgring live action English commentators made this point clear:
So ABS indeed works longer than exactly breaking, making a car much more easier to control for a beginner, but making unwanted changes in balance, which creates difficulty in more advanced driving. Project Cars 2 have very realistic approach here and it wasn't my imagination or lack of experience. Interesting fact!

Back