Project CARS 2 General Discussion Thread - Out Now on PS4/XB1/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 12,199 comments
Hi @IanBell

Is addressed in PC2 the bug with RANDOM weather slots and "Sync to race"? If you chose several slots (for example 3 random slots) and Sync to race, the weather was always the same, with no variation at all...

Will be possible a qualifying with rain and a sunny race, or viceversa? In PC1 it's no possible.

Here more info about the issue:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?46132-Random-weather-in-several-slots

A video with the bug:

Thanks for your info, the weather system in PC1 was very confused...

YES. All the yes!

This place is worth inclusion in a racing game of some description just for the visuals between turns two and three.

09-15_AD-Racing_0131_[Stefan-Mehl-Ludvigsen].jpg

09-18_Dennis-Lind_14[Kaiser].jpg

What a fantastic track! If the team are twiddling their thumbs after Interlagos... ;)

What I find amusing is that @IanBell has actually answered more questions in the past few days than Kazunori Yamauchi did the entire time his Q&A Sub-Forum was up, and that was an official partnership between Kaz and GTP :lol:

Anyway, definitely looking forward to this more than any other racing game in recent memory. Definitely has the potential to unseat V8 Supercars 3 (ToCa 3) as my favourite racing game of all time. The fact the creator of this game is so in touch with the community is tremendous. Keep up the fantastic job guys! :)👍

Small update on Interlagos. We've made contact with the nice people at the circuit and have also sourced a laser scan.

As soon as the team catch a breath they'll start working on it.
Wow that was quick! Seriously impressive turnaround there and telling us about it is all the more appreciated. I love Interlagos and it gets criminally overlooked in racing titles.

I hope one of your favourite cars is the 2016 Toyota TS050-HYBRID after it's 24h du Mans heartbreak...
💡

Last edited:
Hi @IanBell, i'm GAVRANOVIC1991 of PS4 and Project Cars Community GAVRA Racing (the biggest PS4 community about PCars we are about 9K people). I wanted to congratulate for the work you did in Project Cars i really like this game and i'm looking forward for that Pcars 2 come out. I wanted to ask you same things:
1. Is there the possibility that the game coming out before september?
2. Is there the possibility that our community is sponsored by you or there is a possibility that you can help us?
3. Does all tracks on Pcars 1 there will be in PCARS2?
4. Will the number of tracks be over 60, i mean there's the possibility that the number of track will be increased?
5. Is there a possibility that Interlagos isn't a DLC?
6. Last thing a part Long Beach there will other streets circuit like Macau, Adelaide, Detroit? Because i think one of
the strengths of this game is the variety of tracks.
Excuse me for all these questions, i'm a fan of this game and i wanted know some things about it. Thanx

Excuse me again i forgot to ask you if there will be an option for set qualify like in F1, i mean the host can decide if qualify is divised in Q1 Q2 and Q3, does the online lobbies will have more than 16 drivers? And it will be possible to force all drivers to drive without vitual line?
Excuse me again.

Hi @IanBell

Is addressed in PC2 the bug with RANDOM weather slots and "Sync to race"? If you chose several slots (for example 3 random slots) and Sync to race, the weather was always the same, with no variation at all...

Will be possible a qualifying with rain and a sunny race, or viceversa? In PC1 it's no possible.

Here more info about the issue:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?46132-Random-weather-in-several-slots

A video with the bug:

Thanks for your info, the weather system in PC1 was very confused...

Hi... It's quite difficult to set up the weather system for sure.. But really didn't find any bug...but you have to learn to set it up properly..

That was in the official support forum...i recomend to read it an try it out... Hope it helps you like it did to me:

This has been posted by Elmo (written by a development weatherman) on the official forum about how the weather system is supposed to work.

===================================

Internally weather system we have is actually quite robust in how it can receive weather forecast information.

The way it works is that you can feed it a condition and how long that condition will last for. With that information it will create a timeline that will playout. It works basically on a 24 hour clock.

Saying all that we did not expose all this functionality to the player because frankly we thought it was a little bit of overkill..
(As you all know PCars was a co-operative development and I think we forget a little how a simple menu like this can be confusing to people only buying the game anew.)

Ok so when you look at the screen the first option you can see is a menu item called weather slots
Here you can select between 1 and 4 slots.
Using these slots, the race setup will feed a weather timeline into the weather system.

Each slot represents what the weather will be at the top of every hour with slot 1 being the race start time slot 2 race start time +1 hour and so on. We repeat this cycle over a 24 hour period.

For example we setup a system with 2 weather slots one rainy one clear and the race time at 2pm.
Race setup will feed a timeline to the weather system something like this:
at 2pm weather will be rainy and it will be like that for 40 mins.
at 3pm weather will be clear and it will be like that for 50 mins ...
at 4pm weather will be rainy and it will last 53 mins...
at 5pm weather will be clear and it will last 35 mins ..

What this will do is when you start the race it will be raining and will so for the first 40mins.
Then at 2:40pm the weather will start to clear up and by 3pm it will be fully clear and stay that way till 3:50pm and so on.
(note the time the weather would last for is random, it was thought exposing info like this would again be too much information)

Ok so that's all simple enough. Now where it gets a little confusing

Somewhere along the development process people wanted to decouple the weather from the day and night cycle.

So for example they wanted the weather to be changing a lot but have the time of day to stay the same.

So what we did was decouple the weather timeline progression (Weather Progression) from the day night (Time Progression) .
This meant for example you could have the weather speed at 60 i.e 1 second equals 1 min but time of day at real time.

So in the example above
if we had the weather progression at realtime it would take 40 mins for the weather to start to transition to rainy.
But if we set it to 60 it would only take 40 seconds.

Then later in the project it was proposed that instead of the weather timeline being a time based thing people wanted it to happen based on how the race progressed..
So a new option was added to the Weather progression slider called "sync to race"
So the way it works is each slot would represent a proportion of the race, so if we had 2 slots they would represent the the first and second half of the race , if 4 slots then each quarter of the race.

So again taking our above example it would mean the following.
The Start of the race as always rainy and the end of the race would always be clear.
e.g If you had a 2 lap race you would start of raining and the time the leader went started the second lap the weather would be clear

hope to see most of listed tracks :

But i'm dreaming ;-)

WEC :
already here : Silverstone, Spa‐Francorchamps, LE MANS BUGATTI, Nürburgring, FUJISPEEDWAY
- WEC 6 Hours of Mexico, Circuit of the Americas, Shanghai, Bahrain

Last edited:
One thing I was unhappy about in pCARS1 was when choosing liveries it had the car slowly rotating on screen, and sometimes you wouldn't really be able to tell if the livery looked good or not until waiting several seconds for the car to rotate to a suitable angle. Having a fixed angle of the car whilst choosing a livery would be a good thing.
or be able to overrule the auto rotation and rotate the car manually
We have something planned that will cover both your concerns. :)

@The Owl How long can replays be in PCARS 2?
Can't comment on this for now, still a long road ahead but it won't be less than PC1.

Trying to ask the SMS owl here:

1. Will Project CARS 2 utilise DirectX 12 or Vulkan?
  2. Does Project CARS 2 utilise a great deal of multiple processor cores and/or threads?
  3. I have a Core i7-860 processor in my computer (last time I built a new computer was back in 2010). Will the i7-860 make the cut for pCARS 2 or will I need to get a new computer with a much faster processor (e.g. i7-7000 Kaby Lake or upcoming Skylake-E or AMD's upcoming Zen processors)?
  4. What about "borderless" windowed mode? I don't like the idea of a fullscreen mode where I don't have access to other apps (especially in a multi-screen environment). And on pCARS 1, gameplay is disabled whenever I use another app on my computer...will pCARS 2 fix that? At the same time I play pCARS 1 at the moment I use Google Chrome and/or VLC media player.
  5. I want a bit more fine tuning on the timed race length (e.g. 90 minutes or five or ten hours) and simulation rate (Gran Turismo 5/6 simulation time selection ranges from x1 to x60 in increments of one; pCARS 1 have preset for x1, x2, x5, x10, x20, x30 and x60, but not increments of one). Will pCARS 2 have finer tuning on these?
1. We can't comment on that yet, you will know more along the road.
2. About the same as PC1, but you will know the proper details along the road.
3. It's early to tell since there's a lot of optimization yet to be done, once we announce the requirements you will have a better idea.
4. Can't comment on this yet, but we're aware it's a requested item from the community.
5. There will be some improvements on the UI fine tuning yes

Multiplayer track selection in pCars on PS4 had a handful of tracks that were not 100% usable online (straight to race, no practice, qualifying ect) Most of those did not have functional pitlanes in the shorter configurations. But even the ones that did (Stowe, Horse Thief) were treated the same.

I understand adding those sessions to tracks without pitlanes might not be feasible, but have the shorter tracks with pitlanes been fixed to allow the various sessions, and therefore be usable with online multiplayer?
We can't comment yet on this, there's new tech we've been adding which still requires a bit more of work before we can say anything for sure. :)

Is there any info about how the FFB system will work on pCARS 2 vs 1? Besides having that monster of a system to tweak through, then also adjust per car to balance it.. it also has bugs.. Example after taking the time to setup a race, practice, qualify, then get to the start of the race and.. :banghead::nervous: the wheel is vibrating like crazy or the FFB is completely gone.. and you dont even bother racing but just pull to the side so the others in the room can run the race in the lobby you started.

Sure all this dynamic weather stuff is pretty.. but you know 90% of the racing will be done in daylight on dry surface just like how it is now. It is a nice touch, pCARS has wonderful features, but it was the issues with FFB that I am more concerned about in pCARS 2 and I really hope they worked through that because man.. everything else they bring as far as options and features is stellar.
Like mentioned previously the FFB has received a massive improvement in all aspects, thanks to the the help of our WMD2 community and several of the Pro Drivers/Partners we have working with us, who have been providing us with valuable feedback.

Small update on Interlagos. We've made contact with the nice people at the circuit and have also sourced a laser scan.

As soon as the team catch a breath they'll start working on it.

Not sure if already brought up but will you feature a robust photo-mode? would be great to take advantage of all these beautiful visuals ;)

Hi again i've not received a reply :lol:
Hi @IanBell, i'm GAVRANOVIC1991 of PS4 and Project Cars Community GAVRA Racing (the biggest PS4 community about PCars we are about 9K people). I wanted to congratulate for the work you did in Project Cars i really like this game and i'm looking forward for that Pcars 2 come out. I wanted to ask you same things:
1. Is there the possibility that the game coming out before september?
2. Is there the possibility that our community is sponsored by you or there is a possibility that you can help us?
3. Does all tracks on Pcars 1 there will be in PCARS2?
4. Will the number of tracks be over 60, i mean there's the possibility that the number of track will be increased?
5. Is there a possibility that Interlagos isn't a DLC?
6. Last thing a part Long Beach there will other streets circuit like Macau, Adelaide, Detroit? Because i think one of
the strengths of this game is the variety of tracks.

Excuse me for all these questions, i'm a fan of this game and i wanted know some things about it. Thanx
Excuse me again i forgot to ask you if there will be an option for set qualify like in F1, i mean the host can decide if qualify is divised in Q1 Q2 and Q3, does the online lobbies will have more than 16 drivers? And it will be possible to force all drivers to drive without vitual line? Will you add a track editor?
Excuse me again.

@IanBell

Q1: I've noticed when playing with others that set up a day and night progression, they always have to try and calculate the proper progression speed to simulate 6, 12, and 24 hours. Is it possible that we can get a "Sync to Race" setting, similar to weather, that can set the race to simulate 6, 12, and 24 hours?

Q2: In PCARS 1, we had a cool online setting that forced everyone to pit. Unfortunately, you weren't forced to do anything within the pits, meaning it was a stop/go or a quick repair. Can we add to this by forcing a tire compound change (or normal tire change for single dry compound cars)?

Ian, What do you have for the United States fan base. I know you said you had a few surprises. Daytona, Indy, Texas, Watkins Glen, and Sonama are confirmed. I'm hoping some of the tracks originally meant for PCARS1 are in.. Charolette (Concord), Dover etc. Also Hope we have a decent NASCAR season in career to do as a main teir. Also hoping for Chevy Stock Cars.

Where was Sonoma confirmed? That is suspiciously still missing form the track reveal photo at the official site. Most other tracks from PC1 that made it to PC2 have been added already. The big missing ones are Spa, Monza and Sonoma.

Just a general point guys that I really appreciate all the questions and kind words. I can't answer everything as we have a detailed marketing roll out plan and I don't want to steal the thunder there. I also can't speak much on content specifics but I can state that no one will be disappointed in the amount of new (and revamped from old) content. We're having to seriously rework how we compress data to fit everything on the DVD.
Day 1 patch of 50 GB. Problem solved ;)

If this game was syncronized with real weather it was fantastic
Imagine we run today in SPA and in the real world at SPA rains.In the game rains too
It´s possible to do that?
Sorry my english

This game is shaping up to be a cracker. 👍
Really looking forward to it.

Excited to see a proposed release date, even if it's just ball-park.
And some of the details of the game sound awesome.

It must be said, the posts from the head of the SMS studios keeping prospective players informed is brilliant.
Don't burn yourself out too quick @IanBell. ;)
We hope to continue to read more from you as the months progress. 👍

Thanks for that girabyt3.

You know, when you say there are a lot of tracks developers don't know of there, it also implies that others don't know of them either, which perpetuates the lack of inclusion.

We are known for including less famous tracks in pCARS though so thanks a bunch for these pointers. I'll have the team look into it.

And I absolutely LOVE Project CARS for that, thanks a million. Thanks for letting me know gems like BRNO, Zuhai and Ruapuna, before PCars 1 I never even heard of them and I absolutely love those tracks. I'm personally sick and tired of the Nordschleife overdose (but I still want the track in for the occasion :P)

The Sixth Axis hands on with Pcars 2

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2017/02/10/video-hands-on-with-project-cars-2/

Two things I picked up that I might have missed from before.

Track condition in regard to being rubbered-in is persistent and can last form session to session.;

Weather can be regional across the track, allowing it to be raining at one part of the track, but dry at another.

Hmm that is interesting. I also have heard (I think Andy Tutor in a video from the Swedish conference) mention that if you wanted to you could skip practice and qualifying completely and only focus on races during career. So, question for Ian : Is the track in the main race different then (in better shape) if you drove on it in practice and qualifying as well, compared to just skipping it completely? I hope it will be. :)

@ Ian :

On the car selection screen in Project CARS 1 (my garage) the camera slowly pans automatically around the car. Would it be possible to allow us to manually pan the camera? It's really annoying when you are deciding on a livery (or a car) than you cannot rotate the car yourself to view it from all angles.

nvm - the owl beat me to it answering a similar question ;)

Last edited:
Back