Project CARS 2 General Discussion Thread - Out Now on PS4/XB1/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 12,199 comments
I have a question for Ian that I'd love answered:

Is there any chance having letterboxed triple-screen emulation on a single screen, and to have this available on consoles? I'd then buy a massive telly for my racing rig. ;)

Something like this:

I'm trying to work out whether this could also improve technical performance, as only one third of the screen is being updated.

setting a custom desktop resolution should work no? It's how I was able to capture 4k before I actually got a 4k display before. (under desktop properties/nvidia panel + add custom resolution)

Not sure if this actually works for that or not, but might be worth a shot in the meantime.

very thin ice but a suggestion: make a link with the real weather for the tracks or is that too innovative? Do you choose to race in Sweden in winter the chance for snow is about 99,9%. But better choose a track in Belgium, Netherlands, UK that'll change every hour ;)

That's already in the current release.... at least on PC side. That's how Real Weather currently works. The game communicates with the https://openweathermap.org site using their API.

Hello Ian,

I have a question for players who do not play online. I must say that you have done a very great job on the Esport and this is greatly appreciated by the players, the teams online. But what about solo mode? Will we have an offline custom championship? It's boring to make an excel table to postpone the results especially as we never have the same starting grid from one race to another. The game offers a lot of plossibility to set the races and I think the offline custom championship would exploit them fully. Thanks

Yes, much more detailed and varied than we had in pCARS1.

Great news.

@IanBell
Rudskogen is a lovely Scandanavian track that I think really deserves some love.

View attachment 626889

YES. All the yes!

This place is worth inclusion in a racing game of some description just for the visuals between turns two and three.

09-15_AD-Racing_0131_[Stefan-Mehl-Ludvigsen].jpg

09-18_Dennis-Lind_14[Kaiser].jpg

I wish this thread hadn't turned into a wish list.

Well, what can you really expect when this is the very same website that a certain PS exclusive developer said he would visit the "wishlist" section and talk to people but never did. This is kind of the chance to have that since Ian here is being so kind as to indulge us just a little bit.

Sorry for jumping some quotes but they are either something that we can't disclose at the moment or for Ian to reply.

@IanBell

A few Q's and requests, if I may:

1. Is there the possibility of an optional super-wide camera angle for cockpit view on single screens, one that shows both side mirrors in their entirety, and a clearer view of cars alongside you? This could be a letterboxed view emulating double- or triple-screen set-ups.
  2. Are the GUI and menus being revised for quick and slick intuitive access, with minimal cycling through pages, drilling down into submenus and backing out? It was a bit of a chore navigating around the pCARS GUI and logic seemed lacking in some instances (eg back out to save in some instances, press 'X' to save in others).
  3. Could we please have better options for quick races, eg where fuel is set automatically depending on the race length (or even accessible on a quick pre-race menu, without having to set a practice session or back all the way out to your garage)?
  4. Could there be different replay camera angles on alternating laps? I know you are doing a lot of work to mimic real-life TV broadcast camera angles, but having several views of the same scene could help replays remain fresh and interesting.
  5. Is there any chance of backfires being more explosive? Recent footage suggests overrun pops and crackles have been audibly cranked up for pCARS 2, but visually these still show the 'slow burn' flamethrower type from pCARS 1. If these were mixed up with more instantaneous, explosive backfires then the variety could look fantastic. Both types exist in real motorsport and they are always thrilling to see.
Many thanks. I'm hearing nothing but positive comments from WMD insiders about pCARS 2 and know the team is pulling out all stops to ensure that the execution matches the grand ambition. It looks absolutely fantastic from what I've seen thus far.

1. There will be support for 21:9, but what you're asking seems a bit of a stretch on a 16:9.

2. Yes, the UI design and UX have been improved significantly (more like a revolution). We have Fernando Pedace from WMD1 as our designer, if you recall his concept work for PC1 you can start imagining how awesome it is going to be. The idea is to simplify and allow the user to quickly do the changes he needs and jump straight into the events.

3. Yes you can.

4. Can't disclose anything on this at the moment :)

5. We're planning on improving them yes.

Has the User Interface been improved to allow for Pit Stop Strategies to be created/modified during an Online Race?

Ideally there would be there some way to bring up a sub-menu while you are on the track, without Pausing the game, that can allow for the driver to modify fuel load, tire compound, tire pressures, and damage repair.

Yes, you'll know more in further updates.

2. Yes, the UI design and UX have been improved significantly (more like a revolution). We have Fernando Pedace from WMD1 as our designer, if you recall his concept work for PC1 you can start imagining how awesome it is going to be. The idea is to simplify and allow the user to quickly do the changes he needs and jump straight into the events.

For hype reasons, I need to find these. :)

Well, what can you really expect when this is the very same website that a certain PS exclusive developer said he would visit the "wishlist" section and talk to people but never did. This is kind of the chance to have that since Ian here is being so kind as to indulge us just a little bit.
This is just an excuse for taking this thread off topic.

1. There will be support for 21:9, but what you're asking seems a bit of a stretch on a 16:9.

3. Yes you can.

4. Can't disclose anything on this at the moment :)

5. We're planning on improving them yes.

Many thanks indeed! Very encouraging.

Ref point 1, I posted a video a couple of pages back of an ultra-letterboxed view that basically replicated what you'd see on triple monitors, but displayed on just one screen with very thick black bars top and bottom. It makes everything much smaller but the wider FoV that incorporates both wing mirrors and vehicles alongside would make for much better spatial awareness (and immersion) than you normally get on a single screen. It is, after all, why people invest in triple-display rigs.

Edit: added the video below again for quick reference.

For us lowly console users triple monitors isn't an option, so the possibility of emulating that FoV on a single screen could be very appealing, albeit in extreme letterbox form. Even if twin monitors was emulated on one screen it would be a huge improvement in the FoV, and with huge 4k TVs being relatively cheap these days, display size can be increased to negate the letterboxing while still keeping exceptional clarity.

Are you saying there's a technical barrier why something like this wouldn't be possible, because the video I posted a few pages back shows that it visually does work on a single screen?

Thanks again for the earlier answers, it's very much appreciated.

@IanBell
One question about the car selection...
for sample Ferraris: do we get the street cars (F40, F50, Enzo, 599 GTO) or do we get the race versions (F40 Competizione, F50 GT, FXX, 599XX)?

Second question: any chance of having a great austrian track in PCars2?

Thanks and can't wait for this great game!

Here saved you the trouble :P https://www.flickr.com/photos/127221745@N04/albums/72157646969755282

Note: The concept in the link above is not the one from PC2, it's a concept made for PC1.
One thing I was unhappy about in pCARS1 was when choosing liveries it had the car slowly rotating on screen, and sometimes you wouldn't really be able to tell if the livery looked good or not until waiting several seconds for the car to rotate to a suitable angle. Having a fixed angle of the car whilst choosing a livery would be a good thing.

One thing I was unhappy about in pCARS1 was when choosing liveries it had the car slowly rotating on screen, and sometimes you wouldn't really be able to tell if the livery looked good or not until waiting several seconds for the car to rotate to a suitable angle. Having a fixed angle of the car whilst choosing a livery would be a good thing.

or be able to overrule the auto rotation and rotate the car manually

Good point. With regards to the car selection screen I also didn't fancy the picture that much, because of the asphalt in the background and the upwards angle of the shot:

project-cars-3.png

This:

qqxQoSO.jpg

With the nice black background and the car looking more waxed is already a big improvement. Being able to quickly flick left and right through the liveries (which I suppose the 2 arrows under the car are meant for), would top it off.

Back