Project CARS 2 General Discussion Thread - Out Now on PS4/XB1/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 12,199 comments
As long as they add more historic race cars (hopefully Ferrari, knowing their history with them), and add the historic tracks that were cut from Pcars 1, I'll be pretty happy.

...Well, I'm also expecting the physics to be more consistent this time around too. No more 0 camber exploits please SMS lol.

I'm not unhappy to hear about an increase in road cars.
I've had some really good league races with the road cars in PCARS1.

Obviously SMS can gauge the likely benefits of historical tracks for their user base by examining the amount of laps run on the pCARS 1 tracks (mostly DLC admittedly). I suspect the audience for those tracks is tiny.

More "road" cars makes a lot of sense in a game where loose surfaces are a key addition. I would expect proper rally(cross) race cars and lots of off-road capable non-race cars to go along with the dirt, snow, ice, mud, etc... Heck, if they were to throw in Dakkar or CORR type trucks it would be awesome!

I think SMS also needs to update a number of track models to compete with the laser scan competition, especially some of the poor ones in pCARS 1. A few extra road tracks wouldn't hurt, but the pCARS 1 selection is excellent so I think their time is best spent developing tracks with other surfaces.

In the end, pCARS 2 is shaping up to become the spiritual sim successor to Codemasters Race Driver series. And since it will launch after Gran Turismo Sport and Forza 7 that is a good idea to offer selling points. pCARS 1 had it easy on the PS4 with almost no competition, but the sequel has many more competitors and the bugged launch of the first release to overcome.

Sounds great, because I'm banking on the PCARS brand to replace Forza or GT for me. In spite of the first game's shaky execution, it's the only ray of light I see for the singleplayer driving/racing simulator genre. It's also in SMS's best interest, because the time is ripe for a Gran Turismo alternative on PS4. Forza is a much healthier competitor, but IMHO it has stagnated since FM4/FH1, coasting on its success and casual appeal.

Not to put words in @TheElbows' mouth, but it's not fair to associate certain types of cars or tracks exclusively with "casual" play, as is commonly the case. I think roadcars are the most rewarding cars to drive in a hardcore simulator, and they'll be valuable not only on mixed-surface tracks like @skazz said, but especially on touge and related street courses if those are still in the cards. There are those of us who want to drift an AE86 down a mountain pass with truly simulation-grade physics and details. It doesn't cease to be a simulation just because you've departed the confines of a racetrack behind the wheel of a street-legal car.

Last edited:
A lot of recent developments with marques being added to the game. Some obscure, some big. Sadly I have to report an increasing number of road cars. While there are plenty of races cars in progress the game is far more heavily road-car at this point than the last game. That's not a move in a direction I'm happy about - but it is what it is. Sadly I'd say the game car list is very much leaning in a Forza/GT direction and not a dedicated racing series direction.

Track-wise it'll be a lot of revised PCars tracks with some new ones. Sadly not seeing a large push in the direction of historical tracks. The current tracks they're keeping are getting updates (new lighting, new backgrounds, etc.).

I honestly have a bad feeling about this "road cars" and loose surface stuff... As one that enjoyed PCars 1 a lot i feel like they are wasting time and effort with them. No clue why the hell they wished to go with "loose surface" stuff.

Make a freaking racetrack sim and give us racecars... I can drive normal cars everyday >_>

PCARS should be a racing focused game, and 75 (race)/25 (road) mix of cars. To hear its leaning towards road cars and loose surfaces (assuming rally cross) is not pleasant news (look I love rally cross, but not interested it driving a road car on a WRX track). Also disappointed with the lack of historic tracks. Overall its not brilliant sounding to be honest. Will wait for footage before thinking about it any more, but more than ever hoping Codemasters makes the DiRT Rally equivalent to GRID or TOCA now.

Count me in the group that is not excited about loose surface. SMS should concentrate on making the best tarmac sim racer as possible. Leave rally to Codemasters. If pCARS was a perfect 10, I can understand SMS thinking,"Well, we can't add anything else to it; let's branch out and take on rally." But there are plenty of areas of improvement from pCARS 1. I fear pCARS 2 will be too ambitious and have similar issues at launch as pCARS 1.

Well that's not good. I didn't enjoy driving road cars in project cars 1 because of the floaty physics for them. Unless they improve the physics for road cars, I'm not all up for this.

Overambitiousness is definitely a concern, but unless a WMD member is willing to hint about it there's no telling yet on how bad it is. I expect it to be something of a problem, but I also respect SMS for having that rare (nowadays) ambition in this genre.

Make a freaking racetrack sim and give us racecars... I can drive normal cars everyday >_>
You're an extraordinarily lucky, wealthy, and reckless individual if you can drive popular, celebrated, and historical roadcars up to 10/10ths and even into serious accidents, on sanctioned circuits or public roads, with no repercussions, every day. ;)

I just went and did a quick head-count. I'm sure these numbers are off by one or two. It's not as bad as I feared, namely owing to two manufacturers who have predominantly race cars featured.

New "street" cars (includes hypercars etc.): 33
New "race" cars (includes a few from the first game updated to 2016 specs, etc.): 47

So the proportion might be a little higher but there is still hope.
Phew.

@TheElbows

Any internal info should stay internal.
Yes, no specifics unless already communicated by SMS or allowed by SMS specifically. I'd have to check back on WMD to see how we did exactly, but if I recall correctly we were balancing on the border of keeping the community informed and not violating NDA.

Also, if you have issues with the current state of the game or other issues, voice them at WMD first. Furthermore I think it's a bit daft to complain about having too many of a certain car type when the most often requested car additions were exactly of that type. Can't please some people I guess. :rolleyes:

I haven't seen anyone accidentally mention names of new manufacturers or tracks, so I think we're good. Just be aware that in pCARS 1 we saw a lot of "beta" cars in progress and not all were able to be licensed and finalized for launch, some came later as DLC. That is pretty much to be expected here as well (car models take months so they will have some of them started but not remotely finished as launch approaches).

Oh, and regarding pCARS 1 road cars: at launch the tyre model really wasn't ready and they were floaty and just plain bad, particularly compared to AC at the time. About 5-6 months after release the new road tyre model arrived and went a big step forward. Most of the floatiness has gone. Now don't get me wrong, AC road cars are still significantly better, but at least now it's possible to enjoy racing the road cars in pCARS 1.

pCARS 1 development of tyres was non-stop until the release deadline, and as soon as they hit the deadline they started again with further development. If we assume the road tyre model is getting heavy improvements in pCARS 2 then it's feasible to expect something very close to AC but potentially with more nuance, especially off road.

Just telling you guys what I'm seeing. Obviously a lot could change...and nothing is finalized. Phoenix (the testbed right now) isn't even worth my time at the moment, so I can't comment on too much of it. I think the new marques will probably grab a lot of people, and there are some good tracks being discussed --- but I'm with most of you in my lack of enthusiasm for the rally cross aspect (particularly when Dirt Rally is so phenomenal and they're discussing a no-holds-barred full on Rally sim for the next game...).

While they're adding plenty of race cars, they are adding far more street cars than I feel are currently in PCars. I'll add them all up tonight and see if I'm wrong of it's a legitimate swing. The worst thing about the race cars they are adding, once again (I think I mentioned this in a post before) - they're not really aiming at matching too many cars up. I think we'll end up with the same hit-or-miss car fields for certain classes.

@TheElbows

Any internal info should stay internal.

Yes, no specifics unless already communicated by SMS or allowed by SMS specifically. I'd have to check back on WMD to see how we did exactly, but if I recall correctly we were balancing on the border of keeping the community informed and not violating NDA.

Also, if you have issues with the current state of the game or other issues, voice them at WMD first. Furthermore I think it's a bit daft to complain about having too many of a certain car type when the most often requested car additions were exactly of that type. Can't please some people I guess. :rolleyes:

Be vocal about this, it's what 90% of their "non-apostle" customers are thinking. This closed WMD stuff is silly to be kept up for the second game really.

I was an abitual at SMS forums, but after they dropped support on PCars1 and they kept the future game closed i haven't been there in months.

Be vocal about this, it's what 90% of their "non-apostle" customers are thinking. This closed WMD stuff is silly to be kept up for the second game really.

I was an abitual at SMS forums, but after they dropped support on PCars1 and they kept the future game closed i haven't been there in months.
You're looking at it the wrong way. pCARS 2 is effectively a "normal" (not crowd-funded) game. This kind of game would usually only provide information to the public near the end of the development cycle, and only carefully controlled information showing things representative of the final release.

pCARS 2 has a small exception: A handful of crowdfunders were allowed to participate because SMS appreciated the benefits during pCARS 1 development. They clearly stated that these people are not needed for the crowdfunding cash, but just there to help out. Additionally, the pCARS 2 crowdfunding required you to sign up with your actual name, so no hiding behind pseudonyms, and the cost was higher than the final game would cost, to encourage only people who are motivated to support SMS. This is all in the interest of keeping internal stuff private. Again, because pCARS 2 is effectively going the normal development route.

(I'm one of the WMD2 backers, so you can certainly conclude that I like the arrangement enough to put my money in)

You're looking at it the wrong way. pCARS 2 is effectively a "normal" (not crowd-funded) game. This kind of game would usually only provide information to the public near the end of the development cycle, and only carefully controlled information showing things representative of the final release.

pCARS 2 has a small exception: A handful of crowdfunders were allowed to participate because SMS appreciated the benefits during pCARS 1 development. They clearly stated that these people are not needed for the crowdfunding cash, but just there to help out. Additionally, the pCARS 2 crowdfunding required you to sign up with your actual name, so no hiding behind pseudonyms, and the cost was higher than the final game would cost, to encourage only people who are motivated to support SMS. This is all in the interest of keeping internal stuff private. Again, because pCARS 2 is effectively going the normal development route.

(I'm one of the WMD2 backers, so you can certainly conclude that I like the arrangement enough to put my money in)
I appreciate that you can pass out words from their customers ;-)

Yep, you're absolutely right. I'm daft for having an opinion. Good point. I hadn't thought of it that way.

This is a discussion about Project CARS 2, correct? I'm not debating anything technical here, nor revealing any of the information on the closed forums - unless "they're making new cars and new tracks" amount to classified info. I've made my mind clear on several threads in the PCars2 forum as well.

The information you are spreading is directly from the pre-alpha. It's also false, but for obvious reason (NDA) I can't say exactly why on here (no one from WMD can confirm or deny with exact numbers/brands/etc. without violating the NDA). Three people said you are going too far, that should be some indication.

And yes, I know it's hard not to share stuff or know exactly where to draw the line, which is why people will point out to others when it's going too far. :) As a rule of thumb: if you're unsure, just ask at WMD, one of the devs will usually say what's ok and what's not ok to share. (I've shared several things from PCARS1 in here after getting confirmation from the devs that it was ok to share)

So further discussion via PM or at WMD please, thanks. 👍

But I think it could be said that the goal is definitely not to be more leaned towards road cars than the first game, so it is more a feeling than reality in my opinion. The carlist will definitely look good with the classes better filled up than the first time, so I´m pretty happy about it.

Gotcha. No more discussing Pcars2.
You can speculate but just don't reveal what is under development. We're insiders into their entire development process now so you cannot reveal any details about the game without their permission.

Back