Project CARS 2 General Discussion Thread - Out Now on PS4/XB1/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 12,199 comments
YYRMp9o.png

7CxcyBp.png

Maybe i drive the p1 gtr a little to much :lol:

Two things you may or may not know about PC2.

1. Thunderstorms or any sort of rain + random weather on a snow setting based track.

While at first glance this option isn't available there is a sneaky little way of having lightning lighting up the snowy white hills of your chosen track.

All one has to do is select a track that DOESN'T allow snow, (my choice is Dubai Autodrome) then set your date to Xmas day (25/12/##) choose your weather (thunderstorm/fog + rain/4x random slots) anything that you can't normally choose on a snow circuit, all other options you're free to use (time of day/laps/etc) then save on exit.

Now that's done you can set about choosing your car, AI difficulty & aggression, vehicle class, etc, then save on exit.

Now the best part, once you have set all your settings to what you want, go into the track selection again & pick a track that you know allows snow (my choice atm is Oulton Park) once you've selected your track, start the process & head into the start race screen, DO NOT GO BACK INTO THE WEATHER SETTINGS.

Now when your track loads up it'll have lightning, rain & fog or whatever you've chosen on a very slippery snow covered circuit.

Enjoy (or not) :)

2. Live track 3.0 starts doing it's thang the minute the track loads, you do not need to be on track.

This has happened to me quite a few times, it's a slow process but confused me none the less the 1st time it happened.

If you go to the start race screen having selected something like rain as your weather then the longer you leave it before actually starting the race the more the track gets wet (covered in puddles), therefore starting the race in absolutely saturated conditions.

The best one I recently had was a snow race with clear skies at midday, I set up & loaded my race ready then decided to turn off the controller & have my dinner.

When I came back to the game about 30mins later & started the race all the snow had melted from the road surface & track side grass, the only thing left was snow covered tree's.

I thought to myself, I'm sure I selected snow before dinner so I restarted the race, low & behold the snow filled track was back again.

I tried this again leaving it for about 20mins this time & although the track still had a bit of ice on it, it was far from the slippery snow that you get from starting straight away, also the grass was a weird half melted grey/green colour instead of pure white snow or lush green grass.

So there you have it, a couple of qwerky little things for you to try if you fancy it.

Have fun.

Picture of proof, left for 30/40mins before starting, snow melted on track & in a thunderstorm on a snowy Oulton Park.
20191103_172214.jpg

The difference regarding grass on track & behind the barrier (15/20mins transition)
20191103_175153.jpg

How it looks immediately at start
20191103_175401.jpg

On track 15/20mins transition
20191103_175333.jpg

How it should look at start
20191103_175544.jpg

Going to try the opposite during the F1, leave it for an hour to see if snow builds up on a dry or snow track, no reason it shouldn't :)

Last edited:
@Chikane I took your baby to Circuit of the Americas in honor of today's F1 race

It took me six laps to record a lap time. I finally realized I could not push the accelerator all the way down and I needed to short shift like mad.

This car sounds amazing! I don't know what a real McLaren sounds like but this was incredible. There were two sounds that I was getting, one being the engine and the other, which I guess was also the engine, but it sounded like an airplane getting ready to take off.

I can see why you love this car. I would love to see you racing in it because I certainly can't do it justice.

I'm in the United States, Eastern Time. If you plan on racing this car online, please give me an invite to watch. Or, if you have any videos of races with this car, please include a link so I can enjoy it.

EDIT: Questions

1. How do you use DRS and KERS? I couldn't get there s to work. Do you have to hold the button or tap the button? Also, it seemed like KERS may have been draining on its own without my input. The button I had assigned didn't seem to do anything

2. I was on vintage LeMans because I wanted the extremely long straight away. When I went into 7th gear the car seem to slow down, as if some limiter was engaged? The top speed at that point was like 140mph. Do you know what caused this?

Last edited:
This car sounds amazing! I don't know what a real McLaren sounds like but this was incredible. There were two sounds that I was getting, one being the engine and the other, which I guess was also the engine, but it sounded like an airplane getting ready to take off.

Yeah the sound it makes when you lift off the gas :bowdown: i forget what its call? :(

1. How do you use DRS and KERS? I couldn't get there s to work. Do you have to hold the button or tap the button? Also, it seemed like KERS may have been draining on its own without my input. The button I had assigned didn't seem to do anything

You have to map the DRS button to your controller or wheel and KERS that's really automatic.

2. I was on vintage LeMans because I wanted the extremely long straight away. When I went into 7th gear the car seem to slow down, as if some limiter was engaged? The top speed at that point was like 140mph. Do you know what caused this?

Check your gears my gtr can hit over 225 mph on that straight

Last edited:
I must say the Porsche 919 Hybrid is really fun to drive

Easy to handle you always feel in control :bowdown:
KRS is manual and super fun to use
Cornering speeds are insane :crazy:
And for a hybrid i really like the sound of the engine :)

Project CARS 2_20191106112926.png Project CARS 2_20191106113016.png Project CARS 2_20191106113127.png

Porsche Racing Gif

I just tried pcars2 again since a while with the ftype jag and like when i tried the demo the skidding feels so artificial, like a constant skid with no variation.its like on ice a little, on or off. I feel the road well on my g29 when driving at limit but then when cars start to slide it just feels fake like ice sliding but ican recover it even too easily too. I used hard or soft tires, i off all aids, i used loose setup. I also off in setup all traction control set it at 100 and 0 for abs, i don't know, maybe its the ffb. I use immersive and put it light to feel detail. But even the sound and movement of the car feels so constant like a simple constant skid, like ice but less slippery i guess but it does feel not much grip too. The tires are warm, im just in qualif with not much a.i. etc. Also with left foot braking it seems artificially easy and constant to make the car rotate in a turn with some throttle, feels like a simple rotation.

I just had dr2.0 and to me it feels so much more natural and gradual and with weight transfer and grip recovery on wet or dry. Its smoothest most natural feel from ffb skid sound and feel from cockpit.
Something definitely not right, some cars are better im sure. I just went back to pcars2 and chose the ftype. Maybe its too stable, but its also low grip, not fun.
I remember having fun in more difficult cars but even a lotus f1 66 feels like on ice too.

Just disappointed. I even got all dlc for this when i bought it. I guess ill try other cars again that i remember learning to like at least.
Some say stable or oem setup feels less off.
Or maybe when switch aids to authentic it's better. Oh and i was on dry tarmac, i remember preferring the wet track feel even.

Edit: well i just tried the 911 gt3 rs and it feels alot better. More responsive and lively, it is snappier so you feel less the drone like constant skid but it's there a little, especially the sound. But i do feel the car weight transfer and can feel it when recovering the start of a skid. The destabilization and re composure.
Idk, is the ftype fixable? It feels too stable but also like when i set brake bias to the front it doesn't lock the front in curves and just makes it rotate.
Edit 2: tried the other 911 gt3, need check exact model name, feels good too. Just it really loses grip easily even a lower speeds when your inside tires go over a low curb rumble strip, seems exaggerated alot. I guess i can get it better with softening the suspension etc but it doesn't seem right.
The inside doesn't get most of the burden for grip so unless it's a high curb that destabilized the suspension and weight.

Last edited:
I've found it comes down to a couple of things. Tire temp and pressure plays a key role in PC2. Getting and keeping temps is key. Brake temps and camber settings can help keep temp or lose temp. (Until you can't get temps because it seems like something may be a bit off with the car you're in, a quirk with PC2).
The next thing is the LSD. Seems to play a key role in car rotation and feel. This is one of things that is a little off putting. Like you said, you jump in a Jag F-Type. The first thing you shouldn't have to do after driving it off the dealer lot is adjust a differential but here we are. This is where you play around some. Lower Preload. Raise Power and Coast. The car should most likely be a bit unstable. If unstable on braking into the corner, lower Coast. If the car seems to spin inside whell on power, lower Power. If it's too crazy all around, raise Preload. Clutches make Power and Coast more effective essentially. I find if you get this in the right range, the curbs pull you in less but yes, this is exaggerated in PC2. You can lose a lot of time on a curb that pulls you in and now you have a tire in the dirt.
Another thing I find is that the AI settings are not "set it and forget it". Each class of cars seems like it has a correlating AI setting. Some classes you need to raise AI to be in the mix and other classes you need to lower just to keep up. This was not balanced very well in PC2. Ginetta Junior, you're raising AI all the way up, Formula C, you're lowering AI just to stay in the race. This will help tame your driving style and keep you from over pushing the car.

I know, some of this is a pain. A lot of time setting up certain cars. The more you fool around the more fun you start having, or the opposite if that isn't your cup of tea. It really can get to be endless though. You just get one car set up that you spent a lot of time with and then it's on to do it all over again with the next. AND, if you get lucky, you find a car that drives great right off the bat.

I've found it comes down to a couple of things. Tire temp and pressure plays a key role in PC2. Getting and keeping temps is key. Brake temps and camber settings can help keep temp or lose temp. (Until you can't get temps because it seems like something may be a bit off with the car you're in, a quirk with PC2).
The next thing is the LSD. Seems to play a key role in car rotation and feel. This is one of things that is a little off putting. Like you said, you jump in a Jag F-Type. The first thing you shouldn't have to do after driving it off the dealer lot is adjust a differential but here we are. This is where you play around some. Lower Preload. Raise Power and Coast. The car should most likely be a bit unstable. If unstable on braking into the corner, lower Coast. If the car seems to spin inside whell on power, lower Power. If it's too crazy all around, raise Preload. Clutches make Power and Coast more effective essentially. I find if you get this in the right range, the curbs pull you in less but yes, this is exaggerated in PC2. You can lose a lot of time on a curb that pulls you in and now you have a tire in the dirt.
Another thing I find is that the AI settings are not "set it and forget it". Each class of cars seems like it has a correlating AI setting. Some classes you need to raise AI to be in the mix and other classes you need to lower just to keep up. This was not balanced very well in PC2. Ginetta Junior, you're raising AI all the way up, Formula C, you're lowering AI just to stay in the race. This will help tame your driving style and keep you from over pushing the car.

I know, some of this is a pain. A lot of time setting up certain cars. The more you fool around the more fun you start having, or the opposite if that isn't your cup of tea. It really can get to be endless though. You just get one car set up that you spent a lot of time with and then it's on to do it all over again with the next. AND, if you get lucky, you find a car that drives great right off the bat.
Hehe yeah, it's finicky and a hassle when you just want a good time.
I guess i was hoping for a great feel right away but it is a car i haven't messed long with. Yeah the curbs are like icy suckers if you barely are on power.
Thanks alot for the help and it's encouraging to know I'm not just way off and that it's fixable to a point.
I'll definitely give it a try, it's got a nice rumbling sound that ftype. Just as you said, hopefully there's not 100s that need so much fixing and it should be reasonnably set-up from the getgo ideally. I like to fiddle a little but when you start with a so bad feel it's discouraging without knowing if it's fixable.
But it remains that the skidding itself is kinda constant once it starts, especially the sound, you don't feel it much if it's just starting or ending a skid from it.
Just had a great race with that 911 gt3 with yellow lights, the a.i. feels pretty amazing and immersive, maneuvering around you preparing to pass you etc.
And the sound in cockpit is great on some cars. Too bad many cars sound artificial too, and in replays especially.
Thanks @Beezer215.

Project Cars 2 frustrates me. A lot of times it's good frustration. I like to run with full damage on though so that doesn't help. ;)
The immersion level is great when you start getting in "the zone" during a race. I have no problem doing a 45 minute race, getting damage from some nutbag AI that ran me off, pitting to fix and ending P7. I mean, that's realism.

Project Cars 2 frustrates me. A lot of times it's good frustration. I like to run with full damage on though so that doesn't help. ;)
The immersion level is great when you start getting in "the zone" during a race. I have no problem doing a 45 minute race, getting damage from some nutbag AI that ran me off, pitting to fix and ending P7. I mean, that's realism.
The problem is if you don't know each car model's real normal reactions and feel with a reasonnable setup, then you're kinda lost to what you're even suppose to achieve fiddling with it.
As for me i dont want to make it the best handling fastest ever, I want to know and experience what's each cars reasonnable feel when driving it normally and when starting to push it and when pushing it as much as you can. Feel each cars character and how scary or hard it can be and how amazing it can be too with realistic setups and situations. And that's kinda hard when you can't rely on the games basic feel and setups.
Edit: hard and less motivating if you don't know if its realistic for each car or complete nonsense.
Hehe yeah i love the damage too, makes you more on edge like risking by pushing it a little more.

Last edited:
I don't enjoy tinkering in the settings, so whenever I find a car that doesn't drive right, I choose another. Playing with a DS4, I find there are more than plenty of cars to drive with one of the default setups. I understand how a FFB wheel can complicate things, though -- looking for the right feel and muscle-memory response beyond just how the car behaves according to the physics.

I don't enjoy tinkering in the settings, so whenever I find a car that doesn't drive right, I choose another. Playing with a DS4, I find there are more than plenty of cars to drive with one of the default setups. I understand how a FFB wheel can complicate things, though -- looking for the right feel and muscle-memory response beyond just how the car behaves according to the physics.
Yeah i tend to do that too unless it's a car i really want to enjoy and try. Or feel to take a break from adrenaline of racing and just tske the tinkering as a fun challenge game with a possible nice reward if succeeds. Also if its a car with good sound since many cars i would love to enjoy sound so bad.

Last edited:
I also like that tight longer races. I dont always like coming in first believe it or not but grinding out a win after say about an hour and coming in like 3rd, 7th or even 12th is sometimes satisfying. Just makes me race smarter next time and also shows the beauty of the AI.

I use a wheel, but do the same - I haven't yet made any setting changes - I just use default loose. If I don't like a car I try another one. Sometimes track temperature makes a big difference.

There are plenty of cars which feel alive and therefore give me enjoyment, but sometimes it takes quite a while to get used to the feel of car / find a way of driving it that works well.

I use a wheel, but do the same - I haven't yet made any setting changes - I just use default loose. If I don't like a car I try another one. Sometimes track temperature makes a big difference.
Right -- given the importance of tires versus conditions, I am more likely to back out and change the weather than to dig into the differential settings. "Oops, not enough traction for this. I should try a warmer afternoon."

There's no mods on ps4 right for pcars2? It would help alot for many engine sounds, my god like 911 carrera rsr 73 and 917 and so many that i can't stand using, and even give me a headache they sound so bad.
Yeah but it's often ridiculous how some tires on some cars make it way grippy or not.
Does the nissan 280zx behave well? Its the only dlc i don't have, the japanese pack.

There's no mods on ps4 right for pcars2? It would help alot for many engine sounds, my god like 911 carrera rsr 73 and 917 and so many that i can't stand using, and even give me a headache they sound so bad.
Yeah but it's often ridiculous how some tires on some cars make it way grippy or not.
Does the nissan 280zx behave well? Its the only dlc i don't have, the japanese pack.
There are no mods on PS4 for any game at all.

Really wish this game had giving you a option to turn the opening movie off :boggled:

You sit there for almost a minute waiting for all the logo screens to pass then finally you get to the press start screen only to wait 10 more seconds for the opening movie to play in which you have to press x to skip. :banghead::crazy:

Last edited:
Back