Project CARS 2 Hands-On Preview

Hmmm this review might have swayed me to include PC2 into my purchases this year. I felt a tad let down with PC1 simply due to the controller feel and tyre modelling, apart from that I thought it was a good game.

The Assetto Corsa reference was a postive in my book as that is the game I still play because of the feel (proof that graphics aren't everything).

Oh well, looks like I will be buying PC2 and GTS.

XXI
@Terronium-12 @SlipZtrEm

Are you able to talk about what you adjusted in the configuration and force feedback settings to give it a better feel?

Also, when you make contact with another car is it similiar to Project Cars 1, as in a mild rub promotes a good race?
Or is it like dare I say...
Assetto Corsa which sometimes punts you off track when contact occurs.

On the first point, I'll double check. Worst case scenario, you'll get 'em on the 18th. :P

As for the second, it sort of depends. It's hard to describe, really. I'm going to spend more time with the preview build tonight, so I'll keep an eye on that.

Since some folks have asked us about it, I wanted to address why this has come a little later than we originally planned. There were a lot of hardware setbacks behind the scenes — including a wheel deciding to commit seppuku — but the gist of it is this: when we ran into the same sausage-curb-weak-FFB issue with a Logitech, we had to delay to make sure we got some time with other wheels. We wanted to make sure it wasn't a problem with just that brand, and, after talking with a lot of the helpful Bandai-Namco guys back-channel, we figured things out.

We want to be thorough with this one, for readers' sakes. 👍

So, my thoughts on the preview build:
  • The CSL Elite didn't have the large deadzone @Terronium-12 witnessed in the Logi. There's a little bit of a deadzone dialed in at launch, most likely for pad players, but you can simply knock it down to zero.
  • The setup I ran the preview on was multiple years old, and we actually worried the graphics card wasn't up to snuff. Nonetheless, the game ran smoothly from its first load-up, at what certainly seemed a smooth 60fps. We raced with as many as two dozen cars on track without issue.
  • Because of the varying levels of graphics the PC platform entails, I left all the talk of graphics to Michael — and we're saving the more in-depth stuff for the review, anyway!
  • The 488 GT3 really does have a light helm, compared to every other GT3 car I tried. The Huracan was a favourite, lots of fun!
  • It's been 17 years since I got to drive the R30 Formula in a game. This one is worth the wait.
  • The settings that I ended up with for the Elite were, in all honesty, probably a little overkill for road cars. They gave the wheel a solid amount of weight and feedback in the GT3 and LMP900 cars, but the old Merc SEL was work to get turned in. I feel like that's probably appropriate, but hey.
  • Modifying those settings is pretty straight-forward, which I welcome.
  • The immersion is deceptive: it creeps up on you. Due to the afore-mentioned hardware setbacks, I wasn't able to play in my usual rig. I was on a smaller screen, in a raggedy old computer chair. But a lap around a snowy 'Ring in the Huracan street car was simply awesome. I felt the rear going light if I pushed, and the car wandering a bit as I headed down through Fuchsröhre. I actually backed off just before hitting the bottom point, because it felt dangerous. I can't remember the last time I've done that in a game.
  • The F50 GT at Imola. Good lord, everybody should make that one of their first combinations to drive when the game launches next month.

I love the bolded part. It´s been a long wait. Give me some SuperGT cars and the car roster will be perfect. Can´t wait for the Silhouette, the R390 GT and so many other Gran Turismo favorites to play them properly.

The CSL Elite didn't have the large deadzone @Terronium-12 witnessed in the Logi. There's a little bit of a deadzone dialed in at launch, most likely for pad players, but you can simply knock it down to zero.

When I tried the game about two weeks ago, I didn't notice any deadzone using my G25 or my DFGT. :confused:

When I tried the game about two weeks ago, I didn't notice any deadzone using my G25 or my DFGT. :confused:

I'll have to direct you to @Terronium-12 then!

As I mentioned in my post, there were the little bits of deadzones in the settings out of the box. But on the CSL Elite, it didn't feel like anything out of the norm. Of course, I set them all to zero pretty quickly. The only reason I could see adding them back in is if the wheel was tuned in such a way as to make it over-eager to self-centre, and starts see-sawing.

There was a lot said in those first 12 paragraphs that worries me.
I can't say that I agree with the over the limit = death sentiment. Depending on the car the limit is not a cliff but a graded slope. I've been driving the GT5 Ginetta in rain with large puddles on the track @ Silverstone. Aquaplaning and having to react when the grip comes back. Driving a McLaren F1 @ COTA and just playing around and manhandling it. Driving a Group C car around Brands Hatch having oodles of fun. No car tried to kill me unless it was that type of car. Of course, when you have passed the limit completely, your off into the woods. But the game gives you enough information before hand.
So it's going to be fun to see what the D1P brings compared to the last community build. The FFB is not worse than for example AC, just different. The 22:nd can't come soon enough.

Disclaimer: WMD2 member, using a CSR wheel & CSR Elite Pedals on PC.

I'm really disappointed to hear it may be controller biased.

i understand that's where the greater sales numbers are,
but it just limits a game/sim from being what it could be for wheel drivers.

There was a lot said in those first 12 paragraphs that worries me.

👍

👎

But I'm feeling more and more that it would be dumb not to give this a shot. Especially nice is the in-race FFB adjust 👍👍👍

Thanks GTP team for the great insights. It's like you're reading my mind :scared:
It's like that with any car/sim. When you completely lose the car and have no way of drifting/catching it, you've lost control. To them, it feels right when it goes over the limit and allows them to drift. However, when they go too far over the limit, they know it.

I quite liked the review. Very well written...easy reading, detailed, informative and fairly well balanced.
Much thanks from me to the reviewers for taking the time to test, review and share with us to be better informed. So cheers.
Like many others I'm even more looking forward to release date.
I was very impressed with Pcars 1, so much so it became my #1 go-to racing sim, and from all indications it seems Pcars 2 is even going to surpass that superb predecessor. So it's a WIN-WIN to me.

But how it is for us console plebs? Not just the gamepad experience, but the framerate, loading times and such?

We should have answers to all those questions next week (before release).

For what it's worth, at E3, I don't remember the loading times being any lengthier than they were in FM6 or PCARS1. Actually, on the PC preview build, it was quite speedy. The framerate on the show floor was pretty consistent too last June.

Back