Project CARS 2 Hands-On Preview

Nope :) Most certainly not. It was a legal issue as EA insisted we were solely committed to Shift which we signed around the same time. So it went off to Sumo.

Got it, thanks for the info. To be clear, I'm very thankful for that title, no matter who was the main developer behind it.

Last edited:
We've achieved this by defaulting different setups when the game sees a controller being used, as opposed to a wheel. The wheel setups tend to a bit more oversteer. You can manually select the setup you prefer regardless though.

How does this work with the forced default setups in online races? Are there still two setups to choose from or pad and wheel users using different setup?

How does this work with the forced default setups in online races? Are there still two setups to choose from or pad and wheel users using different setup?
Hopefully, there will at least, be filters for controllers and assists on the leaderboards and online racing.

Turn 10 went out and got a new guy to work on the FFB for FM7 because of the PC crowd. There's no way SMS sacrificed wheel gameplay for the controller.[/QU

They have multiple setups! Which, I was not trying to post, but unfortunately my Rii keyboard must have a low battery!

OK I'm biting, what is our 'track record on releases' you're considering? GTR, GT Legends, GTR2, Need for Speed Shift, Shift 2 and the worlds first AAA crowd funded and crowd sourced game achieving 83% and 2.5 million sales and paying back investors 350% and counting. Yes a few bugs in our games, as in all games, but 11 free update patches with new content and a free car monthly for pCARS1 adding community requested features for free for a year. I think there's a bit of hyperbole around 'our track record' that isn't justified. Like a mass hallucination effect...

You seem to think I'm just in here to give a bad reputation to your work, which isn't the case. I was absolutely amazed by the hype that came out of Shift, so I went and bought it sight unseen for my Xbox360, and it turned out to be barely playable. Sloppy handling, poor framerate, generally poorly rendered racetracks, etc. At that time my console did not have internet access to get the post-release patches, so I was basically stuck with a 60$ coaster. Bought Shift2 a few years after hoping you'd have sorted problems of the first one, only to find another myriad of problems that also rendered it barely playable. Granted it was quite a while ago and things have undoubtedly changed, but when you spend your hard earned money on something and end up dissapointed, it's easy to be sceptical of that studio's future offerings. Was it my fault that I didn't have any internet access to fix the game? Yes, perhaps, but at the same time when you buy something you're expecting it to work out of the box.

I might be sceptical, but I'm no troll. I'm genuinely interested by PC2, it seems like a revolution in the genre, but as the saying goes "once bitten, twice shy", I'm hesitant and you're unfortunately not going to change my mind on that. I'll be picking it up no doubt, just not on release. :)

You seem to think I'm just in here to give a bad reputation to your work, which isn't the case. I was absolutely amazed by the hype that came out of Shift, so I went and bought it sight unseen for my Xbox360, and it turned out to be barely playable. Sloppy handling, poor framerate, generally poorly rendered racetracks, etc. At that time my console did not have internet access to get the post-release patches, so I was basically stuck with a 60$ coaster. Bought Shift2 a few years after hoping you'd have sorted problems of the first one, only to find another myriad of problems that also rendered it barely playable. Granted it was quite a while ago and things have undoubtedly changed, but when you spend your hard earned money on something and end up dissapointed, it's easy to be sceptical of that studio's future offerings. Was it my fault that I didn't have any internet access to fix the game? Yes, perhaps, but at the same time when you buy something you're expecting it to work out of the box.

I might be sceptical, but I'm no troll. I'm genuinely interested by PC2, it seems like a revolution in the genre, but as the saying goes "once bitten, twice shy", I'm hesitant and you're unfortunately not going to change my mind on that. I'll be picking it up no doubt, just not on release. :)

I don't think your wrong and I would agree with your opinion on those games. But why look at Shift. Look at the last piece of work PCARS 1. I had big issues with the games handling but over all I thought they accomplished a lot. It certainly changed the general GT fanboy vibe on this site.

I think it makes more sense to use that title as a launching point rather than judge them on a couple missteps from the past. I think WRC7 is proof of that.

I will speak about the only thing that matters to me ATM.

Wheel handling.

So, the greatest issue of PCARS1 has been successfully solved - default setups of cars and fefault setups for wheel handling.

I lost majority of my playtime in trying every single car in the roster to get the default feel of handling.

As many recall, despite being Senior Member for PCARS1 and avid contributer, I was totally dissappointed with PCARS1 because the default setups for cars were hot mess and player should have been making separate wheel setups for every car type.

No, that is no more.

Everything works from the box, every car I tried (only few I haven't) have distinctive and convincing feel and it is finally as it should have been from the start. Congrats SMS!

If you ask me to compare the handing with some game, I would compare it to SMS's least known game, that was one of my favorite PS3-era racers, infamous Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends. And that is damn great.

I tried controller, and I can precisely see where the average criticism comes from. It comes from not understanding the P2 physics and inability of casual drivers to understand the way car actually behaves. You need to brake. Like a lot. And you need to brake early. Like very early. Even earlier thatn very early. And that is the problem I presume. I tried just few races on controller and from my perspective, it works pretty nice. But only if you take into account the actual weight of the car, the need to brake early and try to forget everything you know about controller driving from other racing games. And that is not easy.

Major kudos to SMS for fixing the wheel and default setups - that is the single most important detail which makes this game shine.

I was driving the game with Fanatec CSL Elite / ClubSport V3 pedals / Frex Shifter+ combo on PS4Pro. Everything works out of the box, no need to fidle with anything.

Also, another congratulations for leaving enough overhead in the OS to be able to work with all of the steerinjg wheel options in any moment in the game in the options/pause menu.

Great job SMS.

Wheel handling.

So, the greatest issue of PCARS1 has been successfully solved - default setups of cars and fefault setups for wheel handling.

I lost majority of my playtime in trying every single car in the roster to get the default feel of handling.

As many recall, despite being Senior Member for PCARS1 and avid contributer, I was totally dissappointed with PCARS1 because the default setups for cars were hot mess and player should have been making separate wheel setups for every car type.

No, that is no more.

Everything works from the box, every car I tried (only few I haven't) have distinctive and convincing feel and it is finally as it should have been from the start. Congrats SMS!

If you ask me to compare the handing with some game, I would compare it to SMS's least known game, that was one of my favorite PS3-era racers, infamous Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends. And that is damn great.

I tried controller, and I can precisely see where the average criticism comes from. It comes from not understanding the P2 physics and inability of casual drivers to understand the way car actually behaves. You need to brake. Like a lot. And you need to brake early. Like very early. Even earlier thatn very early. And that is the problem I presume. I tried just few races on controller and from my perspective, it works pretty nice. But only if you take into account the actual weight of the car, the need to brake early and try to forget everything you know about controller driving from other racing games. And that is not easy.

Major kudos to SMS for fixing the wheel and default setups - that is the single most important detail which makes this game shine.

I was driving the game with Fanatec CSL Elite / ClubSport V3 pedals / Frex Shifter+ combo on PS4Pro. Everything works out of the box, no need to fidle with anything.

Also, another congratulations for leaving enough overhead in the OS to be able to work with all of the steerinjg wheel options in any moment in the game in the options/pause menu.

Great job SMS.

This is the only review that matters IMO, coming from someone who knows about racing sims.

People are paying too much attention to regular outlets reviews. They are right in some aspects, but it´s fair to say that they don´t really know how to review those sims, in general. AC is a 85 on metacritic and iRacing is a 79, so despite being the cream of the crop it doesn´t always translate to good reviews.

We need the GTP review asap.

This is the only review that matters IMO, coming from someone who knows about racing sims.

People are paying too much attention to regular outlets reviews. They are right in some aspects, but it´s fair to say that they don´t really know how to review those sims, in general. AC is a 85 on metacritic and iRacing is a 79, so despite being the cream of the crop it doesn´t always translate to good reviews.

We need the GTP review asap.

Agreed. But I have to say. GTP's preview wasn't that inspiring for a wheel user.

More to your point. FM7 is going to get it's ---- sucked because of it's polish when the thing that matters most (driving ) will be sub par.

We've achieved this by defaulting different setups when the game sees a controller being used, as opposed to a wheel. The wheel setups tend to a bit more oversteer. You can manually select the setup you prefer regardless though.
Really glad to hear this! As an experienced controller user and someone who prefers to refine my driving instead of tweaking suspension settings, I'm happy I'll be able to opt out of the default "accessible" setup for another default setup that is presumably more authentic to how cars would be set up in the real world. Best news I've heard about the game this week. :cheers:

Wheel handling.

No, that is no more.

Great job SMS.

Can you quote that far and wide? I'll pay you :)

Seriously, thanks for the kind words. If nothing else the effort the team made is very evident this time around.

Can you quote that far and wide? I'll pay you

Seriously, thanks for the kind words. If nothing else the effort the team made is very evident this time around.

Well, I actually did quote his words on our local forum, though you or american could have been more honest regarding ps4 HDR.

Can you quote that far and wide? I'll pay you :)

Well, thank you :) Since you've suspended WMD for PC2 and I have received all the accolades for the PC1, I will gladly accept PC2 PS4 Ultra Edition, since it isn't being sold in Croatia :D

Jokes aside, I have only stated my opinion. I am very satisifed with the default setups for vehicles and default wheel setups (of course, I have to highlight that sensitivity has to be tuned to 100 from 50 default in order to enable 1:1 linearity, but that one should be common sense). I am not so satisfied with some other things, but it is easy to find flaws these days.

More honest how? We have HDR in all formats. We broke it in 1.01 I believe by accident and have fixed it again in 1.03.

And actively kept avoiding any real answer to perfectly simple questio, btw.framed positively.

Only answer was "It's in? :)" with question mark - and then actively refusing to clarify what do you mean. Not really honest!

And it was always adresed to the American as well, not just incredibly busy, understandably, you.

And when I posted questions with quotes from a big number of other interested members, it got deleted in minutes and myself almost banned :D

And actively kept avoiding any real answer to perfectly simple questio, btw.framed positively.

Only answer was "It's in? :)" with question mark - and then actively refusing to clarify what do you mean. Not really honest!

And it was always adresed to the American as well, not just incredibly busy, understandably, you.

And when I posted questions with quotes from a big number of other interested members, it got deleted in minutes and myself almost banned :D

I honestly am confused...

Please skip it.

Anyway, can't wait to try the V8 Supercar(among all the other 179+). Just finished watching Inside Supercars. One of the new drivers spoke about how he had to get used to the suspension(more dive and squat than the Formula and GT cars he is used to). The FGII was modeled pretty damn convincing, with those traits, in PC1. Other than the tyre model, were the dynamics of the V8SC just ported over or did one of your drivers have another run in one?

You have been going on about this for days now and it's incredibly tiring. HDR is in the game, that is a fact and was stated as a fact. HDR was broken in the 1.01 version of the game that many testers had. Version 1.03 fixes this and will be available to all of us soon after launch. That answers all your questions. There is no need for you to continually ask the same over and over again as there hasn't been for the past few days.

You have been going on about this for days now and it's incredibly tiring. HDR is in the game, that is a fact and was stated as a fact. HDR was broken in the 1.01 version of the game that many testers had. Version 1.03 fixes this and will be available to all of us soon after launch. That answers all your questions. There is no need for you to continually ask the same over and over again as there hasn't been for the past few days.

As i already stated numerous times, i only asked of it once per day, many other members kept bringing their questions up quite more often. Read.

But its your need to sweep under the table that is making it look bigger in your eyes!

You also must be confusing it with another topic of mine, the lack of officialy produced ON-CONSOLE trailer of 2-3 min... made under developers total control. I personaly would not ask that one more then once per day as well. But some possibly under carpet sweepers kept quoting and demanding my answers to their quotes!

Also please note that such trailer would also be OPORTUNITY to perfectly honestly reveal that for time being there is no HDR present in ps4 video, but there is in xbox's.

And so on... Again?

As i already stated numerous times, i only asked of it once per day, many other members kept bringing their questions up quite more often. Read.

But its your need to sweep under the table that is making it look bigger in your eyes!

You also must be confusing it with another topic of mine, the lack of officialy produced ON-CONSOLE trailer of 2-3 min... made under developers total control. I personaly would not ask that one more then once per day as well. But some possibly under carpet sweepers kept quoting and demanding my answers to their quotes!

Also please note that such trailer would also be OPORTUNITY to perfectly honestly reveal that for time being there is no HDR present in ps4 video, but there is in xbox's.

And so on... Again?
Version 1.03 is already on the PlayStation servers so there will be HDR present on PS4 version when game launches.

20170919154823.jpg

At that point it was perfectly clear for everybody but you that HDR is in. Very hard to misinterpret that one.

under carpet sweepers
Stop being paranoid. People have been giving legitimate answers. Maybe, just maybe consider the fact that you might have been misinterpreting peoples responses in here and you're looking for things that are not there... Nobody is trying to screw you (or anyone else) for that matter.

Version 1.03 is already on the PlayStation servers so there will be HDR present on PS4 version when game launches.
Thanks, though I would hope that Ian confirming it on three separate occasions would have been enough already.

The official FAQ on the PC2 homepage I think is also a good opportunity to perfectly honestly reveal that and the answer has been there for everyone to see for a while now. A video wouldn't even show more HDR unless it was encoded properly (no YouTube, can the consoles even record videos in the proper color format for HDR?) or if you don't have a HDR screen to see it for yourself.

What does it really matter what is the current HDR situation now? The game is not released yet and it is public information that a new patch will be available for it when it will be (see 1.03 patch notes).

Also, not just Ian is incredibly busy, the whole team is, including The_American. When they came to this forum they very clearly stated that if they don't answer a specific question or request there are good reasons behind it. In this case, because it was already answered clearly and concisely, twice. Here and on their site.

Last edited:
The FAQ about HDR being temporarily broken? I'm sorry i didnt see that, if that one was there.

Also how come that particular question, that got plenty other members interested never got answered, but avoided, only until patch 1.03 released...

See how silly it was not to answer it just like that?

The FAQ about HDR being temporarily broken? I'm sorry i didnt see that, if that one was there.

Also how come that particular question, that got plenty other members interested never got answered, but avoided, only until patch 1.03 released...

See how silly it was not to answer it just like that?
The game is not released yet, when it is released a patch that is already available will re-enable HDR, why do they need to inform us of HDR not working in a version of the game that nobody will play officially?

The sceptic in me tells me that this is all a tactic to paint the game in a bad light.

Back