Project CARS 2 Patch and Update Discussion

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 1,396 comments
To be honest if the patch only fixes hard tires not working when their cold, soft tires working when their stone cold and the pit stop tire pressures changing themselves as they please, I’ll be more than happy. Everything else is icing on the cake.
Well your in for a treat, Over 150 fixes are in this next patch.

Actually they said they tested It a made an assumption based on first patch timeline. However they are chasing him down for broken nda. That was written on the official forum.

"You're not supposed to tell anyone at we are actually testing these, you're fired!"

And how many new bugs? :D :D (just joking)

"Check this guy background, definitely he knows something about our internal designer choices!"

Thats fine i dont expect it to look as good as GTS or a 30fps Driveclub. What i cannot stand though is graphics constantly popping and LOD models changing every 2 seconds or turning into a smudge just up the road it looks awful no matter how much you guys try and sugar coat it. People are now talking about SMS being rushed and them leaving the PS4 version behind to beat Forza and GT and concentrating on the PC and Xbox X...i guess we will see if that is true when this supposed PS4 graphics patch comes and lets be honest here if a graphics patch does drop then that shows that like me SMS were not happy with how the game looked.

hey Harry! could you please point me where i could see (video or URL) the "popping LOD's turning into smudge" you're talking about? just curious and i want to compare if it also happens on my end. thanks in advance! :cheers:

Thanks. This is why the patch is delayed so ?

Probably not. Apparently what happened is one of the WMD members, who had signed a NDA meaning he won't discuss internal company details with the outer world, discussed internal company details regarding the update with the outside world which caused a bit of a hub-bub.

Graphics may matter that much to you, but not to me. I cannot relate to this conception of immersion some of you guys have. To me, videogames look like videogames. They may exhibit visual artifacts, pop-in, etc., and I expect that in even the most polished games, like Super Mario Odyssey. It's what games do.

I don't care about jaggies, because it's not like I ever forget the image is composed of pixels (or that I'm looking at a glowing rectangle in my living room). I'm not mocking you as if I think you can't tell the difference, I just don't really understand the quest to make pixels imperceptible. :confused: I think anti-aliasing accomplishes almost nothing; higher resolution is nice for clarity, and that's about it. I still play 480i games with a de-interlacer to my 28" HD monitor on a regular basis. My soft-modded Wii is an emulator box.

When I'm immersed in a game, I derive that immersion from gameplay, worldbuilding, good physics, a relatable protagonist, attention to detail, stuff like that. :) I can be just as immersed by a Wii fantasy JRPG or a side-scrolling SNES game as a photorealistic PS4 game. Graphics do matter, but more in an artistic sense than technical fidelity as far as I'm concerned. For what I care about, PCARS2 is hardly different from PCARS1, and is still a great-looking game.
Fair enough, your preference/acceptance is just as valid as the next. To me, gaming graphics are important but not the only measureable of a great game.
To me it's not any different than any other advancement in technology. Mono -> Stereo, Monochrome -> Color, Analog -> Digital, CGA -> VGA -> HD -> 4K, etc.... yes, exaggerations for examples but most all attribute to immersion. To me there are many pieces that make for a good experience and in gaming graphics are important as are all of the other features you mention. I still play some sim racing games that are not considered to have great graphics (AMS, rF2 to name a couple) because the whole package is excellent. Actually, just recently I played a few of my Xbox 360 titles to test as I'm planning on selling my old console and while the games were still fun I sure am glad that the latest have improved graphically. I'm much more immersed with some of the current titles in part because of the graphical improvements.
I'm posting only for discussion sake as my preferences won't necessarily be the next gamers' preferences - beauty is in the eye of the beholder :D

Probably not. Apparently what happened is one of the WMD members, who had signed a NDA meaning he won't discuss internal company details with the outer world, discussed internal company details regarding the update with the outside world which caused a bit of a hub-bub.
I see. Thanks for the tip. I hope this patch will out very soon then.

hey Harry! could you please point me where i could see (video or URL) the "popping LOD's turning into smudge" you're talking about? just curious and i want to compare if it also happens on my end. thanks in advance! :cheers:

The Digital Foundry is a good video to see it although it doesnt quite "pop" as much as you would see when playing properly or watching a direct download video but you can still see a massive difference in LOD models and just how poor they look close up

Head to 6.50

A screens taking from it...

Screenshot_2017_11_16_14_47_27.png

Here we can see the red Porsche has already popped and it's back lights have gone, If that Porsche comes back to the Blue Toyota those lights and model pop again to be slightly more detailed then the closer it gets it pops again and if your get right up it's arse thats when you can finally see detail. The two GT cars right in front have such low LOD models that you cannot make out a single decal even though they are very close and very very smudgy looking at this point. Then the yellow TT just at the corner starting to turn into a full on smudge and the grey TT is full on smudge and the rest just blobs from then on. If you race Forumla cars you see Wheels disappearing as well with the LOD pops it's crazy. Then we have that crowd i've not seen a crowd like that for a couple of gens.

Last edited:
The Digital Foundry is a good video to see it although it doesnt quite "pop" as much as you would see when playing properly or watching a direct download video but you can still see a massive difference in LOD models and just how poor they look close up

Head to 6.50

A screens taking from it...

Screenshot_2017_11_16_14_47_27.png

Here we can see the red Porsche has already popped and it's back lights have gone, Once that Porsche comes back to the Blue Toyota those lights and model pop again to be slightly more detailed then the closer it gets it pops again and if your get right up it's arse thats when you can finally see detail. The two GT cars right in front have such low LOD models that you cannot make out a single decal even though they are very close and very very smudgy looking at this point. Then the yellow TT just at the corner starting to turn into a full on smudge and the grey TT is full on smudge and the rest just blobs from then on. If you race Forumla cars you see Wheels disappearing as well with the LOD pops it's crazy.

Thanks for this. Haven't had a chance to thoroughly check it out but it will help in my console decisions coming up.

Last edited:
@Harry Freq Haha, those DF guys are such terrible drivers it is hard to concentrate on the comparisons. :)
I think they are doing strees tests rather than decent driving
I'm pretty sure than PS4 Pro can make run Pcars 2 with much better graphics. Not as great on XBX off course but not too far away thow.
Yeah every other title is managing it although with the X coming out on top slightly but with PCars 2 they are worlds apart. Honestly i dont think SMS bothered with the Pro version or like the rumours going about they were too rushed to bother with it and this graphics patch will sort the game out on how we all expected it to be on the Pro on day one.

Amazingly the Xbox seems to of had 3 patches recently while were still waiting.

My only issue with graphic is how pixelated it gets at time when lots happens on screen...

A few times I could bet it was running in 640x480 lol

The TT isn't even in the game :P
Also, I believe the "red Porsche" is a red Mercedes AMG-GTR, but that's forgivable to be fair :) It does kinda look like a Porsche from that angle. (I apologize if all this comes off as rude)
Not at all mate, Ah well that graphics are that bad it does look more like a Porsche :D Buit i see the AMG-GTR now :lol:

I think they are doing strees tests rather than decent driving

Yeah every other title is managing it although with the X coming out on top slightly but with PCars 2 they are worlds apart. Honestly i dont think SMS bothered with the Pro version or like the rumours going about they were too rushed to bother with it and this graphics patch will sort the game out on how we all expected it to be on the Pro on day one.

Amazingly the Xbox seems to of had 3 patches recently while were still waiting.

yeah i see that. 3 patches for the X.
But i hope nonetheless. Ian Bell itself mention the Pro for the next patch. Wait and see. Like i said The Pro has the hardware for better graphics.

The crowds aren't there in the second screenshot because they're dynamic now. Which means, no crowds in free practice.
They should be there in a race session, together with the sheep @Bannochbrae (no, I'm not joking).

The missing Dubai skyline is reported as a bug currently.
Wait, it's a bug? Has that always been the case? Don't why it hasn't been fixed yet...

Dunno about anyone else and I've been mulling over my position the last couple of days but...I think I'm ready for that patch to drop now. :)

Wouldn't mind playing online without other people blowing my speakers due to imbalanced audio mix. Would love HUD options to save and stay. And general optimisations for the PS4 Pro is greatly welcomed.

Back