Project Cars 2's Photo Mode is Massively Improved Over Original's

Good.

I´m glad it´s nothing hardcore.

Every minute spent developing a photo mode is a minute that you didn´t spent developing the racing aspect.

I guess some people like to take pictures in a racing game, but i´m glad it doesn´t have the same insane focus that GT puts in it, in detriment to things that actually matter in a racing game.

You are aware that different people have different talents and abilities when developing a game? You won't see the physics, audio or vehicle and track artists coding this sort of thing up, so its inclusion won't harm the excellent work they do. And their work, likewise, won't get in the way of the excellent work the UI team (and others) do.

EDIT : this was in reply to fasj6418, I forgot to quote the post.

EDIT : And yes, the photo mode is a massive step up from what was there in pCARS1. I'll be straight-out honest, I never once used the pCARS1 photo mode. In contrast, once the major work was done on the pCARS2 version, I (and the usual suspects) took to it like a long-lost brother. The results, as a lot of you will have already seen, are quite spectacular.

Never been a big fan of photomode until I started messing around with it in FH3 and it's quite fun when you get the hang of it. Might give it a try in PCARS 2 as well at some point.

I can't wait to try this out once I finish Hellblade :bowdown: I took 100's shots on PCars1 when it first came out but slowed to a stop over the years. I struggled, and it was frustrating and in the end most come from the replays. This looks totally revamped and some very good options here. The most important thing for me here is the ability to remove the UI so I can get a good view (eye) of where to pan/rotate the camera on the screen :) I think with the upgraded graphics and all the weather options now there will be some stunning shots coming this way..

I am glad they have invested time to make these improvements. A big 'Social media' community now uses Photo modes and it will only help the awareness of the game, hopefully leading to many more Sales! (without too much extra cost) with all the excellent photos of the game out there 👍

I've never really understood this fascination with photo modes in any games. Do people spend hours longingly gazing at their virtual photo albums, or is it just a momentary willy-waving contest when the images are posted online? I'd much rather spend my time behind the wheel actually racing, but maybe that's just me. Photo modes do seem extremely popular. I've just no idea why.

I've never really understood this fascination with photo modes in any games. Do people spend hours longingly gazing at their virtual photo albums, or is it just a momentary willy-waving contest when the images are posted online? I'd much rather spend my time behind the wheel actually racing, but maybe that's just me. Photo modes do seem extremely popular. I've just no idea why.
No different to attending a race and taking photos. Same as attending an auto show event. I'm not a photographer, but capturing cars at different attitudes(curb hopping, passing trees, next to other cars, etc) and also sitting still, brings certain dreams, memories, visions to that moment.

Anyway, as with many things in games, it's an option worth having.

No different to attending a race and taking photos. Same as attending an auto show event. I'm not a photographer, but capturing cars at different attitudes(curb hopping, passing trees, next to other cars, etc) and also sitting still, brings certain dreams, memories, visions to that moment.

Anyway, as with many things in games, it's an option worth having.
I'm not a major photographer but from time to time, I like taking a picture or 2 with things I deem to be pretty cool. Whether it's getting very close to the things on the inside of corners at Oulton Park which are instant death or just that it looks good.

I also never understood this, but it´s mostly a Gran Turismo thing that spread through other games.

There´s not a lot of talk of photo mode in sports games or any other genres actually. It became a thing in racing games for reasons o don´t understand.

I like to take pictures in real life, i´ve been to real races and such, but i´ll never understand the fun in taking pictures of virtual cars in virtual places.

There´s not a lot of talk of photo mode in sports games or any other genres actually. It became a thing in racing games for reasons o don´t understand.

What? I must be visiting different communities than you. :D
The biggest threads in many game forums are the usually the screenshot threads. Many players that are posting there would be more than happy if their game would have a dedicated photomode like Horizon: Zero Dawn has for example.

The biggest threads in many game forums are the usually the screenshot threads. Many players that are posting there would be more than happy if their game would have a dedicated photomode like Horizon: Zero Dawn has for example.

Really? :lol: I guess i learn something new everyday... but i swear in sports games i´ve never seen a lot of talk about taking pictures of the virtual athletes... Anyways, as long as photo mode doesn´t consume a lot of resources from SMS it´s not an issue.

That's a good point. All a good photomode really gives you is a more sophisticated, flexible way of screenshotting. And as the WMD2 gang could confirm, I like a nice screenshot or two :)

When GT first introduced it all those years ago I was firmly in the "meh, what's the point of that" camp. Fast forward to now, and while it's not a deal breaker for me, photomode is definitely on my list of pluses for any game (and it's not just a driving game thing - Uncharted 4 has it for example, just off the top of my head).

I can understand it for a race or car show that you actually attend (I took over 200 photos at the last Goodwood Festival of Speed, for example) because those help to capture memories of people, environments and objects that you actually experience, but isn't taking photos in videogames more just about taking a cool photo, rather than capturing some ethereal memory of a life event?

Not knocking photo modes, I just struggle to understand their popularity. If they don't divert resources away from the core gameplay and help to sell copies of the game, then live and let live.

Really? :lol: I guess i learn something new everyday... but i swear in sports games i´ve never seen a lot of talk about taking pictures of the virtual athletes... Anyways, as long as photo mode doesn´t consume a lot of resources from SMS it´s not an issue.

Just visit OperationSports and check out the NBA2K subforum... :sly:

@Masscot -- I tend to save screenshots/"photos" of something I've achieved (usually a self-motivated goal), funny moments or glitches, nice-looking vistas, mementos of my adventure in an RPG, cool moments in a race, and sometimes images to use for a profile/avatar/wallpaper.

Like many of us here, I like how cars look and every once in a while I enjoy saving an image of a drift I pulled off, a car I customized, a battle for position with another car, etc. A videogame also makes it massively simpler to practice photo composition if you're not a photographer, which I'm not.

Back