Project CARS 3 Developer Blog Explains New Tire Physics, Confirms Pit Stops Are History

This is the actual quote and at the end of the day in my opinion its just a polite British way of saying "don't like, don't buy"

And I understand guys, change is hard to embrace. But it's resulted in a better product. Our simmers who've worked on this title love it also. But if it's not for you it's not for you. All we can do is be open and transparent, show you guys the ins-and-outs of the game, and you guys as our community and consumers have the right to make your mind up yourselves if it's not the product for you.

Last edited:
The marketing boys at SMS really need to stop and think from time to time, they have just put up this tweet:

Given its an endurance car and even the shortest events it runs in require mandatory pitstops, it's not hard to guess how well that's gone down!

^ I wonder how the grip cars like that gt3 one are gonna handle in this game.

I definitely need a demo with two cars; one for grip racing like the one above and the other for drifting. I'm so curious about the physics of this game, which btw for all those who were laughing at the corvette video at Interlagos, should watch this:

There's certainly a tiny, but obviously there's part of the sim cummunity that makes us look bad; then you get called elitist and all that crap just for liking sims and using a wheel. But it is just because of the petrolheads who laughed at the aforementioned gameplay video of pc3.

Given its an endurance car and even the shortest events it runs in require mandatory pitstops, it's not hard to guess how well that's gone down!

It's the modded road car version that's on the cover and the trailer too. They are constantly pushing this Mercedes AMG car, no sign of LMP's, classic racers, GT one etc. Just this Merc AMG or the Corvette C7 all the time. Maybe just trying to snag Forza-esque players with their massive roster of 139 cars and im sure the newbie players can't wait to get to obscure locations for them like Raupuna Park. Really why did they think the direction of this game was a good idea? Seems to me it's just like when committees and teams get together and shut themselves away and get so far down the rabbit hole and when they come up and show the project off people go where did that come from and who thought that was a good idea? Well we all thought it was a good idea at the time....

Last edited:
Depends what he plays with i guess. pCars 2 is awful on a gamepad, if pC3 can live up to its control promise then that isn't an argument.

I'm not saying this game was great on a gamepad but I never changed a setting on my Dualshock 4 and got close to world records so to say it's awful is as much of an exaggeration as people's reactions about the game are called exaggerated. Also on a wheel I don't go much faster (more consistent and better on my tyres yes). Playing the game on a gamepad just required a lot of practice and yes a bit of skill but especially the first part is where people get put off because they expect to master something out of the box.

Also some cars were just terrible to drive out of the box, no matter which input device you use.

With all the anger, I think we're not even thinking what SMS have added. And that is tuning parts. To me, adding parts to a car is a massive shortcoming of GT and the other two project cars game. In my opinion, and I know I'm not alone - changing parts is better than pit stops and tire wear. There's nothing on the PS4 that does that except some straight up arcade games.

I know I've been supporting them in this thread, but this is not me approving of taking out pit stops and all that goes with it. I'm disappointed about that. But, there's some of us who are looking forward to this game in spite of these things

With all the anger, I think we're not even thinking what SMS have added. And that is tuning parts. To me, adding parts to a car is a massive shortcoming of GT and the other two project cars game. In my opinion, and I know I'm not alone - changing parts is better than pit stops and tire wear. There's nothing on the PS4 that does that except some straight up arcade games.

I grew out of adding invisible 'stat' changer upgrade parts in racing games in the early 2000's grinding out XP to add a weight reduction or turbo to the car to make its stat go from 598 to 624 etc doesn't really interest me in 2020

I grew out of adding invisible 'stat' changer upgrade parts in racing games in the early 2000's grinding out XP to add a weight reduction or turbo to the car to make its stat go from 598 to 624 etc doesn't really interest me in 2020

Saying 'you grew out of' something strongly implies those who are looking forward to it are immature. Putting parts on a car isn't a "stat changer". By that measure every time you drive a car all you're doing is changing the stats. If they've done parts correctly, it changes a lot about the car. Not just some abstract number you've come up with.

Swapping out your straight 6 for a V-8? You've probably got more power, but added weight. Not to mention the weight distribution is completely changed and probably the whole character of the car. That's just one example. Just because you put in a 'better' part doesn't mean your car does a lap around Spa quicker. To me, this is where the fun and replayability comes in. It's good fun to pass a GT3 down the main straight at Monza with your Honda Civic. I know there'll be sanctioned races where you can't. But racing with your buddies in a Friday night? This kind of thing is perfect!

Saying 'you grew out of' something strongly implies those who are looking forward to it are immature. Putting parts on a car isn't a "stat changer". By that measure every time you drive a car all you're doing is changing the stats. If they've done parts correctly, it changes a lot about the car. Not just some abstract number you've come up with.

Swapping out your straight 6 for a V-8? You've probably got more power, but added weight. Not to mention the weight distribution is completely changed and probably the whole character of the car. That's just one example. Just because you put in a 'better' part doesn't mean your car does a lap around Spa quicker. To me, this is where the fun and replayability comes in. It's good fun to pass a GT3 down the main straight at Monza with your Honda Civic. I know there'll be sanctioned races where you can't. But racing with your buddies in a Friday night? This kind of thing is perfect!

By grew out of, I mean it's the upgrade thing has been done in loads of racing games and is tired by this point to me I have no interest in doing stuff like that anymore. And as for stat changer it basically is, here is part of the game preview article on PCGAMER .COM

" This also means you can take a favourite car all the way through a career, from the lowest level to high-end events, increasing its performance index with new parts. Developer Slightly Mad Studios wants players to feel like they're constantly improving and making progress, and playing in any mode, including multiplayer, will earn you experience points and in-game currency."

As for them saying handling differences and performance feeling radically different etc with upgrades, well they also said "all the sim you could want" then removed pit stops, wear etc.
I wouldn't hold your breath

Last edited:
Gran Turismo Sport removes Tuning upgrade.
Forza Motorsport 7 removes Pit Stop animations.
Project CARS 3 removes car endurance.

WTH is the problem with all of those?!
The funny thing is, Forza Motorsport 7 never had any pit stop animations (or any Forza at that). :P It'd be nice if we finally get it for FM8 though. :)

And if PC3 has no endurance races for those that want it, that is going too far. An option to extend laps in career mode would be nice.

By grew out of, I mean it's the upgrade thing has been done in loads of racing games and is tired by this point to me I have no interest in doing stuff like that anymore. And as for stat changer it basically is, here is part of the game preview article on PCGAMER .COM

" This also means you can take a favourite car all the way through a career, from the lowest level to high-end events, increasing its performance index with new parts. Developer Slightly Mad Studios wants players to feel like they're constantly improving and making progress, and playing in any mode, including multiplayer, will earn you experience points and in-game currency."

As for them saying handling differences and performance feeling radically different etc with upgrades, well they also said "all the sim you could want" then removed pit stops, wear etc.
I wouldn't hold your breath

Ah yes PCGamer. Famous for accuracy and having not actually played the game anyway.

Truth is we don't know enough about the upgrades and such to really know what its going to be like.

I take it you'll be skipping GT7 and FM8 as well then?

Ah yes PCGamer. Famous for accuracy and having not actually played the game anyway.

Truth is we don't know enough about the upgrades and such to really know what its going to be like.

I take it you'll be skipping GT7 and FM8 as well then?

Well on the games radar article interview with Pete Morrish from SMS basically says the same thing as PC Gamer.

As for Forza and GTS, I last bought Forza in 2012 and Grand Turismo in 2003. So yes I'll be skipping those. I think my decision to not continue with those series was validated when I got to try FM7 & GTS those games still handle absolutely terribly on a wheel.

Last edited:
By grew out of, I mean it's the upgrade thing has been done in loads of racing games and is tired by this point to me I have no interest in doing stuff like that anymore.
Upgrades and parts are a fairly integral part of the whole hobby/interest surrounding automobiles and vehicles of all types. Cars are very mechanical, you know. To say the idea is "tired" is hardly so different from saying pitstops aren't necessary because it's been done in games since the 1980s, so the idea is "tired by this point".

Your description of parts as merely "invisible 'stat' changers" also suggests you aren't familiar with how vehicles are simulated in sims. Every car in every sim is defined by a collection of "invisible" values. The "performance index" in a game like this is derived from those values, regardless if car is upgraded or set to its real OEM values. The only thing upgrades do is equip the car with upgraded values.

Speaking about upgrades reminds me about exhaust tuning in Heat. Not a thing to expect from Project Cars unfortunately. Also I believe there will be no engine swaps at all, seems too complicated for this type of game to carry all the aspects of this procedure. Or at least if go magic tires, why not try fancy 4 speed semiautomatic gearboxes, or something like that deep into tech experimentations. Dunno why, but I like and want more 4 speed gearboxes, than those modern 7-8 stages.

Dunno why this last news was about Merc, when obviously there a lot of details to be revealed, instead of car that we saw multiply times.

An interesting take from Dorny a WMD member on the official forum:

"It's blatantly obvious that this game was not Project CARS 3. It was the spin-off game Project CARS Revolution which was talked about last year which was a more arcadey focused version of Project CARS that's more similar to Grid. That's why they have these fictional Grid style city circuits and the upgrading of streetcars and the removal of sim features such as tyre wear, pit stops and fuel consumption. The whole vibe of the game and trailer is completely different to the previous two project cars games, hell they haven't even gone into detail about how they have improved the physics and just saying generic descriptions like its better...

At some point late on in the development of Revolution, they have lost confidence in the ability of this spin-off to sell, so they have just renamed it Project CARS 3 and are panicking to cram as many sim features back into this arcade spinoff that they removed, but there wont be time, so now coming out with far fetched reasons to say why it's gone back on basic simulation features.

It doesn't feel like a sequel to Project Cars 2 because it was not originally designed to be a sequel but a spinoff."

I agreed until this part:

At some point late on in the development of Revolution, they have lost confidence in the ability of this spin-off to sell, so they have just renamed it Project CARS 3 and are panicking to cram as many sim features back into this arcade spinoff that they removed, but there wont be time, so now coming out with far fetched reasons to say why it's gone back on basic simulation features.

They might have renamed it Project CARS 3 for marketing reasons, but I haven’t seen any attempts to "cram" sim features so far. I think they wanted to do a Shift game with realistic driving from the start and that’s what we’re getting.

"It's blatantly obvious that this game was not Project CARS 3. It was the spin-off game Project CARS Revolution which was talked about last year which was a more arcadey focused version of Project CARS that's more similar to Grid. That's why they have these fictional Grid style city circuits and the upgrading of streetcars and the removal of sim features such as tyre wear, pit stops and fuel consumption. The whole vibe of the game and trailer is completely different to the previous two project cars games, hell they haven't even gone into detail about how they have improved the physics and just saying generic descriptions like its better...

It doesn't feel like a sequel to Project Cars 2 because it was not originally designed to be a sequel but a spinoff."

If I recall correctly, around the time of the whole "MadBox" debacle, SMS had 3 announced games in development, Project Cars 3 was not one of them.

Fast and Furious
Project Cars Revolution
Project Cars Go

So most, like myself, seemed very surprised when 3 was announced. Basically, like everyone else has been saying, this blow-back could have all been avoided by calling the game Revolution. I'm also of the mind that Project Cars Go was axed, and or merged with Project Cars Revolution to make 3. But I'm probably way off base. Although that could actually bode well for crossplay. Though not in the direction I was hoping for.:lol:

To be honest, this is the first time anything has made a bit of sense with this whole disaster. It seems related to the Project Cars franchise in no more than name, and clearly is a hard turn away from the community SMS had previously sought to serve.

Well that answers all of our questions.

That's one theory. Another theory is they made pc3 more arcade to be a better acquisition for Codemasters.

I think my decision to not continue with those series was validated when I got to try FM7 & GTS those games still handle absolutely terribly on a wheel.

can’t speak for FM7 as I’m a PS4 user but that’s absolute ********, GT Sport is fantastic with my G29

One major thing about PC3 that tickles me ol' bones.

A thing I've strived for since I started playing "sim" racing games, be it on or offline*, is being clean - a little rubbing, a little, is absolutely fine, but try to avoid hitting opponents. I'd rather hit the grass overshooting my braking point than ram another car. And I really don't think it's just me trying to be as clean as possible...

But: In PC3, you can gain XP for ramming your opponent off the track... "All the sim you could ever want".... right..

* Which is not nearly as much as I'd like and I'm not very fast either - I still think my point is valid though.

Latest Posts

Back