Project CARS 3 Developer Blog Explains New Tire Physics, Confirms Pit Stops Are History

Im slowly warming to the idea of what they're doing here in effect were getting pure uninterrupted racing. I dont like the idea of position gains from strategy whilst perfectly valid, IMO its also pretty weak compared to racecraft on the tack itself. If you heavily rely on strategy to get a win, im sure this change will be unwelcome perhaps its time to sharpen those racing claws again and rejoin the fray... Its looking like with reduced damage for all participants (no pitting for repairs) will allow some rubbing not necessarily a bad thing, and there wont be drive through penalties either (wont miss them at all). Its not going to devolve all the way to wreckfest levels of chaos, but this could be quite an interesting way forward... I like arcade games as much as sims so less rules with better sim style handling models might "turn" out to be a good combination lol

I think the community on here will get the sim PC game they desire in the future and that the franchise might diverge much like the dirt series has... Ironically it might be the arcade style side of the franchise that subsidises the sim franchise's survival...

I wouldnt mind a short demo before August 29 on this one to verify things with physics ffb etc. It could be cool for track days, drifting and such

I'd be very surprised if there's a demo, unless policy has changed under Codies. Ian Bell was always against demos on the basis that they tend to reduce initial sales overall (not totally sure I buy that myself, but I understand the thinking). We only got a demo for pCARS2 a while after release, and presumably as a throw of the dice because sales had been lower than they'd hoped for.

t they're doing here in effect were getting pure uninterrupted racing. I dont like the idea of position gains from strategy whilst perfectly valid, IMO its also pretty weak compared to racecraft on the tack itself. If you heavily rely on strategy to get a win, im sure this change will be unwelcome perhaps its time to sharpen those racing claws again and rejoin the fray... Its looking like with reduced damage for all participants (no pitting for repairs) will allow some rubbing not necessarily a bad thing, and there wont be drive through penalties either (wont miss them at all). Its not going to devolve all the way to wreckfest levels of chaos, but this could be quite an interesting way forward... I like arcade games as much as sims so less rules with better sim style handling models might "turn" out to be a good combination lol

You are probably right. It can be still good. And probably i will give it a chance, but i am dissapointed with this false marketing. Definitely will buy it later not day one.

I hope we will still see hardcore sims on consoles in the future.

You are probably right. It can be still good. And probably i will give it a chance, but i am dissapointed with this false marketing. Definitely will buy it later not day one.

I hope we will still see hardcore sims on consoles in the future.
I'm not trying to bait or anuthing, but I'm genuinely wondering what false marketing you're talking about. Did they say there'd be pit stops earlier? Or damage, tire wear? Maybe they did and I missed it. They did say sim, but a game can still be a sim without pit stops.

I'm not trying to bait or anuthing, but I'm genuinely wondering what false marketing you're talking about. Did they say there'd be pit stops earlier? Or damage, tire wear? Maybe they did and I missed it. They did say sim, but a game can still be a sim without pit stops.

This:
upload_2020-6-30_14-25-20.png

and this:
upload_2020-6-30_14-26-45.png

and this
upload_2020-6-30_14-27-14.png

and general they said it isn't dumb down it is the same customizable expirience. It was just false advertising in my opinion.

This:
View attachment 936251
and this:
View attachment 936252
and this
View attachment 936253

and general they said it isn't dumb down it is the same customizable expirience. It was just false advertising in my opinion.
Yeah, I see where you're coming from. But I also see it from their point of view. Maybe he shouldn't have said 'all the sim you could want', because it isn't really. But he also said the core sim experience is there, which I'm guessing it will be. This is marketing speak, and as long as the game delivers I think it will be fantastic. But execution, as always, is the key. It's like a chef preparing a meal. You're expecting a fine dining experience and he says he's going to make a grilled cheese. But if he makes the most incredible tasting grilled cheese ever and elevates it, it could still be considered fine dining

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. But I also see it from their point of view. Maybe he shouldn't have said 'all the sim you could want', because it isn't really. But he also said the core sim experience is there, which I'm guessing it will be. This is marketing speak, and as long as the game delivers I think it will be fantastic. But execution, as always, is the key. It's like a chef preparing a meal. You're expecting a fine dining experience and he says he's going to make a grilled cheese. But if he makes the most incredible tasting grilled cheese ever and elevates it, it could still be considered fine dining

Sounds like you're reaching as much as SMS. Fuel and tyre wear are 100% part of a "core sim experience". You can't claim to be simulating core parts of real world racing whilst not simulating tyre and fuel wear.

So what are they simulating? Because it isn't reality.

Sounds like you're reaching as much as SMS. Fuel and tyre wear are 100% part of a "core sim experience". You can't claim to be simulating core parts of real world racing whilst not simulating tyre and fuel wear.

Semantics about sim-antics soz couldn't help myself lol

Is that nathan guy the same guy who said if you don't like it don't buy it? cause i find that pretty insulting for someone in his position to say.

Not sure insulting is the way I'd put it. Risky, for a developer for sure, but he isn't far from the truth.

If I put myself in his shoes, you're part of a dev team slaving over a game for over 3 years, excited about what you've created, excited about what you've seen and excited about releasing it. Only to get the hate he and Ian have been receiving since Sony inadvertently showed the game. My response would be along the same lines as his.

This game is going to bomb worse than Grid. Previous Grid games were actually liked by the fans of arcade / simcade titles. With pCARS 3 they've pretty much alienated most of the pCARS 1&2 fanbase already.

In my opinion the only hope for this game would be calling it a spin-off and naming it something like Project CARS Shift from day 1, not trying to market it is a better and more exciting new mainline entry.

So what is the "core" sim experience? One with all the bells and whistles? To me, core means the base of the game, which is driving a vehicle. Pit stops, damage, tire wear, qualifying, tuning, official cars, real tracks, championships, real vehicle licensing, adjustable aids, and the like would all be stuff that you would add on after the core experience of driving a vehicle. At least to me

I know this is semantics, as @evldave333 humorously pointed out. But I am just replying to the claim of false advertising. And I didn't totally disagree either. Just saying I see it from SMS's point of view as well

That’s me dedicating next 6months to ACC then
Yeah me too ,I'm only on ACC now from here on out,it's unbelievable project cars are taking out pitstops,they completely sold out to the masses and let all of us loyal Sim racers down...☹️

Not sure insulting is the way I'd put it. Risky, for a developer for sure, but he isn't far from the truth.

If I put myself in his shoes, you're part of a dev team slaving over a game for over 3 years, excited about what you've created, excited about what you've seen and excited about releasing it. Only to get the hate he and Ian have been receiving since Sony inadvertently showed the game. My response would be along the same lines as his.

I agree, the nature of a sim enthusiast the obsession for detail etc (no bad thing) makes them a very very tough crowd to please. At the end of the day we're getting another driving game to try out I guarantee it wont be as bad as Fast n Furious lol. I bet some of the developers will be feeling quite burnt right now, particularly as the game hasn't been played yet which is the defining factor.

You'll defend anything they say and do.:rolleyes:

But this pretty much sums it up.

This release sounds almost identical to Battlefield 5 debacle. Nathan Bell said yesterday "if its not for you, don't buy it" that's almost exactly what the Battlefield 5 boss said before release when there was concern about what was happening with the game and caused outrage. It has been the most troubled game of the series with complaints all the way through its life and it was announced EA Cancelled Battlefield 5 support, it was meant to have another year and a half of support and more maps weapons etc, but the board disappointed with complaints and sales numbers told the team to drop it and start production of the new game Battlefield 6 after the disaster and complaints.

PC2 for some reason people keep calling a 'niche' game sat on the game sales chart at No.2 only beaten by destiny 2. Its even on game pass now picking up more supporters etc. Then they try and make out all these changes to OPTIONAL items are the things what were putting new players off, nonsense. Maybe poor controller handling I agree but taking out optional pit stops etc does not fix that LOL.

It all feels like the BF5 disaster and I think its going to backfire big time, especially after telling all the fans that dearly love PC2 "if you don't like it don't buy it"

SMS better hope they dont have there own version of BF5

Is that nathan guy the same guy who said if you don't like it don't buy it? cause i find that pretty insulting for someone in his position to say.

Same guy.
Same phrase Battlefield V used before launch too

The quote is this:

Nathan Bell
Our simmers who've worked on this title love it also. But if it's not for you it's not for you. All we can do is be open and transparent, show you guys the ins-and-outs of the game, and you guys as our community and consumers have the right to make your mind up yourselves if it's not the product for you.

If you're insulted by this, I don't know what to tell you...

The quote is this:

If you're insulted by this, I don't know what to tell you...
Sorry but your quote is pretty different from this one?

Which is right do you have a pic of the quote itself?

This release sounds almost identical to Battlefield 5 debacle. Nathan Bell said yesterday "if its not for you, don't buy it" that's almost exactly what the Battlefield 5 boss said before release when there was concern about what was happening with the game and caused outrage.

I don't know that's why i'm trying to get to the bottom of what the right quote is.

That's a pretty big difference in quotes and the mods there didn't call that user out?

I think people on the forum read "But if it's not for you it's not for you" as "if you don't like it don't buy it", it carries the same message if we just look at that phrase only.

Sorry but your quote is pretty different from this one?

Which is right do you have a pic of the quote itself?

Project cars forum.

The guy "DG02" showed where he took this "quote" right here:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...-This-summer&p=1596606&viewfull=1#post1596606

That's a pretty big difference in quotes and the mods there didn't call that user out?

They did, right here:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...s-3-This-summer/page166&p=1596601#post1596601

I don't know that's why i'm trying to get to the bottom of what the right quote is.

It looks to me like his longer quote has been condensed into what some people wanted to hear from it in their rage against the game.

Either way, I still wouldn't blame him for saying it but whether he did or not is different. Besides, the pCars forum seems to be rallying a bit to get behind the game.

So what is the "core" sim experience? One with all the bells and whistles? To me, core means the base of the game, which is driving a vehicle. Pit stops, damage, tire wear, qualifying, tuning, official cars, real tracks, championships, real vehicle licensing, adjustable aids, and the like would all be stuff that you would add on after the core experience of driving a vehicle. At least to me

I know this is semantics, as @evldave333 humorously pointed out. But I am just replying to the claim of false advertising. And I didn't totally disagree either. Just saying I see it from SMS's point of view as well

So can you drive a vehicle without tyre and fuel wear occurring? I've never managed it. They're a fundamental part of driving and simulating driving IMO. Pit stops, no, they're obviously not a core part of driving simulation. But again, the game is CARS, not CADS. They claim, in the title, to be a racing simulator.

Sure, there is no legal/dictionary definition of what should be simulated in a racing simulator, but I'd wager most real racing drivers would laugh if you were claiming to be one, but not simulating tyre and fuel wear.

So can you drive a vehicle without tyre and fuel wear occurring? I've never managed it. They're a fundamental part of driving and simulating driving IMO. Pit stops, no, they're obviously not a core part of driving simulation. But again, the game is CARS, not CADS. They claim, in the title, to be a racing simulator.

Sure, there is no legal/dictionary definition of what should be simulated in a racing simulator, but I'd wager most real racing drivers would laugh if you were claiming to be one, but not simulating tyre and fuel wear.
I see your point, I really do. But I think it's debatable, that's all I'm saying. And I see his point. If the game drives well, I surely can do races. I talked to some friends last night about the game -they're big car guys. We've raced many hours together online. I was talking to them about this game, and were way more concerned that the vehicle felt like a vehicle when they're driving it. I cared a lot more than they did about the pit stop removal (and the tire wear, fuel). I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm not saying Nathan Bell is right. I'm just saying that from a certain point of view (please read in Obi-Wan's voice) he's right. It's a matter of perception

Back