Project CARS 3 Developer Blog Explains New Tire Physics, Confirms Pit Stops Are History

Hmm, interesting news. And it seems I have a different view about it to many others.

Ok so this doesn't appear to be a direct evolution of PC2, more of the revolution from the original working title. Perhaps calling it "3" might have been the wrong decision because it gives the wrong impression to existing players who thought they were getting the same, but more of it. As a long time PC2er I'd fallen into that trap. But now it seems we're getting similar, but not the same.

It's going to be a slightly different type of game but using the underlying handling/track/weather model. Less about the details more about the driving. Which for a large audience is not a bad thing.

I've had a ponder about it and rather than the knee jerk reaction of writing it off straight away I'm still quite keen to hear more info about it. I think it may have the potential of being a decent pure racing game with good "physics" rather than the more in-depth motorsports simulation of the previous titles. And yes it might actually be fun! :nervous:

(Yes I'd at least like a pitstop option. Options are what SMS were known for after all. But this is a different game! And I've still got PC2 for all that)

& some of the new tracks have been released...
SMK_Rainbow_Road_Lower-Screen_Map.png

Rainbow_Road_(SNES)

I really hope this game is fun and sells really well.

Project CARS was never going to compete with ACC, AMS2 and iRacing as a sim. What it can be is a sim-lite competitor to Gran Turismo and Forza with better physics, and accessible to casual players on all platforms.

Ill probably wait for black Friday sales to pick it up cheap. Im sure it will be good, but im definitely disappointed that there are no pit stops.

It sort of falls onto the Forza 7 ways of dynamic weather but your tires still work in the rain.

I'll be keen to see what the reviews say come release.

This tweet has more sense now
View attachment 935353

Hmm, interesting news. And it seems I have a different view about it to many others.

Ok so this doesn't appear to be a direct evolution of PC2, more of the revolution from the original working title. Perhaps calling it "3" might have been the wrong decision because it gives the wrong impression to existing players who thought they were getting the same, but more of it. As a long time PC2er I'd fallen into that trap. But now it seems we're getting similar, but not the same.

It's going to be a slightly different type of game but using the underlying handling/track/weather model. Less about the details more about the driving. Which for a large audience is not a bad thing.

I've had a ponder about it and rather than the knee jerk reaction of writing it off straight away I'm still quite keen to hear more info about it. I think it may have the potential of being a decent pure racing game with good "physics" rather than the more in-depth motorsports simulation of the previous titles. And yes it might actually be fun! :nervous:

(Yes I'd at least like a pitstop option. Options are what SMS were known for after all. But this is a different game! And I've still got PC2 for all that)

That tweet was from last year...

Yes I agree with you.
As I said before, the should have been named PC Revolution... Not PC3.

If they ever decide to release a proper follow up to PC2, the PC3 would be appropriate.

But right now, it should have been PC Rev.

Having said that, I think I will still buy this... I unfortunately don't plan on sinking over $500 for another console within the next two years...

I have still too many "cats" to take care of and can't justify getting into GT7 with so little time to dedicate...
I will be happy with the pitless low commitment PC"3".

Edit:

They had pitstop in PC2.
I don't understand why SMS couldn't just copy past the exact same thing over to PC3. That wouldn't require any time at all if they were already short, unless of course if they have new track... But still...
Making it optional would have been perfect. Everyone wins...
Now... You are stepping on your loyal customers' feet.

They have gone from SMS to CM (completely Mad)
I will blame it on CM.

This is now a Piece of Shift 3 ;)

Last edited:
(I'll just Ctrl-V what I posted elsewhere here)

Meh, could still be fun. That's all I really care about.

I mean, if they really want to go full Shift 3, more power to them. I enjoyed the first two games and the PCars series so this still interests me. If it's a culmination of everything they've learned over the years into a fun package for everyone I think this could still be a good racing title, even if it's missing pit stops. Not a great idea for those who wanted them, but I can do without.

I can kind of see where the SMS team are coming from here. I've had friends come in while I've been playing games like Assetto Corsa or Project CARS 2 and they often roll their eyes and call these kinds of games boring. There's a huge crowd of people out there that don't get the point behind sim racing. If this game can serve as a kind of gateway drug, it could be really good for the community. Unfortunately they seem to have alienated a large part of their fanbase because of it, but it's a noble sentiment nonetheless in my opinion.

As far as naming this thing goes. I don't agree with people saying "Project Cars Revolution" would have saved this game's reputation. Look at GT Sport. It didn't have a number in the name and tonnes of people hated it anyways for not being a normal GT game. If they called in Revolution I bet the same thing would have happened regardless.

Typical simmer drama as always...

Btw: GT3 can drive for over an hour without refuel or tire change... And you can have great races without those features... Most important for me is a great handling and that drift video from Austin O. just looked awesome and so much better then what i experienced in Pcars 2 when drifting. Can´t wait to get my hands on this game.

And tbh i will not miss any of the pit stops, tire type, pressure ect bugs Pcars 2 has :P

#lessfiddlingjustracing

Typical simmer drama as always...

Btw: GT3 can drive for over an hour without refuel or tire change... And you can have great races without those features... Most important for me is a great handling and that drift video from Austin O. just looked awesome and so much better then what i experienced in Pcars 2 when drifting. Can´t wait to get my hands on this game.

And tbh i will not miss any of the pit stops, tire type, pressure ect bugs Pcars 2 has :P

#lessfiddlingjustracing

It isn't just fuel or tire changes though. No pits also means no damage.

I'm fairly disappointed in this, I was looking forward to PCars 2.5. All SMS had to do was just a bit more of what they had been getting better at since they started. They would have been the best Sim on the market.

I run a lot of endurance races in my league and this basically ruins all of that. Ugh. Maybe ACC will end up better than it started.

Terrible, terrible news.

Livetrack and dynamic weather have no more reasons to exist.

Tire wear and tire compound will be completely neglected.

Race strategy in long races and endurance races will be absent.

A huge step backward for a series. HUGE.

This is like a complete declaration of defeat, a white flag raised on the pole of current gen games.

And in the same years GTS has shown that pit strategy and tire compound could be easily handled also in simcade games, being appreciated by the players.

No pits also means no damage.

There was damage in the first gameplay trailer. Now whether it was visual or both remains to be seen, but it was there in some capacity.

And in the same years GTS has shown that pit strategy and tire compound could be easily handled also in simcade games, being appreciated by the players.

I just want to mention that only a miniscule fraction of the total GT Sport player-base ever touched the races with tire wear and fuel consumption turned on. The vast majority of players have never even touched the competitive races, and even less have participated in the ones with pit stops. (This is all publicly available information on Kudosprime BTW.)

(Just checked in to the stats again, 82% of registered accounts have never touched the competitive races, only 2% have completed more than 11 races. From those numbers we can assume that less than 2% of the players of GTS have ever been in a race with pit stops outside of arcade mode.)

I'm just hoping that this news is a hint that SMS has finally learned from their mistakes that they made during pCARS 1 and pCARS 2.
Making a game for everyone takes an incredible amount of manpower and time that SMS just didn't have. They were biting off more than they could chew.
Features quantity was chosen over features quality.

Let's hope that this is a sign that they decided to limit themselves from adding new features endlessly and try to improve the quality of the game, even if it means that they needed to sacrifice some features from the previous games.

There was damage in the first gameplay trailer. Now whether it was visual or both remains to be seen, but it was there in some capacity.

I just want to mention that only a miniscule fraction of the total GT Sport player-base ever touched the races with tire wear and fuel consumption turned on. The vast majority of players have never even touched the competitive races, and even less have participated in the ones with pit stops. (This is all publicly available information on Kudosprime BTW.)

(Just checked in to the stats again, 82% of registered accounts have never touched the competitive races, only 2% have completed more than 11 races. From those numbers we can assume that less than 2% of the players of GTS have ever been in a race with pit stops outside of arcade mode.)

But the tire compound and tire wear play a role even in the single player of GTS, in the GT3 Endurance event at Monza for example, where the strategy on tire wear and fuel consumption is an essential part of the event, ad actually provides an evident additional layer of interest and fun.

Or maybe is just silly me that I enjoy having also these aspects. Silly, silly me.

This tweet has more sense now
View attachment 935353

surely a game changer, a change that the original fan base didn't ask for.

it could still be a good game after all but getting rid of such features really kills the part that make pCARS unique to its console competitors. Maybe it is time to save up for a better PC to get back into sim racing again.

I'm looking for a joke...

SMS: Something, something, sandbox.
SMS: Something, something, pitbox.

It's in there somewhere.

Livetrack and dynamic weather have no more reasons to exist.
That one certainly isn't true.

I'm just hoping that this news is a hint that SMS has finally learned from their mistakes that they made during pCARS 1 and pCARS 2.
Making a game for everyone takes an incredible amount of manpower and time that SMS just didn't have. They were biting off more than they could chew.
Features quantity was chosen over features quality.

Let's hope that this is a sign that they decided to limit themselves from adding new features endlessly and try to improve the quality of the game, even if it means that they needed to sacrifice some features from the previous games.
I just made a post on that in the poll thread. Really, PCARS2 did not do a terribly great job at these very things that have been trimmed.

I wish they had been fixed instead, but hey, I'm not privy to the tribulations SMS faced trying to solve them or the way development on PCARS3 progressed overall.

That one certainly isn't true.

I just made a post on that in the poll thread. Really, PCARS2 did not do a terribly great job at these very things that have been trimmed.

Tell me you are joking, please.

Unless you are happy of the following scenario:
"Ok, let's start a race in a sunny day but some clouds are forecast to come in a while. Dry tire (compound does not matter anymore, but who cares). Holy ****, after few laps starts raining. I have 4 laps left, what I could do? Pit and mount the intermediate/wet, or keep cruising with the dry tires and see how it goes? Ah no wait, the pitstop are history now, so I bet is dry until the end".

And, dynamic weather ceases to have a reason.

I'm looking for a joke...

SMS: Something, something, sandbox.
SMS: Something, something, pitbox.

It's in there somewhere.

They did confirm the sandbox mode is still there for players who wanted it but the weeks of dodging pit stops question has been answered at this point. The joke is probably at Ian's words on "all the sim features you wanted will be there"

Tell me you are joking, please.

Unless you are happy of the following scenario:
"Ok, let's start a race in a sunny day but some clouds are forecast to come in a while. Dry tire (compound does not matter anymore, but who cares). Holy ****, after few laps starts raining. I have 4 laps left, what I could do? Pit and mount the intermediate/wet, or keep cruising with the dry tires and see how it goes? Ah no wait, the pitstop are history now, so I bet is dry until the end".

And, dynamic weather ceases to have a reason.

They have magic tyres for that, your tyre will magically evolved into a rain tyre while driving if it started to rain suddenly. It was posted by Wicken on the general discussion thread:

1s09Evk.png

it is a rubbish alternative

So much whining from the sim snobs. Oh well I guess now I'll be branded as some "Filthy Casual" just for stating my opinion on this. See if I care...

Nah we don’t name call or censor here, that’s what Racedepartment is for.

I keep hearing SMS talk about fun. A lot of us find it fun to strategize balancing fuel and tire wear in between pit stops over a 45 minute race.

With one swift sentence in a blog they took that fun side of sim racing away.
I won’t say I won’t buy it, just bummed but hey there’s plenty of other drives out there.

Since they solely want to focus on the "going fast" aspect of racing, it's safe to say that if you hit the redline on top gear your car engine wont suffer damage?

Because after all, with long gear ratios you could avoid hitting the redline and damaging the engine, and that should fall under their purview of "engineering tactics".

Hmmm let's see what else is there:

No pits stops means no refuelling, which means now every car will start the race with only 1 liter in the tank, as to maintain the optimal weight.
No worries about fuel consumption as it's disabled, now you just gotta drive fast.

No need to worry about brake fading anymore, as running the factory stock would cause fading after two laps, now you can go ham throughout the entire race on your 60's car with drum brakes right from the 1st lap.
Otherwise it would be considered "engineering tactics" to put on vented disk brakes on your car after the race, can't have that anymore, now you gotta go fast.

I mean, the game will even automatically switch tires for you!

....Are they sure they should market their game as a racing simulator anymore? Because the simulator part of it is clearly being cut short in favor of a more casual gameplay.

They did confirm the sandbox mode is still there for players who wanted it but the weeks of dodging pit stops question has been answered at this point. The joke is probably at Ian's words on "all the sim features you wanted will be there"

They have magic tyres for that, your tyre will magically evolved into a rain tyre while driving if it started to rain suddenly. It was posted by Wicken on the general discussion thread:

1s09Evk.png

it is a rubbish alternative

LMAO.

Guys, tell me we are in Ridge Racer section of GTPlanet, and I did not realize.

“By removing tyre wear and fuel usage, we could in turn remove pitstops, which resulted in much closer and more consistent racing.... and it’s just made Project CARS 3 into a much better racing-driver experience.”

Translation: Unfortunately we weren't able (or didn't feel like) to program this feature because we are more focused on releasing the game and start making money. But we came up with some boilerplate statement of why removing an essential feature in any racing game (in this case, one that self-proclaims to be a full-on simulator) is an actual good thing!

Stay tuned for Mortal Kombat 12. "We decided to remove jumping to make matches more fluid and focus on a more up-close and personal experience!"

Back