Project CARS General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 20,822 comments
*puts on Jeremy Clarkson voice*

Every time someone mentions ToCA Race Driver 3 they do so with a twinkle in their eye, remembering fondly of days gone by, playing the game on consoles nobody owns anymore at a resolution that makes Minecraft look rather spherical. It was indeed the racing game of it's time representing the peak of playability and immersion for its generation. Dreaming about hitting the apex at Paddock Hill on a lawn mower, you can almost smell the freshly cut grass as you run wide and crash into the barriers.
"Will there ever be another racing game that compares?" You ask, and now there is... almost.

Project CARS (yes, it's all capital letters) is the closest thing I have ever played that even comes close to the feelings I remember from my ToCA days and if SMS get their act together and quickly squash the annoying bugs still in the game, in years gone by people will reminisce about Project CARS in the same way.

Project CARS is still a bit broken and on occasions you will get attacked by a ghost, sending your chosen racer flying high into the clouds, but when everything is working well it is fantastic! Especially career mode. I've found the various championships a total joy to compete in, from the nippy Clio Cup to the full throttle Formula A, Project CARS has offered me a level of realism I have never before experienced on a console. I've been fully engrossed in every practice session, every pits stop and every time I've overcooked it coming out of a hairpin and sent myself spinning across the grass like a lost ballerina.

The AI, even though they aren't perfect are also competitive, providing you with side by side, paint scraping, edge of the seat races that will keep you coming back for more and give the game potentially endless longevity. Yes, they cut the corner and push their way in front, yes they get a bit stuck on certain corners, and yes sometimes they give up altogether and park up at the side of the track, but I like it! it gives them a sort of human quality. So despite getting roughed up on a tight left-hander, or pushed off track coming up to the chicane the game is still enjoyable enough to leave you sweating at the checker flag.. or swearing at the TV like a drunk Scotsman. Besides, what's the alternative, predictably maneuvering past a soul less train of robotic drones that couldn't smash you wide if they wanted to? No thanks!

What I enjoy the most about Project CARS is (when using a wheel) how every car feels completely different to drive. I don't know what kind of sorcery they used to create this affect, but to me it's truly astonishing. From the heavy, arm breaking steering in the open-wheelers, to the Sierra Cosworth that has steering so light it will have your arms flapping about like your trying to put up an umbrella on a windy day, each car has it's own handling characteristics that after a while will leave you believing you could tell which car you are driving with your eyes closed.

The ToCA series is what got me into racing sims/games when I was a youngster, playing as the heroes (well they were my heroes anyway) I was watching on TV on a Sunday afternoon. Being the champion at the end of series and embarking on a fantasy journey that saw me winning every championship of my virtual career.

It may not yet be the finished article, but if Slightly Mad get busy removing the slightly maddening bugs, Project CARS could be looked back at in years to come as the series that inspired the next generation of little racers to pick up a pad or a wheel and get as much enjoyment controlling tiny pixels on a screen as I did, then in time to come, when these little racers have had little racers of their own and think back to the days of the Project CARS and how it was the best sim racing game... in the world! ;)
Literally read to the point of Jeremy clarkson voice and was like not reading the rest, but this deserves a like!

Was driving the classic McLaren F1 today at Donington Park National. My God, is that car tail happy! You need to be so gentle and gradual with the brake and gas otherwise it will react very violently. Love this game, can't wait for dlc.
:D
I tried it at Laguna Seca. Did not really know what to expect and I went off track several times before I completed half a lap :lol:
Afterwards I adjusted my driving and I really like the car now.
Imagine a fresh egg between the throttle and your foot and try not to break it...

Was driving the classic McLaren F1 today at Donington Park National. My God, is that car tail happy! You need to be so gentle and gradual with the brake and gas otherwise it will react very violently. Love this game, can't wait for dlc.

It's an absolute handful, i imagine wrestling a crocodile to be similar.

I've got a ridiculous setup for that car where it looks like a boat driving along with the front end visibly higher than the rear end. When I brake heavy the whole car kinda pulls down to the ground, and in my head that means it's working like a suction effect which helps it slow down. It's perfectly drivable now though, but I really find adjusting the gears so 2nd becomes 1st, 3rd becomes 2nd etc helps massively.

not sure where to post this, as the tuning section seems dead.

All four of my tyres are overheating massively during a Dubai GT3 career race in the SLS. Ironically, they were just about okay during quali and practice yet one lap into the race they are on fire. I have tried moving brake bias more towards the rear, and increased the pressures but if anything they are getting worse. the caster cannot be changed and i shouldn't need to mess with the camber.

i got pole with a 1:56, yet with the same setup i cannot dip under 1:58 mins because of the damn tyres.

i thought increasing the tyre pressures should reduce heat ?
any ideas would be greatly appreciated please.

Last edited:
not sure where to post this, as the tuning section seems dead.

All four of my tyres are overheating massively during a Dubai GT3 career race in the SLS. Ironically, they were just about okay during quali and practice yet one lap into the race they are on fire. I have tried moving brake bias more towards the rear, and increased the pressures but if anything they are getting worse. the caster cannot be changed and i shouldn't need to mess with the camber.

i got pole with a 1:56, yet with the same setup i cannot dip under 1:58 mins because of the damn tyres.

Try to decrease them , it never hurts and for me at Catalunya it helped with the Ruf .
Strange but truth .

That's what I used to think but it's not always the case. I was driving a car the other night (Caterham SP300 IIRC) and my tyres were going red so I drastically lowered the pressure and they settled to around 900 degrees. Could feel a slight loss of grip but they stayed green after that. Just try messing with the pressures a bit. No harm really.

That's what I used to think but it's not always the case. I was driving a car the other night (Caterham SP300 IIRC) and my tyres were going red so I drastically lowered the pressure and they settled to around 900 degrees. Could feel a slight loss of grip but they stayed green after that. Just try messing with the pressures a bit. No harm really.

Try to decrease them , it never hurts and for me at Catalunya it helped with the Ruf .
Strange but truth .
thanks for the responses, i'll try to reduce them a little and see what happens.

I asked Ian and apparently the spring/clipping issue with the Thrustmaster wheels after 1.4 is not a bug:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...UT-NOW-on-PC&p=1030425&viewfull=1#post1030425
Still think it's a bug, because with the same settings after deleting the profile and getting back in the game it fixes the clipping for me. Same 100 tire force. Somehow when you either change controllers or reset wheel settings this happens. Anyway, hopefully it's just PR and they will actually fix it.

Is the Classic Team Lotus 98T Turbo '86 the hardest car to drive in pCars? I'm hoping so as my cluedgy tune is barely making ti drivable in 2nd without some jitters.

Jerome

Is the Classic Team Lotus 98T Turbo '86 the hardest car to drive in pCars? I'm hoping so as my cluedgy tune is barely making ti drivable in 2nd without some jitters.

Jerome

It's a lot easier to drive with the boost turned down.

It's a lot easier to drive with the boost turned down.

How do you do that? I'll have to go find that option.

It's very hard to drive, if you get in the powerband she's gets squirrely and if you are out of the powerband, the Clio Cup car accelerates better; lose-lose :lol:

Jerome

It's very hard to drive, if you get in the powerband she's gets squirrely and if you are out of the powerband, the Clio Cup car accelerates better; lose-lose :lol:

Jerome

It's on the last page of the settings, where you set the fuel loads, just below those.

Wierd thing with GT3 class racing, out of 100 races i did I won more than half of them, but near every time I loose its a random guy in a blue (maybe some kind of club/clan???) MC12 GT3- is it the best GT3 car? (driving the Continental GT). The leading cars are always +/- 0.1s but those guys right away jump like 1,7s per lap.

Any idea???

Wierd thing with GT3 class racing, out of 100 races i did I won more than half of them, but near every time I loose its a random guy in a blue (maybe some kind of club/clan???) MC12 GT3- is it the best GT3 car? (driving the Continental GT). The leading cars are always +/- 0.1s but those guys right away jump like 1,7s per lap.

Any idea???
There's a comment in the 2.0 patch notes that says something about some AI cars are put at a much higher skill level than they should be. Maybe it has to do with that?

Any idea???
It's Ravenwest. They're a class act. :lol:

There's a comment in the 2.0 patch notes that says something about some AI cars are put at a much higher skill level than they should be. Maybe it has to do with that?
Yes I'm seeing a stupidly fast car out in front that I can't catch every now and again, hopefully the patch will indeed stop this from happening.

On a side note, I saw an ozwheels23 (?) with a world's fastest time as I was racing last night. Is that you? Can't remember which track though.

I just bought a pair of Sony PS4 wireless 2.0 headphones (the virtual 7.1 is really nice in other games btw) but now I've lost pit engineer audio.

Previously if I turned off my DS4 the Stig would come through my amp and speakers but now I'm using a headset that connects directly to the PS4 there is no longer Stig chat unless I turn the pad back on. Is this an oversight? Can't find any settings to help this on my end.

Yes I'm seeing a stupidly fast car out in front that I can't catch every now and again, hopefully the patch will indeed stop this from happening.

On a side note, I saw an ozwheels23 (?) with a world's fastest time as I was racing last night. Is that you? Can't remember which track though.
Nope that's not me but if you could ask that person to change their name I would appreciate it. 👍

Jerome

Fiddling with the dif seems to be more reasonable, since you don't lose the turbo power and can actually drive the thing.

Last edited:
Fiddling with the dif seems to be more reasonable, since you don't lost the turbo power and can actually drive the thing.

Can you elaborate on the dif you are talking about? How should I adjust it, up r down

Jerome

Did the 2.0 patch add support for this months DLC (but we won't be able to access it until later) I noticed it was quite a large patch...

Latest Posts

Back