Project CARS - Hardware recommendation on PC

Define 'good settings'. For that amount, you're looking at a laptop with a decent quad-core, 8GB, and something like a GTX860M. You'll probably get away with medium settings, but that's a bit of a guess (unsure how it will perform with a fairly large sized grid for instance).

Let me save you a hundred bucks.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JkgcjX

That has all of the same parts, more storage space, and adds in a sense of accomplishment once you're done putting it together. You can use the $100 bucks you save to get a nice mechanical keyboard, or a better graphics card, or whatever you wanna do with it.

Knock yourself out if you wanna swap the case for something you like more.

Having only just built my first PC less than a month ago, I gotta say that it's tremendously fun.
That's an idea I've been toying around with, I'm just not sure I have enough patience, and if steady hands are needed at any point, it's game over for me.

That's an idea I've been toying around with, I'm just not sure I have enough patience, and if steady hands are needed at any point, it's game over for me.
It really isn't that bad. If fear is the only reason you won't build it yourself...do it. There are thousands of YouTube instructional videos out there to help you along.

Edit: you will need an OS as well. That isn't a truly comprehensive parts required list.

I was going to build my own but had a local shop recommended to me, a "mom and pop" operation that's been around for 15 years or so, and he only charged me $100 or so to put it all together and he made some money on the parts obviously. He knows what he's doing obviously, so he can chuck the thing together in a fraction of the time I can and it just wasn't worth the risk for me. That's something you might want to look into if you can find someone local to build it for you.

As crowhop said, the hardware part really isn't that bad. Unless you're referencing a physical disability (at which point I can totally understand!) then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

I watched plenty of youtube tutorials until I understood what to do and not do and I was golden. During my build, the only two things that held me up were hilariously simple and I was just over-thinking things.

Update on the rig, which is in process and will be ready in about a week and a half.

i7 4790k unlocked, s1150, 4.0/4.4 GHz Quad Core, HT, 8M Cache, HD 4600 Graphics
GTX970 STRIX 4GB - DC2, OC, PCI Express
ASUS Z97-A - ATX, s1150, 4-DDR3, SLI/CrossFireX, USB3.0, SATA Express, RAID. 8 Ch Audio
Windows 7 Pro w/ SP1, (64-bit)
Corsair Carbide 500R Gaming Chassis
Corsair CS750M Power Supply
Crucial MX100 256GB SSD - 2.5" 7mm SATAIII 6GB/s
Seagate 500GB 7200RPM SATA 600 16MB Cache
Noctua CPU Cooler NH-D15 multi-socket, 140mm fan
(2x) Crucial Ballistix Sport XT PC3-14900 8GB DDR3 1866MHZ Single Module
LG 24X DVD+RW - SATA, Black, OEM

I'll be running a CSR Wheel an CSR Elite Pedals.

Any advice on firmware for this wheel?

Thanks

for all USA friends of PCs and custom built machines, which websites or online stores would you, do you or could you use to custom build a PC? (reliable and quality stuff)

for all USA friends of PCs and custom built machines, which websites or online stores would you, do you or could you use to custom build a PC? (reliable and quality stuff)
Newegg, Tigerdirect, Amazon.
Most every day a different component is on sale on one of those sites.
It pays to join Newegg Premier while you build (free shipping, free returns if you have an issue).

hi everyone, I had asked for some suggestions and recommendations for the monitor? has anyone had some good experience for racing games that the monitor can keep up with? not sure here, but maybe a newbie question :)

hi everyone, I had asked for some suggestions and recommendations for the monitor? has anyone had some good experience for racing games that the monitor can keep up with? not sure here, but maybe a newbie question :)
Will your primary usage be online or offline? What size do you want?

This post is for someone who knows PSs and hardware. I m looking to building a budget PC for gaming. Here's my specs

Processor- AMD 5800k A75ma E35 Fm2 AMD 75
Video Graphics- MSI Radeon HD6450 2GB
Power Supply- Corsair Cx Series CX500 500w ATX 12V V2.3 80
Memory- Corsair XMS3 6GB 240 Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600MHZ
HDD- WD black series wd 1003F 2EX 1 TB 7200 RPM 64mb cache sata 6.0gb/s 3.5
Motherboard- MSI fm2 a75ma e35 fm2 amd a75

Okay that's it. Any help would be great. I'm on a little budget. I actually picked the hardware out myself. Let me know what You think

This post is for someone who knows PSs and hardware. I m looking to building a budget PC for gaming. Here's my specs

Okay that's it. Any help would be great. I'm on a little budget. I actually picked the hardware out myself. Let me know what You think

Judging by that build when you say little budget you ain't lying. What exactly is your budget and maybe a few us can try and work you up a good parts list. Don't forget ebay and craigslist is your frIend. Especially on a budget.

Don't you guys have small stores in the US that assemble all the components for free, if you buy all the components from them?
I was rich if i get 100$ for every pc i have assembled in my life... :)

How much do all these parts total out to be?

Hey All, I have been considering building a new computer again (haven't built one in 9-10 years) and while I should be fine getting the hardware, I have a question about the OS. Does anyone know if linux can run PCARS? I would rather not buy Windows.

There is no Linux Version of Project CARS.

EDIT: Ah, forgot about the Steam OS version, my bad :-)

Last edited:
Hey All, I have been considering building a new computer again (haven't built one in 9-10 years) and while I should be fine getting the hardware, I have a question about the OS. Does anyone know if linux can run PCARS? I would rather not buy Windows.
You could use SteamOS which is currently in Beta and is based on Debian 7.

I have a friend who plays some Windows games on Linux but he told me it is a pain in the arse to get the GPU working properly and most of the games doesn't look that good as in windows mainly because of lack of drivers

Keep in mind, that the SteamOS version will also come later this year:

"Wii U and Steam OS versions then follow in 2015"

I would go with dualboot Linux/Windows until SteamOS is out.
Yes, depends on when he is going to build computer but a cheap way to minimise the wait if built soon would be to use Windows 10 Technical Preview for free until SteamOS is out. Who knows, might get Windows 10 for free when it releases.

Back