Project CARS Revolution is "200% Better Already" Than Project CARS 2

It's hardly BS, the problem is yours.
I play online all the time with many other people and I've never seen or heard about any problems.

No, it's not just their's problem. I experience disconnects almost never in GTS. In PC2 they happen pretty frequently and mostly in the lobby.

I am 100% (or maybe the appropriate phrase to use is 200%?) behind this idea! I would love to see a return to a Shift-like career mode. I didn't play Shift 2, but even the first game has the sort of campaign mode I'm looking for.

From my perspective, linear progression and upgradable cars are a must for the next game if it is to live up to bringing "fun" back into sim racing.

I want both. Access to the full sandbox of tracks and standard cars in custom races, but linear progression and upgradeable cars within the single player campaign. You also should be able to use your upgraded cars in specified online races. Please Ian, make it so

Imagine how difficult it must be to make a game that suits everyone if the few people here already have such different ideas.

This is why I agree to have a career design based on progression, although I still believe the current design could be a strong base for that.

Next to that I'd love to see the custom championships and races with everything accessible for those that don't want to grind or don't enjoy the career mode. A gamer with a bit of discipline could create a GT4 championship and promote himself to GT3 championship if his results are sufficient.

I'm a little scared though that if SMS puts a lot of work in a new career they skip the custom championships to ensure people playing the career. But this is merely based on the reasons given why it's not in PC2

Two years ago...
I've only been playing with controller for some months. It's reached the stage that I can't find anything to suggest to the team to improve it further 'without overly intrusive filtering' and I think that's where it should be IMO. I can categorically say it's much much more controllable, intuitive and enjoyable than it was in pCARS1.

There are no 'fake' input filters beyond some opposite lock help where we'll put you roughly in the right window of lock when you counter steer to catch an oversteer moment.

It looks like Alan is on that same E3 build where I now have my doubts that everything was tuned as it should be.

Yesterday...
Valid point here. We've never ever nailed controller input properly. We have now. The guys we got onboard from Evolution studios/Codemasters have been instrumental in getting this area nailed. Nailed to perfection in my pessimistic opinion :)

👍

I want both. Access to the full sandbox of tracks and standard cars in custom races, but linear progression and upgradeable cars within the single player campaign. You also should be able to use your upgraded cars in specified online races. Please Ian, make it so

I can't complain with that, the sandbox option should be there for those who want it. 👍

What wouldn't be ideal is if both career and single player modes become sandbox modes again, I'd prefer one to have an entirely different play style to the other. For instance, career mode should require you to obtain currency to purchase vehicles and upgrades.

@IanBell is it possible to consider a game without being able to adjust the feedback force. We are talking about simulation, and at the same time, everyone is having fun reducing the forces. When I buy a vehicle, I do not ask the mechanic to reduce the strength of my steering wheel. Having the same thing, makes everyone equal.
That would cause accessibility issues. There are plenty of people out there who race with a force feedback wheel but need lower settings in order to play comfortably and safely. Also, apart from some direct drive wheels there is not a consumer level wheel on the planet that can provide the force of a go-kart for example.

I've simply had it with all the hate for PC2 and Ian

This attempt to shame Ian is pitiful. I don't know if it's because of Internet anonymity but people have turned so mean with no reason. Maybe there are just a lot of unhappy people in this world.

At the time of the first quote, he likely felt like they had done the best they could do with the controller.

Over time, and with new technology and development methods, he now sees that there's even more improvement to be made, and he's excited because he feels like he's accomplished that.

Nothing wrong with that, at least, in my opinion.

I'm not trying to call you out specifically, Outspacer. I just happened to use your post as an example.

Why would Ian want to come here and share things with us if he's going to be subject to Internet hate?

Certainly, we can find a way that is mature and polished and articulate, and NOT hateful, in order to explain to Ian some of the things we've disliked in the previous game and hope will be fixed

There's enough anger and rudeness in the world.

End of rant. I apologize if it comes off too strong.

Two years ago...

Yesterday...

👍

This attempt to shame Ian is pitiful. I don't know if it's because of Internet anonymity but people have turned so mean with no reason. Maybe there are just a lot of unhappy people in this world.

At the time of the first quote, he likely felt like they had done the best they could do with the controller.

Over time, and with new technology and development methods, he now sees that there's even more improvement to be made, and he's excited because he feels like he's accomplished that.

I'm not trying to call you out specifically, Outspacer. I just happened to use your post as an example.

Why would Ian want to come here and share things with us if he's going to be subject to Internet hate?

Certainly, we can find a way that is mature and polished and articulate, and NOT hateful, in order to explain to Ian some of the things we've disliked in the previous game and hope will be fixed

Thank you slthree. The points I made years ago, that were referenced were clear. PC2 input WAS much better than PC1 and my point was that I couldn't find or suggest a way to improve it further to the team. That still stands absolutely, and I stand by it. But the team and particularly some of the new staff are much better at this than I could ever be. It's massively improved. You'll see :)

Thank you slthree. The points I made years ago, that were referenced were clear. PC2 input WAS much better than PC1 and my point was that I couldn't find or suggest a way to improve it further to the team. That still stands absolutely, and I stand by it. But the team and particularly some of the new staff are much better at this than I could ever be. It's massively improved. You'll see :)
Have you managed to balance ease of joypad use with not giving joypad players advantages over wheel users?

Two questions.

If you released a Project CARS 2: Remastered on the next-gen consoles, what would be your predictions for the quantity of AI we'd be able to have with the current model?

Also, what changes are you expecting to be able to make to the AI to improve them and what AI numbers would you expect in this regard?

Actually, third question, why do the pitlanes at Catalunya and Nurburgring to start at the wall at the final corner as opposed to real life where they're nearer the pit boxes?

@IanBell

Thank you for taking time to visit the thread.

One item , ( maybe 2) or pet peeve almost every racer has faced at one time or another, the inability to mute a person or group of people once you have entered the room. Please, add mute option so we may enjoy ourself's 200% more. Your thoughts?

The other option which I feel every racer at one time or another wish they had , is the option to kick . How much better would the game be if you could rid yourself of the players who insists on crashing every person in the field?

Well yeah, that does come off a bit strong!! There's no hate in my post, and I'm certainly not taking any responsibilty for anyone elses posts. It's a mild dig, sure, but more at the sales pitch than at Ian himself. Like there's an ad for new improved washing powder, when years ago it already supposedly got your whites whiter than white!

So the point is. The team are better than I am.

Apart from the above, a trigger was your own down-grade of PC2's controller handling in yesterday's post: "We've never ever nailed controller input properly". I thought PC2 controller handling was pretty good, appropriate for the game, and didn't really take much tweaking to get it how I liked it. Loved Driveclub with controller too, but obviously a very different game! It's something that no matter what you come up with, you'll face criticism from some quarter - so IMO it cannot be nailed ;)

Imo the controller settings are pretty decent, I prefer them to likes of Assetto and RFactor and Raceroom, I do like the sounds of some former Codemasters guys being around to help this out though, I do like the feel of the controller on Dirt Rally a lot

PC1 was a fun experiment with some good sound, lighting and tracks. PC2 let down that whole future formula by making it feel incredibly "samey" and then UTTERLY BORING beyond believe, with no sense of progression, nothing to do other than race on tracks in a sandbox style mode, worse sound in some cases (better in others), no proper career mode, worst of all, no upgrading vehicles or visual upgrades it felt again like a complete waste. But what do i know, everyone loved it, right...?

I just want another Need for Speed: Shift. Shift 2 Unleashed was fantastic, imagine that with the current physics? I'd dig another game that detailed with it's car building up and many more racing disciplines.
I agree about everything there. No upgrading vehicles is really a must for me that like to customize cars and stuff

That's because Kaz has built up a very dedicated and loyal fanbase over the years. Of course some are going to take his words like gospel! :P

Project Cars is a bit more recent and has a smaller fanbase so you're going to see more critics outweighing the fanboys.

Fixed that for you.

For your information, it has to do with the fact that it kicks me out of ANY lobby within the first few minutes of joining, and before you have some defensive comment about "look at your internet speed, because it's you," my internet speed is 40 down, 20 up. That's faster than it used to be, and I STILL get disconnected within minutes of joining, in any lobby hosted by whoever.
Right. So in the end it is not SMS fault. I guess 40/20 just isn't good enough.

'Three' is a revolution on pads. I'm not exaggerating. Even my wife agrees.
Edit, and she's never wrong, she told me to say.

@IanBell : sorry but Already read this for project cars 2 ; biggest improvement in gamepad.

In my experience, I am a player of project cars 1 and 2, i have no grip sensation in gamepad.
so yes, you implemented an update (better control with cars than pcars1) for gamepad but no feeling no sensation than 1.

For me, in gamepad, sensation are : like car is not sticky in ground (no real grip) and car is not heavy.
if i play with wheel (fanatec test), car is heavy, grip is good (with good FFB settings).
Today, after two years, sadly ACC have these points - sensations are good, grip is here, heavy car.

i recommend to implement in vibration controller (xbox-one and other),
for example
- Add vibration in two sticks (brake and accelerate like in last tomb raider game) and in body (left, right).
With this addon, we have feeling on each wheel (loss of grip, bumpers, etc).

Last edited:
As a gamepad player, I had problems controlling cars in PC1, but much less so in PC2 (depending on the vehicle). Still love PC2 (PC), still can't get enough of it, and I can't wait for the sequel. Hopefully we'll get a teaser or trailer some time this year.

Right. So in the end it is not SMS fault. I guess 40/20 just isn't good enough.
Then explain how my internet speed, which is quite a bit faster than a few others I League race with, doesn’t allow me to play online for a period of time over 10 minutes give or take in any lobby, while at the same time, allowing the others to enjoy the lobby mode for hours on end?

Pro mode: Don’t use the reason “It’s you, not SMS.”

Then explain how my internet speed, which is quite a bit faster than a few others I League race with, doesn’t allow me to play online for a period of time over 10 minutes give or take in any lobby, while at the same time, allowing the others to enjoy the lobby mode for hours on end?

Pro mode: Don’t use the reason “It’s you, not SMS.”
Did you read what I first posted. It is "you" and the other people in the room. If you go to a lobby and there is 9 people with all red crap internet and your internet is low,this will happen. If your ping rate is crap guess what. Disco. So please stop its SMS's fault. I run on Bell fiber optic. My internet is smoking fast. My ping rate is around 20 to 25. That's why I host. Every night. Same 12 to 15 people. When we practice or qualify we check each others ping rate above their car. If it is over 100 we ask them to leave. So if you want to join my lobby feel free to look me up. I will be online in 30 minutes.Did you read this and do a test?
https://www.bandwidthplace.com/the-importance-of-latency-in-online-gaming/

They say there's no such thing as bad publicity, but it's fascinating how pCars as a series is more often than not faced with bad publicity, despite having such a huge user base. If it really is as bad as people say, then why are so many playing it? :odd:

I came on board back when the original pCars showed up on WMD, and as an experienced endurance racer, I enjoyed giving my input on the subject - some were appreciated, others were not; but both were nevertheless considered. I wasn't a fan of how pCars 1 drove; and I don't like how pCars 2 drives either, so to claim that this new one will be twice as good is not making me skeptical, because I can definitely see the room for improvement is there and the talent behind SMS - now more than ever - is at a very, very high caliber.

Nitpicking someone's way of marketing the game is a bit crude, as every new iteration will most likely be the best iteration; for that time, until a better iteration is developed. The lads over at SMS are great (we've met at a few races) and I'm glad that they aren't giving up on this niche little market of ours when they could be spending half the effort banking in mobile games and call it a day.

Excited to see what @IanBell and the mad lads have in store for the future of the series. Godspeed.

They say there's no such thing as bad publicity, but it's fascinating how pCars as a series is more often than not faced with bad publicity, despite having such a huge user base. If it really is as bad as people say, then why are so many playing it? :odd:

I think this is because IMO it has waaay more content and features and visual quality than any of the other sims. I have 2700 hours on it and still can not stop playing it. But the amount of big bugs and problems is also still immense and that also very often spoils the fun for me, having to deal with them day after day.

But I see no other sim team capable of producing something even closely as good as PCARS2 could have been, so I am very much hoping PCARS Revolution will indeed become exactly that. Maybe AMS2 will get close as it will be using the (refined I hope!) Madness engine, but I guess we cannot realistically expect to see a content amount close to that of PCARS.

Did you read what I first posted. It is "you" and the other people in the room. If you go to a lobby and there is 9 people with all red crap internet and your internet is low,this will happen. If your ping rate is crap guess what. Disco. So please stop its SMS's fault. I run on Bell fiber optic. My internet is smoking fast. My ping rate is around 20 to 25. That's why I host. Every night. Same 12 to 15 people. When we practice or qualify we check each others ping rate above their car. If it is over 100 we ask them to leave. So if you want to join my lobby feel free to look me up. I will be online in 30 minutes.Did you read this and do a test?
https://www.bandwidthplace.com/the-importance-of-latency-in-online-gaming/
Yeah. I don't have the issues either. I host races with people from around Europe and America. There are some people that have issues within those lobbies but they've openly admitted their internet connection is poor.

Back