Project CARS Revolution is "200% Better Already" Than Project CARS 2

And now I've looked at metacritic I've noticed the User score is 7.1 on PC, 6.1 on PS4 and 5.5 on Xbox One so may I ask what you plan to do differently in terms of consoles? Because it seems there's a sizeable gap between the console scores and the PC scores
While I enjoy reading the user reviews and their scores you have to remember that they're exaggerated - especially the negative ones with 0 point scores. A good laugh but hyperbolic AF.

I'm not sure about hundreds, according to what I've looked at the critics reviews number 91 across all platforms on metacritic. Unless of course I am misunderstanding something.

And now I've looked at metacritic I've noticed the User score is 7.1 on PC, 6.1 on PS4 and 5.5 on Xbox One so may I ask what you plan to do differently in terms of consoles? Because it seems there's a sizeable gap between the console scores and the PC scores

They use hundreds and post a subset... I just knew someone would pull on this :) In their internal analysis they weight each review based on what they think is the 'import' of the media outlet in question. You might be counting the actual published 'written reviews' as opposed to all they they consider 'below the published surface'. So yes, hundreds, across PC and PS4, both with an 84% meta...

They use hundreds and post a subset... I just knew someone would pull on this :)

Ah I looked at the 'based on x reviews' numbers, my mistake.

MXH
While I enjoy reading the user reviews and their scores you have to remember that they're exaggerated - especially the negative ones with 0 point scores. A good laugh but hyperbolic AF.

Aye that is true people do seem rather extremist when it comes to their rating of games. However, there is certainly a peceived gap between console and PC so I am curious how SMS plans to adress this.

Hopefully they will only release it when it's finished. That's all pc3 needs. I'm not interested in Ian Bell hype. How many times must people listen to this guy? 200% better. Lol arbitrary figure pulled out of where to sun don't shine.

Btw does this mean pc2 wasn't perfect as was continually insinuated? Hmm...

I have zero intention of a pre-order. Not making that mistake again!
If that is your intention what was the point of posting it here ?

Real-life racing series don't have upgrading vehicles or visual upgrades either, so that's why pC2 doesn't have those. You cannot blame a game for not having something that it shouldn't have in the first place :)

Formula 1 teams continuously develop the aero and mechanical aspects of their cars over the course of a season, I'm pretty sure that is some form of performance and visual upgrade.

Hi Ian, interesting information regarding modern pick and their investment into SMS. Are the projects they mention on their website as working titles actually the game you mention here: Project Cars Revolution?

http://www.modernpick.com/

Sounds like a fab deal by the way :) congratulations

https://www.slightlymadstudios.com/...-acquisition-talks-with-slightly-mad-studios/

I'd just like to point out that I'm going nowhere for at least the next 10 years contractually.... Sorry :)

Formula 1 teams continuously develop the aero and mechanical aspects of their cars over the course of a season, I'm pretty sure that is some form of performance and visual upgrade.
But it's based on research and testing, not something you save money or earn points for until you have enough to afford it, which is what (visual) upgrades usually are in games. They're not guaranteed improvement stages ready to be deployed as soon as you have the credits.

What I could imagine, though, is that performance upgrades become available if your team is doing well (earning more money and with that being able to better develop performance improvements). But that would be only for series that allow such a thing, and it should be done with care to not make it feel like some NFS Nitro upgrade circus...

Can I say @IanBell your appearance's (and proclamations :) ) always liven up the PCars part of the forums. It had gone a bit dead around here recently. Keep on popping in occasionally, it adds a bit of energy to blow the cobwebs off the threads. Keeps the brand active to. ;)

And I don't suppose GTP minds the increased traffic!

Yes, but in the game the time of day didn't scale correctly.

Let's say you decided to run a 2.4 hours Le Mans (or 4.8 hours, 24 minutes, I didn't matter, it was broken). The passage of time should adjust so that you'd see the whole 24 hours transitions compressed in the interval that you selected for the race. On pCARS 2 that didn't happen because the scaling was wrong: you could see the nightfall two times on the same event that should simulate just 24 hours.

I played the game for the last time more than a year ago, but I remember it was so bad that you could see the day-night cycle more than two times on the same race.

I did just a quick search and, as you can see, more people noticed and complained. The issue appears to be "reported" and all we can hope is that time of day scaling is put-some-random-percentagem better than it was on the new game.

Huh? You can scale the time compression however you like. All you have to do is set it to the appropriate amount for the time you're running. 1x for a full time race, 2x for half, and so on. It's really not that complicated. :confused:

It does become a problem if you can't select your exact race length. For example, trying to do a 24 hour race in 24 minutes is not going to be exact because you can't select 24 minutes IIRC, instead you have to choose 20 or 25 minutes which at appropriate time compression means you're either getting an extra "hour" of time or losing 4.

Huh? You can scale the time compression however you like. All you have to do is set it to the appropriate amount for the time you're running. 1x for a full time race, 2x for half, and so on. It's really not that complicated. :confused:

It does become a problem if you can't select your exact race length. For example, trying to do a 24 hour race in 24 minutes is not going to be exact because you can't select 24 minutes IIRC, instead you have to choose 20 or 25 minutes which at appropriate time compression means you're either getting an extra "hour" of time or losing 4.

Again: It doesn't work.

Again: It doesn't work.
If I'm reading it correctly...
I think what you want to be added is a option to enter the start time and length of time required then be able to click a sync to race button. As opposed to the current time scaling options.

A bit like how the current weather option adjusts to the race length when synced.

The race without penalties quote, I hope I just misread that. This is not going to be dirt shodown phylosophy on what is expected to unwrap in a more serious racer regardless the hashtag #Fun right?, and what about the simulation heritage of pc2?, the level achieved on some categories with the tyre simulation specially street cars is the best in the scene. What about that too?, throwing it out of the windows because of the fun?, because if this in order to achieve a driveclub-like game with cool physics then oh yeah I'm all for that, but not for a dirt shodown with race cars.

Real-life racing series don't have upgrading vehicles or visual upgrades either, so that's why pC2 doesn't have those. You cannot blame a game for not having something that it shouldn't have in the first place :)
People upgrade/customize cars and drive them around circuits in real life. Either for track days, or for grassroots-level competition -- examples already included in PCARS2. Or simply to drive them on the open road or city streets, like the relevant circuits and point-to-points already included in PCARS2.

Seems plenty realistic and appropriate to me.

If I'm reading it correctly...
I think what you want to be added is a option to enter the start time and length of time required then be able to click a sync to race button. As opposed to the current time scaling options.

A bit like how the current weather option adjusts to the race length when synced.

As I said back when I started all this: I don't know if this was eventually fixed or not.

It doesn't need an option: the game could work out by itself the day-night cycle from whatever lenght you choose for the race. As GT5 and GT6 did with no drama.

@IanBell have you considered including British Short Oval Racing into the game e.g. Brisca, Hot Rods etc?

There's a pretty big audience who would flock to the game if this was introduced, and it would certainly fit the 'fun sim' you're aiming for.

I'm sure they wouldn't be expensive to license and many of the tracks could probably use some extra money. I'm sure the folks at Spedeworth, TrackStar or Startrax would appreciate being part of a big title like PCars.

Weird. It works for me.
I experienced the glitch @wowbaggerBR is talking about, but only in the Le Mans Experience invitational race, not with any other time acceleration I've done.

The passage of time was funky and erratic, and there were two sunsets and sunrises in the alleged (accelerated) 24 hours.

As I said back when I started all this: I don't know if this was eventually fixed or not.

It doesn't need an option: the game could work out by itself the day-night cycle from whatever length you choose for the race. As GT5 and GT6 did with no drama.

I don't recall GT5 or 6 doing that at all? GT5 only had 1:1 scale for the career races and GT6 didn't have any enduros. You could however set them up as custom races of any length you wanted and then adjust the time scale yourself from 1-30x I think. Nothing was done automatically from what I remember. The really important bit is that you could adjust in 1x increments. So if you wanted a 1-hour 24-hour race you set it to 24x.

In PC2 you can only use 1x-2x-5x-10x-20x. It may go farther but the lack of 3,4,6,7,8 et cetera makes getting the race you want more difficult. My best guess from what I observed in PC1 and have read about PC2(I haven't run a career enduro in PC2 yet) is that it automatically sets it to the closest one of those same options. So a 24 hour race that you set to take 8 hours might have to use 2x and end after 16 hours of game-time. Or a 6 hour real-time race might take 30 hours game-time if it jumps to 5x(or end before dawn if it stays 2x - I had that happen once in PC1 but not sure what length).

I've run some long custom races in PC2 and as far as I can tell the time-scale options do work correctly, there's just not enough of them. I've not confirmed if they're exact by a car with a clock in it but it seems right. If we could adjust in 1x increments then the game's auto-sync for career should work better too, even if it's not exactly 24 hours. Unless it's caused by something else.

I wish I had some direct observations of it happening in PC2 but I don't yet. I'm too slow at progressing through my career. All I have is memory of reading posts(some here on GTP) that it is still an issue. I just wanted to say something because it is an important issue to me, and it seemed to me that Ian appeared to possibly be misunderstanding the original comment about it.

Edit: I guess we only have the 1 24-hour race in PC2 career which is too bad(having them all in a row in PC1 was rough though). No big deal as I can run my own... as long as I don't want to run one between 5 and 12 hours in length.

Edit2: It sounds like something else may be going on in the new Le Mans race, I can't see how it would get 2 sunrises unless it's miles off. I checked the multipliers and it has 10-15-20-25-30-40. 2 sunsets is easy, but if you're getting sunrise twice I don't think it can have as simple an explanation. We still need our 1x increments for custom races though. :)

Last edited:
See it here and only here first, the first leaked image of Project Cars Revolution.
Screenshot (6).png

Kidding, I plucked this directly from Modern Pick LinkedIn. Congrats on the acquisition @IanBell !

200% percent better hey? Just make sure that there isn't a delay between my input and the game's output on a controller. Because at the moment, I can't recover a slide as the controller can't react fast enough. Lowering this input delay even further will ensure that I can be faster and more precise. I have to adjust the steering rack in pretty much every car to extract the most performance possible. Yes I know there's been a heap of improvement since the first game but it's not perfect.

200% percent better hey? Just make sure that there isn't a delay between my input and the game's output on a controller. Because at the moment, I can't recover a slide as the controller can't react fast enough. Lowering this input delay even further will ensure that I can be faster and more precise. I have to adjust the steering rack in pretty much every car to extract the most performance possible. Yes I know there's been a heap of improvement since the first game but it's not perfect.
There is no input delay, depending on your controller settings. You've created the delay with the settings you're using. If you nullify the Controller Damping and Speed Sensitivity settings, the steering will react faster than you ever wanted it to.

The problem is having to strike a compromise between settings that are not as flexible or useful as they are meant to be. There's exactly one "correct" setting for Speed Sensitivity (75) that allows for adequate oversteer control (across almost all car classes, interestingly enough), making the slider kind of useless. Except 75 is a bit sensitive for other purposes, so you need Controller Damping...except adding enough Controller Damping for smooth steering makes it too lethargic to recover oversteer. So I had to dial that down a bit and lower the axis linearity setting ("Steering Sensitivity") to compensate, which works pretty well.

What the next game needs is "smarter" steering that behaves as expected regardless of a player's preferred settings.

Aye that is true people do seem rather extremist when it comes to their rating of games. However, there is certainly a peceived gap between console and PC so I am curious how SMS plans to adress this.
Considering that the complaints usually are about the bugs, performance issues and the issues related to the controller settings, it should be fairly straight forward for SMS to adress it.

Back