Project CARS Revolution is "200% Better Already" Than Project CARS 2

Well, since I got this unexpected reply, I got to ask: is there at least a new batch of community events planned for pCARS? I mean, the first one? I ask because it so happens that I'm just the Community Ambassador trophy away form getting the platinum trophy :D (just four new events would do).

About the new game. I enjoyed pCARS2, but two huge let downs left me disappointed:

- I got the whole idea of simplifying the campaign so people can just jump in whatever they like. But I think you guys left it waaay too open so it lost the great sense of actual progression that the first game had. I missed that.

- I don't know if this was eventually fixed or not on pCARS2, but the time of day scalling on endurance races was so comically wrong that it ruined the endurance and multiclass racing for me, something that I really liked on both games. It got to the bizarre, really, like the night falling two times on the same Le Mans 24H.

On the first point, agreed it was too open.

On the second point. If you start and night, and end at night, you'll have two nights... We left that open also. Maybe too much so.

The second point is one that bothered me as well, and is not related to the start time of the race at all. The issue is that time does not scale the same as race length for most custom race lengths.

In the career in both games you can set the length of the race quite specifically as long as you want(this is a very very good thing, please don't ever force it to a few preset lengths), but you can't control the time scale. You shouldn't need to manually, that's not a problem. The game should adjust it to match the race length but it clearly only has a few settings for time scale -- meaning when you set your 24 hour race to take 5 hours it will start at 3pm and end at maybe 4am or at 9pm depending on what time setting is closest. That's just an example not math, but that's how it works in practice. If you run a 24 hour race that starts mid-afternoon and never see dawn, or see sunset twice... it's not a 24 hour race.

Custom races can be obviously be started at different times but also suffer from nowhere near specific enough settings for time scale. Meaning you have much fewer workable solutions to get both the race length and in-game-time that you want. 1x-2x-5x-10x-20x is just not detailed enough(I assume those are the same options career automatically chooses from). This affects any attempts at a longer race but is most obvious for 24 hour races.

If you run a 24 hour race that starts mid-afternoon and never see dawn, or see sunset twice... it's not a 24 hour race.
???????? What!!!!

Yes it is.

If you start at mid afternoon on Saturday & finish mid afternoon on Sunday then it's 24hrs, which ever way you look at it, with 1 sunset & 1 dawn (just like real life)

To get 2 sunsets & 2 dawns starting mid afternoon it would need to be 48hrs.

You could start at dawn & then finish at dawn with 1 sunset in between or start at sunset & finish at sunset with a dawn in between, its still 24hrs.

The only other way to get 2 sunsets & 2 dawns is to have a 36 hour race, start at dawn on day 1 & finish at sunset on day 2, or the other way around.

Last edited:
Has sound, in replays, improved on consoles? It's as though the engine and exhaust sounds drone on with each camera switch. It's very abrupt instead of fading up and then down in volume. Sounds like it's at a constant level. At least on XB1.

???????? What!!!!

Yes it is.

If you start at mid afternoon on Saturday & finish mid afternoon on Sunday then it's 24hrs, which ever way you look at it, with 1 sunset & 1 dawn (just like real life)

To get 2 sunsets & 2 dawns starting mid afternoon it would need to be 48hrs.

You could start at dawn & then finish at dawn with 1 sunset in between or start at sunset & finish at sunset with a dawn in between, its still 24hrs.

The only other way to get 2 sunsets & 2 dawns is to have a 36 hour race, start at dawn on day 1 & finish at sunset on day 2, or the other way around.

Yes, but in the game the time of day didn't scale correctly.

Let's say you decided to run a 2.4 hours Le Mans (or 4.8 hours, 24 minutes, I didn't matter, it was broken). The passage of time should adjust so that you'd see the whole 24 hours transitions compressed in the interval that you selected for the race. On pCARS 2 that didn't happen because the scaling was wrong: you could see the nightfall two times on the same event that should simulate just 24 hours.

I played the game for the last time more than a year ago, but I remember it was so bad that you could see the day-night cycle more than two times on the same race.

I did just a quick search and, as you can see, more people noticed and complained. The issue appears to be "reported" and all we can hope is that time of day scaling is put-some-random-percentagem better than it was on the new game.

Yes, but in the game the time of day didn't scale correctly.

Let's say you decided to run a 2.4 hours Le Mans (or 4.8 hours, 24 minutes, I didn't matter, it was broken). The passage of time should adjust so that you'd see the whole 24 hours transitions compressed in the interval that you selected for the race. On pCARS 2 that didn't happen because the scaling was wrong: you could see the nightfall two times on the same event that should simulate just 24 hours.

I played the game for the last time more than a year ago, but I remember it was so bad that you could see the day-night cycle more than two times on the same race.

I did just a quick search and, as you can see, more people noticed and complained. The issue appears to be "reported" and all we can hope is that time of day scaling is put-some-random-percentagem better than it was on the new game.

It sounds like the logic and equation was not properly incorporated...

That's the kind that of things that would happen when you don't have the correct development work flow and the list of requirements properly verified at each stage...

Either the resource back then was seriously lacking or the development time was extremely shorten, or even both...

It is no easy task to satisfy demanding gamers...
It would require a lot of funding...

It is unfortunate but I have to admit despite these sort of challenges, pC2 seems to be a great second iteration...

Let's see what the third iteration will be...

I’m on PS4 Pro and PC2 has some constant jitter or something. PC1 is immediately noticeably smoother.

I really hope this is addressed for Revolution.

Hopefully they will only release it when it's finished. That's all pc3 needs. I'm not interested in Ian Bell hype. How many times must people listen to this guy? 200% better. Lol arbitrary figure pulled out of where to sun don't shine.

Btw does this mean pc2 wasn't perfect as was continually insinuated? Hmm...

I have zero intention of a pre-order. Not making that mistake again!

Then explain how my internet speed, which is quite a bit faster than a few others I League race with, doesn’t allow me to play online for a period of time over 10 minutes give or take in any lobby, while at the same time, allowing the others to enjoy the lobby mode for hours on end?

Pro mode: Don’t use the reason “It’s you, not SMS.”
Project Cars 2 is in my experience more sensitive to the issues that cause disconnects than many other games - you can even get disconnected from your own lobby which is of course hosted on your own PlayStation.

However, in general the solution to disconnects is something that can only be achieved by the player experiencing the issue or by the host or a combination of the two. I have known many players with disconnect issues related to PC2 and all managed to get to a working position by one or more of the following changes.

1. Switching from wi-fi to ethernet.
2. Switching from wi-fi to powerline.
3. Switching from powerline to ethernet.
4. Replacing their network cables.
5. Factory resetting their router/modem and updating firmware.
6. Installing custom firmware on their router/modem.
7. Buying a new router/modem from a different manufacturer.
8. Putting their PS4 into a DMZ.
9. Changing their internet service provider.

Sms/wmd\Sony clearly didn't test on remote connections, only on LANs. This lack of real world testing imo has been the cause of the majority of pc2's issues. Blase. Worst qc ever.

Sms/wmd\Sony clearly didn't test on remote connections, only on LANs. This lack of real world testing imo has been the cause of the majority of pc2's issues. Blase. Worst qc ever.
Of course they tested over standard connections. There are problems that maybe they never managed to get 100% right but you can't make an allegation that no testing was done.

As for worse QC ever - if I started writing a list of games that released in poor shape I'd run out of ink before I got to Project Cars 2.

I seem to remember that console testing was handled by a third party, I believe I also remember Ian saying he wanted to handle console testing in house in the future

Hopefully they will only release it when it's finished. That's all pc3 needs. I'm not interested in Ian Bell hype. How many times must people listen to this guy? 200% better. Lol arbitrary figure pulled out of where to sun don't shine.

Btw does this mean pc2 wasn't perfect as was continually insinuated? Hmm...

I have zero intention of a pre-order. Not making that mistake again!

That's exactly what it was. Pulled out of nowhere and placed on Twitter with a chuckle... You don't need to 'listen to this guy' but I will continue to have fun.

It was fully tested on remote connections. We are running peer to peer though so that brings potential issues if the host is running into latency/ping/bandwidth problems. To mitigate that we have host migration which tends to work well. We are currently the biggest racing esport.

It was fully tested on remote connections. We are running peer to peer though so that brings potential issues if the host is running into latency/ping/bandwidth problems. To mitigate that we have host migration which tends to work well. We are currently the biggest racing esport.
Ian just forget even giving this guy your time.

If you're going to hype give something tangible - a feature or something. By picking an arbitrary figure that is purely a personal, and yet a heavily vested, opinion, you're setting yourself up for a fall (again) when consumers don't have that same opinion. By saying it's 200% better, then pc2 is also 200% worse than it could've been... of which pc2 was also heavily hyped. Crying wolf.

Many will buy that opinion, many won't and you'll only polarise public perception. I.e. as something that needs to be a saleable product to as many people as possible, arbitrary none-facts are self-defeating.

Can you see how this comes across to consumers?

Last edited:
It sounds like the logic and equation was not properly incorporated...

That's the kind that of things that would happen when you don't have the correct development work flow and the list of requirements properly verified at each stage...

That's the SMS way™.

It is unfortunate but I have to admit despite these sort of challenges, pC2 seems to be a great second iteration...

It's good. Not great, not awful, just good. And far better than the first one on multiple aspects in my opinion.

If you're going to hype give something tangible - a feature or something. By picking an arbitrary figure that is purely a personal, and yet a heavily vested, opinion, you're setting yourself up for a fall (again) when consumers don't have that same opinion. By saying it's 200% better, then pc2 is also 200% worse than it could've been... .

No it doesn't. Things move on. GTR2 was 200% better than GTR but that doesn't mean GTR wasn't groundbreaking.

Many will buy that opinion, many won't and you'll only polarise public perception. I.e. as something that needs to be a saleable product to as many people as possible, arbitrary none-facts are self-defeating.

I think most of us are intelligent enough to know its meant tongue in cheek.

If you're going to hype give something tangible - a feature or something. By picking an arbitrary figure that is purely a personal, and yet a heavily vested, opinion, you're setting yourself up for a fall (again) when consumers don't have that same opinion. By saying it's 200% better, then pc2 is also 200% worse than it could've been... of which pc2 was also heavily hyped. Crying wolf.

I'm sorry that I can't follow your orders. Everything is under NDA.

I can see how things come across 'to you' :) I'm sorry it's not what you want. Please feel free to ignore me.

I'm sorry that I can't follow your orders. Everything is under NDA.

I can see how things come across 'to you' :) I'm sorry it's not what you want. Please feel free to ignore me.

Who's giving orders? Just some free advice, seeing as you don't appear to be learning from experience. PC/pc2 doesn't garner much respect in the gaming industry from what i've seen of reviews.

Imagine if it did?

Who's giving orders? Just some free advice, seeing as you don't appear to be learning from experience. PC/pc2 doesn't garner much respect in the gaming industry from what i've seen of reviews.

Imagine if it did?

I apologise if my usage of 'orders' bothered you. We have an 84% metacritic average over hundreds of reviews. But all good.

Imagine if it did?
Oh please. You bought the game,joined leagues and complained like a broken record. Read your previous posts. This is getting ridiculous. The game isn't out. At least Ian responds to his games faults. Takes his lumps and moves on. No developer is perfect. Get that through your head. Go send Kaz an email. See what response you get.

I apologise if my usage of 'orders' bothered you. We have an 84% metacritic average over hundreds of reviews. But all good.

I'm not sure about hundreds, according to what I've looked at the critics reviews number 91 across all platforms on metacritic. Unless of course I am misunderstanding something.

And now I've looked at metacritic I've noticed the User score is 7.1 on PC, 6.1 on PS4 and 5.5 on Xbox One so may I ask what you plan to do differently in terms of consoles? Because it seems there's a sizeable gap between the console scores and the PC scores

Back