Project CARS Revolution is "200% Better Already" Than Project CARS 2

From what we know, I don't think the Madness game engine itself is a very moddable platform

Renato Simioni of Reiza tackled this question for us at RD in regards to AMS 2 development, he said the same thing. I wasn't real excited to hear this one of my all time favorite mods was the EEC GT3 for Automobilista.

I've only played PC1 and PC2 on console, are their PC versions better as far as FFB? Neither one on a console seemed to hold a candle to GT Sport, at least IMO.

Actually, "200% better" would actually be 3 times better, wouldnt it?

You can't count the original "time" as being better than itself. 3 can't come from 2.
We have the original and then another original on top of that making it 2 originals or two times.

It depends on whether Bell meant it had improved by 200% or improved to 200% compared to PC2, but yes it could be at least twice as good or at least three times as good.

@IanBell
I played Shift 1 & 2, and Project Cars 1 & 2.
Hope revolution will be a very very realistic game in control/drive/physic/light/cars/punctures environnement and more sensation game in all aspect (grip, rumble, speed feeling), more Fun, more ESPORTS !
I'll want to play a very very very realistic WEC and other championship experience like ever !

Better thing will be to have access to a beta (like WMD3).

Hope to not see just a next game like a NFS Shift 3

@IanBell
Hope revolution will be a very very realistic game in control/drive/physic/light/cars/punctures environnement and more sensation game in all aspect (grip, rumble, speed feeling), more Fun, more ESPORTS !
I'll want to play a very very very realistic WEC and other championship experience like ever !

You do realise that's the GT5 trailer.

Motorcycles (Be the first Sim. to have 2and 4 wheeled vehicles.)
Improve engine sounds
MORE vehicles
More oval tracks with road course variation
Road Atlanta
VIR
Get rid of off road and snow tracks
1000% better

200% percent better hey? Just make sure that there isn't a delay between my input and the game's output on a controller. Because at the moment, I can't recover a slide as the controller can't react fast enough. Lowering this input delay even further will ensure that I can be faster and more precise. I have to adjust the steering rack in pretty much every car to extract the most performance possible. Yes I know there's been a heap of improvement since the first game but it's not perfect.
if you play on a TV set, your problem could be the output lag to TV instead of the controller.

Why get rid of content? There are people that like and use them.

As long as the resources are there to implement them properly in the game more content is always better. Yes customer A might nog appreciate it, but customer B might. For me every road car under class C is worth very little, but I don't want them removed. Same goes for the point to point races.

@IanBell

Yes, it is Shift 3.

I've only played PC1 and PC2 on console, are their PC versions better as far as FFB? Neither one on a console seemed to hold a candle to GT Sport, at least IMO.
I would firstly say that if you think FFB is better in GT Sport them maybe (only a suggestion, not an accusation) you have played far more games like GT Sport than say PC2, rFactor, Assetto Corsa etc? The FFB model in my opinion is far richer and nuanced than GT Sport. The serious sims also have more complex physics than GTS and this can also be reflected in the FFB.

As for differences between console and PC. I have both. PC version is better (more stable, dedicated server, 32 player support etc) but those differences do not extend to FFB in my experience.

There is no input delay, depending on your controller settings. You've created the delay with the settings you're using. If you nullify the Controller Damping and Speed Sensitivity settings, the steering will react faster than you ever wanted it to.

The problem is having to strike a compromise between settings that are not as flexible or useful as they are meant to be. There's exactly one "correct" setting for Speed Sensitivity (75) that allows for adequate oversteer control (across almost all car classes, interestingly enough), making the slider kind of useless. Except 75 is a bit sensitive for other purposes, so you need Controller Damping...except adding enough Controller Damping for smooth steering makes it too lethargic to recover oversteer. So I had to dial that down a bit and lower the axis linearity setting ("Steering Sensitivity") to compensate, which works pretty well.

What the next game needs is "smarter" steering that behaves as expected regardless of a player's preferred settings.
I've dialed the sensitivity waaaay back to about 7 just to keep the car on the road. If I increase that sensitivity, I cannot drive the car. However that was when I started playing the game, and before I discovered the steering rack in the tuning options. I should probably bump up the sensitivity but I'll probably need to change the game options further, in addition to my setups. The issue with increasing sensitivity is that when you get loose in the middle of a corner and you try to correct, the game may react too quickly and cause you to shoot off in the opposite direction. That's what screwed me over in the first game so I made sure that the steering wasn't overly sensitive in Project Cars 2. But I should go back to the drawing board in order to remedy the input lag issue if it's possible to do so.

if you play on a TV set, your problem could be the output lag to TV instead of the controller.
I don't really think that would cause much of a problem.

...The issue with increasing sensitivity is that when you get loose in the middle of a corner and you try to correct, the game may react too quickly and cause you to shoot off in the opposite direction. That's what screwed me over in the first game so I made sure that the steering wasn't overly sensitive in Project Cars 2. But I should go back to the drawing board in order to remedy the input lag issue if it's possible to do so.
You are more likely to overcorrect a slide if Speed Sensitivity is below 75. You may not being able to correct a slide if Speed Sensitivity is above 75. The setting affects the maximum lock for countersteer, even though that isn't really related to its intended function, and 75 is the tipping point between too little and too much. Strange, right?

Because of this, you simply cannot dampen the steering as much as a game like Forza without giving up oversteer control, so PCARS2 more or less requires a relatively delicate touch, if you want full control -- but it can be tamed enough to allow small steering inputs and corrections with casual flicks of the analog stick, to a degree.

I don't really think that would cause much of a problem.
I'm pretty sure it's the game and not your TV, but input latency can be a significant issue.

You are more likely to overcorrect a slide if Speed Sensitivity is below 75. You may not being able to correct a slide if Speed Sensitivity is above 75. The setting affects the maximum lock for countersteer, even though that isn't really related to its intended function, and 75 is the tipping point between too little and too much. Strange, right?

Because of this, you simply cannot dampen the steering as much as a game like Forza without giving up oversteer control, so PCARS2 more or less requires a relatively delicate touch, if you want full control -- but it can be tamed enough to allow small steering inputs and corrections with casual flicks of the analog stick, to a degree.

I'm pretty sure it's the game and not your TV, but input latency can be a significant issue.
I don't even know what my speed sensitivity settings are but I'd rather not correct a slide than overcorrect, as that can have dire consequences. I'd rather just bin it and keep going instead of shooting off. Most people tell me I'm very good for a controller user and yes, it means that you have to be really careful about your inputs. Thankfully, after 13 years of using a controller I understand this greatly. I'm always finding ways to improve the feeling of the car, hence why I do heaps of testing. Not bad considering my disability. My TV definitely isn't the problem; it's only 2 months old:lol:

I would firstly say that if you think FFB is better in GT Sport them maybe (only a suggestion, not an accusation) you have played far more games like GT Sport than say PC2, rFactor, Assetto Corsa etc? The FFB model in my opinion is far richer and nuanced than GT Sport. The serious sims also have more complex physics than GTS and this can also be reflected in the FFB.

As for differences between console and PC. I have both. PC version is better (more stable, dedicated server, 32 player support etc) but those differences do not extend to FFB in my experience.

I had Project Cars and PC2 before any of the others because it was first to PS4. I thought its was fine until I tried the others. rFactor wasn't terrible but I didn't play it for long. Assetto Corsa was OK, but was a little too active with the road feedback, and had a weird understeer feedback. The physics were good, but I'd call them a little exaggerated. PC2's FFB is just very vague, but most of all, I don't like the slip indication (its onset is too quick and abrupt). I have noticed that the more I play it, the more I just accepted it, but as soon as I get on GT Sport I again realize how far behind in communication PC2 is. The FFB on GT Sport is clear, communicative, and very direct. No muddy road feedback like the other two. GT Sport may give you a little too clear of a feedback signal as the road feedback may be a filtered too much, but that's not all bad. GT Sport's physics are very predictable and do everything I expect, but I would say AC and PC2 have a little more advanced physics model even if I prefer GT Sport's. NOTE: This is all based on the console version.

Maybe the main problem is I simply didn't dive deep enough in to Project Cars' FFB settings. Admittedly, I haven't gone through them all.

That said, I will give the new Project Cars a fair shake when its available because it has a some great real tracks, a very robust physics model and a loyal base of users.

Last edited:
My TV definitely isn't the problem; it's only 2 months old:lol:
When the TV was made is pretty much irrelevant. It's caused by image post-processing on modern TVs and some other factors. "Game mode" was added to TVs to reduce the problem. Computer monitors are generally better. CRTs are the best for latency.

An older console hooked to a CRT with wired controllers, no OS in the background once the game boots, etc. is virtually latency-free. One can tell from game design practices over the years that near-zero latency used to be taken for granted, and that it isn't anymore.

@IanBell Hi Ian i have two quick question for you, is that possible to have more racing series in PC3 like WTCR, DTM, V8 Supercars, IndyCar, Super GT, Formula E or Stock Cars Brazil for instance ?

And are we gonna have some proper custom driving profile like helmet design, race suit design, pick our own racing number ?

Thank you Ian.

@IanBell Hi Ian i have two quick question for you, is that possible to have more racing series in PC3 like WTCR, DTM, V8 Supercars, IndyCar, Super GT, Formula E or Stock Cars Brazil for instance ?

And are we gonna have some proper custom driving profile like helmet design, race suit design, pick our own racing number ?

Thank you Ian.
The only answer you'll get at this time is "it depends on licensing" because NDAs and stuff may not be finalised yet and maybe pointing out a series he likes.

Raceroom have the WTCR license. Not sure if they have the DTM license seeing as they've not said anything about that yet.

Raceroom have the WTCR license. Not sure if they have the DTM license seeing as they've not said anything about that yet.

Was 2016 the last DTM season released on Raceroom? Not sure they still hold that license tbh. But we haven't seen DTM festure in any other game since then so there must be somthing going on with them. I wouldn't be surprised to see them announce an official game soom.

Was 2016 the last DTM season released on Raceroom? Not sure they still hold that license tbh. But we haven't seen DTM festure in any other game since then so there must be somthing going on with them. I wouldn't be surprised to see them announce an official game soom.
Wow. Yeah. I've just realised that. I thought it was later than that.

You can't count the original "time" as being better than itself. 3 can't come from 2.
We have the original and then another original on top of that making it 2 originals or two times.
Ooh, I love semantics :)

IMO, "200% better" means the same as "2 times better", which is the same as "3 times as good as". "Better" basically means "on top of", at least in my interpretation. "100% better" is not the same as "as good as", because it's better, a whole 100% better. It means the original plus once more the original, i.e. twice as good as the original.
So "200% better" means 100% + 200% = 300%, so 3 times as good as the original :)

Ooh, I love semantics :)

IMO, "200% better" means the same as "2 times better", which is the same as "3 times as good as". "Better" basically means "on top of", at least in my interpretation. "100% better" is not the same as "as good as", because it's better, a whole 100% better. It means the original plus once more the original, i.e. twice as good as the original.
So "200% better" means 100% + 200% = 300%, so 3 times as good as the original :)

I'm picking up what you're laying down here.

It's ridiculous to try analyze the "200% times better" quote. He's saying pcr is a lot more" fun" than the previous iterations probably because the simulation level found in pc2 might have got lessened to some certain extent, favouring more straight forward racing action. This is why the adjective "fun" can be so subjective, as many folks find same fun or more in simulators like pc2 rather than in simcades , which is probably the road pcr is going down as we interpret Mr. Bell's few quotes on the new game.

He might be also referring to the possibility that they have finally developed proper controller handling, which should unquestionably help opening project cars to everyone that likes simcade racing.

Here's hoping they have found a good balance between arcady handling and pc2 tyre simulation, and if the game is finally playable on a controller then that will also look good in everyone's eyes.

Just release the game in a decent status.

Back