Project CARS | What version do you plan to get?

• Thread starter Com Fox
  • 373 comments

What version do you plan to get?

• PC

Votes: 142 27.9%
  • PS4

Votes: 318 62.5%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 40 7.9%
  • Wii U

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • All of the above

Votes: 2 0.4%

• Total voters
PC vs PS4 graphics comparison

PS4 version is pretty close to PC but the obvious difference is the reflection and shadow. I know PS4 is still not comparable to PC when the full fledge of other elements like rays, water reflections/refractions and the amount of cars on the grid, etc. For most of us less hardcore SIM racers, I think PS4 versions looks very good if you ask me. Most of this graphic details won't be obvious while you're driving anyway.

If I haven't upgraded my PC, I would be very happy to be playing the PS4 version.

PC vs PS4 graphics comparison

PS4 version is pretty close to PC but the obvious difference is the reflection and shadow. I know PS4 is still not comparable to PC when the full fledge of other elements like rays, water reflections/refractions and the amount of cars on the grid, etc. For most of us less hardcore SIM racers, I think PS4 versions looks very good if you ask me. Most of this graphic details won't be obvious while you're driving anyway.

If I haven't upgraded my PC, I would be very happy to be playing the PS4 version.

ya same here, i wanted ps4 version but sony sadly forced me to build a pc as they less then two months away have not supported fanatec clubsport wheels or any other wheel ecept thrustmaster.

ya same here, i wanted ps4 version but sony sadly forced me to build a pc as they less then two months away have not supported fanatec clubsport wheels or any other wheel ecept thrustmaster.

I thought all those manufacturers needs to do to is pay a licensing fee, develop drivers for PS4 and make sure games support it? Why is everyone still blaming Sony/Microsoft not supporting their wheel and assume that Thrustermaster has exclusive deals? Anyway this is old story reported and explained numerous times in 2014.

I thought all those manufacturers needs to do to is pay a licensing fee, develop drivers for PS4 and make sure games support it? Why is everyone still blaming Sony/Microsoft not supporting their wheel and assume that Thrustermaster has exclusive deals? Anyway this is old story reported and explained numerous times in 2014.
The TM exclusive is only guesswork at this point, but I don't see where Logitech would have any incentive to dedicate resources to developing PS4 drivers when they've clearly stated they aren't in the console peripheral market anymore. So if you were Sony, would you leave hundreds of thousands of users out in the cold who bought peripherals for your gaming platform and supported you by buying the console and numerous games by not throwing out a lifeline to TM, Fanatec, Logitech etc.? I think Sony is really missing an opportunity here by leaving this niche segment of the market unmanaged. They'd be better off ensuring all past and future wheels worked with the games simply because they'll sell more consoles and games and because they aren't in the wheel business.

The TM exclusive is only guesswork at this point, but I don't see where Logitech would have any incentive to dedicate resources to developing PS4 drivers when they've clearly stated they aren't in the console peripheral market anymore. So if you were Sony, would you leave hundreds of thousands of users out in the cold who bought peripherals for your gaming platform and supported you by buying the console and numerous games by not throwing out a lifeline to TM, Fanatec, Logitech etc.? I think Sony is really missing an opportunity here by leaving this niche segment of the market unmanaged. They'd be better off ensuring all past and future wheels worked with the games simply because they'll sell more consoles and games and because they aren't in the wheel business.

If I'm Sony, yes I will leave those users out in the cold who bought peripherals for PS1, PS2 & PS3. It makes not business sense to be sitting around making sure your partners pay the licensing fee and develop the drivers which will the also ensure another third-party game developer support it in their games. I'd rather blame it on the peripheral manufacturer for not ensuring or coming up with alternatives to make sure their device works on the new consoles. Besides, Fanatec and Logitech never license their products with Sony so their wheels are never officially supported by Sony or PS3 with the exception of DFGT. Buyers should take note whether it's an official product they are buying before making the purchase in the first place. Consoles are closed platforms. Fanatec piggyback Logitech drivers which Logitech licensed the ffb drivers from another third-party (Immersion) only for PC which works on PS3 as well last I read from somewhere. As a result, DFGT not working on PS4 is because of Logitech's unwillingness to pay the licensing fee to their driver provider Immersion and Sony, which I'd give Logitech credit for making a perfectly sensible business decision, just not so good for the owners of their products.

The perception of Thrustmaster being exclusive makes no business sense either. They just obtained the proper license from Sony which covers off T500RS to be supported on PS4. Maybe the licensing fee with Sony is too expensive and as a result the profit margin per wheel for some smaller manufacturers like Fanatec becomes undesirable to have their old wheels like Porsche/CSR etc. supported on PS4. That's why Fanatec is still in negotiation with Sony and will most likely have a new wheel for this platform soon. To support old devices on new platforms when there are cost involved is bad business unless you can recover the cost from consumers who already paid for your product. And then if do charge owners to recover the cost for wheel support, owners will then cry foul thinking they are entitled this for free. Bla Bla Bla

Either way, old Logitech or Fanatec wheels will never be officially supported on PS4. End of story since 2014.

Last edited:
If I'm Sony, yes I will leave those users out in the cold who bought peripherals for PS1, PS2 & PS3. It makes not business sense to be sitting around making sure your partners pay the licensing fee and develop the drivers which will the also ensure another third-party game developer support it in their games. I'd rather blame it on the peripheral manufacturer for not ensuring or coming up with alternatives to make sure their device works on the new consoles...etc...
How is Sony better off leaving users out in the cold? I don't get the logic there.

How is Sony better off leaving users out in the cold? I don't get the logic there.
Not purposely leaving them out in the cold as I tried to explain. The point I was trying to make is the manufacturer is the one that needs to address the issue for the customers not Sony. And while we all think that there are a lot of us with a wheel on PS3/PS4 who buy a lot of racing games on Sony's platform, the fact is we're probably less than 5% of the total PS3 owners that have a Logitech/Fanatec wheels. Just a reminder that PS4 had only launched over a year and a bit, their sales have been already through the roof. And like I said previous post, completely blaming the whole licensing saga on Sony is unjust. I don't know but maybe the Guitar Hero/Rockband fans would be pissed off as well for Sony leaving their Guitars and drum kits behind. :lol:

If MS Win 10 comes out and Logitech/Fanatec decides not to create drivers on the new OS, whose fault is it?

Anyway, most of us like yourself my friend had probably moved on to PC for a brighter day especially when it comes to Sim racing where we have RF2, R3E, AC and soon Project Cars. If wheel compatibility is the main reason not to buy PS4, then don't buy it. Sony didn't make/license those wheels. Those wheels weren't even made for the PS3/PS4. At least consumers have a choice of platforms when it comes to Project Cars.

@ron24 Save the cash and go get a PC so that you can use your wheel and enjoy PCars in March ;)

Last edited:
Not purposely leaving them out in the cold as I tried to explain. The point I was trying to make is the manufacturer is the one that needs to address the issue for the customers not Sony. And while we all think that there are a lot of us with a wheel on PS3/PS4 who buy a lot of racing games on Sony's platform, the fact is we're probably less than 5% of the total PS3 owners that have a Logitech/Fanatec wheels. Just a reminder that PS4 had only launched over a year and a bit, their sales have been already through the roof. And like I said previous post, completely blaming the whole licensing saga on Sony is unjust. I don't know but maybe the Guitar Hero/Rockband fans would be pissed off as well for Sony leaving their Guitars and drum kits behind. :lol:

If MS Win 10 comes out and Logitech/Fanatec decides not to create drivers on the new OS, whose fault is it?

Anyway, most of us like yourself my friend had probably moved on to PC for a brighter day especially when it comes to Sim racing where we have RF2, R3E, AC and soon Project Cars. If wheel compatibility is the main reason not to buy PS4, then don't buy it. Sony didn't make/license those wheels. Those wheels weren't even made for the PS3/PS4. At least consumers have a choice of platforms when it comes to Project Cars.

@ron24 Save the cash and go get a PC so that you can use your wheel. and enjoy PCars in March ;)
You're looking at it from the perspective of who is to blame which I don't care about, I'm just looking at it purely from the profit perspective. Pissing off loyal customers is never a good idea, it leaves a bitter taste in their mouth. For every customer lost due to this wheel fiasco, Sony and the game devs are easily losing $1000 or more in console and game revenue. It only takes 1000 bitter customers switching to PC to save having to buy a new wheel to cost $1Million. 10, 000 customers = $10Million and so on. If you have a good quality Fanatec or Logitech G27, the cost of a good gaming PC is less than of the PS4 + T300 wheel + pedals + shifter so Sony is really making it easy to skip the next gen console and switch to PC. Add in that gaming online is free vs. paying an annual fee with Sony and it really adds up in favour of PC.

IMO it's typical, "can't see the forest for the trees" thinking on Sony's part, only looking at the big picture and not seeing the thousands of micro decisions costing them millions or tens of millions of dollars, not to mention lost customer loyalty in the sim racing community.

You're looking at it from the perspective of who is to blame which I don't care about, I'm just looking at it purely from the profit perspective. Pissing off loyal customers is never a good idea, it leaves a bitter taste in their mouth. For every customer lost due to this wheel fiasco, Sony and the game devs are easily losing $1000 or more in console and game revenue. It only takes 1000 bitter customers switching to PC to save having to buy a new wheel to cost $1Million. 10, 000 customers = $10Million and so on. If you have a good quality Fanatec or Logitech G27, the cost of a good gaming PC is less than of the PS4 + T300 wheel + pedals + shifter so Sony is really making it easy to skip the next gen console and switch to PC. Add in that gaming online is free vs. paying an annual fee with Sony and it really adds up in favour of PC.

IMO it's typical, "can't see the forest for the trees" thinking on Sony's part, only looking at the big picture and not seeing the thousands of micro decisions costing them millions or tens of millions of dollars, not to mention lost customer loyalty in the sim racing community.

Well maybe you're right and maybe Sony didn't and don't care as it takes a console and lots of games to generate close to $1000 profit (not revenue) in the lifetime of the console generation.

Talking about lost in revenue, what should Sony do? Pay Logitech and Fanatec to develop drivers so that less than 5% of PS3 owners might buy a PS4? Wouldn't that open up a can of worms for all other peripherals not to mentioned their own PS3 ones that are no longer supported on PS4? The other way around, Logitech/Fanatec paying to license old hardware on new platform instead of potentially making new products so that they get a bigger chunk of revenue?

There are more than a handful of exclusives on Playstation to convince me to buy a PS4 in the first place, even though PCars was one of the main reasons last year before I'd upgraded my PC and really started loving AC more and more after the delay.

At least we could agree on the fact, with decent wheel and racing games/sims is a priority, PC is still the better option rather than PS4. All you're missing out is DriveClub & GT7. All the other racing IPs are available on PC most of the time.

For other PS exclusives if money is tight, wait another year or so, PS4 price should steadily decline.

Last edited:
Yet another reason for me to skip an XBone, if I could simply build a Windows 10 PC someday and play Forza Horizon 3 on that.

Last edited:
The more I look around, the more a PC makes sense.

PS4: Project CARS & 'forced' T300RS - nothing else but Netflix/YouTube interest me (and I already have a PS3 for them)

PC: Project CARS/rFactor2/GSC/R3E/Steam-games & actual choices for a wheel, plus mods & other future uses.

I have to wait until I get my taxes back, and I've seen how the launch goes - but I just might be switching my vote.

Last edited:
Getting it for the ps4. Sadly it looks like I gotta get the physical copy instead of downloadable version from what I heard there won't be a digital version of this game when it release.:(

lets face it. i'm a big sony fan and i could be wrong. it could be fanatec don't want to pay there price for the licening fee or sony is charging way to much. anyway i was just posting why i went pc instead of ps4. i hate microsoft but fanatec signed with them so why not sony?

@ron24 Save the cash and go get a PC so that you can use your wheel and enjoy PCars in March ;)
ya your right on that looking back and thinking its a two way street. i did build a pc and love it thanks but i paid dearly.i have two ps4's and love them i and just unhappy i had to build a pc but thankful in a way. my wheel base is fanatec clubsport v2 and i'm looking forward to project cars and a few more. i'll just use the ps4 for games like nfs that don't need a wheel.

I dont know what version to get...Im on the fence with it and maybe someone can give me a push. I was planning on buying the XB1 version but I will be upgrading my Home Theater PC buy the end of the week with a i7-4770k and a GeForce GTX960 video card and was thinking that racing games will look good on my 55 inch TV (am I correct on this)

-I'm an Xbox One owner a have accumilated many friends on there (not all race) and Im sceptical of how racing online works (mods/communication with other racers on the field/recieving and sending invites to race)
-I am on Iracing but haven't been on in a long time(I wasnt impressed with the graphics) hoping my new upgrade will fix this
-I already own a TX wheel and buy the end of the month my Basherboard will be ready and I can use my Fanatec CS pedals (I miss my clutch and FFB brake) so I can go with XB or PC
-Besides the better looking graphics what other advantage is it on PC?

I know Im kinda all over the place with my post but Im sleep deprieved...any advice/oppinions will be well recieved
-

I dont know what version to get...Im on the fence with it and maybe someone can give me a push. I was planning on buying the XB1 version but I will be upgrading my Home Theater PC buy the end of the week with a i7-4770k and a GeForce GTX960 video card and was thinking that racing games will look good on my 55 inch TV (am I correct on this)

-I'm an Xbox One owner a have accumilated many friends on there (not all race) and Im sceptical of how racing online works (mods/communication with other racers on the field/recieving and sending invites to race)
-I am on Iracing but haven't been on in a long time(I wasnt impressed with the graphics) hoping my new upgrade will fix this
-I already own a TX wheel and buy the end of the month my Basherboard will be ready and I can use my Fanatec CS pedals (I miss my clutch and FFB brake) so I can go with XB or PC

I know Im kinda all over the place with my post but Im sleep deprieved...any advice/oppinions will be well recieved
-
The 960 is a good card and should let you run very high settings so it should look good on your 55" tv, assuming it's a good quality tv. IMO though you'd be far better off grabbing an i5 4690 and saving $100 and putting that same $100 into a GTX970 or if you want to keep the 960, get the i5 and save the $100. The i7 is dramatic overkill for the 960 card.

One of the huge advantages of PC gaming is other games beside Project Cars. iRacing, R3E, Assetto Corsa, Game Stock Car, RFactor, other sims, SpinTires, Wreckfest, Euro Truck Simulator and more, are all great, fun, driving and racing games you can't find on console. I play AC a lot and one of the bit things over there is modding. Dozens of tracks have been added to the game by the community all free of charge and a couple of dozen cars as well. All free although not all AAA quality for sure. I don't know about modding in Project Cars however, hopefully a member wanders in and can fill you in on that.

Although there are still clowns in open lobbies, I think the quality of driver is much better on PC. Not skillwise, but in terms of respect for each other and the desire to race clean. At least that's my experience so far. Gaming is also free on PC, no monthly fees like on console and often cheaper to begin with. Older games that are still good are often really cheap, like $10 or less on Steam.

Communication in PC games is via headset and third party software like TeamSpeak It's free and highly customizable and offers clear communication between drivers. Not sure if Project Cars has their own software on PC but I doubt it, no sense in recreating the wheel.

-

I'm a PS4 owner and am getting it on PS4. However if I had what you have and the budget to upgrade I would get the PC version with the pc upgrades @Johnnypenso suggested. It might be worth checking to make sure you would get no lag from driving on the PC and (edit) TV as it is before deciding? You could try the Game Stock Car Extreme demo to check. The resources needed to run it are really low so your existing pc might run it as is. It works extremely well on my 5 year old laptop with max graphics and 60fps.

Another sim to try that Johnny didn't mention is Formula Truck also made by Reiza Studios which is only 15 and now available on Steam. Game Stock Car Extreme is also going onto Steam shortly but google it and you can get the demo direct from their site..

Last edited:
One of the huge advantages of PC gaming is other games beside Project Cars. iRacing, R3E, Assetto Corsa, Game Stock Car, RFactor, other sims, SpinTires, Wreckfest, Euro Truck Simulator and more, are all great, fun, driving and racing games you can't find on console. I play AC a lot and one of the bit things over there is modding. Dozens of tracks have been added to the game by the community all free of charge and a couple of dozen cars as well. All free although not all AAA quality for sure. I don't know about modding in Project Cars however, hopefully a member wanders in and can fill you in on that.

Although there are still clowns in open lobbies, I think the quality of driver is much better on PC. Not skillwise, but in terms of respect for each other and the desire to race clean. At least that's my experience so far. Gaming is also free on PC, no monthly fees like on console and often cheaper to begin with. Older games that are still good are often really cheap, like $10 or less on Steam.

Communication in PC games is via headset and third party software like TeamSpeak It's free and highly customizable and offers clear communication between drivers. Not sure if Project Cars has their own software on PC but I doubt it, no sense in recreating the wheel.

This pretty much echoes my thoughts on the state of PC vs. Console, PC looks much more promising for the future, Strictly sim-racing or not.

I should have a 'parts list' up tonight that a friend suggested for what I want to play, but it's a bit over budget, I'll hopefully know if I can spend the extra difference this weekend.

a.k.a. to add AC to my gaming list or not :rolleyes:

The 960 is a good card and should let you run very high settings so it should look good on your 55" tv, assuming it's a good quality tv. IMO though you'd be far better off grabbing an i5 4690 and saving $100 and putting that same $100 into a GTX970 or if you want to keep the 960, get the i5 and save the $100. The i7 is dramatic overkill for the 960 card.

Thanks for the replies..I got the i7 on a VERY good deal so that is the reason I went with that...I have a very good quality TV and was hoping that I will be able to see an improvement over my PC now with the upgrades I am doing..Im kinda a stickler when it comes to "eye candy" which was the reason Im concerned about the modding that takes place in some of these PC games. PC gaming scares me in a way...I always hear of people cheating using hacks or mods and I hate to not be competitive WITHOUT modding or hacking. This is the main reason I like console gaming..everyone has the same machine. And also I am not PC savy and language like "overclocking" or "modding" freaks me out...My parts should arrive today and a friend of mine is going to put them in this weekend...

You mentioned "open lobbies"...do you have the ability to run a lobby on PC in games like Pcars or AC?? My brief Iracing history I wasnt able to find anything like that but Iracing is a little diffent animal...

WMD Senior member here. My PC sucks, although PCARS does run pretty well on PC, but that said I still want the PS4 version.

Thanks for the replies..I got the i7 on a VERY good deal so that is the reason I went with that...I have a very good quality TV and was hoping that I will be able to see an improvement over my PC now with the upgrades I am doing..Im kinda a stickler when it comes to "eye candy" which was the reason Im concerned about the modding that takes place in some of these PC games. PC gaming scares me in a way...I always hear of people cheating using hacks or mods and I hate to not be competitive WITHOUT modding or hacking. This is the main reason I like console gaming..everyone has the same machine. And also I am not PC savy and language like "overclocking" or "modding" freaks me out...My parts should arrive today and a friend of mine is going to put them in this weekend...

You mentioned "open lobbies"...do you have the ability to run a lobby on PC in games like Pcars or AC?? My brief Iracing history I wasnt able to find anything like that but Iracing is a little diffent animal...

If you don't want to bother with overclocking you don't need to. Many don't. Officially Project Cars is not designed to support modding. Of course some might try to hack it just like with GT5 and 6 but get a good online group of friends and you'll br fine whether it's on console or PC.

On PC sims modding is done mostly just to create more cars and tracks. On games where modding is easy it's as easy as unzipping a few files into a folder or two.

I was in pretty much the same boat as you before I made the leap to PC. I've only really played AC online so far and there's no sign of hacking or cheating that I can see. I think if you get into organized groups that's not really a concern. Anyone that goes to the trouble of setting up websites and renting server time isn't going to tolerate someone showing up at a race and being 3 seconds faster than known aliens. Same as on console, that person will be identified quickly and dealt with.

As far as "open lobbies" go, it's a little different on PC. Someone has to rent a server and then throw up some specs and limitations. In AC there are hundreds of them open all the time, but most are empty because they are set up for a specific series and no one is racing at that moment, but the room stays open. There are always a couple dozen or more lobbies open that are full or nearly full and you can join whenever you want so long as they aren't passworded.

Modding generally refers to additional content produced by individual gamers or groups of gamers. AC has dozens of tracks and cars, almost all free but as I understand it, it won't be this way in Project Cars. Some mods are good, some not so good, some are ripped off from other games, some are used with permission from other games or other modders, and some like the awesome Barbagallo and Luccaring are completely scratch built. In AC a couple of the cars were so good, they were incorporated into the base game.

The advantages to PC gaming are the freedom, variety, and quality of the gaming experience. Huge numbers of games, the freedom to add content or even make your own content is a huge bonus. Money aside, the main disadvantages I can see it's not always plug and play there is some troubleshooting sometimes. And that's the main advantage to console gaming, it's plug and play. Project Cars may be the first console game that offers a true sim driving experience and a true PC quality approach to sim racing. Once you drive cars with uncomprimising sim physics, detailed FFB, enveloping sound, a massive litany of adjustments and beautiful graphics, it's awfully hard to go back to Gran Turismo or Forza, the experience is that exciting and rewarding, IMO anyway. PCars would be the only reason for me to get into next gen console gaming and I've already went over to the darkside so it's a moot point now.:sly:

Last edited:
You [Ed: Jonnypenso, actually...] mentioned "open lobbies"......do you have the ability to run a lobby on PC in games like Pcars or AC??...
Yes, anybody can create a lobby, just like in the GT series. The lobbies can be open or password protected.

Edit: Johnnypenso has expanded the above posting to cover this - seems the meaning of "open lobby" here was dedicated server.

Last edited:
Thanx for the guidance....I did stop by my local Gamestop to reserve a copy...the funny thing is the guy behind the counter has never heard of Project Cars (and he is usualy very knowledgable)..Next week I will start messing around and get a Steam account going...I have so many questions (especialy about FPS with a TV, how to get more out of my PC) but they are not for this thread. Also a couple of you mentioned if I find some good racers to race with I will be fine...can you recommend a league/site???

I will be keeping a close eye on this game for PC though

Last edited:
PS4 version obviously. But not sure when I will buy the PS4 itself :lol:

What are you waiting for?????...lol:odd:

3LgQK.gif
:gtpflag:

Back