Project R

• Thread starter Mr Latte
  • 929 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
nice. how is gt5 in 3d?

anyway you pretty much bought everything one could imagine (except motion, but that is not your intention), so now stop procrastinating and assemble the darn thing

impatiently yours ;)

Trust me nobody wants this completed quicker than I do but it wont be done till its done... :)

I would say that having waited a long time to experience GT in 3D and with the anticipation I wasn't sure what to expect from reading varied but mixed reports.

This test was far from being in ideal settings and was only a quick hour or so on a bad condition storeroom wall.
After a few quick goes I ended up using a 3D depth of 7. Didn't alter the other setting as I have no idea what it does or if it is needed for my display. GT5 fails badly regards the 3D setup options. You would think their would be test screens for optimising the 3D without it being a trial and error requirement.

So how was it? With limited testing I wasn't sure how to put this. You expect to get the out of screen effects or that extended from the screen sensation with objects somewhere between you and the screen. At first the lack of this comes across as a disappointment. I kept expecting in some form or other this would happen but it didn't.

So I can understand now how many come away disappointed. GT5 does not use gasp n awe 3D out of the screen wowness. What it does do well but in a rather unspectacular way is give a good sense of cockpit realism. This varies from the carscockpits too. I havnt had enough testing with it but for example the GT5 Signature Edition NSX clearly has the steering wheel in front of the dash. The dials seem recessed, switches are noticeable as extending from the rest of the dash and the stems on the top of the dash stand out. It looks quite natural, adds a sense of realisim but doesnt give the user an "amazing new experience".

How it handles the 3D from this early test anyways, is in a mild but still clever way. Other cars you get a similar realism of depth yet to how close they are as you do also with apexs and some track objects. Cars spoilers stand out too and things have a sense of screen scale, again rather natural but it kinda seems like what it achieves is normal/lifelike and normal isnt well exciting if you know what I mean. The 3D seems to be all very understated in how it works but still to a degree impressive in its own way as to what it adds to over a flat 2D image. I get the impression however thier is something missing but when I do proper test on a proper screen this may improve things.

Further testing will give me a better idea but while it is enjoyable I did feel a little uninspired with it all. Part of the problem I believe is that while having experienced triple screens the 3D effect is not making its full potential from a single screens restricted FOV. I think if you had a wider FOV in cockpits in 3D it would also add to the effect as seeing what you see with triple screens is more natural than a single screen width and with more of the cockpit being shown the 3D effect would probably be increased in the realisim factor.

The projector does perform well though with no sign of dredded 3D crosstalk and the 120" is sweet if a bit too big at 6ft distance.
With such a big image the steering wheel alone is approx the size of a 50" HDTV.

NrTIe.jpg

More later.......

Last edited:
Idea of the GT750 size.
Very compact unit, can be easily transported and set up in 5 minutes.
Even has its own speakers like a TV.

3tXZV.jpg

Im, getting my 3D DLP Link glasses exchanged for two pair of the newer improved RF Type using "Bit Cauldron" technology.

The room the cockpit is going needs a stud wall put up to seperate all this gear away from the main store and stock. In giving it some thought I think Id be best to get the room flooring sorted for what will then be the room (approx 12x11ft) all this is going into before moving the cockpit platform to the required area as really their will be nowhere else for it to go soon with other work being done in the storeroom.

Im considering chequred flag/ black & white square vinyl.
6jP1o.jpg

Not sure if it would look cool and racey or a bit silly?

Last edited:
If anything else it will add 10 hp to your rig. :lol: I feel so spoiled right now, I want an Xbox wheel, and I haven't even had my wheel for more than three months.

LOL, sounds good crispy...

Yeah, seen one member on here with a nice VR3 rig that done a platform with the same kind of effect thought it looked quite nice.

Another New Purchase

The internet connection and router is an approx 40ft and several walls away from the room for the cockpit. With walls etc I cant get a signal wirelessly so going to give these a go.

I've got a couple of similar adapters myself, Mr L. They work flawlessly; well worth it 👍

Good stuff Mr. Latte, I'm always dropping in to check the progress on your project.

I'm not sure about that black and white chequred vinyl flooring, I think it would end up looking too "busy". I think if you went with a nice shade of grey to look like a paved road with maybe yellow or red/white boarders around the room... that way the rig would stand out more.

Mmmm like your way of thinking, though If I do that then I might need to hire a marshal or two to make it look more authentic.
Not sure what to do and as the base is approx 9x5 it would hide a good part of the vinyl/carpet that does get put down.

Mr Latte
Mmmm like your way of thinking, though If I do that then I might need to hire a marshal or two to make it look more authentic.
Not sure what to do and as the base is approx 9x5 it would hide a good part of the vinyl/carpet that does get put down.

No marshall needed, just build a pvc skeleton and dress him in a race suit/helmet ;)

Agree on the checker being to busy. But a nice dark grey indoor outdoor rug with a red/ white curbing painted on the driver/passenger sides of the room would look pretty sweet. Oh and green walls/ blue ceiling. Tie the room lighting to a photo sensitve switch aimed at the screen so the room dims with the day night cycle. You know you want to ;)

Some thoughts..

I've used those power over network devices all over my house (old stone building) and they work fine.. no issues to date with mine.

Thanks for the input I was underwhelmed with 3D mode on the 50" TV.
The 3D projector.. If you set Forza for a wider field of View in multiscreen options. does it compensate for the lack of width (given the projector screen will be bigger anyway)?

I was going to get the optima converter for my Projector but that was for Films.. how's the picture with proper film materials etc.. (sorry I know it's a bit off topic, perhaps a pm would have been better )

and never mind the marshall (they do a fine job), get a shop tailor dummy and dress it like the stig :)

Yeah I think to be honest the grey carpet might be a better idea.

I will come back with a proper report on the PJ with a screen and more on its quality although it should please most. For gaming it is probably one of the best projectors currently on the market for under 1K. I will wait to test with a screen and the new glasses that are due to be shipped to me.

Heres a different room at my business thats just been painted and I was having a go with FM4 demo tonight. 150" Autovista anyone?
Damn this is quite lifelike...

fDDIs.jpg

Sorry just an iphone photo. See the 6ft tube on the ceiling...

This will indeed look great on a PJ, something the triple screen experience cant offer.
About the FOV lets see what FM4 has in its settings but it will be limited I reckon.

Play, shipped those mains network thingys so should have them in a couple of days or so.

Last edited:
Hey mate, how is the progress going? It seems you did not like the 3D in GT5, thank god i did not buy a 3D TV and bought a larger 2D LED instead.

Btw, as a tech guy I recommend you a wire instead of anything else for your internet setup. This will minimize the latency if you plan playing online games and make your download speed more stable. Get a CAT6 cable (up to 100 meters no signal loss) and a Gigabit switch and you'll be happy.

My opinion on GT5 3D isnt certain until I try it out on a screen thats properly calibrated. I do predict however like the full game in some cars/tracks it will be really good but bland or normal in others.

It seems the whole game is based like premium/standard in a mixed bag kind of way. With some great things but others not really fully implemented as well as they could of been.

I think Microsoft / T10 really missed out on a great oppertunity with FM4 particulary autovista. That in 3D would of been fantastic.

* The consoles will be wired with the mains network plugs.
The cockpit will need work done to the room before it can be placed in that section of the building and before work continues. Their are other things happening regards the business storeroom that have only recently been decided which are needing done where it currently is sitting. So now I have to prep where it is going to be when finished first before doing anymore to it. Im doing 60-70hr weeks at present in the business and just shattered.

Patience I guess but its difficult as I have so many games I havnt properly played yet as holding off to the cockpit is done.

Right well some news.

The mains network plugs work a treat.
120" Motorised screen is ordered and should arrive in time for FM4.

I have brought to my shop, my Cobra seat (weighs a tonne with all the tactile and Gamepod/Buttkicker metal plate.) Also the monitors, PWTS wheel etc.

At least now I dont have a temporary setup at home and an ongoing one at my business. This will only force me to keep this project moving forward.

FM4 looks to be awesome and in particular the audio.
So Im keen to get the carpet soon to allow me to move the platform to where it has to go and get things moving again.

Will be posting a temporary setup of FM4 hopefully working in triple screens and also in 120" with the projector. I want to borrow a friends Kinect also to see if it is worth having with the game and if Kinect works also in multiscreens.

Will have the iphone 4s this week so its being bought for its new camera features and the airplay connectivity that will work well with this cockpit/entertainment setup. Eventually videos will be uploaded from the iphone if its 1080p recording is upto scratch.

Ive decided this project will be covered in several video tutorials in the future via Youtube and perhaps also on Facebook.

Last edited:
Simple really amf7, it wont annoy family or neighbours and all the equipment required needed 32Amp wiring which the shop has.

Basically its part of a storeroom thats being converted into my "fun entertainment" room. For me the whole project has evolved into the hardware, the cockpit and the room as well. Most people build a rig and then add the hardware to it, this is built around the hardware which is odd but thats the way its happened.

I dont discuss my business on the net but its only a small shop that I have ran for the last 5 years.

Ive no reason to take it home, I can be here in 10 mins when I ever take the desire to use it. Besides I often work 60+hrs a week. This is massive and tbh wouldnt fit at home.

The platform needs two people to lift/move it and is now very solid and heavy.
Platform alone is 9x5 FT and the cockpit will be approx 5FT high. I dont think people quite imagine how big it will be unless they see it.

It has been designed to be able to dismantle and transport it but thats quite an undertaking if it ever needs done.

Last edited:
Latte is keeping up the good work :) post some photos and videos please, can't wait to see the platform and the rig on it!

Well FM4 is released and here I am with a cockpit not ready and still loads to do...

However that doesnt stop me from putting up a temporary setup:
Multiscreens with Kinect head tracking no less, ooooooooooohhhhhhh!!!

r5L4F.jpg

tIqOT.jpg

This game is going to be amazing with all the tactile and subs connected with the multiscreen setup.

* The 120" motorised screen arrived but hasnt been out of the box yet.
Autovista on a large screen should be pretty spectacular too.

Last edited:
Triple screens look nice Mr L.
The centre screen contrast or brightness seems different though.

How are you finding head tracking plus 3 screen.

I would prefer a static 3 screen setup myself. I have Kinnect, it's great on a single screen setup.

I prefer my wheel to align up to the on screen one, with a 3 screen definitely.

You lucky git.

come on upload some bigger pics. That 'temp' cockpit needs to be fully glorified yo. Don't be so shy :dopey:

(I'd like to see the wheel and all if poss)

come on upload some bigger pics. That 'temp' cockpit needs to be fully glorified yo. Don't be so shy :dopey:

(I'd like to see the wheel and all if poss)

Hi guys....

I have my cockpit seat here and PWTS but havnt even connected it yet as I want to save that for when I get the flooring sorted and can move the base platfrom to this area. Then get the all audio and seat connected to experience it all together. I will be doing a test position/installation of the projector screen later in the week too. How about triple screens and live running replay on the projector, lol well I am tempted tbh!

This is just testing so the monitors and positions are not perfect or calibrated. Even still, damn its good.
Who knows their could be a CSR Elite shown with this in the near future. :sly:

Lunar, your right I could be charging £5 for 15 mins.

Shame on ISR not showing this off yet, its a new technical milestone for a console racing game.
* Ive started a thread on Forza Planet with more info and stuff if your interested HERE...

Last edited:
Hi guys....

* Ive started a thread on Forza Planet with more info and stuff if your interested HERE...

lol at the Bora bug on triple screens.

love the panoramic view, truly epic.

no problem buying 3 high quality screens but just totally unwilling to buy 3 consoles and 3 games for that (it just feels like a total rip off to me)!!! hopefully i will get to see that for myself when rfactor comes out without having to buy 3 PC

Last edited:
lol at the Bora bug on triple screens.

love the panoramic view, truly epic.

no problem buying 3 high quality screens but just totally unwilling to buy 3 consoles and 3 games for that (it just feels like a total rip off to me)!!! hopefully i will get to see that for myself when rfactor comes out without having to buy 3 PC

I know what you mean Lunarwolf.
However I got 2x X360s from CEX, traded in old games to help etc. The beauty with them is you still get a 1 Year GNT with the hardware and they cost about £100.

So really if you have the monitors the outlay isnt that bad if considering 2nd hand. Look at it this way would you pay £1 an hour to play the game this way? Chances are you will invest easily 200/300+ hours into it and I think that is money well spent if so.

Last edited:
Projector Screen Test

Well a friend gave a hand to get this put in placement for a trial run.
The screen size I will go for will likely be 110". I dont want it to be too imposing while at the same time let it offer a good large screen effect.

Big but comfortable with no real eyestrain. Loving the motorised action, just so cool to have that.
Walls need sorted so will be fixed up and painted. Room needs some work as mentioned before and all this is just temp.

The cockpit will of course have a method of being able to easily remove the monitors for when the projector will be used. looking forward to the challenge that may bring. Funny how all the old work regards monitor supports is now out the window, oh well it kept me amused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back