Project R

• Thread starter Mr Latte
  • 929 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive noticed that GT5 and FM4 may require different heights set for the monitors to achieve a good alignment across all 3 screens. FM4 has less tweaking options in setup for multiscreens. However the results are superb from the game including the headtracking which is for me anyways excellent with the triple display.

Going to need a monitor support solution that allows easy movement. Originally I was thinking in building my own from the chrome tubing but that could be an expensive mistake. I need them to be accurately alined, perfect.

XFX have a really nice monitor support but it too is expensive at £300.
Yet it offers superb styling and options in movement/adjustability. Thats one option...

This has got me contemplating the future direction of the cockpit.
Why spend that amount on a stand, when it would be possible to take that £300, sell my current monitors for approx £300 which would buy a 2nd projector and then consider a 3rd projector later. Would I end up wanting 3x Projectors eventually anyways?

Shaun Cole keeps saying a rig is never done, gees mine will never be started if I keep shifting the goalposts for the hardware. I like the idea of having no screen borders and possibly run with 32" - 37" in triples still could be suitable. I dont want screens too big either as it can be unrealistic. Also will GT5 work in this mode via 3x 3D DLP projectors? To this day Ive yet to find anyone showcasing if GT5 supports multiscreens and 3D?

Thoughts anyone...

Last edited:
I haven't tried Forza 4 yet so can't comment on the multi-screensetup but would another option be to make your seating and wheel sections height-adjustable? How great is the difference between the two? Can't be huge can it?! :)

Three projectors sounds like fun though; go for it. lol

What about 5 Screens? Would something like this actually be possible?

I haven't tried Forza 4 yet so can't comment on the multi-screensetup but would another option be to make your seating and wheel sections height-adjustable? How great is the difference between the two? Can't be huge can it?! :)

Three projectors sounds like fun though; go for it. lol

Its hard to be certain but with the current temp setup and only with the X360s setup I have a feeling in GT5 you need to be more level with the centre. Im finding I might need to be a bit lower or the screens a bit higher using FM4. Maybe im dreaming this but regardless whatever solution I go for I would be ultra fussy about the screens being alinged as perfect as possible.

What about 5 Screens? Would something like this actually be possible?

In GT5 the two outer screens are very stretched looking in 5 way. I dont think FM4 supports 5way cockpit or exterior views. You can have rearview, replay or a repeat of the standard view (NORMAL) although it wont move like the centre screen with headtracking etc.

There will always be a new shiny thing, or one with more lights on it.

I guess is the pleasure in using the rig it or making it?

Thats a good point and my gaming has really suffered as in having played very little in the last few months. GT5/Dirt3/NFSS2/FM4 have all been purchased but with limited playing.

Not just with whats been going on with the cockpit and getting everything now to one location but also being so busy with business/life matters.

WOW
I just noticed that this thread has exceeded 85,000 views.
Not bad for an almost (half finished) cockpit :)

Gees thanks to those keeping an eye and for your interest.
Id of thought many of you would of been fed up long ago still waiting.

Hasn't been long at all.

Civilisations have risen and fallen during this time but all is well.

What you building again?

8^).

Thanks for comments and hee, hee yeah hasnt been long at all...

GT5 3D Multiscreen?

The projector I bought a friend has been impressed and has ordered one.
I am going to use the oppertunity to once and for all determine if GT5 can work with DLP projection in 3D and on multiple displays.

Hard to believe a year almost since the games launch this has never to my knowledge been confirmed or shown working, even by Sony. Personally I think the issue may not be displaying each console in 3D output but getting a pair of glasses to sync with each display.

An update will be coming, stay tuned.
If indeed it works I reckon this cockpit project will embrace triple 3D projection in the near future. Worst case scanario it would still give more impressive borderless mutliscreen but is compatible with Nvidia Multiscreen if I ever decide to go back to PC gaming. Such technology would make it very appealing and with games like C.A.R.S and R Factor 2 appearing maybe in time unresistable.

LED Lighting
I have bought a LED lighting kit which allows different colours and transitions etc.
Gonna see if I like it.

New CSP Pedals have been ordered for an upcoming comparison on the forums.
All I can say is this will be a very special multipart report. I just wish the cockpit was finished to do the report installed on this setup, oh well.

Last edited:
I think we all wish this cockpit was finished ;)

I am slowly falling into the same pit you fell into. My design ( no way near what you got. Maybe my thread will be labeled project POOR) is continually changing as I slowly aquire more stuff. Be it a pair of 8 foot aluminum rails with channels for sliders, different seat mounts, etc I will probably be able to build 2 or 3 basic cockpits.

On an off note: not that any of that wasnt ;)
I am planning to lenghten all the leads from the sensors on the csp to the circuit board. To run through a monting plate and mount the board behind all that. And also to move the load cell adjustment knob to more accessable location.
Would lengthening the leads for the pedals about 6 inches or the potentiometer about 2 feet create any discernable lag?
If removing the leads and running longer wires is better than a simple cut and splice I have the ability to do it that way, I just dont know the tech side of electronics ;)

Sorry Latte, figured if I was start a thread you would probably be one to answer this type of question, as well as logiforce.

Thanks

Hi caz.

I like the idea of what your suggesting.
My older CSP are lying in bits as I was at one point considering doing a d.i.y mod with them. Even had done some work towards a frankenmod with the T500 Pedals also having the CSP sensors attached to them. Gave up on that with more info on the CSR pedals being announced. I would be willing if you can help source possible cables/joiners this would require, we could use my spare set of electronics to test. I dont see any lag being an issue tbh.

Your idea would be perfect if its possible to find a cable that can act as an extension to go between the pedals-board and the brake adjuster-wheel area. Rather than a new soldered but longer cable being able to disconnect to allow the CSP to be removed and then different pedals to be swapped over in their place. The beauty being all the electronics of the CSP stay within the cockpit build and wont get damaged if having to swap over.

For me its hard knowing if I will need 2x sets of pedals. If for instance the CSR Elite does indeed outperform the T500RS whats the point in keeping the T500RS and having to swap its pedals over when wanting to use it.

Your idea here could be well used in my own build but by next week I will know what the future of my T500RS will be. By all means contact via PM if you want to.

Will do mr latte. I am on my phone now, when i get home later today ( or maybe tomorrow, working overnight tonight) i will get a message over to you.

Interesting idea Caz. It is very much possible to make longer wires without soldering at home.

All you need is to figure out what kind of connectors Thomas used and order them at something like Conrad.
Also the other think you need are different colored solid core copper wires of a thickness of no more the 0.5mm I reckon. Same colors as thomas used to avoid confusion. And meters of shrinking tube.

You answered another? I had. Stranded or solid wires. Thanks LF
I have some thoughts in process of different ways to rig it. Does the forum have a way the 3 of us could brainstorm some ideas, or do you two mind sharing email address'. I have some ideas that I dont want public. With none of my IRL friends into this stuff like me, they kind of get lost when I start getting into it with them.

Caz
You answered another? I had. Stranded or solid wires. Thanks LF
I have some thoughts in process of different ways to rig it. Does the forum have a way the 3 of us could brainstorm some ideas, or do you two mind sharing email address'. I have some ideas that I dont want public. With none of my IRL friends into this stuff like me, they kind of get lost when I start getting into it with them.

Send you a pm Caz. Please share it with Latte for discussion.

Just pm my account here I can forward you an email but well Im always on here so easy to get hold of me anyways.

I cant offer much help in the way of electronics rewiring but if I can offer any assistance sure will.

Its not often I open a box and feel overcome by the product inside. I usually do not suffer from what I have long called "new toy syndrome"

Many can relate Im sure to the feeling you get when you cant believe what your seeing, what your touching, how it feels, how it looks and is in front of you. Here's the real clincher, it's times like this when that product from the first 1:1 introduction/experience is beyond your own already high expectations, producing a special moment to savour.

Today is a good day, an exceedlingly good day.

Last edited:
file.php

I'm afraid it's against the rules to talk about it at the moment, all we can say is it is a "package."

Mr Latte, you have convinced me to start working on my cockpit, well that and my "package" arriving sometime soon. All I know is I woke up with a good number of funds the other day, so I think it's time to start investing some of that into my cockpit.

Sounds like an interesting package, Latte. It's good to know it is more then expected. Looking forward to hear more about that contents of the package when made possible. ;)

Enjoy! All of you. ^_^

Okay I will show you...
COOKIES!!!
OM NOM NOM NOM

Sorry couldnt resist guys!!!!

Last edited:
My cookies are more yummy then your cookies... mwahahaha
Actually they are called oil balls, cause they are balls of dough baked in oil. They are not oily though, at least not with a good recipe. ;)
Powder sugar on top and... nom nom nom. ^_^

Oliebollen.jpg

:)hehe, These are one of the best dutch traditions. They are so tasty:tup:

It's almost time again, but for now i'll just stick to nomming pepper nuts all day long (and no, they aren't spicy at all).
I hope you do too, bigbembem? :P
Haven't bought TaaiTaai dolls yet though. =/ They are always so nice and sticky. lol

pepernoten_groot.jpg

I can´t get enough of "pepper nuts". If you eat one of them, you can't stop eating them. hehe:)
Why do you show that pic, it makes me hungry........

Anyway, might we should stick to the topic:sly:

Jumped in to see the progress of Latte's rig and all I can see is cookies...

Btw, here in Cyprus we have very delicious honey balls. They are best when just made, topped with honey, just saying :)

Latte, I have some queries regarding the tactile, I will PM you later.

Where are we with the ProjectR, any news?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back