• Thread starter NaRP
  • 36 comments
France
France
hi,

audience is near ~2000 players instead of ~4000 players
Audience_PC2.JPG

link : http://steamcharts.com/app/378860#6m

It´s what i´ve found on anecdotal evidence. It´s a ghost town online, very few lobbies. A great game, probably the best driving feel ever and nobody is playing.

It´s what i´ve found on anecdotal evidence. It´s a ghost town online, very few lobbies. A great game, probably the best driving feel ever and nobody is playing.

PS4 lobbies still are populated. Not pre-GT levels, but I can still find good races quickly.

As a side note, I have 10 friends on the PS4 that like me, all they do is race.
Everyone bought GT Sport and we were all on it day one.
Last night, 9 friends online and only 1 was on GT.
The rest were on PC2.
Not exactly scientific but that really says alot now doesn't it.

If you're looking for higher quality Online Racing, this ultimately makes the Online experience better. I'm more or less racing with many of the same guys every night now.

The graph shows that few people are playing pcars2, what would be the reason, the small errors already known and that have not yet been corrected or is there other motivation?
For me, the game is good, beautiful, fun, intelligent and the small mistakes do not stop me from playing it, for me, the big reason I'm not playing often is because there is no "feeling."
It can be me, it can be the game, it can be both, laughing not to cry.

The graph shows that few people are playing pcars2

The only other racing sim on Steam (not including iRacing) that gets those kind of numbers is AC, so ~2,000 players isn't bad really. Of course there's going to be a spike at launch when everyone is excited to check it out and a natural tapering off after that. Sims like rF2, R3E and AMS combined usually have less than 2,000 players at any given time (if they're lucky), just for reference.

The only other racing sim on Steam (not including iRacing) that gets those kind of numbers is AC, so ~2,000 players isn't bad really. Of course there's going to be a spike at launch when everyone is excited to check it out and a natural tapering off after that. Sims like rF2, R3E and AMS combined usually have less than 2,000 players at any given time (if they're lucky), just for reference.
You beat me to it.

Assetto Corsa's usage is all the proof needed that http://www.simracingsystem.com is brilliant. If Project CARS 2 had similar organization, the user base would skyrocket.

They've basically taken the iRacing model and made it for Assetto Corsa.

It needs to be stated that Assetto Corsa is nearly 3 YEARS old at this point and has a larger daily user base than a newer, better game in the same genre. What does that tell you?

All SMS would have to do is serve races which start on the hour, every hour. People would join them, even if that particular car/track combination wasn't their favorite because it would be an easy avenue for racing. If they'd build it, the masses would come. Instead, we get grids of 4 or 5 doing all sorts of different things. It's silly. The fix for this is so blatantly obvious.

Last edited:

I forgot to mention that I was comparing with pcars1, sorry my English, it is not my native language.

Assetto Corsa's usage is all the proof needed that http://www.simracingsystem.com is brilliant. If Project CARS 2 had similar organization, the user base would skyrocket.

They've basically taken the iRacing model and made it for Assetto Corsa.

It needs to be stated that Assetto Corsa is nearly 3 YEARS old at this point and has a larger daily user base than a newer, better game in the same genre. What does that tell you?

All SMS would have to do is serve races which start on the hour, every hour. People would join them, even if that particular car/track combination wasn't their favorite because it would be an easy avenue for racing. If they'd build it, the masses would come. Instead, we get grids of 4 or 5 doing all sorts of different things. It's silly. The fix for this is so blatantly obvious.

Yes, yes, and more yes.

The game needs matchmaking or these pre-set races badly.

You can do a lot of intelligent and fun stuff, like random combos, reverse grid races, anything.

Sometimes losing time trying to find good lobbies and ultimately not finding anything is what keeps people from playing. It happens to me a lot.

I know it´s not always a good comparison, but i dream of a sim racer doing multiplayer like Call of Duty, just because of the pick up and play aspect.

I haven´t had the time to get SRS working, but what made me stop playing AC was not finding anything online and being tired of hotlapping.

Yes, yes, and more yes.

The game needs matchmaking or these pre-set races badly.

You can do a lot of intelligent and fun stuff, like random combos, reverse grid races, anything.

Sometimes losing time trying to find good lobbies and ultimately not finding anything is what keeps people from playing. It happens to me a lot.

I know it´s not always a good comparison, but i dream of a sim racer doing multiplayer like Call of Duty, just because of the pick up and play aspect.

I haven´t had the time to get SRS working, but what made me stop playing AC was not finding anything online and being tired of hotlapping.
AC by default has worse Online Racing and worse AI and worse Career Mode than Project CARS 2. And, at best, is equal in the driving experience, but on fewer tracks and without "Live Track" or weather or even day/night transitions. Project CARS 2 is simply the better game at more or less every step. Yet, AC has more users. That's flat embarrassing.

Last edited:
AC by default has worse Online Racing and worse AI and worse Career Mode than Project CARS 2. And, at best, is equal in the driving experience, but on fewer tracks and without "Live Track" or weather. Project CARS 2 is simply the better game at more or less every step. Yet, AC has more users. That's flat embarrassing.

I agree, i didn´t expected this, that´s why i think things like matchmaking became essential because online these days is just a bunch of people scattered in small lobbies.

After 20 years or so i´m just tired of hotlapping and i never cared for racing the AI in any game. I just want to race people online and have fun in the 2-3 free hours i have each night.

SMS devs are very quiet these days, hopefully they are taking notes.

Just a thought
Some people older than me say that the knowledge we gain over time, leaves us more demanding and critical. It would be interesting to have a statistic of the age of the players in general, perhaps here is the explanation on the amount of people playing pcars2.
I am 50 years old, I am very demanding and critical but I know how to respect everything and everyone.

And, at best, is equal in the driving experience

Personally I would disagree with that one, AC still has a superior driving experience IMO. I never get a "WTF" moment in AC and while I get far fewer of them in PC2 than PC1 I still get them. But there's nothing saying we need to agree on this point. :)

Project CARS 2 is simply the better game at more or less every step. Yet, AC has more users. That's flat embarrassing.

Keep in mind that AC has been going for 3 years and has a pretty established player base. PC2 has only been out for a month and a lot of people are still on the fence about it or are on the sidelines waiting for patches/updates. Plus mods inject a lot of extra life into AC. Not really an apples to apples comparison.

Personally I would disagree with that one, AC still has a superior driving experience IMO. I never get a "WTF" moment in AC and while I get far fewer of them in PC2 than PC1 I still get them. But there's nothing saying we need to agree on this point. :)

Keep in mind that AC has been going for 3 years and has a pretty established player base. PC2 has only been out for a month and a lot of people are still on the fence about it or are on the sidelines waiting for patches/updates. Plus mods inject a lot of extra life into AC. Not really an apples to apples comparison.
For me AC is good for hotlapping, but the actual racing is meh. I think dynamic nature of things in PC2 place it over the more or less sterile experience of AC. I've played AC in many of its "beta" stages and still haven't found it overly compelling versus even Raceroom. Just comparing one to the other, I like Raceroom a touch better than AC in most every aspect.

I'm not anti-modding by any means, but for a game to rely on mods for a large portion of its content, particularly tracks, is a highly questionable business model.

But I will say Sim Racing System has me thinking of possibly reinstalling AC.

For me AC is good for hotlapping, but the actual racing is meh. I think dynamic nature of things in PC2 place it over the more or less sterile experience of AC. I've played AC in many of its "beta" stages and still haven't found it overly compelling versus even Raceroom. Just comparing one to the other, I like Raceroom a touch better than AC in most every aspect.

Just depends how you use it I guess. I won't deny it can be bland (I've complained about this many times) but I do the club races at RD once or twice a week and have a great time racing, definitely not bland in that scenario (other than the static weather of course).

I'm not anti-modding by any means, but for a game to rely on mods for a large portion of its content, particularly tracks, is a highly questionable business model.

No real argument there, but the fact remains that a lot of people love mods and get a lot of use out of them and that keeps them engaged with the game. Seems like every week or two there's a new solid mod car or track hitting RD, especially recently, which keeps the excitement going. Heck, there's a couple tracks where you can have two-way traffic with the AI and it's surprising how entertaining that can be, just cruising up a mountain pass jamming some tunes and overtaking slow pedestrian cars. :) Too bad mods are rarely used online.

But I will say Sim Racing System has me thinking of possibly reinstalling AC.

You should, it's pretty fantastic in my experience. Nice interface, easy to use, usually pretty large grids and good racing, and they use mods. 👍

I wasn't trying to imply one was better than the other or anything, just pointing out some significant current differences that IMO makes it hard to draw a direct comparison between the playerbase. Once PC2 has been out for 6 months or so I think the comparison will be clearer.

I wasn't trying to imply one was better than the other or anything, just pointing out some significant current differences that IMO makes it hard to draw a direct comparison between the playerbase. Once PC2 has been out for 6 months or so I think the comparison will be clearer.
I disagree here. It is remarkable that AC has this many users almost three years on, certainly. But unless things improve and quickly for PC2, the userbase will tumble further and further down from where AC is. The first month is peak usage. If the user base is already smaller than AC, that's a bad omen.

Peak Users on Project CARS was 10,688 at release.
http://steamcharts.com/app/234630#All

Peak Users on Project CARS 2 was 6,726 at release.
http://steamcharts.com/app/378860#All

Last edited:
I disagree here. It is remarkable that AC has this many users almost three years on, certainly. But unless things improve and quickly for PC2, the userbase will tumble further and further down from where AC is. The first month is peak usage. If the user base is already smaller than AC, that's a bad omen.

Peak Users on Project CARS was 10,688 at release.
http://steamcharts.com/app/234630#All

Peak Users on Project CARS 2 was 6,726 at release.
http://steamcharts.com/app/378860#All

I don't disagree with that, which is why I was saying things will be more clear in 6 months or so when the user has stabilized. There's always a rush of players for the first month or so when it's new and exciting but after that things will start to taper off as the casuals move onto the next new game and what you have left is the die-hards that will continue to play for the next year or two. I can see PCars2 having a decent user base for quite awhile, probably better than rF2, R3E, and AMS, but I don't think it will beat AC because AC has almost a cult-like following and I don't see them going away anytime soon.

I don't disagree with that, which is why I was saying things will be more clear in 6 months or so when the user has stabilized. There's always a rush of players for the first month or so when it's new and exciting but after that things will start to taper off as the casuals move onto the next new game and what you have left is the die-hards that will continue to play for the next year or two. I can see PCars2 having a decent user base for quite awhile, probably better than rF2, R3E, and AMS, but I don't think it will beat AC because AC has almost a cult-like following and I don't see them going away anytime soon.
They're Branch Davidians, no doubt. :lol::lol:

But at least they get organized Online Racing in the same vein as iRacing without the exorbitant cost. It's an incredibly appealing package.

If Raceroom had more appeal in the US, it could be as big or bigger than even AC if only because it offers more tracks and the racing is already built in. Plus, it's cheaper. You can get every piece of Raceroom content for $64.99.

Last edited:
They're Branch Davidians, no doubt. :lol::lol:

But at least they get organized Online Racing in the same vein as iRacing without the exorbitant cost. It's an incredibly appealing package.

It's kinda sorta similar to iRacing, but not sure how close it is. I guess there's some kind of ranking system on SRS but I don't know how it works and I've been able to join every race I've signed up for even when I didn't have any ranking at all. But there's pretty much races every hour and some of the YouTube personalities like Aussie Stig, the SimPit, and SimRacingPaddock run series on there, one of the races I was in I got to battle with Shaun Cole for a couple laps which was pretty cool. And it's totally free!

It would be interesting if maybe staff from GTP here could give some numbers about how much traffic this portion of the site is getting. The series and leagues sub form seems relatively busy, but this main area seems rather dead for a new game that's supposed to knock the socks off GT and Forza.

It would be interesting if maybe staff from GTP here could give some numbers about how much traffic this portion of the site is getting. The series and leagues sub form seems relatively busy, but this main area seems rather dead for a new game that's supposed to knock the socks off GT and Forza.
Does GTPlanet traffic matter? If you're 10-25 then Forza or GTS will be the game for you. If not, then you will likely want something more sim. I don't think GTP traffic is any indicator of overall success. This site is not the place to come if you're a Forza nut. Want to be in the know on all things Gran Turismo? Then sure, come here.

I'd say a large percentage of GTP members who frequent the PCars, Assetto Corsa, iRacing, etc forums were big Gran Turismo fans as kids and much younger adults. But now they've grown up, got jobs, and began investing a lot of money into this silly hobby and they want them most realistic experience possible from it.

Last edited:
Well, people talk and even ask for help here about pC2 when there are official forum...

This is true pretty much everywhere/any genre and i'll be damned if I understand it :P

All I know is that this is the only racing game/sim I’ll be playing until pCARS 3 comes out. If there is no one online at some point, I expect AI will be much improved by that point, so that’s my fallback.

The search system works against populating online lobbies.

When you can only filter with 1 type of car, eventually you find there is nothing worth searching but GT3 races, so you stop searching for other types. And then you soon don't bother creating a public race with anything other than a GT3 car, because you know no-one else can be bothered to look either.

Well, people talk and even ask for help here about pC2 when there are official forum...

This is true pretty much everywhere/any genre and i'll be damned if I understand it :P

I find the project cars forum to appear cluttered and hard to read on a smartphone, GTP is easy on the eyes and well laid out. That and the community over there is a bit whiny I don't see how Ian Bell could read through that mess everyday.

Back