PS3 General Discussion

Yes, I have shown that PS3 is shutting down itself... I'm completly tired of it. (Not of PS3 but I'm tired of YLOD!!!! :mad:)
Please tell me it is actually showing a yellow light on the front when this happens.

I turned on my PS3, I entered a lobby. When I was going to race, the screen of my TV goes blue and my PS3 shuts down with 3 beeps (yellow, green and red blinking)
Ok is it a yellow light or not? If your posting YLOD I'm assuming that's what you have.

I turned on my PS3, I entered a lobby. When I was going to race, the screen of my TV goes blue and my PS3 shuts down with 3 beeps (yellow, green and red blinking)
YLOD should be, solid green light (on), three beeps with a quick flash of a yellow light, and then shutting off with the red standby light flashing.

This video shows it in the first 30 seconds.

If it really is YLOD it is maybe $10 to fix it yourself. You can try what this guy does, but a full hardware fix will not cost a lot to do it yourself.

I added "Dead or Alive 5" and "Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition" to my PS3 collection this past weekend. Part of me still says I am a late bloomer to the PS3 party since getting my PlayStation 3 in June 2011, and I feel most people already moved on to the PS4. I still enjoy my PS3 experience regardless. That even includes getting into the more modern culture of gaming. You know... Trophies and stuff.

While I am not a NASCAR fanatic, part of me is considering getting either "NASCAR the Game: Inside Line" or "NASCAR 14." The only console NASCAR game I own is "NASCAR 07" for the PlayStation 2. I know a lot of people would vastly recommend "NASCAR Thunder 2003" or "NASCAR Thunder 2004." Any of you NASCAR gamers want to help me choose between Inside Line or NASCAR 14?

Taking apart from PS3 and use hair dryer trick won't work. My cousin already made this and YLOD is still there. What can I do? Buy a new PS3? Or going to recovery menu?

While I am not a NASCAR fanatic, part of me is considering getting either "NASCAR the Game: Inside Line" or "NASCAR 14." The only console NASCAR game I own is "NASCAR 07" for the PlayStation 2. I know a lot of people would vastly recommend "NASCAR Thunder 2003" or "NASCAR Thunder 2004." Any of you NASCAR gamers want to help me choose between Inside Line or NASCAR 14?

Out of NTG Inside Line and NASCAR 14, I would say NASCAR 14 just for having the latest paint schemes and cars available to you right off. NTG has the new cars, but I think you have to purchase some DLC to get them and plus they are from 2013 and not 2014.

Seems to be a new PS3 model coming out, model starts CECH-430X (X is replaced with region number). I wonder if they finally got the 22nm Cell processor in it although model number doesn't seem to indicate it will be a significant change.

Does anyone how to stop the text box from moving? I was just typing in the name of a setup I was doing and I don't know what I pressed, but now the text box moves around when I move the right joystick and its annoying me because I can't do anything else.

Does anyone how to stop the text box from moving? I was just typing in the name of a setup I was doing and I don't know what I pressed, but now the text box moves around when I move the right joystick and its annoying me because I can't do anything else.
That's a default setting, it always moves with the right stick.

That's a default setting, it always moves with the right stick.

Didn't know. However, I can't type for some reason from my DS3 or USB keyboard. Its just stuck and I can't exit or do anything.

Edit: Nevermind, I just held down the PS button and exited the game. I have no idea why it just stuck like that while I was typing.

Anyways using the Hair Dryer Trick or Opening fix the PS3 temporally.

Permanent fix is the reball method. Basically melt off the non-metal balls that SONY was forced to use and replace with metal solders (balls). I made it sound so easy, but it's not. It's not a long process either, you just need the right set of skils and the right tools.

I have two PS3's. One's a 40GB and the other's a 160GB. The 160GB died and I tried the reflow method: open up your PS3 flush it out with Flux, clean off the thermal paste, take an industrial heater and heat the CPU and GPU for about a minute. Let it cool, apply new thermal paste, close the PS3 up and 'enjoy' your PS3 for about a month before it does the same thing all over again.

Again, permament fix is the reball method. Some stores may offer it and it should cost anywhere from $70-$120 to fix. Turnaround (when you get it back) depends on the store.

There's one in Barrie, ON for any Candian in the area interested. It's called PowerUp Gaming. Repairs is one of their branches. Turnaround is one hour.

If you're in Alberta, there's one in Edmonton. I don't recall the name of the store, but I believe it's inside the Edmonton Mall.

Buying/trading in for a new PS3 is also an option. Just take out your Hard Drive and install it in the new one.

CALLING ALL CANADIANS!

*always wanted to do that :)

I was chatting with the said company PowerUpGaming concerning repairs and prices.

Here's the convo:

You - Click here to change
Hello. I'm wondering if you offer the reball method, as a simple reflow won't keep my PS3 running for long.

Kevin Wells joined the chat
Kevin Wells
Good afternoon, Thanks for chatting.

A professional reflow will last for a year or more if it is the first repair done. Reball's are quite expensive to do as it is twice as time consuming to perform.

Normally we do not offer reball services as part of our regular offerings because of time restraints. We have 2 part-time technicians which handle all of our repair services in the business.

So your system has been repaired prior to now?

Yes. I've personally done it. Didn't have a reballl/reflow machine to heat the solders up to the required temperature. My PS3 can still run and turn on, however rigorous gaming isn't recommended.

Kevin Wells
That is the major part of the issue. You can not do a reflow without the proper equipment first off. BUT, if home repairs have been done then it shortens the lifespan of a professional reflow if you choose to have one done later on.

The required temperatures are within 10c of actually frying the processor and that is why professional equipment is recommended.

Yes, I understand that. Right now, my only options are reballing, or buying a new system.

Kevin Wells
Our reflow service is priced at $70 and comes with a 3 month warranty. Reball's through us are provided at a cost $110. If the repair is unsuccessful then there is no charge for the repair service.

Okay. I'll consider it. You guys are the only professionals I can trust at the moment. There are a couple of people offering this service from their homes which seems very sketchy.

Kevin Wells
Well, anyone working from their homes would have to have a 220volt line running to their repair bench which most don't have. :) We appreciate the confidence, our work speaks for itself. Our success rate is extremely high.

Indeed it is. Do I need a set appointment, or can I just drop by anytime during the day when you guys are open?

Kevin Wells
Just drop by and get it booked in for a repair. Typically our turnaround is around 2 to 4 days depending on our work load when dropped off. Systems dropped off today are being booked for a Monday pickup.

We are open Monday to Friday from 11AM to 9PM, Saturday from 11am to 7PM, Sunday from 11am till 5PM.

Alright, sounds good :)

Kevin Wells
Is there anything else I can answer for you?

Do you mind if I copy this conversation to help out others on a forum called GTPlanet?

Kevin Wells
No, I don't mind. Feel free to post away. :)

There are a couple members with the same problem, and if any member is located nearby in Canada, this might be able to help them out.

Alright.

Kevin Wells
Have a great day and if you have any other questions then please break into chat anytime.

Okay. Have a nice day :)

Here's the site: https://www.powerupgaming.ca/Repairs_ep_41.html
Here's their YT: https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerUpGamingCanada/feed

Last edited:
I know this post is a few months old but these green and yellow blinking lights you described aren't just the normal HDD and Network access lights are they? :D
...part of me is considering getting either "NASCAR the Game: Inside Line" or "NASCAR 14." The only console NASCAR game I own is "NASCAR 07" for the PlayStation 2. I know a lot of people would vastly recommend "NASCAR Thunder 2003" or "NASCAR Thunder 2004." Any of you NASCAR gamers want to help me choose between Inside Line or NASCAR 14?
Out of the four NASCAR games you mentioned, I would pick none of them and go with NASCAR 2000 for the PlayStation.

I see, I see, just checking. So it looks like the green red and yellow sequence on this page?
When it turns off while I'm playing, yes, green, red and yellow. But when I turn off myself, green blinks. When I put a disk, blue solid is on. I don't think that the issue will be fixed... How can I transfer everything that I have in my PS3 to a new PS3?

For example: Mine is 80 GB (if not mistaken). I'm pretending to buy a 500 GB model. Then how can I put everything that I have in my PS3 to a new PS3 without losing them? Is because if I have a new PS3 and if I don't transfer to PS3, then I'll have to create a new account. If I put a nickname of my new account, then the GTP Registry will be rejected....

So, how can I transfer my data (games, music, trophies....) from my PS3 to 500 GB PS3?

When it turns off while I'm playing, yes, green, red and yellow. But when I turn off myself, green blinks. When I put a disk, blue solid is on. I don't think that the issue will be fixed... How can I transfer everything that I have in my PS3 to a new PS3?

For example: Mine is 80 GB (if not mistaken). I'm pretending to buy a 500 GB model. Then how can I put everything that I have in my PS3 to a new PS3 without losing them? Is because if I have a new PS3 and if I don't transfer to PS3, then I'll have to create a new account. If I put a nickname of my new account, then the GTP Registry will be rejected....

So, how can I transfer my data (games, music, trophies....) from my PS3 to 500 GB PS3?

You need to get an external HDD and plug it into your 80GB PS3.

Then go to Settings > System Settings > Backup Utility > Backup.

This copy everything over to the HDD, then you can plug it in the 500GB PS3.

On the new PS3 go Settings > System Settings > Backup Utility > Restore.

Remember! some thing's like Game Data WON'T copy across. You will have to install these again.

Also sync your trophies with PSN. On the new PS3 then sign in with your PSN ID.

Okay, if your old PS3 is still capable of staying powered on for a few hours, you can use the steps outlined in this guide to transfer absolutely everything over. (use this instead of backup if you can)
If you can't get the Data Transfer Utility to work, your account and trophies are still safe, you can sign into any PSN account on any PS3 and your trophies and account details will still be there. If you can't get the Data Transfer Utility to work it may be hard to move your save files across, and you may be left with only the backup option.

Okay, if your old PS3 is still capable of staying powered on for a few hours, you can use the steps outlined in this guide to transfer absolutely everything over. (use this instead of backup if you can)
If you can't get the Data Transfer Utility to work, your account and trophies are still safe, you can sign into any PSN account on any PS3 and your trophies and account details will still be there. If you can't get the Data Transfer Utility to work it may be hard to move your save files across, and you may be left with only the backup option.
But we can't use the saved games (in my PS3) in 500 GB ps3, right?

Imagine one thing: I take the hard drive which I have the datas in my 80 GB PS3. If I upgrade my hard drive from 80 GB to 500 GB, the data will still be in my upgraded hard drive, right? I want to do this without losing my data...

Example: (Not advertising, just an example)

But we can't use the saved games (in my PS3) in 500 GB ps3, right?
Imagine one thing: I take the hard drive which I have the datas in my 80 GB PS3. If I upgrade my hard drive from 80 GB to 500 GB, the data will still be in my upgraded hard drive, right? I want to do this without losing my data...

Example: (Not advertising, just an example)

If you pull the HDD out of your old PS3 and put a new one in there, you will lose everything that can't be backed up externally (you'll have to reinstall games, download patches again etc). If you connect your old 80GB ps3 to a new 500GB ps3, and use the Data Transfer Utility, nothing will be lost.

If you pull the HDD out of your old PS3 and put a new one in there, you will lose everything that can't be backed up externally (you'll have to reinstall games, download patches again etc). If you connect your old 80GB ps3 to a new 500GB ps3, and use the Data Transfer Utility, nothing will be lost.
But if I transfer my data from my old 80 GB ps3 to a new 500 GB PS3, I won't be able to use the save data of GT6 in 500 GB PS3?

Back