[PS4] WEDNESDAYS - Join us on Project Cars 2Finished 

Same here, 75-80, Usually 80 and if I can't keep up I try 75. Sometimes 70 if it's a crazy car but never above 80. They're too aggressive for me and the fun factor goes down. No idea what it's like at 30 though.

Same here, 75-80, Usually 80 and if I can't keep up I try 75. Sometimes 70 if it's a crazy car but never above 80. They're too aggressive for me and the fun factor goes down. No idea what it's like at 30 though.

I agree, they are very aggressive, especially in the corners.
On the level 30 they still commit to the corner but with slower pace. I think the ai "expects" you to have the same pace as them which often leads to accidents corner entry when on different levels imo.

You use full damage and mechanical failures?

We were using mechanical failures, but I had to switch that off during the Lotus 40 (Sportscar) series because we couldn't get the cars to last the race - a bit unrealistic for a car that used to run 200 mile races!

I will try the mechanical failures back on next week, but switch it off if it results in premature brake failure - these cars are already hard enough to drive without that.

@jefaais we are not running pit stops because I have been told they are bugged - they don't work when using default setups. Hopefully this will be corrected in Project Cars 2. If we had pit stops available I wouldn't use them with the Lotus 49 - routine stops were used early in F1 history (pre 1958) when the races were longer (3 hours) and the cars used exotic fuels with consequent higher fuel consumptions, then were introduced again a few years into the Turbo era.

It would be interesting to try two short races, one with ai on lets say 30% and the other with ai on around 80% and see what comes out of it..

When I started hosting on Project Cars the original plan was to set the AI at a level which would give the slower drivers such as @John Wells and myself a competitive race. What tended to happen on GT6 was that the faster drivers such as @AndreasR and @Flaco13 enjoyed good battles at the head of the field, but John and I were marooned in clear air further back - not to see another car except when we were lapped at the short tracks on the calendar. I quickly found that it is very difficult to match the AI to individual drivers with the small number of AI that run in our races compared with the big fields that you can run offline. Also we had a lot of complaints about aggressive AI causing accidents - they do become less aggressive the lower the level as we found in earlier championships.

The current concept is to run them at a low enough level so that they aren't too aggressive and in the role of Privateer drivers, with the humans being the factory drivers lapping them before the end of the race. In recent series there have been some races where I have been trying to keep up with a faster driver and when we hit the AI traffic it is very exciting weaving through the back markers trying to keep up and sometimes the two of us going either side of an AI driver.

We had a few problems with AI on Wednesday, but Sonoma is a very tight track and difficult to pass on cleanly as you are constantly going from one side of the track to the other to link the corners together - I am confident that the racing will be better in the rest of the series.

I find the AI quite good actually, the best in any racing game i've tried.

I haven't played many racing games - mainly GT5 and GT6, but the AI are certainly much better than I have experienced before. SMS claim that they have been significantly improved for Project Cars 2 - hopefully this is true because there is always room for improvement. Hopefully they don't drive off the track as much and are also less nervous and jerky in their movements especially when human drivers are near them.

@jefaais - a point that you raised on Wednesday was about using modern cars in order to get a fuller room. (Apologies for not using a microphone at the moment - my mic is a blue tooth, wireless one and it isn't synching to the PS4.) We will be using the Group A cars next after the Colin Chapman Tribute Series ends (currently Season 3 Lotus 49) - those cars should be popular!

I want to try to stick to our current programme and avoid for example the GT3 cars - we may use them at some point in the future - as future classics - I am sure that in 50 years time some of the current crop of GT3's will take on the iconic status currently reserved for Ferrari GTO's and AC Cobras. When Project Cars 2 is launched on 22nd September there will be renewed interest and I think we will find it much easier to get full or nearly full grids - I am planning to start racing on Project Cars 2 ass soon as possible consistent with doing some car and track testing.

Appreciate your concern John. Have pressure on my spinal cord from a slipped disc...waiting to find out the can do anything without surgery..or at least perhaps some less invasive form of surgery.

You have my sympathies Skip - back pain is a horrible thing. I'm lucky that I've only ever had minor problems with my back - normally fixed with osteopath treatment and the natural healing process.

You have my sympathies Skip - back pain is a horrible thing. I'm lucky that I've only ever had minor problems with my back - normally fixed with osteopath treatment and the natural healing process.
Thanks, Sick...
I was always able to either wait out these kinds of back issues until it self corrected, or went to a good Chiropractor...until now. Really been fighting depression and anxiety the last 5 weeks.
I don't want you guys to give up on my returning to active duty driving just soon as possible...I WILL be back!!!
For any of you new recruits who are trying to figure out this league, and who are trying to decide whether to give it a go or not, let me tell you to GO FOR IT!!! This whole deal really grows on you. At this point, I wouldn't want to race in any other club or league. We are not perfect and don't drive the slickest fastest cars, but it is just a great group to be in, and the cars really grow on you too!
See you all out there on the tracks one day soon I hope!!!
Skip

To add to my previous post about the ai and an embedded answer to the replies:

I'm fine with the ai on any level, if on low settings i usually wait with the pass until corner exit if i dont got at least half my car length ahead of the ai before corner entry. Going for a last minute gap (late breaking) aquires a kamikaze suit and a healthy heart... or a chasing car breathing down your neck ;-)

Results from Laguna Seca

LagunaSeca Lotus 49.jpg

forgot to save replay, so if any bad driving issues happend, please feel free to report

:cheers: Cheers

Got DC in qualifying, then got rammed by Al right after start, broke a wheel.:(
Went back to pit, but would have preferred to be on track.

Whats Al on now Sick?

It was a fun race yesterday and i had great fun!

Started as p3 and had a good start. Some debacle on the straight leading to t1 sent me into the gravel and when back on track i worked my way up through the field. I noticed i had a 10sec gap up to Simba coming out on lap 2.
Luckily, at least for me, there was some fight for positions ahead, which gave me the opportunity to catch up with the cars ahead. I noticed one car going into the pits for repairs and another car taking a wide turn in the gravel.
Mr tree was too far ahead and extending his lead for every lap so my focus was to keep simba, john and sick behind me but eventually they catched up on me with their faster pace. The last 4-5 laps we had some great, interesting, respectful battles spiced up with the AI's we tried to pass while fighting each other.
On the final lap i had a small lead over Sick while Simba were just ahead and going into the final bend i thought my 3rd position were cemented but sick, who thaught otherwise, had a fantastic exit with much more traction than me and passed me on the finish line. Deja vu!

All in all, big congrats to mr tree for his win and congrats to s&s for their podiums :-)

Good racing!

The car going into the pits was me after an incident ( open wheeler!!) with another car ( was that you, sick?)
I needed many laps to get close to the you ( sick and tiger) and was very lucky to find an gap between you and AI for a pass, absolutely unexpected.
Was a great race and a lot of fun.
Congrats to mr tree.

Cheers

Got DC in qualifying, then got rammed by Al right after start, broke a wheel.:(
Went back to pit, but would have preferred to be on track.

Whats Al on now Sick?

Really sorry to hear that John. The AI were on level 20.

I'll post the race report and championship points tomorrow - great racing everybody - really enjoyable! Big congrats to Mr Tree for overall win in the 49C and Simba for class win in the 49. It would be great if we could get a few more regulars in what is already shaping up to be a great championship - calling @richroo @jefaais @Djwaves and get well soon @Skip7950

Thx all.

Sorry longspread abouy the debacle :(
I'll be expecting you revenge next race ;)
It was very exciting for me to be first for once!
It was all because of that 'C' though.
Great race to everyone can't wait for spa-francochamps. I will try and defend the belgian pride. (Hope I don't fall flat on my face now :P)

Round 1 from Laguna Seca

Round 1 49C.jpg

Above - the overall championship table - thanks to his victory Mr Tree leads in his 49C with Simba second in a Type 49. John Wells retired / disconnected so is awarded disconnection points.

Below - SimbaLora leads the Type 49 table with TigerPaw second. The Type 49C drivers are awarded points in order, but below the Type 49 drivers.

Round 1 49.jpg

Race Report from Laguna Seca

I hadn't got round to doing any practise and in fact hadn't touched the game apart from our Monday and Wednesday races, but the excellent performance of Mr Tree has given me something to aim for, so I will try to get in some practise for the next round.

The car and track combination felt good during the five minute practise. I was extra careful leaving the pits as the lane is very narrow and long - the memory of Nigel Mansell getting too much wheelspin while exiting the pits in his Indy Car (93 or 94) is seared in my mind (I used to watch those races live on a little 14 inch black and white TV from my bed). It took me two laps to clear the AI traffic and get a clear lap. I had that in mind at the start of qualifying and so attempted to pass two AI at once - unfortunately I got tangled up and suffered damage so had to limp round to the pits for repairs. I managed to squeeze in a decent lap, but in looking at my lap time I missed my braking marker and lost control of the car on the brakes, causing damage and needing another pit stop!

The race started and we were all close together except Mr Tree who pulled away when I made a few mistakes. On one of the early laps I spun out while braking, but was lucky not to pick up any damage. It was very exciting driving close to TigerPaw while also trying to cleanly lap the back markers (AI). On one occasion I was too cautious and slowed too much - by the time I passed the AI Simba and TigerPaw had both passed me. I also managed to make a few passes when the driver ahead was slowed by backmarkers. At the end I thought I would get fourth place, but I got a really good exit and just managed to pip TigerPaw at the line to take third place.

Very happy with the race - a very intense experience!

Next Round 2 from Spa Francorchamps - join us if you can!

Is it possible, when you break a wheel, to back too pits to fix or not. Only option I find is return to pits, but can't continue to race, I what too get back out.

Is it possible, when you break a wheel, to back too pits to fix or not. Only option I find is return to pits, but can't continue to race, I what too get back out.

When playinh singelplayer you can limb your way to the pit. You'll be losing minutes if it happens in the beginning of the lap.

Yes - just keep driving and you should get back to the pits - hopefully it only happens at somewhere short!

Round 2 from Spa Francorchamps

Round 2 49C.jpg

Above - Mr Tree took the overall win and Simba the class win. Several drivers made their races harder by entering the 49 when they were entitled to use the 49C - as a result they scored less well overall, but gained unexpected points in the Type 49 championship below.

Round 2 49.jpg

Very nice to see @jefaais @Mr Tree and @richroo on track at Spa. Many apologies to Jefaais for causing damage to the back of his car - I got an unusually good exit from Eau Rouge and couldn't find a way past or a way to slow down in time. Unfortunately I picked up some frontal damage (probably not enough to be worth a pit stop) - my steering wheel wasn't straight after the accident, which made all subsequent attempts at Eau Rouge either very dicey or very slow.

I think Richroo disconnected - or maybe struggled with the car - you can use the Type 49C Richroo and this version is slightly easier to drive than the Type 49. John was also in the Type 49 instead of his regular 49C.

Apologies to all for the shambolic start to the meeting - I noticed that a lot of people seemed to have the wrong car, but when I started a new room the game put me in a Caterham - I've no idea why as I haven't driven one for months. I had to shorten the race from 30 to 20 minutes because of the time lost.

I had been hoping that SMS would apply some more polish to the quite poor Hosting Options in Project Cars 2 (compared with Gran Turismo), but haven't seen or read anything that suggest any improvements. The ability to store multiple room settings to suit a range of championships was very useful as was the range of options with grid layouts. Despite these improvements likely being missing from Project Cars 2, today I pressed the button and pre-ordered the game from "Game". I recommend anyone in the UK (e.g. John Wells) to order online from Game as they do a Limited Edition for £47.99 which includes 4 extra cars, plus a steel case and stickers - this appears to be a "Game" exclusive i.e. not available from Amazon.

Next Round 3 from Silverstone GP

Until then enjoy this amazing colour film report of the Formula One Grand Prix held at Silverstone in 1950.

Last edited:
Back