question for anybody not a citezen of the usa...

  • Thread starter Thread starter InsertCoolName
  • 166 comments
  • 4,577 views
Originally posted by Talentless
Now we can see why Emode ranks your IQ as genius.

*bows humbly*

:odd:

Apparantly the cookie wasn't big enough to plug that hole....

:p
 
You hear stories that make you wonder sometimes. I've never been to America but I'd like to, just to see how much of what you hear is true. An example: walking. Things like Bill Bryson, an American travel writer, inviting his next-door neighbours round to dinner one night and them driving there. Or the black women who sued an airline company because the pilot, in an attempt at cheerfullness, said "Eenie meeny miny mo, fasten your seatbelts, here we go" and there is one variation of that rhyme that is racist. Not the one the pilot said, but a variation exists. Whether these are true or not I cannot say, but if they are then I do wonder what a strange un-common-sensical (?) country it must be. I hope I can be proved wrong.
 
Originally posted by Mopar Muscle
In America someone can sue you for yelling at them.

...and have their lawsuit immediately thrown out.
 
Jokes are fun, Rumpy, but where am I wrong? I'm sure I am on some contentions, but you indicated the disagreement.
 
Originally posted by Talentless
Jokes are fun, Rumpy, but where am I wrong? I'm sure I am on some contentions, but you indicated the disagreement.

Rumpy?:odd: lol!

I am just trying to bug you, and it looks like it's working. :p

*note to self:* Make sure I don't bug Talentless anymore.
Oh, and self, buy some more Code Red Mountain Dew.
 
ITS ALL the KKKs fault.... id like to raid their "cross burning ceremonies" with like 500 ethnic ppl and beat the $#@% out of them
 
Originally posted by Mopar Muscle
I am a citizen, but I can still tell you why others dislike us.

America has a way different culture than most countries, other countries are more patient and more open to wait things out, Americans (not all, of course) are more impatient and don't want to wait for nothing. When we go to fast food restraunts we damand our food almost immediately. There are drive-throughs that take less than thirty (30) seconds to go through.

Were so damn lazy too, we have remotes for every damn thing in the house! We have ten (10) disc cd changers in our cars because were too danm lazy to change cds on our own.

Did i mension everyone and their mom has a cellphone?

Maybe it's because we invade countries for no apparent reason (iraq).

/\ I'm not saying other countries don't have this, but were infected far worse than any other country, and when we visit other countries we can't understand why other countrys are so different and not as "technologically advanced" and so we deem them "stupid" and act like asses to them. And when they go home to their familys that day, they say "Another one of those ______ ______ Americans came into my work today and was a rude and impatient ___hole."

/\
Thats not exactly how it goes, but it's how I imagine it came to be.
I've always thought of Americans in this light. Hmm. Let's see. I'm lazy. I'm possibly the most impatient person in these forums. My cynicism would give Klos's a run for its money. I at least invade other prople's homes if not countries for no apparent reason. I could be America even though I hate the bastards. No not really.

Do I hate America? No. I don't approve of the way they go about things, I think Bush is a wanker, and I think the attack on the WTC, however devastating and shameful it was, and as much grief as it brought to the families of the victims, has brought some Americans off their high horses somewhat, made them realise that they're not actually invincible, and made them second-think their decisions.

I think the reason that most people I know harbour "feelings" toward the Yanks is that they have such a great economy opposed to Canada's, Australia's, etc., have most of the richest and most powerful people in the world and thus have so much influence over the rest of the world and thus some go around with a "king of the world" opinion.
 
That may be true to some extent. But, if you ask Americans whether they mean to disparage others when they call their country the greatest, I believe a huge majority would say no. But I don't, for now, believe the same is true of other peoples when they compare their countries to America.

In fairness, Americans are hard on the French, something I do not support. But I don't know of any other country that's criticized and attacked over large issues to the mundane as much as America is. Perhaps others are more criticised, but when general laziness and obesity becomes the case for condescension, one wonders if their is an obsession.

Many of us wouldn't mind a thoughtful discussion, but we feel as if we are automatically cast as naive, defensive, greedy, and so on.

Just how much time is put into considering our views?

I don't proclaim America as largely right, I claim that America is treated unfairly.
 
This picture, to me, sums it up.

Americans seem to be very insular. They only seem to care about America, not the world. Most countries seem to realise that our energy will run out at some point so they are trying to be more efficient. America uses more energy (electricity and oil) per head of population than any other country, whilst not producing anywhere near as much as it needs. It then has to buy it in from other countries, which has the effect of giving other countries your money whilst depleting that countries reserves too. And you still insist on buying trucks & SUV's that get 10mpg!

And don't get me started on gun laws. The average nutter in another country does not have access to his "father's arsenal", but in America.....
 

Attachments

  • usa_world.jpg
    usa_world.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 95
One thing you should know is that thanks to the "help" you gave the iraqi people, women are afraid of being alone at home because of the criminals that was released from the prisons, people have been raped, murdered and robbed. I'm not taking any sides, but for every action there is an reaction...:(
 
Originally posted by Talentless
That may be true to some extent. But, if you ask Americans whether they mean to disparage others when they call their country the greatest, I believe a huge majority would say no. But I don't, for now, believe the same is true of other peoples when they compare their countries to America.
I believe America is, in terms of economy and world power, the greatest country in the world. But I also believe that there are some people who would try and tell me that America is the greatest country in the world, so there. To this I'd simply walk away. I mean, Americans stereotypically like Australians - or at least some Americans. Ever see an Arecin go "chuck another shrimp on the baa'by"? That's what I mean. But I certainly don't hate America. I hope no one has come to that conclusion. Where again did this great site come from?

Just how much time is put into considering our views?
Plenty! I considered Bush's view on Iraq (the second Bush and the second invasion - I think I was about 3 or 4 when the first Bush invaded Iraq). I didn't agree with it at the time and I still don't. Personally I think he, Australia's PM and Britain's PM should all be locked up for war crimes, ie going into Iraq without UN sanction, and such, according to the UN, any cause to do so.

I don't proclaim America as largely right, I claim that America is treated unfairly.
Being Australian I'll naturally proclaim Australia as being the best country in the world, but I don't agree with everything Australia does either. For example, I think Australia should've waiteed until the UN gave the go-ahead before going into Iraq. But on John Howard's eyes if he gave the US a favour, the US would owe him a favour. That I don't agree with; you can just see the tips of John Howard's feet sticking out of Bush's arse when he walks around. You talk of brown nose? Think brown FACE.
 
I don't see americans as lazy. I rather see americans as very productive.

It's just one thing I don't get, Mabye you us citizens can explain it to me.

Why do you identify yourself so strong with being "American"? At lest that's my impression that many of you do. I mean I like my country. I think it's a great place to live. Yet i rarely if ever think of myself as a"Swede", even when I'm travelling in other countries. I couldn't care less if I we joined with another country in some union and called ourselves "Bongistan". It's just something artificial that has nothing to do with the quality of my life.

What does it boost in you when you think of yourself as "American"?
 
Originally posted by GTJugend
I don't see americans as lazy. I rather see americans as very productive.

It's just one thing I don't get, Mabye you us citizens can explain it to me.

Why do you identify yourself so strong with being "American"? At lest that's my impression that many of you do. I mean I like my country. I think it's a great place to live. Yet i rarely if ever think of myself as a"Swede", even when I'm travelling in other countries. I couldn't care less if I we joined with another country in some union and called ourselves "Bongistan". It's just something artificial that has nothing to do with the quality of my life.

What does it boost in you when you think of yourself as "American"?
I think we can associate this with the few Americans that give the rest a bad name - you know the ones, those who go around with their heads up their arse, thinking that America is the best country in the world and that they'll bash anyone who thinks otherwise, even if they're visiting another country? You get those from any country, so I don't think it would be wise for anyone anywhere in the world to go around with that impression.
 
Originally posted by SandStorm
I think we can associate this with the few Americans that give the rest a bad name - you know the ones, those who go around with their heads up their arse, thinking that America is the best country in the world and that they'll bash anyone who thinks otherwise, even if they're visiting another country? You get those from any country, so I don't think it would be wise for anyone anywhere in the world to go around with that impression.

Hmm.. Mabye you're right, I'm being a bit prejudiced here and it's all about stereotypes, Swedes are blonde and promiscuouse (sp.?) - Americans have flags everywhere and their greatest wish is to die for U S A !!!
 
Originally posted by GTJugend
Hmm.. Mabye you're right, I'm being a bit prejudiced here and it's all about stereotypes, Swedes are blonde and promiscuouse (sp.?) - Americans have flags everywhere and their greatest wish is to die for U S A !!!
Yeah maybe. I think anyone's greatest wish is to die for their country. I'm not sure what the prejudice for Aussies is - hey I'm an Aussie, I live in the bloody country - and I don't really care either. But I'm sure the question, "do you hate the US" is the same with any country - I know folks who would like to see everyone in Mexico, or France, or somewhere taken outside and shot. Everyone hates someone every now and then, what are they gonna do about it? My advice is get down off your high horse, get over it and go to bed.
 
Originally posted by Krusty
One thing you should know is that thanks to the "help" you gave the iraqi people, women are afraid of being alone at home because of the criminals that was released from the prisons, people have been raped, murdered and robbed. I'm not taking any sides, but for every action there is an reaction...:(

One thing you should know. It was happening long before we got there.
 
Originally posted by DGB454
One thing you should know. It was happening long before we got there.
... Only now it's on a larger scale?
 
Originally posted by SandStorm

Do I hate America? No. I don't approve of the way they go about things, I think Bush is a wanker, and I think the attack on the WTC, however devastating and shameful it was, and as much grief as it brought to the families of the victims, has brought some Americans off their high horses somewhat, made them realise that they're not actually invincible, and made them second-think their decisions.

Some maybe but not me.

I think the reason that most people I know harbour "feelings" toward the Yanks is that they have such a great economy opposed to Canada's, Australia's, etc., have most of the richest and most powerful people in the world and thus have so much influence over the rest of the world and thus some go around with a "king of the world" opinion.

You mean President of the world opinion. We don't do kings here.
 
"Americans seem to be very insular. They only seem to care about America, not the world. Most countries seem to realise that our energy will run out at some point so they are trying to be more efficient. America uses more energy (electricity and oil) per head of population than any other country, whilst not producing anywhere near as much as it needs. It then has to buy it in from other countries, which has the effect of giving other countries your money whilst depleting that countries reserves too. And you still insist on buying trucks & SUV's that get 10mpg!

And don't get me started on gun laws. The average nutter in another country does not have access to his "father's arsenal", but in America....."--daan

Points are valid, and will be addressed later.

As for guns, an implication there is that a father should have been clairvoyant enough, since the signs may not always be there, that his son was going to be a nutcase. But never mind about characterizations. If you'd like a reason as to why about half of us are progun, you need only ask. But I'll mention a reason later.

"One thing you should know is that thanks to the "help" you gave the iraqi people, women are afraid of being alone at home because of the criminals that was released from the prisons, people have been raped, murdered and robbed. I'm not taking any sides, but for every action there is an reaction..."--Krusty

I agree, and your point is good. But, as good is the question of inaction. Further than that is the question of whether or not it was inaction. We should not mislabel most war alternatives as inaction.

"I believe America is, in terms of economy and world power, the greatest country in the world. But I also believe that there are some people who would try and tell me that America is the greatest country in the world, so there. To this I'd simply walk away. I mean, Americans stereotypically like Australians - or at least some Americans. Ever see an Arecin go "chuck another shrimp on the baa'by"? That's what I mean. But I certainly don't hate America. I hope no one has come to that conclusion. Where again did this great site come from?"--SandStorm

I don't think you hate America, and I can't speak for you. What you describe as your opinions are gospel unless too many other statements contradict you. America is very prideful. We forget our delays into both world wars. We don't debate, not much, as far as I can tell, the true measure of our contributions in either war. But, from helping Europe to Francis Scott Keys song about the flag still being there, we are very proud, and many of us believe the blood sacrifice we made is enough to justify that opinion. Now, please do not misunderstand, I'm not trying to imply that we are owed a great debt that beholdens other countries to spur of the moment decisions by us. What I am saying is that we have advanced terrifically in a short time period. Lost tens of thousands of men, many of whom believed they fought for greater principles than themselves. To some degree, our pride has a basis with shaky and solid elements.

"Plenty! I considered Bush's view on Iraq (the second Bush and the second invasion - I think I was about 3 or 4 when the first Bush invaded Iraq). I didn't agree with it at the time and I still don't. Personally I think he, Australia's PM and Britain's PM should all be locked up for war crimes, ie going into Iraq without UN sanction, and such, according to the UN, any cause to do so."--SandStorm

I should have expanded on what I meant. I was refering to views as in principles, and to our variety, mostly, though, I meant our philosophical views. I'l pass on discussing specifics of the war. And will address an issue pertaining to the UN and world bodies.

"I don't see americans as lazy. I rather see americans as very productive.

It's just one thing I don't get, Mabye you us citizens can explain it to me.

Why do you identify yourself so strong with being "American"? At lest that's my impression that many of you do. I mean I like my country. I think it's a great place to live. Yet i rarely if ever think of myself as a"Swede", even when I'm travelling in other countries. I couldn't care less if I we joined with another country in some union and called ourselves "Bongistan". It's just something artificial that has nothing to do with the quality of my life.

What does it boost in you when you think of yourself as "American"?"--GTJugend.

Simply put, accomplishment.

"I think we can associate this with the few Americans that give the rest a bad name - you know the ones, those who go around with their heads up their arse, thinking that America is the best country in the world and that they'll bash anyone who thinks otherwise, even if they're visiting another country? You get those from any country, so I don't think it would be wise for anyone anywhere in the world to go around with that impression."--SandStorm

None of us respect such people. And if a lot are like that, it's a true embarrassment.

"Hmm.. Mabye you're right, I'm being a bit prejudiced here and it's all about stereotypes, Swedes are blonde and promiscuouse (sp.?) - Americans have flags everywhere and their greatest wish is to die for U S A !!!"-GTJugend

In some contexts, that can be good or bad. We also don't see the first part, diplaying our flag as negative, or inherently dangerous.

"Yeah maybe. I think anyone's greatest wish is to die for their country. I'm not sure what the prejudice for Aussies is - hey I'm an Aussie, I live in the bloody country - and I don't really care either. But I'm sure the question, "do you hate the US" is the same with any country - I know folks who would like to see everyone in Mexico, or France, or somewhere taken outside and shot. Everyone hates someone every now and then, what are they gonna do about it? My advice is get down off your high horse, get over it and go to bed."

High horse? Sometimes, but it is not fair, and I hope you understand this, to spew hate and not have the decency to let the victim respond. Indeed, it's not a very good argument. It's the same as arguing hatred among classes regardless of fault,intent and character. There may be valid reasons to hate America, but the notion that hatred is universal is not a fair justification for expressing it harshly. That is a bully's argument.

Now, addressing the issues I promised, our hesitency can be summed up, to varying degrees, by a few terms. Mistrust, independence and pride.

We are independent, as such, we have some mistrust of the UN and similar bodies. From a strategic stand point, it might be justified sometimes. We prefer some independence rearding self defense. Reliance on government is not something we want even to the point of our lives being determined by departments of government that may not be able to aid us. Also, guns can work, logically presumed from their capablities, in stoping some criminal activity. Fairness tells us not to confine a person to his possible inequities against an assailant. A gun gives some level of equalization, and hypotheticals do not counter that contention. Because my basis is in observable fact. Other countries can rightly boast of their successes with gun control, if true, in general statistics aren't always reliable. But there always exists that person who could not get away, who was not fortunate enough. It then becomes a question of whether it is the greater good to allow the man to have had a chance, albeit not gauranteed, or to have restricted him in the hopes that the occurence of some crimes will be reduced. Ethically, I side more with the former argument.
 
Originally posted by DGB454
One thing you should know. It was happening long before we got there.

maybe it was maybe it wasn't...but now it's worse than ever
 
I'm canadain and I hear it all the time. Here's three reasons why:
1 George Bush
2 hillbillies
3 Over patriotic. All the president has to do is wave an american flag and no one will question him, no matter how stupid he is, because that's the american thing to do.
 
:singing: "If you cut every corner there'll be more time to play, it's the American Waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy"
 
Originally posted by audiracing
I'm canadain and I hear it all the time. Here's three reasons why:
1 George Bush
2 hillbillies
3 Over patriotic. All the president has to do is wave an american flag and no one will question him, no matter how stupid he is, because that's the american thing to do.

I'm a citizen, here are my ways:
1) bush - hate the *****r
2) :lol: Most of the hillbilly white trash is in the south east, in Southern california, were normal, all we do is relax, the weekend is like a party that starts on friday, and ends on sunday night.
3) over patriotic - hell yea. :banghead: people are so dumb after 9/11 people have been "showing their patriotism." Bullchit, its just a fad, stupid people just want to fit in so they go buy a damn flag so they feel 'normal.'
 
Well, san Fran aint in the south, so I suppose you could be correct.
 
Originally posted by audiracing
I'm canadain and I hear it all the time. Here's three reasons why:
1 George Bush


The vast majority of the country did not vote for President Bush.

2 hillbillies

You're Canadian because of like 0.0003% of America's population is a non-defined term which you have a problem with? What a stupid, idiotic stereotype. I'm glad you're "Canadain" too.

3 Over patriotic. All the president has to do is wave an american flag and no one will question him, no matter how stupid he is, because that's the american thing to do.

:lol: The president's been waving an American flag for eight months in Iraq and his approval rating has slipped below 50%. Honestly - if you're just going to make blind anti-American comments, shut the **** up.
 
it's very simple.. people dont like US citizens because they think they all act like M5... I'm not just saying that to annoy you M5. I'm telling it how it is. Your "rub salt in the wound" attitude is what a lot of people think Americans are like.....
 
Originally posted by audiracing
I'm canadain and I hear it all the time. Here's three reasons why

1 George Bush:


No arguements here. Most of the world thinks leaders of other countries are idiots too.

2 hillbillies

Don't know any and never met any so I can't comment.(except the ones in Cali.)

3 Over patriotic. All the president has to do is wave an american flag and no one will question him, no matter how stupid he is, because that's the american thing to do.

Patriotism is a bad thing?
Following anyone blindly isn't patriotism...it's stupidity.
Do you remember all the protest when Bush declaired war?
Were they doing what the President wanted?
I guess they must have all been foreigners on vacation.(Most likely those pansies the French)
 
Back