Questions and innuendos about Moderators

• Thread starter kikie
  • 3,805 comments
Assuming we're not using proxy servers, how closely can you track our locations?
It varies. It can be to premises, or it could be to the nearest local (read 'city') exchange.
And do you routinely look at that kind of thing?
Not routinely, but if there's cause for suspicion then yes.
whether that information is always on the screen for every post or only when checked?
No, but it's one click away. It is automatically checked by the software for low post count members and compared against spam blacklists and our own banned user lists.
is that different for moderators, admins, & webmasters?
No.

Odd that this should come up today as earlier in the week a user self-destructed after we told him we knew he was in a different country than he claimed from his IP address, and threatened to sue GTPlanet for giving him 10 warning points because it was illegal to view IP addresses.

And no, that doesn't make any sense to me either.

Odd that this should come up today as earlier in the week a user self-destructed after we told him we knew he was in a different country than he claimed from his IP address, and threatened to sue GTPlanet for giving him 10 warning points because it was illegal to view IP addresses.
Interesting stuff. Obviously I'm not hiding as I think you can tell. I just wondered was all.

You probably won't have the notification of tagging as I edited the post to include a question about when you're coming to the pub quiz.
Edit: Do we need to tell @Famine every time we go to the pub quiz or will he just turn up when he's ready?
Like when my mate worked at the council CCTV & met us wherever he already knew we were when he finished his shift.
We're there most weeks at the moment (till September) so give us a shout if you still fancy it.

Threatening to sue - classic. Zuel did that too, didn't he?

Interesting stuff. Obviously I'm not hiding as I think you can tell. I just wondered was all.
I haven't checked - haven't needed to... until now...
We're there most weeks at the moment (till September) so give us a shout if you still fancy it.
Will do. PM me a pub and a day/time (you probably already did - I was on opiates for 2 months) and I'll let you know a couple of days beforehand.
Threatening to sue - classic. Zuel did that too, didn't he?
I don't think he did, but many have.

And no, that doesn't make any sense to me either.
I take it that the illegality of viewing IP addresses was just a claim from the user & not actually something that's against the law?
Will do. PM me a pub and a day/time (you probably already did - I was on opiates for 2 months) and I'll let you know a couple of days beforehand.
I probably assumed you were tracking mine & @Beeblebrox237's movements automatically but we hadn't actually spelled anything out exactly. I'll send you a message anyway.

I take it that the illegality of viewing IP addresses was just a claim from the user & not actually something that's against the law?
Nah. He was just having a tantrum because he got 10 warning points and demanded they were removed because he didn't agree with why he got them.

Nah. He was just having a tantrum because he got 10 warning points and demanded they were removed because he didn't agree with why he got them.
I suppose agreeing to the AUP didn't constitute entering into a contract in that person's mind. Which would be a flimsy understanding of the law.

2 questions about warning points:

1. Do they go over time like if you have 10 and go a year without breaking any rules and generally being a decent GTP Member do you remove any?

2. What's the ban number is is 50 points?

1. Do they go over time like if you have 10 and go a year without breaking any rules and generally being a decent GTP Member do you remove any?
They can be permanent or they can be set to expire (from one day [although it's likely we'd issue a 0pt warning for that] to years... I don't know how many years, but I'd guess some power of 2). I'm not aware of anyone having permanent points removed, as really there's no reason to - just us and the member in question can see them and if they don't screw up again they'll never be relevant to anything.
2. What's the ban number is is 50 points?
3 strikes - 30pt :D

Let me (us) know what you think, if it was appropriate or not.
bankey-jpg.201584

Back