Rare factory options thread

• Thread starter Heldenzeit
  • 288 comments
I'm on a bit of a Buick bent at the moment, and the first thing that comes to mind seeing that BMW is the Skylark Sun Coupe. 3900 examples were built solely for the 1972 model year and just six Gran Sports were so equipped.

dfc44ae3d0b8421f0110bc92e28177fa.jpg

One of those six would be high up on my "dream car from the year you were born" list.

I’m assuming this is a rare factory option for this stripe color combination
FC9A1509-148A-47F0-B8C8-0C7527B22C10.jpeg

Can’t find any information on how rare it is unless it’s a one off.

Unless an RPO code can be provided, there very likely was never an opera window production option. Best case scenario is it's a dealer option farmed out to a local bodyshop.

It's a pity someone was compelled to do that to the car, as a '70-3 non-RS just might be the only Camaro I'd have any interest in owning.

Unless an RPO code can be provided, there very likely was never an opera window production option. Best case scenario is it's a dealer option farmed out to a local bodyshop.

It's a pity someone was compelled to do that to the car, as a '70-3 non-RS just might be the only Camaro I'd have any interest in owning.
Ebay ad claims the car is 100% stock and that the opera window was a rare option.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Chevr...arscoops.com/#hufruih43fiund43uni388489898989

Ebay ad claims the car is 100% stock and that the opera window was a rare option.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Chevr...arscoops.com/#hufruih43fiund43uni388489898989
There is no Regular Production Option code for it or option package that includes it.

http://nastyz28.com/camaro/camaro73.html

So either it's like an In-N-Out secret menu item or it's a stereotypically '70s kitsch modification misrepresented in an eBay ad.

It looks suspiciously like the one on this [also '70s, as it happens] Mustang:

0271fb049865032e507cf79bd0c3467b.jpg

GM was also much slower to jump in on that kitschy crap than Chrysler or (especially) Ford were, too. Getting it to market within a year of when the Continental Mark IV made them popular? And badly grafting it on one of Bill Mitchell's proudest designs while he was still there?

I'm skeptical.

So it seems to me like either the ad was deceptive, or the owner didn't know that the opera window wasn't factory. Do you think that there is any possibility that this is an extremely rare option and that it would be really hard to find the option code for it? Or is that a stretch.

So it seems to me like either the ad was deceptive, or the owner didn't know that the opera window wasn't factory. Do you think that there is any possibility that this is an extremely rare option and that it would be really hard to find the option code for it? Or is that a stretch.
The alternative to RPO is COPO, which accounts for special order options available to dealerships with a good relationship with the manufacturer, and these options wouldn't appear on a typical build sheet. But consider how much people geek out over Camaros...if it was a legitimate factory option, there'd be a book chronicling ownership history of each car so equipped.

2004 PT Cruiser in Bright Sea Mist Green. Only offered for half a year, 1750 produced. I own one. Not this one but it's identical. Mine is also a manual. So assume 10% sold had the manual transmission, that's about 175. Assume only about 10% are still on the road after 16 years. Now we're down to 17 or so still driving. I'm one of them.

Keeping it Mopar, here's a 1969 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with the rare "recall" alloy wheels. Almost as soon as the '69 Cuda went on sale with brand new alloy wheels, Plymouth discovered the lugs would not stay tight. They immediately issued a recall. A few owners managed to hold on to their wheels, though, making this an incredibly rare (and dangerous) option. Duplicates of the recall wheels that can actually hold on to their lug nuts have been manufactured, so it's hard to know if this model has the legitimate wheels or not.

Keeping it Mopar, here's a 1969 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with the rare "recall" alloy wheels. Almost as soon as the '69 Cuda went on sale with brand new alloy wheels, Plymouth discovered the lugs would not stay tight. They immediately issued a recall. A few owners managed to hold on to their wheels, though, making this an incredibly rare (and dangerous) option. Duplicates of the recall wheels that can actually hold on to their lug nuts have been manufactured, so it's hard to know if this model has the legitimate wheels or not.
I've seen a whole bunch of midsizes with those. I'm given to understand the nature of the Warrior's casting meant that a retorquing was required after so many miles, and Chrysler didn't want to be liable if owners failed to get that done.

Also, for the longest time prior to learning the story of those, I thought they were polycasts. The style of the wheel combined with the use of a trim ring just screams polycast to me.

I bought it from a guy who had two, this green one and silver one. If it had been the silver car, I would not have bought it. The fact that it's green (my favorite color) and a manual is why I decided to get it.
I always love it when people buy cars just for the sake that it's different from the "norm". Which is why I ended up getting a new Hyundai Veloster instead of an Accent.

My dad's 1997 VS Holden Commodore Wagon has a few rare factory options. The 3.8 litre V6 Ecotec engine only found it's way into a few VS Commodores before being put into the VT. In fact when he got the car, the VS was in runout as the VT had just arrived in the showroom. He also got the Equipe trim package, so the front and rear bumpers were the same colour as the body. Speaking of which, the body colour is Navy Blue Mica; another rare option. The wheels are from a Calais, and the suspension was upgraded to FE2 spec.

I bought it from a guy who had two, this green one and silver one. If it had been the silver car, I would not have bought it. The fact that it's green (my favorite color) and a manual is why I decided to get it.
Who knows, maybe the car will be worth $50k in 20 years. Hold onto it and take care of it you might have a future collectible in your hands. I never knew Chrysler offered that color and I think it looks pretty cool in that. A quote from a Hagerty article regarding the PT Cruiser: “Who knows, maybe this will be the ’57 Chevy of the 2040s.”

Last edited:
I'm not sure which I'm more surprised to learn from this page. That the PT Cruiser actually had flame options from the factory or that they were built with manual transmissions.
When I bought my PT Cruiser, I had a Volvo S40 that had broken a CV joint. While picking it up at the shop after having it repaired, I mention I just bought a PT Cruiser with a manual. The mechanic’s jaw just about hit the floor. “You have to bring it here! I’ve never seen a PT Cruiser with a manual!” I figured if a mechanic’s never seen one, they must be fairly reliable.

When I bought my PT Cruiser, I had a Volvo S40 that had broken a CV joint. While picking it up at the shop after having it repaired, I mention I just bought a PT Cruiser with a manual. The mechanic’s jaw just about hit the floor. “You have to bring it here! I’ve never seen a PT Cruiser with a manual!” I figured if a mechanic’s never seen one, they must be fairly reliable.
I’m assuming it’s more reliable than Mopar’s automatic transmissions (based on what many people I’ve heard have said about them).

Back