Reefer Madness! Saturday Classic Racing 10pm GMTOpen 

• Thread starter reefer
  • 510 comments
Oh, to RUF. Just to say thanks Venari for posting your BTR '86 tune here mate.

Holy smokes! I was shocked at how different your setup was to the 2 or 3 I've thieved from online and tried adapting. At Suzuka, a track I like but don't know that well, my vague and wobbly line through the 'S' Curves were shrugged off by this car. Not to start with though. Think I crashed about a dozen times on my first 4 laps. Slowly I found myself starting to get a handle on it; I think you've taken the RUF from a heavyish but powerful sports car into a cornering-eating beast. A few months ago I had been trying to tune this myself, and had luck in some areas, but not in others. I fix the some, and it throws off the others, the things I liked before. So I find myself back at square one looking online and trying to find a good base tune that I can run with and adapt.

I've always found this car evil, even at 450pp. But now it's evil in a good way. With your tune the problem with 'dead space' is gone. The feel is very good and consistent. The range on the throttle where the car passes from understeer to balanced to oversteer and back is easy to feel. The 'balanced' range is very small (but noticeable) and it just feels right. Not sure how it will survive Suzuka in race conditions with tyre wear on very fast etc.

I found the drive a hugely rewarding experience. It feels so different to almost any other car I've driven. Christmas has come early folks - jump on the RUF tune on the previous page lest you forget!

Last edited:
Aw, shucks.

It's worth noting that the RUF is a substantially more powerful car than this setup allows for. The car does get more evil as you take the power limiter off, but it's worth playing with. I used to hammer a stock one (and a black 600hp one) around the 'Ring for hours in GT4 for fun. The fun of the stock car was obvious, the 600hp car was almost impossible to keep on the tarmac... and it's gotten twitchier since then.

I'll have a play with the car and try to develop the tune for stock HP and maybe a few extra, just as an exercise.

In the meantime, have fun, I'm happy you find it nice to drive.

Venari

Just wanted to say a big thanks for your tunes and your tuning advice.

Absolutely amazing and actually makes sense for the first time esp the Differential stuff. :bowdown::cool:

All the best

:cheers:

Lol, I thought you were jokingly referring to VW Golf and using it in the rain because it's FF so it's easier to handle. I had no idea there is actually something like Schwimmwagen. :lol:

Once tuned, they drive better than you would expect. I've been in races with them at Streets of Willow - good fun. I own two of them, bought one, then won one a few months later. Pity we don't have water features in GT6 - that would be the business for racing with them. Yea, I know, we/I, always want more - lol.

lol, good question VEXD, never even realised there was a '14 circuit. I'll check when I get back from work and let you know.

Venari-202
Joe-189
BB-186
BBB-158

The championship scores of the top 4 minus our lowest two races as of now. Buybon has been remarkably consistent, finishing top 4 every race. Venari and myself each don't have to worry about points being taken off at the end since we both missed 2 races.

I for one plan on not taking any prisoners and winning the last 4 races, since I have been saving some of the fastest cars for the end, on tracks I like. Even then 258 points still won't be enough to win probably. Oh well.

That's great bbb,as you say I've only got high scoring places to drop points from. I had figured venari was in the lead but didn't realise I had dropped to 3rd! Gloves are off!

There are definitely going to be pitstops for me. Everything I'm driving is eating rubber like I eat chocolate biscuits.

I think I'm going to be at a disadvantage this time around, the 'S'-curves are a bit hairy without having both pedals to press. However, I have cunning and guile and I shall be doing my damnedest to hang in there with my remaining steeds.

I just did few laps for the first time. Late 2:17. Feelin' scared yet?

edit: but I'd like to know serious times too

Last edited:
I've had 2'17.1xx in the Ruf, but I had no tire wear on and only did two laps......
I've seen a 2'17.0xx in something lotus shaped, but that was after 3 laps and again, no time for tyre wear testing.....

Hope this helps.

2'16s are easily there, but not sure with tyre wear on.

:irked:👍

Bahh. 2m19s for me. How I got 2m18 out the Jag I'll never know. I must have a bad line through a section, although I did a series of incomplete laps in the Esprit and it's very quick. Europa needs work to be fast here.

A quick offline blast this evening resulted in a 2:16.5 in my trusty Stratos. A 2:19.3 in the Renault (anybody used this yet?). And a 2:20.2 in the Merc. Probably room for a little improvement in the last two, the Stratos was nearing it's limit.

It's a shame you can't have the tyre wear option offline. I might try them with lesser tyres to reduce the grip for testing.

My late 2:17 was in offline though.

It's a shame you can't have the tyre wear option offline. I might try them with lesser tyres to reduce the grip for testing.
And an option to play with online physics offline, lol. I just love racing with my ghost. It's a great way to see where I'm losing time and compare setups

Trying to set up my Merc a la Venari last night.
Managed to get a 2.18.xx online! Then screwed up the tune too much and can't get off 2.20.xx.
The Stratos out the box does 2.18 easy online as does the RUF.
All of this was with tyre wear off.

I think some of the lighter cars might be better with tyre wear and fuel on.
:cheers:

Hey guys,

I see that the last race takes place at Apricot Hill. I think it's my favourite original track, just because of nostalgia. I remember when I was a kid playing GT2 and finally made money for a more serious car I was excited about (Dodge Viper, because it looked cool lol). It was a summer evening, sun setting down outside, and I was playing endurance race on Apricot Hill with my new car. That race is my best memory of GT2.

I was thinking that since Apricot Hill has full 24h cycle, maybe we can do one race 24h, you know = 1 minute = 1 hour? Or maybe one 48 minute endurance race?

Not a bad idea Michel, could do something similar to what we did at the ring - a sprint race of a few flat out laps and an endurance race.

We did a couple of 20 minute races with @JockeP22 at Apricot Hill awhile back and I worked out a setting that gave a nice sunrise for one race and a sunset for the other. I think one was forward and the other in reverse direction.

I'll look them up if anyone is interested.

I was thinking that since Apricot Hill has full 24h cycle, maybe we can do one race 24h, you know = 1 minute = 1 hour? Or maybe one 48 minute endurance race?

I like your thinking Michael, trying to look at different ways of running it. But my TV is hopeless in the dark on GT6. I've tried adjusting the brightness but with no real improvement. I think it has a light sensor and at 7am, the time we're racing, the sun usually starts streaming in my window making it impossible to see the road. I've also tried adjusting in-game settings and that has helped a bit but not much. So I tend not to run in the dark. I like your idea though!

...could do something similar to what we did at the ring - a sprint race of a few flat out laps and an endurance race.

If there was enough interest in this, all good with me.

Also, buybon and Venari, I'll be looking to try your tracks over the weekend. Which do you recommend trying first, your bestest?

@reefer - Here's the settings that were used. As it turned out they were 20 minute races also! So there's nothing to change really. The direction is up to you of course, although the forward & reverse did add a bit of variety. But the sun goes up and down whichever way you go.

The morning event - 20 minutes.
Apricot Hill forward. Start time 06:10. Time progression x7. Qualifying 6 minutes
A break for lunch. :)

The evening event - 20 minutes.
Apricot Hill reverse. Start time 17:20. Time progression x5. Qualifying 6 minutes

The Weather at zero (fixed) for both to get a nice sunrise and sunset.

The evening race was quite nice with it slowly going darker and the track & stand lights coming on.
The morning didn't work out so well because it was cloudy so the sunrise was hidden - so no weather.

Edit: I've just seen your post above about the darkness and the sun does set in the second race. But... The track lighting at The Hill is quite good, it's never total darkness Anyway give them a go and see what you think.

Also, buybon and Venari, I'll be looking to try your tracks over the weekend. Which do you recommend trying first, your bestest?

For a 450PP car...

Lakeside, Smörgåsbord and Hornachuelos Club. All the Santa Monica tracks work in a 450PP car, but they're a fast ride. :D

If you like tight and twisty, Lakeside. If you like hills, Smörgåsbord. If you like speed, then Santa Monica - bit long for 450PP though. Hornachuelos is a longer, faster flowing ride, and if you get a GT500/GT3 car out, get the full LM variant also to see Calles Bosques from both directions.

Cooper is good for 450 pp, nice and sort, quite easy with a couple of tricky corners to remember. I like crawfield in a gt300 car, it's pretty fast, as is kinacres. Let me know if you like them

Back