rFactor

• Thread starter husa
  • 5,397 comments
sifting through all of the garbage for the quality stuff is something I don't enjoy.
I know what you mean, but fortunately, there hasn't been much garbage to sift through in RFactor. There's been the odd one or two poorly done mods, but overall the standard is quite high compared to other games mods. Tracks wise, there's more dodgy tracks to sort through than cars, but the tracks are much easier to sort through nad organise.

Thanks for the heads-up, Ashley. :) 👍 I'll have to keep an eye on that.

@Live4speed: I see. What do you think of the version of the Nürburgring you have?

It's not as accurate as GT4's ring, but it's the best version of the Ring I've raced on in a PC sim yet and I do enjoy driving on it. It's got the full 24hr circuit, the Nordschleife attahed to the Nurburgring.

Hey Wolfe, sifting through mods isnt all that hard, and also you get guys on here who can recommend good ones. Ashley told me about the TVR Tuscan F106 mod and I love them.

The Group A Touring Car mod in development promises to be good, especially if you have the Bathurst track.
Two DTM mods are being worked on, 2002 and 2006 seasons.

If you like tintops then Sports Car Challenge and V8Star look good. However V8Star seems to have a lack of updates on progress.

It's not as accurate as GT4's ring, but it's the best version of the Ring I've raced on in a PC sim yet and I do enjoy driving on it. It's got the full 24hr circuit, the Nordschleife attahed to the Nurburgring.

From what I've read, it's the only version of the 'Ring you've raced on in a PC sim yet. :lol: Apparently, it's based on the same Grand Prix Legends track geometry data that pretty much everyone uses.

Thanks for the tips guys -- I'm thinking about it. With the fall semester over, I'll have more time to play something a bit more in-depth like a driving sim, so I may just have to buy this thing.

At the core they all are, however if you compare that version to earlier versions and to the Grand Prix legends version, they are all different. They don't all share the same geomerty data, but they all started from Grand Prix legends tracks data. I have two versions of the Nordschleife in my game, one is called the Nordschleife green hell, and the other is the Nordschliefe 24hrs, the 24hr circuit is a lot better than the green hell circuit imo, both in layout and in textures. There are some scratch built rings being made at the moment, but I'd rather someone try to re-create the Isle of man TT track, I've spent so much time racing the ring in so many games I'd like to try a new track that's similar in scale.

Christ, GTR2 and F1 1979, gonna have to download them when I get back from dads place at end of next week.

F1 1979 is absolutely fantastic! The cars are a joy to drive, sound amazing and the tracks are brilliant!

Just tried the latest additions to the Nordschleife all-road. V8 layout, village run and the 24 hour circuit, all fantastic!

after the tires heat up, the cars start to handle better (duh) i only say this because it takes longer than some people might expect. :P this also depends on how you have the car set up. (duh)

Meet the newest rFactor player: me! The short version of this post is that I like rFactor a lot. Now for the more detailed version that normally gets people upset because of a "wall of text" comment that some will make:

I've been playing through rFactor as a late Christmas present. It's made by Image Space Incorporated- the same people who made the classic "Sports Car GT." rFactor features mostly fictional cars. I'm not at all offended by fictional cars only as long as they aren't Burnout ugly. I noticed that rFactor is kind of like an upgraded and more customizable Sports Car GT. There's that map in the lower-left side of the screen showing you all the positions on the track. I noticed the *.mas files when my game was installing the game data. But here are some differences rFactor completely has over Sports Car GT. For one, you can set the time of day you want to race. You can even do a Random deal for daytime and other races. The first time I made a random time choice, I did the Toban race course (Nationals) at 5:30AM in the morning in the game! The time multiplier deal sort of speeds up time in the game so that it can be evening while the race ends under starry nighttime skies. The requirements said that I had to have a GEForce 3 or Radeon 8500. Fortunately, the game plays well with my SiS 760 deal. I think only "Sega GT Homologation Special" is the only game that has problems playing with this 3D card I have. This game has a variety of tracks once I unlocked everything by registering online. While normally not a fan of extremely long courses, I did find some fun with the Licht races in Australia on country roads. There was even a 24-hour configuration. I was thinking to myself... "I can't imagine doing 24 hours on a track like this!" My computer runs pretty slow with 24-hour tracks. The AI has been pretty friendly and real most of the time. I've been whacked off the track a few times. I even noticed a car that DNF'ed its way out of the race a few times. So it isn't as if I'm the only car that can be knocked out of a race.

I'll keep playing around with rFactor. My biggest gripe about this game is that I don't have a complete manual on all the nuances of rFactor. May have to find something online to help me further with this game.

If you want any help or advise with RFactor or with what mods to download just ask 👍, you've made a good choice with RFactor imo.

Welcome to the rF club John. lol

If ever you download the Megane mod and race online, go to the Dutch Racing League server. It's probably the best for Megane's and good racing is always there. My racin name online is Stinger, so you might see me there sometimes. lol

rfactor has many more cars and tracks than lfs currently does. so if that is more important to you, then yes. physics wise, lfs is better. also, the force feedback is better in lfs. i havent played rfactor online in ages, so i cant say which is better.

rfactor has better graphics overall. lfs looks okay as long as you have on some AA and AF. without AA, lfs looks kinda bad. lfs does do a few things better than rfactor graphicly.

LFS has a free online demo with 3 cars. rfactor has a demo, but it is offline only.

Thanks again. I'm always glad to be on a message board where I'm better respected. Great being on this message board for about three years. I think if you're looking for content and such, rFactor has more content as a demo than Live for Speed. Plus, you don't need a license to get extra content. The reason why I averted "Live for Speed" earlier is because it was an online racing simulator, and I'm not the online gamer. I think rFactor has a lot to offer in terms of the game content and more. I'd go with rFactor if you're the offline gamer on content alone.

I recently cleared the ZR Challenge and currently doing the ZR-Z Invitational. I hated that I had a car like this and not really geting anywhere. I had a whole lot of money to actually tune up my car. Now I'm not far away from perhaps challenging another series. All I have to do is win the SR-Z (or whatever it's called) Invitational. I can then sell my ride and go to a different class of racing.

Now on to more on this game. I think the time cycles were pretty amazing. It has to be about 7 or 8 PM before you actually notice the lights flickering on. It's a highly realistic effect. They sometimes come on when I'm done with a race as I let the AI driver drive the car home. I've said that rFactor is like Sports Car GT. To me, it's more like a true successor to Sports Car GT. A number of elements sort of remind you of SCGT if you played it before. I may even get rid of SCGT on my PC and not install it again until I want to relive those memories. The game really seems slow on my PC with some races. I don't have the connection type to download massive files on my PC. So what I may have to do is use one of those Download Managers or something. It's because I'm thinking about getting the Superkart Challenge mod. I'll be looking for a number of modifications I can look for to enjor rFactor more. It's great fun from what I've played. Haven't had this much fun since SCGT on my old computer. I'll be sure to play more of this game and offer added commentary to other threads.

But again, thanks for your support.

If you know how to use bittorrents, rtracker.org is a good site to use, pretty much any mod can be found there and you can stop bittorrent downloads when you switch your PC off and then restart them from where you left off another time.

Well, the last message board about racing and automobiles I was on previously was the now-defunct Speedsims. I never felt so hated. Really felt like I was a nobody or a "n00b." Very little respect as I was mostly there in the discussion of Sports Car GT then. One of those damned Moderators from that site E-mailed me some chain letter thing last year or two years ago. Really sad stuff. I'll take your advice, Live4speed. I initially thought this was a European game that wasn't going to come to American shores. I believe that it wasn't until this past weekend when I seen a box or case for rFactor for the first time. I immediately picked it up since I had money as a result of selling my school books and getting a $50 USD bill that I was unable to use for Christmas shopping.

I've been thinking of coming up with my own tracks and series granted that I can actually model them. What I could do is take a blank set of cars someone made and come up with my first-mods and standalone cars I made since 2001, when I edited the Corvette C5-R with graphics of Charlotte Church (yes. I was hooked to her and her music then. Now she's (from what I've heard) a terrible pop star). Ideas I had were to pick up the Radical MOD (work in progress) and maybe work on a college sports package which features teams from certain conferences. When I actually get some mods and stuff to work with, I seem to have endless things I want to do with everything. One person in the rFactor community is currently coming up with something to give people the chance to design their own tracks. I can't wait to see when "Bob's Track Builder" is complete and if I'm able to actually come up with some new material to work with. The rFactor engine seems to be very perfect in terms of a game engine. Everything is so customizable from cars to even how the race is paced. I could set the Time Scale to X60, start a race at the Lienz GP Long course for about 4 or 5 laps, and it's pretty much a 24-hour race!

Carry on, folks.

Latest Posts

Back