Ridiculously overpriced used cars

Is this thread-appropriate? This 2008 Honda Civic Type-R Mugen RR with 32,600 miles is up for sale in the UK for £89,995 ($127,000). 1 of 300 made.

Civic-FD2-Mugen-796a.jpg

https://www.torque-gt.co.uk/mugen-rr-240521.html

I wouldn't spend it, but I'm not shocked. JDM cars like these are seeing demand with collectors. I would assume the bulk of this price is due to it being in the UK (I'm guessing the model was never imported into the UK or a tiny sliver of the 300 made it out of Japan to begin with), as 3 I see for sale in Japan are asking around $100-140,000.

This Civic was "only" 4,8 Million (~45,000 $) Yen new. The prices today just doesn't make sense (out of the mouth of a little Honda/Mugen/Spoon fanboy). And yes the aero parts were exclusive to the RR but they had and still have aero parts for that Civic which aren't that much different (in my opinion better looking). The technical parts were and are normal available and aren't that special. Still just a slightly modified Civic, I mean +15hp says everything. The base FD2 also was a real good car in itself so with these few tiny (base) mods it's not that much of a gain over the base Type-R. Mod list isn't that long for a ~15k $ Mugen-tax on the base Civic. Changes were exhaust header, airbox, coilovers, wheels, discs and pads, Recaro Mugen-branded front seats, shiftknob and the aeroparts. You could and can buy all this for the same 15k US$ incl. paint and fitment at Mugen. Not sure were FD2 prices are now but assuming 20k you can create a very closed speced FD2 (in the color of your choice since Milano red was fixed on the RR) with all the Mugen bits from the RR for 35k and have the same experience for ~1/4. Take a US-spec SI which will be even cheaper and spend on more bits would also be possible. Or just buy a FK8-R which will drive circles around this or enhance your FD2 with a JRSC or a turbo setup instead of some of the Mugen pharmacy priced parts. Still a 2000s Civic which I don't believe will attract people like R34s, NSX, Supras or FDs which are just in another category of cars. I mean there are a lot of dumb people with money out there nowadays but I don't think they would put 130k in a Civic and just buy a Lambo, R8, 2 AMGs, or even as JDM-enthusiast buy a RX7, NSX, Supra and maybe even a R34 GT-R when quick. Could still be possible a R34 + your self build Mugen FD2 instead of the RR :ouch:

http://www.mugen-power.com/automobile/products/CIVICTYPE-R_FD2/parts/05.html

img5.jpg

Last edited:
A 2000 Acura Integra Type R with 7k miles is currently up for auction at a hefty price of $111k:

7k-Mile 2000 Acura Integra Type R

Last edited:
Wow, the market has gone bonkers.
A few years ago, when Type R prices were still high but not nearly this insane, I remarked on how the prices couldn't possibly reach $100k, but I was wrong. It's insane that the Integra in the pictures is worth more than half the price of the houses in the background. Then again, everything on Bringatrailer seems quite overpriced these days.

Last edited:
A 2000 Acura Integra Type R with 7k miles is currently up for auction at a hefty price of $111k:

I've been watching the ITR market (especially bring a trailer) for almost 2 years, and I've not seen an example like this in that time. A lot of these cars are high mileage. I'm not surprised to see this one go for a lot. Just browsing classic.com, I don't see any ITRs sold that had below 10k mi since at least 2015 (and probably well before that).

Last edited:
Found this while browsing thru Carvana. The used car market today in a nutshell:

In 2015, this car, a base-trim Nissan Versa Note had a sticker price of $11,995. The cheapest car on the market in the US at the time. Now at seven years old and nearly 100k miles, it is $2k more expensive at almost $14k used. Bonkers.

C293DD22-1BEC-4ED5-A99E-577408BA07CC.jpeg

So this is why everyone on Facebook Marketplace and OfferUp want $5k for their VTEC engines (not swaps), and why everyone with an Integra thinks they're worth 10k minimum.

I don't even know how the heck this cracked 100k aside from it having next to no miles. Who the hell paints the splash guards???

Maybe I’m not remembering other high priced us3d cars, but asking over $100k with photos on your driveway? Shouldn‘t photos be taken in a garage or big lock up?

On the low end of the spectrum...

How about a trash 1984 Toyota Tercel with 150,000 miles for $3,800? This was actually $4,000 last week so he's given a discount. I honestly thought this was trolling at first, but the ad appears legit. Pic attached below in case the ad goes down. I, regrettably, sold my 2012 Mazda2 for $4,500 back in 2018 with 65,000 miles on it and in near-perfect condition. I bought my 1984 Mazda RX-7 in near-perfect condition with 105,000 miles on it for $2700 back in...2009 maybe?

tercel.JPG

@Heldenzeit This one is down near you. Next project? :lol:

Last edited:
Unfortunately, any 80s or early 90s car that is running these days is a "classic" and a "survivor" and will have some obscene price tag to go along with it, regardless of mileage often times. Even American crapboxes of the time have really shot up in price.

Unfortunately, any 80s or early 90s car that is running these days is a "classic" and a "survivor" and will have some obscene price tag to go along with it, regardless of mileage often times. Even American crapboxes of the time have really shot up in price.
Maybe in the rust belt, but there are a ton of "survivors" out here. (I don't even think you could describe this Tercel as a survivor to be honest...it's barely hanging on)

For comparison, here is a clean V12 XJS for $2,000

or how about a tidy 4WD V6 4Runner for $2,400 (needs minor engine work)

or a neat 1983 Civic for $2,500

All of these vehicles, IMO, are far, far more desirable than a clapped out tercel.

Last edited:
Maybe in the rust belt, but there are a ton of "survivors" out here. (I don't even think you could describe this Tercel as a survivor to be honest...it's barely hanging on)

For comparison, here is a clean V12 XJS for $2,000

or how about a tidy 4WD V6 4Runner for $2,400 (needs minor engine work)

or a neat 1983 Civic for $2,500

All of these vehicles, IMO, are far, far more desirable than a clapped out tercel.
I highly, highly doubt that Jaguar is running. It seems implied that it's been sitting since 2010, and if it that is true, it mostly certainly won't start up and run like normal. Because $2,000 is way, waaaay below the average price of an 80s Jag.

How the hell are those so cheap in California? A guy was selling a slightly newer one in the SLC area the other day with 215,000 miles on it for $4,500.
To be fair, most of them are not this cheap. That one is honestly kind of a steal if the fix is as simple as he makes it out to be.

Not car-related but perhaps this is another reason why people keep on asking for stupid prices on their second hand Hondas. Nevermind the fact that, working at the dealer, no new cars, no parts, and everything is on backorder :lol:

1647454242965.png

😐

This is why I will be selling my 250k Integra for 10k minimum :sly:

On the low end of the spectrum...

How about a trash 1984 Toyota Tercel with 150,000 miles for $3,800? This was actually $4,000 last week so he's given a discount. I honestly thought this was trolling at first, but the ad appears legit. Pic attached below in case the ad goes down. I, regrettably, sold my 2012 Mazda2 for $4,500 back in 2018 with 65,000 miles on it and in near-perfect condition. I bought my 1984 Mazda RX-7 in near-perfect condition with 105,000 miles on it for $2700 back in...2009 maybe?

View attachment 1125028

@Heldenzeit This one is down near you. Next project? :lol:
Was near me. I moved to Houston! Plus, I have about zero interest in that lol.

A 25k$ Chrysler LeBaron in Netherlands, of all places. :lol: Seats look mighty fine, though.

Not car-related but perhaps this is another reason why people keep on asking for stupid prices on their second hand Hondas. Nevermind the fact that, working at the dealer, no new cars, no parts, and everything is on backorder :lol:

View attachment 1125058

😐

This is why I will be selling my 250k Integra for 10k minimum :sly:
And now imagine wanting some period correct Mugen parts for that JDM street cred...

4000$ EK9 front lip

7500$ for a set of DC2/EK9 fitment MF10s

9000$ EK9 gauge cluster

5000$ bumper for a DC5

2000$ sideskirts to go with said bumper

5000$ for the hood

10000$ for NSX headers

Absolutely ridiculous. :lol: I had at some point ages ago a Gen II DC2 rear wing I picked it up cheap but wasn't sure I liked how it looked on the car, so I re sold it for like, 300$... wonder how much that's worth today.

Last edited:
And now imagine wanting some period correct Mugen parts for that JDM street cred...

4000$ EK9 front lip

9000$ EK9 gauge cluster

5000$ bumper for a DC5

5000$ for the hood

10000$ for NSX headers

Absolutely ridiculous. :lol: I had at some point ages ago a Gen II DC2 rear wing I picked it up cheap but wasn't sure I liked how it looked on the car, so I re sold it for like, 300$... wonder how much that's worth today.
But these parts don't sell. Watching the Mugen DC5 parts a bit longer now on Yahoo Auctions and they're just cycling in new adverts again and again without bidders. I mean there are people in Japan too rolling the dice finding people paying those ridiculous prices.

4000$ EK9 front lip

9000$ EK9 gauge cluster

5000$ bumper for a DC5

5000$ for the hood

10000$ for NSX headers

The only person who'd want/buy stuff like that are probably millionaires with tons of disposable income to build a Mugen-kitted Honda. And clout chasers or people who get so stuck on brand they're willing to pay the value of their car for a front bumper.

Stuff like that is why I'd rather just replica pieces that I don't have to worry about. I wanted a Spoon carbon lip for my JDM front Integra but I'd probably be all nervous about cracking and destroying a $500+ lip.

This was technically a fat-finger moment as BaT removed the bid, but I about choked on my soda when I saw this currently at the top of BaT's highest bids.
cats.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back