Ridiculously overpriced used cars

The Group A history of a classic brick. Modify it. Leave it stock. Resell it. Only another 240T looks like it. Well worth that price.

lol.JPG

yikes

If it was Michael Jordan’s GTI(I think it was a 1985 model), yeah, but heck no. People are buggin’. Why bother to sell it?

If it was Michael Jordan’s GTI(I think it was a 1985 model), yeah, but heck no. People are buggin’. Why bother to sell it?
Even still, the fact that a famous person owned it shouldn't shoot up the value to such an extent.

Even still, the fact that a famous person owned it shouldn't shoot up the value to such an extent.
Oh, for sure. My wife’s old 1960 Ford Falcon XK was owned by an ex-Premier‘s daughter. Which my wife bought for $2500AUD in 2007. Today, can’t get a nice one for under $30,000AUD.
This Golf being a 2L with Recaros and model specific BBS(with curb rash, if I read correctly), it’s not even in pristine condition. For $87,000, it better have been driven by Walter Röhrl or give me a significant special story that comes with it… and I’d love to own an A2 Golf or Jetta again.

A 1992 GTi 16V with 53k miles recently sold for a mind-numbing $87,000 on BaT recently. This is the automotive equivalent of that banana taped to a wall in an art gallery.

1992 Volkswagen Golf GTI 16V

It's interesting to me that the housing market has taken a pretty severe haircut in recent months but the collector car market is still flying out of control. Tells me there is still a lot of cash out there, even if debt is a lot less attractive than it was. I might find this amount appropriate for a mint MK1 GTi, but the porky MK2? Nah.

The more I think about this, the more I think it might be below board. Idk money laundering or something. I can't imagine anyone paying nearly $90k for a MK2 GTI.

Last edited:
Is this overpriced?

Probably considering the last RS500 that sold was in December for £124,500. Sure, it has double the miles on it, but it was still under 15k.

But they're worth whatever someone is willing to pay and apparently someone was willing to pay a hefty price to get one.

Probably considering the last RS500 that sold was in December for £124,500. Sure, it has double the miles on it, but it was still under 15k.

But they're worth whatever someone is willing to pay and apparently someone was willing to pay a hefty price to get one.
This is definitely gonna lift all the Merkur XR4Tis to at least like...three hundred bucks.

Latest Posts

Back