Rocket League

• Thread starter evanzo7
  • 862 comments
I played someone with a GTP in their name the other day.

GTP_callitback (?) or something similar. You new to the game? I saw your wheels stayed on the ground for a long time. :lol:

We got destroyed in the few games we played together.

I am officially tired of Neo Tokyo and Wastland being in the competitive playlist. Wasteland I can deal with... but Tokyo is stupid.

I am officially tired of Neo Tokyo and Wastland being in the competitive playlist. Wasteland I can deal with... but Tokyo is stupid.
Both are complete stickers for me. Neo is just awkward to play on and pointless in competitive, Wasteland has too many opportunities for awkward bounces and favours whoever is closer to the ball rather than who can react the best since there's so much area for the ball to gain height.

I figured they'd be removed after their initially 'intro' period.

As it stands, I'm 18-5 on Ranked Solo - 4 of those lossess have came at either of these locations.

Last edited:
Both are complete stickers for me. Neo is just awkward to play on and pointless in competitive, Wasteland has too many opportunities for awkward bounces and favours whoever is closer to the ball rather than who can react the best since there's so much area for the ball to gain height.

I figured they'd be removed after their initially 'intro' period.

As it stands, I'm 18-5 on Ranked Solo - 4 of those lossess have came at either of these locations.

Not to mention the frame rate on those maps (especially neo) is terrible. Also that smufing problem is still happening. Smh

Not to mention the frame rate on those maps (especially neo) is terrible. Also that smufing problem is still happening. Smh

Smurfs are an issue on most of these types of games, you have to learn to deal with it. Also frame rate issues may be on your end.

Smurfs are an issue on most of these types of games, you have to learn to deal with it. Also frame rate issues may be on your end.

No, im not the only one complaining about that. I seen plenty of people mention the terrible frame rate on neo. I got a great connection. It's a map issue.

No, im not the only one complaining about that. I seen plenty of people mention the terrible frame rate on neo. I got a great connection. It's a map issue.

Then it's probably something you should keep hounding Psyonix about, on the boards cause that's the only way they'll potentially do something about it, if they aren't already.

Then it's probably something you should keep hounding Psyonix about, on the boards cause that's the only way they'll potentially do something about it, if they aren't already.

They usually look at people feedback and stuff so they hopefully they will. Or they can do this.....Remove rain from that map. That's probably the reason the frame rate is bad. The ball floats too. In a odd way, making for some of the most bs goals.

Framerate issues on Neo Tokyo and one of the new Rocket Labs map are occurring regularly. I'm constantly (almost) missing easy clears and shots because of it.

The problem with smurfing is that Psyonix said that they'd prevent Steam family share accounts from queuing in ranked playlists. That's how most smurf accounts worked (and still do work), since you can create as many free accounts as you want and just family share rocket league to that account for free.
While the season 3 patch did make it so that someone using a family shared account can't queue on their own, you can still do it in a party where the smurf account isn't leader.
Which is also how the 15 minute ranked bans for leaving work. You can still play ranked just fine with a friend.

In addition to that, Psyonix also said they'd implement a maximum rank difference for parties. So in theory a super champion wouldn't be able to play ranked with a rising star (I believe the rank difference is supposed to be 3 ranks, but I could be wrong). They haven't implemented this and by now it's far too late in my opinion. Smurf accounts are already in the top 10's.

you have to learn to deal with it.

Just as you would with Wasteland and Neo Tokyo I say. That wasn't directed at you BTW.

I thought about using the side ramps as a way to position your car in the air either by boosting off or jumping once. It's about finding what the features open up opportunities too; not fixing the rules to your comfort zone.

Also, for any dudes play on PC, the 4 car DLCs that were out on consoles a while ago are now available for purchase.

The problem with smurfing is that Psyonix said that they'd prevent Steam family share accounts from queuing in ranked playlists. That's how most smurf accounts worked (and still do work), since you can create as many free accounts as you want and just family share rocket league to that account for free.
While the season 3 patch did make it so that someone using a family shared account can't queue on their own, you can still do it in a party where the smurf account isn't leader.
Which is also how the 15 minute ranked bans for leaving work. You can still play ranked just fine with a friend.

In addition to that, Psyonix also said they'd implement a maximum rank difference for parties. So in theory a super champion wouldn't be able to play ranked with a rising star (I believe the rank difference is supposed to be 3 ranks, but I could be wrong). They haven't implemented this and by now it's far too late in my opinion. Smurf accounts are already in the top 10's.

It's called boosting friend, if I have a high ranked friend and I want my account to get higher up the ladder, I give him the info and he does the work. There is nothing they can do about that, other than watch ISP shifts and play techniques, it's an issue in all esport ranked play, rocket league is no different.

It's called boosting friend, if I have a high ranked friend and I want my account to get higher up the ladder, I give him the info and he does the work. There is nothing they can do about that, other than watch ISP shifts and play techniques, it's an issue in all esport ranked play, rocket league is no different.

No, Psyonix themselves have suggested ways that would severely limit boosting, as I've explained in the post you quoted. They just haven't implemented it.

Just as you would with Wasteland and Neo Tokyo I say.
Well, it's not like we have a choice? Bit of a redundant statement. Clearly people share the opinion I have where competitive should be kept as pure as possible.

How would something like the hockey mode be taken if it was added to the competitive playlist? Not very well, I imagine. Obviously it's going to be kept but given how glitchy Neo is and how BS Wasteland is from a skill-luck perspective it's frustrating to say the least.

No, Psyonix themselves have suggested ways that would severely limit boosting, as I've explained in the post you quoted. They just haven't implemented it.

Because they can't implement it fully, it's impossible. Unless they have bots or some great algorithm analyzing ISP connections per user profile, and play style, there is no way to stop it, all you can do is slightly limit. Which your post talked about, and I agreed with but also indicated that it is hardly a massive measure to stop other methods.

My explanation isn't talking about the family share groups in queue together.

My explanation isn't talking about the family share groups in queue together.

Then I'm not really sure what you mean.

The main way people boost themselves right now is they get a friend that's good at the game to create a new account, family share the game and queue with them. The new account isn't ranked, so if the person getting boosted is grand champion and he queues with a friend using a completely new account they'll face gold/blue opponents.
That's why the three accounts at the top of the 2v2 leaderboard right now are ''Psyonix fix the'', ''Ranking System Please'' and ''Oh my ****ing christmas''. It's a huge problem right now. Making it so that family shared accounts can't queue anymore would severely limit it and the maximum ranked difference for parties would pretty much stop it all together.

Would people still be able to buy new accounts and unfairly get matched up against lower ranked players? Yes, but they'd only be able to get up to where they belong in the leaderboards, not beyond that which is what is happening now.
Would a good player be able to queue up with a worse player and boost him to a higher rank? Only if they're within the maximum rank difference, but yeah sure.

Not saying there's a way to stop it entirely, but the family share thing is stupid right now. It's also why so many players have the ''Season 2 Grand Champion'' tag in game. A huge amount of those accounts are boosted.

Yes but I can give you my account info, and you can log in play for me (let's imagine you're a much higher rank) and then boost me. It's how people get up higher in multiple games; CS:GO, LoL, Dota and even Rocket league. This isn't something new, the way you've explained it is a more difficult way of circumventing and creating a brand new smurf account rather than using ones main account.

Yet smurfs buy accounts and play on lower ranked friend accounts all the time, as another way and I'd say safer and harder to crack down on. While your solutions stops the current popular trend it doesn't fix the other methods that happen, and why wont it? Because most of these players that are high ranking, usually are also high ranking in other games and see a trend from one mmo to another as far as ranking and player take overs of anthers account.

You'll never fix the smurf problem, and realistically do you think any esports game dev would? When you consider how much more money is made when one person on multiple accounts is buying skins and new content.

This isn't something new, the way you've explained it is a more difficult way of circumventing and creating a brand new smurf account rather than using ones main account.

It's far more effective though.
If I log into your account and play for you I can only get that account up to my skill level. If I was to make a smurf account and we partied up I could get your account beyond my own skill level, because the game thinks you're partying up with a complete newbie.

It's far more effective though.
If I log into your account and play for you I can only get that account up to my skill level. If I was to make a smurf account and we partied up I could get your account beyond my own skill level, because the game thinks you're partying up with a complete newbie.

Not necessarily, or even assured. Not sure where you got that from. In the scenario even in a family shared account setting with new users there is absolutely no way that you'd scale higher than the best player on your team. Ranked in anything doesn't work like that. Because chances are if you need to be boosted you're not at that level of play to start with, the game will set you up with what it's designed to do but wont ever give you more than you deserve.

In my experience that's how it has been but I don't play the game any more and I hardly play any of the other esport games due to other bigger issues. Like mass FPS drops and packet loss due to crowded servers.

Not necessarily, or even assured. Not sure where you got that from. In the scenario even in a family shared account setting with new users there is absolutely no way that you'd scale higher than the best player on your team. Ranked in anything doesn't work like that. Because chances are if you need to be boosted you're not at that level of play to start with, the game will set you up with what it's designed to do but wont ever give you more than you deserve.

In my experience that's how it has been but I don't play the game any more and I hardly play any of the other esport games due to other bigger issues. Like mass FPS drops and packet loss due to crowded servers.

Well I'm telling you that it does work like that and has since the game was released. The game takes your average rank and MMR and then tries to matchmake you with players it thinks are around the same level. If one of the players is ranked unfairly low they get easier games. I don't see how that's hard to believe, or do you assume that the game just takes the highest rated player in a party?

And are you implying that higher level players don't boost? Refer back to what I said about the top three 2v2 ranked players (and I'm not just pulling this out of my ass. Proof).

Well I'm telling you that it does work like that and has since the game was released. The game takes your average rank and MMR and then tries to matchmake you with players it thinks are around the same level. If one of the players is ranked unfairly low they get easier games. I don't see how that's hard to believe, or do you assume that the game just takes the highest rated player in a party?

And are you implying that higher level players don't boost? Refer back to what I said about the top three 2v2 ranked players (and I'm not just pulling this out of my ass. Proof).

Yeah I know how MMR works, it's the same way for all games in the mmo category, I've boosted people in games myself before where I have a decent ranking. If you don't think I can't boost a friend with just them giving me their account info, as easily as us making two new users, then I don't now what else to tell you

However, from your dialogue it seems to me that you're taking a conversation about ranked RL a bit to seriously as if I shouldn't have ever questioned you or your ass for that matter.

Finally I never said higher level players don't boost, quite the opposite. Also the game doesn't take the highest rated player, rather it balances out the mmr per game based on the average mmr for the team per queue. I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding going on here.

Yeah I know how MMR works, it's the same way for all games in the mmo category, I've boosted people in games myself before where I have a decent ranking. If you don't think I can't boost a friend with just them giving me their account info, as easily as us making two new users, then I don't now what else to tell you

However, from your dialogue it seems to me that you're taking a conversation about ranked RL a bit to seriously as if I shouldn't have ever questioned you or your ass for that matter.

Finally I never said higher level players don't boost, quite the opposite. Also the game doesn't take the highest rated player, rather it balances out the mmr per game based on the average mmr for the team per queue. I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding going on here.

I think there must be a misunderstanding as well, so here's a hypothetical situation.
Two players are at superstar level in 2v2s. These are the highest ranks they are able to achieve by playing together.
Now only one of the players has to make a family shared account and he plays ranked with his friend who is using his standard superstar account.
Since the family share account is completely new they'll face opponents that are around challenger level. These are easy games for the two superstars, so the one person that is using their standard account can now easily get beyond superstar level. This is what I'm talking about and is the main way people are boosting right now.

I think there must be a misunderstanding as well, so here's a hypothetical situation.
Two players are at superstar level in 2v2s. These are the highest ranks they are able to achieve by playing together.
Now only one of the players has to make a family shared account and he plays ranked with his friend who is using his standard superstar account.
Since the family share account is completely new they'll face opponents that are around challenger level. These are easy games for the two superstars, so the one person that is using their standard account can now easily get beyond superstar level. This is what I'm talking about and is the main way people are boosting right now.

But if they're already a super high ranked level then who cares. I'm talking about normal players getting boosted to MMR levels they don't deserve by utilizing a smurf friend or family member. Also I still don't see how they new account would just circumvent from challenger to a ranking higher than superstar, I don't see how the MMR is so broken that you just jump from challenger to grand champ...

Yes there is ways to skip tiers by playing well, but usually if play so well at a lower mmr, the system adjusts for this and give you players that are more your level. Thus if you're two superstars are playing challengers and wiping the floor, then at some point they'll be facing superstars again, and not just leap frog to grand champ. If you have documented proof this happens then that'd be great. What you showed me isn't such proof.

But if they're already a super high ranked level then who cares. I'm talking about normal players getting boosted to MMR levels they don't deserve by utilizing a smurf friend or family member. Also I still don't see how they new account would just circumvent from challenger to a ranking higher than superstar, I don't see how the MMR is so broken that you just jump from challenger to grand champ...

Yes there is ways to skip tiers by playing well, but usually if play so well at a lower mmr, the system adjusts for this and give you players that are more your level. Thus if you're two superstars are playing challengers and wiping the floor, then at some point they'll be facing superstars again, and not just leap frog to grand champ. If you have documented proof this happens then that'd be great. What you showed me isn't such proof.

In my hypothetical situation, the person getting boosted isn't the one that created the new account, it's the one using their standard account. There's no jumping from challenger to grand champ, you party up with someone using a smurf account, wipe the floor with your opponents for a while and when that smurf account reaches a level where you don't win games anymore you just create a new smurf account.

And how isn't what I showed you proof? How did two players that admit they don't belong in the top 10 get to the #1 and 2 position if they didn't abuse the system I'm talking about?

You said you don't play the game anymore, but in my experience boosting in the way that I'm describing it is a much bigger issue than having a friend play on your account for you.

Well then... I don't understand why they didn't already put the max rank cap between players in team in. Would already help a bit. (atleast)

LMS, Apok is a very experienced player in RL, and is explaining the main issue exactly like it is from what I can see.

JvM
Well then... I don't understand why they didn't already put the max rank cap between players in team in. Would already help a bit. (atleast)

LMS, Apok is a very experienced player in RL, and is explaining the main issue exactly like it is from what I can see.

I'm not disagreeing with it, I have as much experience with ranked play between this and several others game I'd say as he does with a single game. Smurfs are an issue in every series and unless you know the fixed ISP of each player then I don't see how you're going to dramatically decrease the problem all around.

I don't see what the issue is with me bring up valid other reasons of smurfing that he isn't talking about.
In my hypothetical situation, the person getting boosted isn't the one that created the new account, it's the one using their standard account. There's no jumping from challenger to grand champ, you party up with someone using a smurf account, wipe the floor with your opponents for a while and when that smurf account reaches a level where you don't win games anymore you just create a new smurf account.

This makes no sense, a smurf account is a high ranked player using a lower ranked account and playing at that level, so even if they were playing with a high level player on their main, how would the new account be a smurf? That's not a smurf that just boosting of a normal player.

As for your assessment, once again as I've said before, this happens all the time where people smurf and rise up to a point the no longer can. However you were talking about leap frogging your own skill level just by doing this which wouldn't be possible with any mmr regulated game, you said this in post 348, 350 and 352.

And how isn't what I showed you proof? How did two players that admit they don't belong in the top 10 get to the #1 and 2 position if they didn't abuse the system I'm talking about?

Because they clearly are better than they've given themselves credit? This isn't proof this is just one person either humbly or ignorantly doubting their ability when teaming up with another person they're use to playing with. Any dynamic queue system has this problem. Easy way to stop that is make it to where they're only paired up with other group efforts.

You said you don't play the game anymore, but in my experience boosting in the way that I'm describing it is a much bigger issue than having a friend play on your account for you.

Yeah I'm sure it is, that wasn't my point, to show who could find the bigger way to boost. My point is just because you eliminate one method doesn't mean the problem scales down any when other methods exist. It may fix the problem for a few months until people start selling accounts to high ranked players, or share accounts in other methods, then you'll be back here saying smurfs are terrible again.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/07/2...eague-update-to-be-announced-within-two-weeks

Anyway......... Major Rocket league update to be announced in two weeks. Any predictions of what it could contain? I been hearing talk about volleyball mode.

YOOO IM DOWN FOR A VOLLEYBALL MODE.

Calmer version: I don't know if I can handle it. I mean, I'm missing basic ball shots 60% of the time, and 95% of my "shots on goal" don't go for the goal. I don't know if I am even ready to begin doing aerial stuff.

Check the Reddit pages!

Edit: nononono

Some youtuber predicted some crate system. It could be that.

edit edit:

This was from a month ago:

Think there's a good chance it's some sort of volleyball?

Last edited:
So there is no volleyball mode. There is however a Rumble mode, which is the same soccer formula, but with weapons!

How comfortable are you guys with aerials and freestyling?

Performing aerials, and setups for aerials is quite challenging for me at this time. I have only put 20 hours into the game, and put 20% of that time in watching tutorials. I've been missing contact with the ball because I'm still bad at gauging my distance.

I'm over 200 hours into the game now, and here's how I've been coming along:

As long as they don't force the Rumble mode into the standard play. Have it separate like Hoops etc and it's fine. I will probably play it but I'd rather win/loss because I or the others were legitimately better rather than some superpower grabby claw.

Back