Round 3 Technical Discussion: Indy Road Course

• Thread starter Dr_Watson
  • 67 comments
Any top guys courageous enough to share splits?

I see that 26.1 is a pretty good time through the first sector...my quickest has been a 26.5 which I believe turn 1 is to blame for that. Hanging onto a 1.41.797 atm.

Well I am not the top to compare splits with, but I'm looking at a 1:40.7 theoretical with 26.10 - 24.65 - 20.20 - 16.85; I'm fairly confident my first and third sectors are both 1-2 tenths off pace.

Thanks for the responses! Yeah it does appear my 1st sector is 5-6 tenths off...need to find the time. I'll have to check the replay on the others.

It would appear so, Ill get the other sector posted at some point tonight

What do you guys think "optimal" time could be around here? I have not driven 'round here since day 1 but I gauged the best possible lap at 39.80xx judging from my different ghosts. Either no one is running this because the big chunks of time are at eiffel or the laps are already getting pretty nitty gritty, I have no clue to be honest.

I honestly think a 39.8xx is possible. About 5 times tonight I was green until turn 11 and ended with a 40.2xx. Got I 🤬 hate that corner.

My best splits show a high 39.6xx being possible 👍 But as usual, Indy is quite a tough track to string a near perfect lap together though. On my current 1:40.044 I had a decent run up to T3 and then had a bit of oversteer exiting the right hander onto the oval, which ended up costing me over a tenth on my previous PB.

I need to start working on Eifel when I get home from work today. Hopefully if everything goes smoothly there I will be able to come back to Indy sometime over the weekend to try and chip away those last few tenths. I really want that P1 @ Indy (or maybe overall...) in this last TT round :dopey:

P.S. I'm not really sure what my splits are tbh. I do know I've seen a few sub 26's @ T1 but that's about all I can recall atm.

I think you're missing a sector time.

last sector is the banking + straight, either going to be a 12.9xx or 13.00x; really isn't any time to be had there.

Thanks for the splits Conman. Good to know I am getting killed in sector 2; exactly where I thought I was.

Here's an ok ( :P ) lap 👍

Different car / physics / all I know, but some might find something useful there.

Good luck all. :cheers:

P.S. I'm not really sure what my splits are tbh. I do know I've seen a few sub 26's @ T1 but that's about all I can recall atm.

I hardly ever pay attention to my splits because I'm concentrating on my line 99% of the time, but I did see a 26.05x last night when I ran my 1:40.2xx.

I don't pay mind to the splits while driving. But I do have a nasty habit of being my own race engineer after I leave the driving chair.
I usually run a block of laps then take a break to decompress, let the replay run popping the splits into Excel which has formulas to find my fastest splits etc... so if I punch in a sector time that pops up green I know what I did that lap should be done every lap.
Been quite helpful in the No-Ghost era to have some scientific evidence to remove uncertainty.

I just watched Timeattacks replay and I am doing absolutely nothing different as far as shifting and racing lines go, I am just doing them all slower. I was really afraid I would see something drastic that I was doing wrong, its a little bit reassuring to know that I already knew the fastest way to go around the track. Now all I need to do is work on my car control and I can get my time down. His replay didn't show me anything I didn't already know, all it did was reassure me that I am taking the right line and shifting in the right areas.

I just watched Timeattacks replay and I am doing absolutely nothing different as far as shifting and racing lines go, I am just doing them all slower. I was really afraid I would see something drastic that I was doing wrong, its a little bit reassuring to know that I already knew the fastest way to go around the track. Now all I need to do is work on my car control and I can get my time down. His replay didn't show me anything I didn't already know, all it did was reassure me that I am taking the right line and shifting in the right areas.

How were you able to see the replay?

1.07 patch is out and the replay downloads are fixed. Should have remained the way it was throughout the whole 3rd round, if you cant run fast lines sucks for you, guess its back to playing follow the leader *shrugs*

1.07 patch is out and the replay downloads are fixed. Should have remained the way it was throughout the whole 3rd round, if you cant run fast lines sucks for you, guess its back to playing follow the leader *shrugs*

My best lap at Indy is a 1:41.7, so I thought to myself I must be doing something really wrong. I checked the replay, and I am not, I run a nice smooth lap and I have the same shift points and same line as Timeattack, I am just going slower, probably because I feel like I am going to lose the car if I push it. Watching his replay didn't teach me a new line, all it did was tell me I am already doing it right, I just need to do it faster.

My best lap at Indy is a 1:41.7, so I thought to myself I must be doing something really wrong. I checked the replay, and I am not, I run a nice smooth lap and I have the same shift points and same line as Timeattack, I am just going slower, probably because I feel like I am going to lose the car if I push it. Watching his replay didn't teach me a new line, all it did was tell me I am already doing it right, I just need to do it faster.
lol, my post wasnt aimed at you Motion or anyone in particular, and there's nothing wrong with assessing a faster driver's replay, i just think that it makes for better competition when you're only allowed to use your own replay as a ghost, downloading and reviewing a faster guy's replay is fine.

stupid update... why couldnt they have just waited till monday! lol oh well, i finally shaved half a second off my old time at indy, vtec just kicked in y0.

Can I pay one of you fast guys to come to my home and take turn 11 for me? I'll do all the driving up to that turn and take over after, but I need a little love right at the turn in, apex, and exit. :)

SpecMiata-JSW
Can I pay one of you fast guys to come to my home and take turn 11 for me? I'll do all the driving up to that turn and take over after, but I need a little love right at the turn in, apex, and exit. :)

I'll pay double what he is willing!

Haha. So is it just me or does this turn have some serious off-camber tilt towards the exit at the very outside of the turn?

Haha. So is it just me or does this turn have some serious off-camber tilt towards the exit at the very outside of the turn?

I think there are some bumps and it flattens out, making it feel off-camber. Either way, I know what you mean - it behaves like you are driving down hill...

Turn 11 is going to keep me out of the top 8.

Every lap that I'm ahead of my ghost, I'll cock up T11 and then it's bye-bye ghost and/or hello sand! Occasionally I'll get T11 right, but it's few and far between and when it does happen, I'm usually behind my ghost anyway. I'm fast at Indy, but this has just turned into a game of chance with T11 and this car's epically craptastic snap-oversteer.

well, I'm really good at turn 11 so I'll do 11 for you if you do 6 & 7 for me. ;)
I'm still getting burned there badly. started popping 26.02x in sector 1 though...

I just wasted another 45 laps at Indy trying to run a 39.9xx and couldn't manage to do it. Funny how I got the top spot in about 5 laps, and almost 100 laps later I can't seem to beat it. :P

I just wasted another 45 laps at Indy trying to run a 39.9xx and couldn't manage to do it. Funny how I got the top spot in about 5 laps, and almost 100 laps later I can't seem to beat it. :P

I know how you feel, except I'm trying to better a 40.5xx.

I'm beginning to suspect there is something fishy with the physics because I'll go out, post a quick lap (for me) on the first lap out and then struggle to even get below 41.xxx for 15-20 laps. Then I'll suddenly manage to pull off a 40.6xx. Then it's immediately back to struggling to get below 41. It's like the grip comes and goes at random.

I know how you feel, except I'm trying to better a 40.5xx.

I'm beginning to suspect there is something fishy with the physics because I'll go out, post a quick lap (for me) on the first lap out and then struggle to even get below 41.xxx for 15-20 laps. Then I'll suddenly manage to pull off a 40.6xx. Then it's immediately back to struggling to get below 41. It's like the grip comes and goes at random.

I can be pretty consistent, unless I bone the first turn past the free standing barrier.

Back