*Rumor* Gran Turismo 7 Prologue headed to PS4?

• Thread starter Zuku
  • 696 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have different feelings about this. I want to see what PD can do on the PS4, but don't want to pay for a prologue.

@nissman
Can people draw great sound on a blank canvas? That is the real question.

I really can't agree with people saying that GT7 is going to be very similar or even worse then GT6 after reading this article a while back about ''black canvas''.

https://www.gtplanet.net/kazunori-y...lank-canvas/comment-page-1/?replytocom=142489

Blank Canvas = New GT?
If I could pick one developer to have a game released in a demo form, but ONLY if community feedback is the sole purpose of its existence, it would be PD. The worst part of PD's development cycles is how they *think* they know their audience. They keep releasing new games while stating it's exactly what the fans want or it has things we have been asking for, when in reality, more often than not, that is totally not the case. Project Cars, for example, is a racing title done right. A BLANK CANVAS built side-by-side with the community. PCars is a Prologue I happily paid full price for, and unlike PD, I'll receive a copy of the full game when released. That form of development interaction between players and game makers is exactly what PD needs done. Kaz and the rest of the gang at Polyphony are visionaries. Kaz has a vision of GT is, and if that doesn't fit into your portrait then that's too bad. Gran Turismo, as a work of art, can be greatly appreciated and its very manifestation is extremely fascinating and intriguing. As a video game, however, that type of ideology simply doesn't roll. I can only hope that someday, PD realizes this.

Blank Canvas = New GT?
If I could pick one developer to have a game released in a demo form, but ONLY if community feedback is the sole purpose of its existence, it would be PD. The worst part of PD's development cycles is how they *think* they know their audience. They keep releasing new games while stating it's exactly what the fans want or it has things we have been asking for, when in reality, more often than not, that is totally not the case. Project Cars, for example, is a racing title done right. A BLANK CANVAS built side-by-side with the community. PCars is a Prologue I happily paid full price for, and unlike PD, I'll receive a copy of the full game when released. That form of development interaction between players and game makers is exactly what PD needs done. Kaz and the rest of the gang at Polyphony are visionaries. Kaz has a vision of GT is, and if that doesn't fit into your portrait then that's too bad. Gran Turismo, as a work of art, can be greatly appreciated and its very manifestation is extremely fascinating and intriguing. As a video game, however, that type of ideology simply doesn't roll. I can only hope that someday, PD realizes this.

This right here is technically how I've felt about both GT5 and GT6 :bowdown::cheers:

Anyways been reading a few pages I hope people realize what a rumor is, and honestly there is no release date on either Prolouge(if true) or GT7.

As of right now if GT7P were to come out later this year(as one person just said on Page 4 I believe) as I said a few pages back that might semi-confirm one of my worse fears that they'll abandon GT6 as is without all those promised features.

Again it's only a rumor and I think we should just treat it as such.

For those who dont understand the blank canvas thing...

PS3 is not only far less powerful than the PS4, but also was very complex to develop games for it. With the new PS4, developing a game is much easier and faster, because Sony made the system easy and simple just like the developers wanted.

With the PS4, not only GT7 will be far far beter in graphics, performance and everything, but also PD will develop it faster.

This right here is technically how I've felt about both GT5 and GT6 :bowdown::cheers:

Anyways been reading a few pages I hope people realize what a rumor is, and honestly there is no release date on either Prolouge(if true) or GT7.

As of right now if GT7P were to come out later this year(as one person just said on Page 4 I believe) as I said a few pages back that might semi-confirm one of my worse fears that they'll abandon GT6 as is without all those promised features.

Again it's only a rumor and I think we should just treat it as such.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who feels this way.
It's very easy to jump onto the bandwagon and assume things for right now, but it's very important to sometimes just sit back and see where the river goes. If my memory serves me correctly, PD had already started working on GT6 well before GT5 was even released to the market, so GT7 will not be the first game they have attempted to make before finishing current projects.

PD seems like a great team with lots of ideas and innovative minds, but their management is horrible. Much like an automobile, they are treating GT more like a project car than a commercial vehicle. They keep jumping around with new ideas and technology fitted left and right that they don't end up finishing anything right the first time. Had they actually spent the time to work on proper exhaust audio the first time around, we wouldn't have the fiasco vacuum fest GT is known for today. Gran Turismo needs to be re-made, not re-patched.

If GT7 - Prologue is, indeed, a way for Polyphony to communicate with their audience and for them to absorb all the feedback from the community, then I would happily support it and I'm sure most GT players would, as well. But if it's another attempt of squeezing cash out of an otherwise extremely loyal community, then they can keep their future titles to themselves and to those who still see them worthy of their hard-earned money. I, for one, would rather play Mario Kart 64.

For those who dont understand the blank canvas thing...

PS3 is not only far less powerful than the PS4, but also was very complex to develop games for it. With the new PS4, developing a game is much easier and faster, because Sony made the system easy and simple just like the developers wanted.

With the PS4, not only GT7 will be far far beter in graphics, performance and everything, but also PD will develop it faster.
GT3(arguably as it was my favorite)-GT6 proved TO ME that PD have lost sight of what made GT1+GT2 so great. Each game since then has become more and more scripted, linear, and closed off. I don't think hardware was to blame for that happening.
I don't agree with your implications that HARDWARE was the sole reason GT5+6 were underwhelming.
I'll be more than happy if GT7 proves me wrong.

GT3(arguably as it was my favorite)-GT6 proved TO ME that PD have lost sight of what made GT1+GT2 so great. Each game since then has become more and more scripted, linear, and closed off. I don't think hardware was to blame for that happening.
I don't agree with your implications that HARDWARE was the sole reason GT5+6 were underwhelming.

Exactly, the shortcomings of GT6 have absolutely nothing to do with hardware limitations (except for the AI maybe) but are due to poor game design choices and sloppy testing.

Exactly, the shortcomings of GT6 have absolutely nothing to do with hardware limitations (except for the AI maybe) but are due to poor game design choices and sloppy testing.
Well said :D Bad choices, the key of all drawbacks.

Thank you for saying that the 1200 cars that PD seems to hang their hat on is overblown so much considering as of right now I've only raced in only 50 vehicles so far.

I really believe if I ever finish GT6 Career mode or even race online I'll only crack maybe 200-400 cars at best.

I honestly think GT7 on the PS4 is going to be a massive jump just because then PD has more to work around in the PS4 rather than being pushing the PS3 to the limit.

But hey we will see what happens! 👍 PD always have some troubles like today in GT6, but they will take the time to get the job done! Just takes time! 👍

I honestly think GT7 on the PS4 is going to be a massive jump just because then PD has more to work around in the PS4 rather than being pushing the PS3 to the limit.

But hey we will see what happens! 👍 PD always have some troubles like today in GT6, but they will take the time to get the job done! Just takes time! 👍

My problem with that is we're saying it will be this massive jump wasn't GT on PS3 suppose to also be a massive jump. I understand the PS3 is hard to code for I seriously get it as it's been said over 10 gazillion times by many on this forum plus others, but with that said I just can't believe how much is left unfinished for GT on PS3, or that's how it feels in my mind.

One day I'm going to go back and play GT4 or even GT3 and realize just how much those two games literally squeezed the life out of the PS2. I guess what I'm really getting at is even though PD has said GT5 and 6 has pushed it too the limits saying is one thing seeing it is different.

When I think PS3 pushed to limits on video games I can see Batman Arkham City, Uncharted Series(as it progressed), GTA V(no matter how bad/good people think it is), Tomb Raider etc etc.

A lot of people thing that the PS3 and PS4 are somehow related to each other, they're not at all.

If you know about real programming then you'll know about why it's very different from platform to platform (whether you're writing for a PC, a console, a GPS unit, whatever).

If you do a bit of internet research you'll find plenty of interviews where developers talk about the difficulty of developing libraries for PS3 software, you'll also find plenty applauding the choice of x86 for next (this) gen.

Neither you nor I can actually say why GT6 has the problems it has but I certainly can't agree that the design is poor and nor can I prove that the testing was sloppy. Certainly the game doesn't feel that way when you assess the sum of its parts.

A Viper is a difficult car to drive but that doesn't mean it can't be fully utilized and mastered.
You had 10 years to fully utilize and master a system. Difficult programming stopped being a legitimate excuse after the first couple of years.
I truly believe PD gave up on fully pushing the PS3 when it came to developing GT6. They had GT7 and the PS4 in their sights long before GT6 came out.
If PS3 and PS4 are as different to develop for as TEO says, then it's safe to say they would have to use different techniques across both systems and likely focused on improving their skill at the PS4 rather than getting the most from the PS3.

I have no clue what I'm saying. :rolleyes::sly:

If PS3 and PS4 are as different to develop for as TEO says, then it's safe to say they would have to use different techniques across both systems and likely focused on improving their skill at the PS4 rather than getting the most from the PS3.

I have no clue what I'm saying. :rolleyes::sly:

Nah, it made sense :)

Certainly the graphical techniques will be very different, assigning development resources to different parts of the GT project must have been quite difficult.

I think GT6 pushes the PS3's envelope much further than GT5 did, Digital Foundry seem to agree. Certainly the tearing is vastly improved, its a shame that the framerate has suffered at times but since I drive mostly with "normal view" I don't get the same problems that some players do.

It sounds as though the PS3 hasn't been ideal at all in terms of software development, I think we'll see more developers making more progress more quickly with the PS4... hats off to PD for getting GT6 working on PS3 :D

It sounds as though the PS3 hasn't been ideal at all in terms of software development, I think we'll see more developers making more progress more quickly with the PS4... hats off to PD for getting GT6 working on PS3 :D
I think the new gen consoles will rely on cross platform ports more than ever before. I wonder if that will hurt the PS4 in the long run.

I think the new gen consoles will rely on cross platform ports more than ever before. I wonder if that will hurt the PS4 in the long run.

Wandering off-topic... but I think it will help. Development will be quicker and easier (and therefore cheaper). Ports won't be as bad as they used to be because they'll be easier to do. It's not inconceivable that the x86 platform (common to XB1 and PS4) could lead to multi-platform cloud gaming.

For all the grumbling about GT6 I think the majority of the wider gaming community will look back at it as a title that represented the final state of the PS3's art.

Wandering off-topic... but I think it will help. Development will be quicker and easier (and therefore cheaper). Ports won't be as bad as they used to be because they'll be easier to do. It's not inconceivable that the x86 platform (common to XB1 and PS4) could lead to multi-platform cloud gaming.

For all the grumbling about GT6 I think the majority of the wider gaming community will look back at it as a title that represented the final state of the PS3's art.
If the PS4 is indeed much stronger and easier to develop for than the XBONE, I wonder if they'll optimize all games for the xbone and port to ps4 or the other way around?

If the PS4 is indeed much stronger and easier to develop for than the XBONE, I wonder if they'll optimize all games for the xbone and port to ps4 or the other way around?

There's a third option... develop inside a limited x86 PC architecture and port to both. That's where the strength of the new platforms really lies.

A lot of people thing that the PS3 and PS4 are somehow related to each other, they're not at all.

If you know about real programming then you'll know about why it's very different from platform to platform (whether you're writing for a PC, a console, a GPS unit, whatever).

If you do a bit of internet research you'll find plenty of interviews where developers talk about the difficulty of developing libraries for PS3 software, you'll also find plenty applauding the choice of x86 for next (this) gen.

Neither you nor I can actually say why GT6 has the problems it has but I certainly can't agree that the design is poor and nor can I prove that the testing was sloppy. Certainly the game doesn't feel that way when you assess the sum of its parts.

I don't mean design choices in terms of software design or software architecture but the game as from the players perspective. What I mess specifically are things such as:

- the lack of options and limitations that are forced on us (SRF in license tests, limited capabilities of Arcade mode, etc. etc.)
- cumbersome set-up sheets (no copying of sheets, retiring to default, limitation to 3 sheets)
- uninspired career mode with very short races
- chase the rabbit races with ridiculous rubber band AI (even Shift 2 did a better job on that)
- lack of tire wear and fuel usage offline except for "endurance races"

Things like that are poor game design that show the lack of understanding of how a player actually uses the game. They have absolutely nothing to do with how had or easy a platform is to develop for.

If GT6 had very poor controls and physics (like Shift 2), the AI would seem much more of a challenge...

Okay what the... I never said what you quoted :confused: I do remember writing a post maybe half similar to this, but it was weeks ago in an entirely different thread :lol:

If GT6 had very poor controls and physics (like Shift 2), the AI would seem much more of a challenge...

Oh come on now. There is no argument the controls in Shift 2 were bad - they were what broke the game. I am not even going to argue if the AI was better. But the chase the rabbit races are are poor design choice in GT6.

Okay what the... I never said what you quoted :confused: I do remember writing a post maybe half similar to this, but it was weeks ago in an entirely different thread :lol:

It was actually me. Something went wring with quoting here.

I dont get what you are trying to say... I mean, every GT has been equally scripted/linear/whatever ... they just haven't changed a single bit. All GTs are about wining races > wining money > buying cars > wining races > wining money > buying cars. Is that what you mean? Too equal GT1 and GT6?
The PS3 complexity to develop games certainly is what caused the horrendous delays especially with GT5, and also they were too ambitious with the 1080p+60FPS and they had sooo many problems trying to achieve that, they even needed to enable "woeful shadows" mode because the PS3 couldn't really handle proper shadows.

I dont get what you are trying to say... I mean, every GT has been equally scripted/linear/whatever ... they just haven't changed a single bit. All GTs are about wining races > wining money > buying cars > wining races > wining money > buying cars. Is that what you mean? Too equal GT1 and GT6?
The PS3 complexity to develop games certainly is what caused the horrendous delays especially with GT5, and also they were too ambitious with the 1080p+60FPS and they had sooo many problems trying to achieve that, they even needed to enable "woeful shadows" mode because the PS3 couldn't really handle proper shadows.

As far as singleplayer goes, the main difference I see is the removal of practices, qualifying, and grid starts in favor of "quick race" chase the rabbit crap. Otherwise the structure/layout has remained very much the same like you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back