Rumors on the NEXT Gran Turismo

• Thread starter xxy98cn
  • 404 comments

When do you think the next game in the Gran Turismo series will launch?

• Q1 2020

• Q2 2020

• Q3 2020

• Q4 2020

• Q1 2021

• Q2 2021

• Q3 2021

• Q4 2021

• Q1 2022

• Q2 2022

• Q3 2022

• Q4 2022

• 2023 or later

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm fairly certain that PD are developing GT7 right now, there's no doubt about it. However if the PS5 is due to be released in a year, then surely we'd be seeing something from them now? I mean, GT Sport was announced 2 years before it was released, but then again the game was slated for a release in November 2016. That wasn't going to happen, as the game was nowhere close to being complete. I wonder how hard Sony are pushing PD to get the game together, because if they're serious about making GT7, they'd be working pretty hard on it right now. Sport was a fun but somewhat controversial experiment and this next game better be a return to form. But are people still willing to grind through a career mode like that of GT3 and GT4? I know I would, but this rhetoric may not be echoed by everyone. GTPlanet is a small fraction of the total GT playerbase, so catering just for us won't make a strong business case. However, the low Sport Mode participation rates suggest that people are ready for proper single-player experience.

Normally I would agree with the people saying GT7 won't be a launch title because after all this is PD we are talking about but after seeing how they did GTS I'm not so sure about that anymore.
The one main thing GTS showed all of us was that GT games no longer have to be completed before they are released not even close to it.
This is something I thought most people would not tolerate but to my surprise it had the complete opposite effect and the majority of players today seemed to embrace that approach.

So I feel anyone saying that GT7 could not be a launch title for the PS5 still has the belief that the game must be near completion for that to happen. I fully expect GT7 to be no where near completion when its released and it will continue to receive monthly updates until it is just like GTS.
Like I said To many people embraced this approach for GTS for this not to become the norm on every GT title now from here on out.

I'm fairly certain that PD are developing GT7 right now, there's no doubt about it. However if the PS5 is due to be released in a year, then surely we'd be seeing something from them now? I mean, GT Sport was announced 2 years before it was released, but then again the game was slated for a release in November 2016. That wasn't going to happen, as the game was nowhere close to being complete.
Sony haven’t shown any 1st Party PS5 software. There’s stuff that’s been in development for 2-3 years. Rumoured we’ll see a PS5 reveal early in the New Year. I’m assuming that’s when they’ll show software too. With further details at E3.

I'm fairly certain that PD are developing GT7 right now, there's no doubt about it. However if the PS5 is due to be released in a year, then surely we'd be seeing something from them now? I mean, GT Sport was announced 2 years before it was released, but then again the game was slated for a release in November 2016. That wasn't going to happen, as the game was nowhere close to being complete. I wonder how hard Sony are pushing PD to get the game together, because if they're serious about making GT7, they'd be working pretty hard on it right now. Sport was a fun but somewhat controversial experiment and this next game better be a return to form. But are people still willing to grind through a career mode like that of GT3 and GT4? I know I would, but this rhetoric may not be echoed by everyone. GTPlanet is a small fraction of the total GT playerbase, so catering just for us won't make a strong business case. However, the low Sport Mode participation rates suggest that people are ready for proper single-player experience.
You realise you can go through GT-mode one race at a time outside a handful championships? There isn't and never has been a time sink requirement from the games other than the one you bring yourself. Look at battle passes for time sinks.

In my view, Kaz should be made to play GT2 for ages before designing GT7.

I really think sony will give us a trailer and a release date early this year if the rumors are true about the event in february.

I really think sony will give us a trailer and a release date early this year if the rumors are true about the event in february.
Does this suggest that the next GT will also be a launch title?

He's got this from the PS5 paste bin leak https://pastebin.com/ryZSdCix

Few things I wanna add to this I'm going to use GTA VI but it goes pretty much the same for GT7 seen as both take a lot of time to develop

I can't see GTA VI being a PS5 launch title Rockstar Games like to hype the hell out of GTA and market the game for around 2 years it gives them time to take in pre orders plaster artwork all over buildings, subways, trains, buses, all over the world TV, internet ads ect...

how can all this be done in under a year?

I think GT7 like GTA won't be a launch title and most likely to come in 2022 2023 after Sony as patched all the bugs and glitches with the PS5

Last thing as much as i'd want both these games to be next gen PS4 as sold over 100 million units so both could cash in and remaster it for PS5 1 to 2 years after release

GTA V was released on 17th Sep 2013
PS4 was released on 15th Nov 2013
GT6 was released on 6th Dec 2013

So this is not so far fetched

The closest we've gotten a launch title GT game was Gran Turismo HD 24th Dec 2006 and PS3 Nov 11th 2006

Last edited:

Few things I wanna add to this I'm going to use GTA VI but it goes pretty much the same for GT7 seen as both take a lot of time to develop

I can't see GTA VI being a PS5 launch title Rockstar Games like to hype the hell out of GTA and market the game for around 2 years it gives them time to take in pre orders plaster artwork all over buildings, subways, trains, buses, all over the world TV, internet ads ect...

I think GT7 like GTA won't be a launch title and most likely to come in 2022 2023 after Sony as patched all the bugs and glitches with the PS5

Last thing as much as i'd want both these games to be next gen PS4 as sold over 100 million units so both could cash in and remaster it for PS5 1 to 2 years after release

Fake and...

The closest we've gotten a launch title GT game was Gran Turismo HD 24th Dec 2006 and PS3 Nov 11th 2006
As far as it's concerned, R* never said that they would launch the next GTA after this year ends.

In case of GT7, just wondering how they would handle 2 Games, one to produce(GT7) and one maintain(GTS)...
Do they have enough People to work on both titles...????

Rumours are there and saying that GT7 will be launch title for the PS5.

Does this suggest that the next GT will also be a launch title?

It doesn´t but all of us are only giving our thoughs about it, and like someone mentioned already if PD keeps the policy of updating the game like they are doing with GT sport for shure it´s possible to deliver the game has a ps5 launch title and update it along the way, has a full title launch will be hard to make it possible but ho knows how PD improved methods, we are not in ps1/ps2/ps3 era anymore.

New rumors sugest that at CES 2020 next week sony will shows something about ps5 but like all rumors and this one most likely it´s caused by the hype arround new generation consoles.
Anyway 2020 arrived and with it a new cicle of news will come in next months so the wait it´s almost over and rumors will translate into real info.

It doesn´t but all of us are only giving our thoughs about it, and like someone mentioned already if PD keeps the policy of updating the game like they are doing with GT sport for shure it´s possible to deliver the game has a ps5 launch title and update it along the way, has a full title launch will be hard to make it possible but ho knows how PD improved methods, we are not in ps1/ps2/ps3 era anymore.

New rumors sugest that at CES 2020 next week sony will shows something about ps5 but like all rumors and this one most likely it´s caused by the hype arround new generation consoles.
Anyway 2020 arrived and with it a new cicle of news will come in next months so the wait it´s almost over and rumors will translate into real info.
Okay very well.

So I feel anyone saying that GT7 could not be a launch title for the PS5 still has the belief that the game must be near completion for that to happen. I fully expect GT7 to be no where near completion when its released and it will continue to receive monthly updates until it is just like GTS.
Like I said To many people embraced this approach for GTS for this not to become the norm on every GT title now from here on out.

Fyi, because I have knowledge in this, games are often in shambles until very late in the process. There's so many moving parts that many elements stay on their own branch for a while so as not to create time killing bugs.

"Complete" is a term that is very flexible in this day and age. It's actually a bad thing to release a truly complete game. Too many features can overwhelm players, especially considering that a huge number of people still buy games, play for a week, and then move on, never touching key features.

So, you release with higher priority features and add more over time.

As for being a launch title. Why couldn't it be a launch title? It's already being shown in 8k running on dev gear.

I don't recall there being a lot of effort being put into a new driving model, so it's likely just a process of creating 8k quality artwork.

In case of GT7, just wondering how they would handle 2 Games, one to produce(GT7) and one maintain(GTS)...
PD can handle 2 games until late in 2021 when GT7 will fully take over from GT Sport.

As for being a launch title. Why couldn't it be a launch title? It's already being shown in 8k running on dev gear.

I don't recall there being a lot of effort being put into a new driving model, so it's likely just a process of creating 8k quality artwork.
The fact that they've been able to operate GT Sport on a PS5 dev kit is a good sign. It indicates that the development process will be bit more straight forward compared to GT5. PD therefore has a solid base to work with, which *should* allow them to deliver a PS5 launch title.

But it wasn't the case before when PD released GT6 for the PS3 back then. They shut down the servers for GT5 immediately after its release.
That’s a good point. On GT6, they didn’t even finish up with the VGT program. But then again that could have something to do with the manufactures and not PD themselves.

That’s a good point. On GT6, they didn’t even finish up with the VGT program. But then again that could have something to do with the manufactures and not PD themselves.
Yeah, and GT6 servers shut down too months after GT Sport was released in 2017. So the same thing will happen again most likely once GT7 is out in the future.

Yeah, and GT6 servers shut down too months after GT Sport was released in 2017. So the same thing will happen again most likely once GT7 is out in the future.
No, the GT6 server was shutdown on March 28th 2018, and that is over 5 months after release of GT Sport.

GT5 server shutdown on April 30th 2014, and that is over 4 months after GT6 was released.

Last edited:
No, the GT6 server was shutdown on March 28th 2018, and that is over 5 months after release of GT Sport.

GT5 server shutdown on April 30th 2014, and that is over 4 months after GT6 was released.
That's what I said earlier; months after it was released.

An already released (very big) PS4 AAA1st Party title is being updated and expanded for PS5’s launch. It isn’t GT Sport, but it makes me wonder, just what Sony has in store for their other titles.

There are three options with GT Sport. We could get standard Backwards Compatibility. A basic update with higher resolution and graphical improvements. Or a more comprehensive update to take full advantage of PS5.

The latter is only really viable if GT7 is more than a year off PS5’s launch.

The Law of Diminishing Returns is at play.

Every console cycle brings with it a smaller leap in technological advancement. Decades back, it was foreseen that streaming games was going to be the future and we are seeing this become the case. If you look at GT Sport, the graphics are pretty good with (IMHO) lighting being the big item that doesn't quite achieve an acceptable level of realism.

The point is, the big components of GT Sport can be carried over. The menu system, single player structure, a lot of car models, even the physics. They may be working with Michelin on a better tire model, but that seems to be a component within the physics that can be swapped without having to rewrite everything.

Looking at how often MS gets Forza out, it's hard for me to believe that the GT process is slowed down by anything other than Sony's whims. I honestly believe that GT was going to be killed off before GT Sport came along, and Sport Mode has been so successful that it has reinvigorated interest in the title. I can totally see it not only be a launch title, but see it as a showcase for what PS5 will be able to do.

And who knows? Maybe it will be on both PS4 and PS5 showcasing some kind of shared player based ability.

The Law of Diminishing Returns is at play.

Every console cycle brings with it a smaller leap in technological advancement. Decades back, it was foreseen that streaming games was going to be the future and we are seeing this become the case. If you look at GT Sport, the graphics are pretty good with (IMHO) lighting being the big item that doesn't quite achieve an acceptable level of realism.

The point is, the big components of GT Sport can be carried over. The menu system, single player structure, a lot of car models, even the physics. They may be working with Michelin on a better tire model, but that seems to be a component within the physics that can be swapped without having to rewrite everything.

Looking at how often MS gets Forza out, it's hard for me to believe that the GT process is slowed down by anything other than Sony's whims. I honestly believe that GT was going to be killed off before GT Sport came along, and Sport Mode has been so successful that it has reinvigorated interest in the title. I can totally see it not only be a launch title, but see it as a showcase for what PS5 will be able to do.

And who knows? Maybe it will be on both PS4 and PS5 showcasing some kind of shared player based ability.
When it comes to carrying things over to GT7. I think it will be the fundamentals like car/track models, physics etc. The actual game structure, single-player CaRPG etc. are going to be the big changes.

When Driveclub was in development Evolution asked to use the Gran Turismo name. As events panned out Evolution was shuttered and we’ve seen PD seemingly get a bigger budget. That’s if we go by the continued support, more manufacturer partnerships, new/updated studios, outsourcing, ever more ambitious FIA events etc.

Sony and PD knew GT Sport wasn’t ready for launch in terms of content. This is reflected in the more subdued marketing. These last 12-18 months things have picked up. Sony know they need a top tier driving title. A title that can also become a service and big Esports title.

When it comes to carrying things over to GT7. I think it will be the fundamentals like car/track models, physics etc. The actual game structure, single-player CaRPG etc. are going to be the big changes.

Why would you think this is something that is going to slow them down?

the items you name as big changes are the easiest parts of development. There could literally be nothing on that front at the moment, and it could still be at a high level of polish by the time PS5 launches.

But there is something. There's all the titles that came before, so that structure will likely be carried over.

Sony and PD knew GT Sport wasn’t ready for launch in terms of content. This is reflected in the more subdued marketing. These last 12-18 months things have picked up. Sony know they need a top tier driving title. A title that can also become a service and big Esports title.

I don't understand why people say things like "Gt Sport wasn't ready for launch". Did it work? Was it a functioning game that could be played by millions of people? Yes...yes it was, ergo, it was ready.

Contrast that to many other games that have game killing bugs in them and are full of features, but are also essentially unplayable. THOSE are games that are not ready.

Adding content over time IS the way games are planned now. It's been that way for a long time. The reason is simple, why put a ton of money into developing content if you don't get the audience? You invest a safe amount and then you add in content partly as a way of rewarding the faithful and partly to keep the ball rolling for the next game. Content that comes after launch is more about marketing than it is about development.

Love it. Reason being, Kaz said they did record track surfaces. This will be a Gran Turismo changer, if PD can do away with multipliers.

Back