Same cars over and over and over and over

• Thread starter nocdevon
  • 87 comments
I just decided if you cant beat them join them. I assure you I didn't want to but it's no fun racing your tits off just to be overtaken on straights like you're not moving.
I started using a scirocco I was gifted and it is honestly like cheating. I was cruising past other cars on the straights no problem. I started 4th at Suzuka, was up to first by half way through the first lap. Cocked up the first degner on lap 2 and went for a trip to the gravel. Ended up 9th. Made my way back to 3rd without any trouble. 1st and 2nd were also in Scirocco's.
I did it, it wasn't fun, felt like cheating but what choice do we have until they are properly Bop'd.
I entered a race with my beloved M4 and finished 11th, whole top ten were in scirocco's or megane's.
And I kept passing them in the turns only to be blown past, and rammed, on the straights. No fun at all. Must be how Sauber drivers feel lol.

The FWD stuff wasn't unbeatable at Suzuka in the Vette, but it's very hard work and you HAD to qualify near the front as they are almost impossible to pass if they don't make a major mistake.

If you get in front, you can can beat them using better entry/mid-corner/exit speed, but you will need to employ strong defending tactics in to corners after a long straight.

Still could do with a BOP adjustment.

So the Ferrari or the Mclaren is at the same level (in terms of lap times) with the Beetle in most -if not all- of the tracks for example?
I'm not sure what you're implying, the Ferrari at least can outpace the Beetle in the right hands for sure, and I don't think the Mclaren is weak in gr.3 at all honestly.

The FWD stuff wasn't unbeatable at Suzuka in the Vette, but it's very hard work and you HAD to qualify near the front as they are almost impossible to pass if they don't make a major mistake.

If you get in front, you can can beat them using better entry/mid-corner/exit speed, but you will need to employ strong defending tactics in to corners after a long straight.

Still could do with a BOP adjustment.
Or more accelerated tyre wear.

It's not something that can be changed so easily, as it's part of the meta. Leaderboards and lack of imagination is the real culprit here.

Hopefully there will be some new systems in place that will benefit you if you decide to stay with certain cars. Some kind of "underdog system" where you get more cash if you perform well with low tier cars.

I'm not sure what you're implying, the Ferrari at least can outpace the Beetle in the right hands for sure, and I don't think the Mclaren is weak in gr.3 at all honestly.

Its simple:Take the 458,the Mclaren and the Beetle in all tracks yourself and do the same amount of laps with those cars.Are you going to get "similar" (within 00:00.300) time or is one of those gonna give you a much better time that the others?
Because I did that test (not in all tracks to be fair) with and without BoP and the results were....really funny.Let me put it that way:Without BoP some were clearly faster than others.With BoP the only thing that happend was to turn the table around and for sure did not bring balance to the class.

Reminds me of STCC, back in the days before they switched to silhouette cars. The front wheel drive cars usually had an advantage at the beginning of the race, but as they gradually wore out the front tyres, the rear wheel drive cars got the advantage at the end of the race. Made for some interesting race dynamics.

Its simple:Take the 458,the Mclaren and the Beetle in all tracks yourself and do the same amount of laps with those cars.Are you going to get "similar" (within 00:00.300) time or is one of those gonna give you a much better time that the others?
Because I did that test (not in all tracks to be fair) with and without BoP and the results were....really funny.Let me put it that way:Without BoP some were clearly faster than others.With BoP the only thing that happend was to turn the table around and for sure did not bring balance to the class.
Days of OP Herbie are gone seems like, now the problem is GT3 class is the Porsche, after patch on locked setups it goes like 1 second faster than anything else.

I've been thinking about it. In reality there are always OP cars too. Just that in real life not everyone can choose to use them.
Look at F1, no one can doubt Hamiltons ability, but by fook that car is OP lol.

Maybe the problem isn't Bop, it's that everyone can choose the same cars if they wish. We should lock the field to a maximum of two of each car or only allow certain people access to certain cars. But that's not gonna work at all is it.

I'll go back to just thinking.

Whilst it would be better if the cars were more equal with the Bop settings, a very good close race can be had using the same cars, as then it should just be about driver skill, which some people like. A good solution to try and please everyone, would be to have the options of a tuning allowed daily race and a Bop daily race each day for Gr.3 and Gr.4, as mentioned elsewhere already.

I've been thinking about it. In reality there are always OP cars too. Just that in real life not everyone can choose to use them.
Look at F1, no one can doubt Hamiltons ability, but by fook that car is OP lol.

Maybe the problem isn't Bop, it's that everyone can choose the same cars if they wish. We should lock the field to a maximum of two of each car or only allow certain people access to certain cars. But that's not gonna work at all is it.

I'll go back to just thinking.

F1 does not use BoP mate.So the more money you spend the better car you'll have (as a manufacturer) -add the "ability" of that manufacturer to actually produce the best their money allow-.I've wrote it in another threat:in F1 almost every drive have the ability to compete for a championship but only two drivers have the car in order to do so -at least these past few years-.
BoP is a system that try to make cars equal in terms of lap times (or better said as close as possible -within 00:00.3xx or less if I am not mistaken,for GT3 Blancpain at least-).Its not that easy to do and there is a lot of talk about BoP in GT3 or FIA WEC for example.
Thats why when I want to "test" BoP -in game- I test the cars myself and not by just looking at boards or what others are using.If I can do similar lap times with GR3 cars then BoP is in a good place.If I see 10-15 sec difference -or more- (with BoP on) using different cars in Green Hell -example- then I know that its BoP that doing that and not my "style" or driving.When you change only one varaible (car) and you get a big difference in the result (lap time)the car/BoP is the main reason.And in this case the BoP is not working,making many people choose to use the cars that are clearly stronger than others.

So the Ferrari or the Mclaren is at the same level (in terms of lap times) with the Beetle in most -if not all- of the tracks for example?
I can't speak to your region, but there is drastically more representation in the GR.3 cars per track, yes some are better than others - but comparing the GR.3 balance situation to the GR.4 where we are almost exclusively on FF cars right now is ridiculous.

It's also much easier to balance GR.3 when all of the cars are RWD.

I can't speak to your region, but there is drastically more representation in the GR.3 cars per track, yes some are better than others - but comparing the GR.3 balance situation to the GR.4 where we are almost exclusively on FF cars right now is ridiculous.

It's also much easier to balance GR.3 when all of the cars are RWD.

I agree with your opinion.But if we are talking about BoP we should test and see if it actually works.We dont need to just check "time-boards" -Top 10 cars variaty.I just take the cars and do the same laps in the same track under the same condition with BoP on.
Close times -since I am not an alien- means BoP is in a good place.But from the tests I did that is not the case -especially in GR4 category-.If other people do the same and have different results then its perhaps only my "style".If not,then BoP is in a bad place.

I agree with your opinion.But if we are talking about BoP we should test and see if it actually works.We dont need to just check "time-boards" -Top 10 cars variaty.I just take the cars and do the same laps in the same track under the same condition with BoP on.
Close times -since I am not an alien- means BoP is in a good place.But from the tests I did that is not the case -especially in GR4 category-.If other people do the same and have different results then its perhaps only my "style".If not,then BoP is in a bad place.

I mean, why not use the top times?
I know that I drive FR cars GR.3 cars better than MR.
I also prefer how the Atenza drives compared to the Megane or the Viper - so naturally I'll do "better" in cars I have more experience in and am more comfortable with.
However, if the top 10 drivers are all relatively even skilled, and they're putting up times in a bunch of different cars isn't that a good sign?

I mean, why not use the top times?
I know that I drive FR cars GR.3 cars better than MR.
I also prefer how the Atenza drives compared to the Megane or the Viper - so naturally I'll do "better" in cars I have more experience in and am more comfortable with.
However, if the top 10 drivers are all relatively even skilled, and they're putting up times in a bunch of different cars isn't that a good sign?

Yes it is a good sign.
But should BoP (if its in a good state) work the same for everyone?If yes then there should be no huge lap difference using different cars.Only a "small" one depending on the track,because of the reasons you wrote (personal experience/preference.)
If you do a lap in Green Hell and get 20 sec per lap difference then BoP is not working no matter what car you prefer.I would accept 5-7 sec (maybe) but not more that that.From my own testing BoP is not that good.If others can provide different results then I'll accept its me and not BoP.

One thing people may not take into account is that BoP is not a universal concept. I don't like driving FF's for the most part so I've never really worked on my driving style with them so I may not reach my full potential with them. Therefore, even if the absolute limits of an FF, FR and MR are identical, it doesn't mean each driver is going to perform identically in each car.

But what is not working is the matchmaking apparently in conjunction with the BOP. If driver "A" turns a 2.06.04 lap in the OP Scirocco and driver "B" turns a 2.06.4 lap in the rear wheel drive Jag and both drivers are turning lap times that are realistically close to their qualifying times then even though the driver in the overpowered and easier to drive Scirocco may be slower driving the Jag than the "B" driver they should be "matched together" due to the cars differences in BOP performance.

That is one reason that you should have to qualify and race the same car you qualify in daily. Again in daily races your fastest lap within a race if faster than your qualifying time should become your qualifying time for the rest of that day to prevent sandbagging during qualifying to get matched into easier lobbies and race slower competition making top finishes or starting spots more easier to obtain .

No qualifying time racers should only be placed in a race with other non qualifiers. If you cannot spend 5 minutes to set a q time then you should only race against those that do the same.

Another thing is if stats are showing certain cars to be dominating the leader boards times and top 5 finishing positions in the daily races during matchmaking those cars should be the slower of the cars within a given lobby.

The daily races matchmaking using the DR and SR ratings and qualifying times are nothing but a "bop" for the drivers in the races and it is pretty plain that is not working correctly either. If a car is 2.5 seconds a lap faster than other cars then if the matchmaking was set to stricter standards then those cars with those times should not be in the same race.

I have seen lobbies where the times were differences of 14 seconds a lap between the top guys and the slowest racer. I have been in a fair number of races where the top two in the lobby are over 2 seconds a lap faster than the guy in third much less the rest of the field. Regardless of how screwed up the bop is the end result should still be races with the cars running close to the same lap times on the track but that is not currently happening.

Tried out the Audi TT Cup for the Dragon Trail daily race and I put in quicker and more consistent lap times right away. It is a lot lighter than both the WRX and especially the Viper that I previously used. Went from getting mid 1:48s to low 47s almost instantly, now running in the 46s.

Last edited:
Back