Scotland-Based 'Ideal' Racing Circuit Coming to Assetto Corsa This Year

Yea I have a really nice gaming laptop that generally works great, but every other time I turn it on there are problems, almost always Windows related. I spend more time googling how to fix things and get my game running smoothly again than I spend actually playing.

Reminds me of 1999 where drivers had to be installed via device manager. Some via DOS and exbat?

WickedGL was fun days.

Reminds me of 1999 where drivers had to be installed via device manager. Some via DOS and exbat?

WickedGL was fun days.
Seems like back in the day I was never left helpless, and that was before online search engines could tell you much. I was probably just more patient and interested.

Last edited:
I think this track looks amazing in the newest clip, i wonder how long it actually is. I think i have a weakness for these really long open road tracks... BCC was good but i didnt like the setting. Highlands looks better in my view. Amalfi was cool in GT6, too. I think we need more open road tracks like this. The longer they are, the better. How about a 45 km long track around german roads and autobahn? ;)

I think this track looks amazing in the newest clip, i wonder how long it actually is. I think i have a weakness for these really long open road tracks... BCC was good but i didnt like the setting. Highlands looks better in my view. Amalfi was cool in GT6, too. I think we need more open road tracks like this. The longer they are, the better. How about a 45 km long track around german roads and autobahn? ;)

The engine is limited in how long the tracks can be before issues start popping up. Has something to do with the draw distances I believe. Not sure what the limit is but 45km might be too much. Though Lake Louise accomplishes it somehow.

I'll settle for this:
Before I turn on a PC with intent to play a video game upon it.

My tolerance for having to tinker has completely evaporated along with any free time to do so. The last time I turned on old lappy, my family had to take refuge in the basement for fear of being blinded and seared by the white-hot rage that emanated from me.

Get a gaming laptop so you don't need to build it yourself.
Install Windows 7.
Get Steam and it does all the hard work for you.
Profit 👍

To be frank I used to be the same as you, thinking PCs are too complicated and prefers the convenience of consoles. But unless you want to get into the nitty gritty stuff of hacking and modding it's actually really easy now with clients like Steam. Most of the problem I've had is due to Windows 10 being...well, Windows 10. But all that shouldn't be a concern if you stick with Win7.

It can get frustrating sometimes, but the ability to fully customize what you are playing, instead of being dictated by Sony/MS how they WANT you to play, I think that's worth the little trouble. If anything, just think of setting up computers as another life skill to have like cooking, gardening, etc.

A new 3min video of the Scotland location courtesy of Marco Massarutto. Looks fun and very fast at least in this configuration. It is the longest layout with the others being Town, Standard and Drift.

This is what I hate about Assetto Corsa AI (probably other AI systems too, but I only have experience with AC & GT6). As soon as the race starts you can jump out in front of 5 or 6 cars just by driving between them. Or, on wider tracks go around them. Yes, Marco is driving a Ferrari 488, but there are 911 GT3 RS's, Aventador SV's, etc. out there in front of him and they're being passed like they're standing still.

I get that the 488 could blow past the Lotuses on the road. Don't know why they're their in the first place, but that's a different matter. Anyway, that's just a big pet peeve of mine. There has got to be a way to improve the starting launch for AI drivers. Yes, I know that there are exceptions. I've seen the video of the GT Academy winner blowing past 10+ cars on Monza, etc... It shouldn't be possible almost every single race though.

The AI is rubbish at late braking. Think that happens with every game yet they rip the time out of the corners.

Get a gaming laptop so you don't need to build it yourself.
Install Windows 7.
Get Steam and it does all the hard work for you.
Profit 👍
Really things weren't too bad until Windows 10. Boy I regret that. I had 7, yes :(

I have a decent MSI gaming laptop, really only use it for CSGO anymore. But I do have about 12 gigs of Richard Burns Rally + mods, for example, so I know what potential is out there. I've been modding games since 1995! :lol: This probably sounds to you like someone saying to me "after all these years driving stick shift, I just want a car with an automatic transmission," which is preposterous.. but I really appreciate the ease and simplicity that come with console confinement.

Really things weren't too bad until Windows 10. Boy I regret that. I had 7, yes :(

I have a decent MSI gaming laptop, really only use it for CSGO anymore. But I do have about 12 gigs of Richard Burns Rally + mods, for example, so I know what potential is out there. I've been modding games since 1995! :lol: This probably sounds to you like someone saying to me "after all these years driving stick shift, I just want a car with an automatic transmission," which is preposterous.. but I really appreciate the ease and simplicity that come with console confinement.
Assetto Corsa is the only game I play, but the process couldn't possibly be more simple, if you have even the most basic understanding of using a Microsoft Windows computer. I'm on an MSI laptop as well. HDMI cable from laptop to TV and that's it. The only reason I used a PS3 was to play GT6. That thing is just a dust collector now as I removed the SSD from the PS3 and slapped it into this laptop so I could have 2 SSD drives. Nice and quiet. 👍

I'm incredibly excited to try this new Scotland-based course. I hope it's got a nice flow to it. Black Cat County could have been a home run. Perhaps Kunos didn't put as much effort into it, since it was a client request to showcase their cars - were the clients looking for an environment that wouldn't take focus away from their vehicles? Finally, has anyone seen Black Cat County out in the wild being used by any Assetto Corsa Pro clients?

This is what I hate about Assetto Corsa AI (probably other AI systems too, but I only have experience with AC & GT6). As soon as the race starts you can jump out in front of 5 or 6 cars just by driving between them. Or, on wider tracks go around them.

Yeah, it does kinda suck. I've trained myself to basically just hold station through the first few corners to let them get themselves sorted before I start attacking. If you do that, the rest of the race can actually be really fun.

@BrandonW77 excellent advice, I usually do even lap race because the first half lap the AI pace is always a little off.
For braking distance in some case, I usually choose lesser tyre, so I end up braking the same as AI. The goal is to have an entertaining and believable race with the AI. It takes a little efforts but when done right there is a lot of fun possible with AC AI. Once they are in the groove they race very convincingly.
I don't know how much better Kunos can make them and it does not worry me as they already are good enough for me to have hours of fun.

I'm happy if I just keep my position on a start. I lose position more oftern than gain them. Perhaps my inability to select a gear before the lights go out has something to do with that (PS4)?

I used to pass loads of AI cars just by staying in the middle if the track when the game first came out. I haven't been able to do that for a while though.

I just finished writing a post on the PS4/XBOX 1 thread talking about how I wait for the 1st or 2nd corner to finish before I "start trying". It sounds strange, but I do agree with Brandon & Cote Dazur, for some reason it seems to take the AI some time to get everything together. After that, the racing is always fantastic for me. I'm going to start stretching it out, Cote Dazur, to see how things go if I wait to approximately half of the first lap is over before I go Red Ross on the field. :lol:

Generally, I am very happy with the AI. There are small things here and there, like this race starting thing, that could use improvement. I think it was v1.7 where the AI was at its best as far as driving smarts, even with these little issues. It's things like this where Kunos could benefit greatly by having additional PC developers to work on improvements and optimization, etc. while Stefano continues advancing the game forward. Perhaps we'll see that happen now that they'll be overseen by Digital Bros. While I have no doubt everything will continue as Marco says, at least for the foreseeable future, Digital Bros. didn't buy Kunos for Assetto Corsa 1 - as most people who will ever want AC have already bought it. They bought Kunos for AC2, AC3 or whatever.

I just finished writing a post on the PS4/XBOX 1 thread talking about how I wait for the 1st or 2nd corner to finish before I "start trying". It sounds strange, but I do agree with Brandon & Cote Dazur, for some reason it seems to take the AI some time to get everything together. After that, the racing is always fantastic for me. I'm going to start stretching it out, Cote Dazur, to see how things go if I wait to approximately half of the first lap is over before I go Red Ross on the field. :lol:

Generally, I am very happy with the AI. There are small things here and there, like this race starting thing, that could use improvement. I think it was v1.7 where the AI was at its best as far as driving smarts, even with these little issues. It's things like this where Kunos could benefit greatly by having additional PC developers to work on improvements and optimization, etc. while Stefano continues advancing the game forward. Perhaps we'll see that happen now that they'll be overseen by Digital Bros. While I have no doubt everything will continue as Marco says, at least for the foreseeable future, Digital Bros. didn't buy Kunos for Assetto Corsa 1 - as most people who will ever want AC have already bought it. They bought Kunos for AC2, AC3 or whatever.

Interesting thought that is... Assetto Corsa series taking us up to 2020 and probably beyond.

Mmm imagine the graphic and physics quality/wheels in 2020 and beyond.

Interesting thought that is... Assetto Corsa series taking us up to 2020 and probably beyond.

Mmm imagine the graphic and physics quality/wheels in 2020 and beyond.
More than physics improving, where I'd really like to see an improvement is in life like environments. Hit a bank? I wanna see damage to the bank, hit hay bails? I wanna see hay bails that are not made of granite. Also soft body physics, this would really move assetto ahead of the game without needing equal or superior graphics. Need more atmosphere too.

If you can mod RBR, then AC modding is 100x easier :lol: It's basically just drag and drop the files into the correct folders. As far as setting up the game, all of the settings in AC are also pretty self explanatory. This isn't 2004 anymore with rFactor requiring a whole day of hunting plugins and realfeel settings to get it going. You could literally get from Windows startup to driving in 4 clicks in AC (click shortcut > click practice > click start > click drive). No difference at all from consoles, except you have the whole world of mods accesible to you ;)

It might be tempting to just stick with the simplicity of consoles, but if you've got the spare time give it a try. Who knows it might rekindle your love for PC gaming again :)

Generally, I am very happy with the AI. There are small things here and there, like this race starting thing, that could use improvement. I think it was v1.7 where the AI was at its best as far as driving smarts, even with these little issues.

After a weekend of running 'quick races' in the Special Events, I don't think the AI are any better than most other racing game I've played... the only game I remember with good AI remains TOCCA2 (and that had issues on a couple of tracks - eg; Oulton Park on Hardest difficulty was a nightmare).

AI in AC...

They have a magical ability to accelerate just as quickly when they have 2 wheels on the kerb and 2 on the grass on corner exits... try that yourself and you're immediately in the barrier/gravel trap :odd:

They always have 'perfect' traction exiting slow/mid speed corners... and sometimes they seem to have better than perfect traction :odd:

AI cars also seem to have some sort of massive magnet sticking them to the track, which means they can punt you at will and not spin, where as if you as much as touch them, they are unaffected and you spin :odd:

They will do anything to avoid contact with each other (witness the swerving and braking hilarity during race starts and 1st couple of corners on lap 1), yet your car seems to be invisible :odd:

The main issues is, like most other racing games, they are entirely fixated with being on their 'racing line'... so once they are on it (after the usual 1st corner melee), they hardly ever try to overtake each other (or you), and if you try to overtake them, they will do absolutely anything to stay on the line - even if you're >90% past them, and they are on the grass on the outside, they will still keep their foot in to try and hold the line... this typically involves them punting you :mad: & :odd:

Having said all of that, if you find the right level of AI difficulty, and you have the patience to re-start (many, many times) until you survive the 1st couple of corners in a position that gives you at least a chance of winning, the racing can be pretty good fun... the Hurracan ST at Vallelunga, the tuned RX7 at Imola and the Z4GT3 at Nurb GT were all events I had to put a good amount of effort in to to get 1st place (AI on hard).

After a weekend of running 'quick races' in the Special Events, I don't think the AI are any better than most other racing game I've played... the only game I remember with good AI remains TOCCA2 (and that had issues on a couple of tracks - eg; Oulton Park on Hardest difficulty was a nightmare).

AI in AC...

They have a magical ability to accelerate just as quickly when they have 2 wheels on the kerb and 2 on the grass on corner exits... try that yourself and you're immediately in the barrier/gravel trap :odd:

They always have 'perfect' traction exiting slow/mid speed corners... and sometimes they seem to have better than perfect traction :odd:

AI cars also seem to have some sort of massive magnet sticking them to the track, which means they can punt you at will and not spin, where as if you as much as touch them, they are unaffected and you spin :odd:

They will do anything to avoid contact with each other (witness the swerving and braking hilarity during race starts and 1st couple of corners on lap 1), yet your car seems to be invisible :odd:

The main issues is, like most other racing games, they are entirely fixated with being on their 'racing line'... so once they are on it (after the usual 1st corner melee), they hardly ever try to overtake each other (or you), and if you try to overtake them, they will do absolutely anything to stay on the line - even if you're >90% past them, and they are on the grass on the outside, they will still keep their foot in to try and hold the line... this typically involves them punting you :mad: & :odd:

Having said all of that, if you find the right level of AI difficulty, and you have the patience to re-start (many, many times) until you survive the 1st couple of corners in a position that gives you at least a chance of winning, the racing can be pretty good fun... the Hurracan ST at Vallelunga, the tuned RX7 at Imola and the Z4GT3 at Nurb GT were all events I had to put a good amount of effort in to to get 1st place (AI on hard).

All fair points and comments. I guess when I say that I'm "happy" with the AI, I'm more happy with their pacing and how they will not slow down to allow you to catch up. The start of races pisses me off. If you get a good launch you can often just speed up the track splitting the AI cars which as still side-by-side. All it would take is one of the cars ahead of you to move into the gap space and you're not going to be able to go up the middle. Unfortunately, if you get a good launch you can often go around the AI on the outside and pass several cars just as easily. I seriously wish the AI cars would get perfect launches, at least for now, so you're not able to pass in either previously described fashion at the start of the race. Maybe 1 out of every 5 AI cars could have a slightly less than perfect launch just to throw in some "randomness".

I've often self-imposed a rule at the start of my races against the AI. No matter how good of a launch I get I will not pass a single AI car until getting through Turn 1 or even Turn 2 sometimes. Others have done the same thing but waited until halfway through the first lap before making any type of move on the AI drivers. I know these "solutions" are completely absurd, but I find setting up a grid of 16 with me in the back row is equally absurd if I'm able to move up to 8-10th position by the first turn. Thankfully, on the PC we can have grids considerably larger than 16 cars.

There have been many discussions regarding the physics defying cornering capabilities of the AI drivers. You worded it perfectly. It's like there is a big magnet under the road for each AI car on many sections of the race track. I have spun AI cars and I've seen them spin each other, but for the most part you are much better off avoiding any side contact as there is a 99% chance that you'll be on the losing end of that contact.

With the recent take over by Digital Bros. I am hoping maybe a few more technical resources are added to the Assetto Corsa project. While I have no doubt Stefano will never voluntarily give up his position as lead programmer (And why should he? He's done a great job thus far), perhaps another programmer added to the team can focus on improving these types of things while Stefano is busy adding next features.

The following is for PC players:

I have found a great solution to a lot of the issues that occur when racing offline. Sadly, it only works for PC players because a 3rd party launcher is required (Content Manager). When I am setting up a race against the AI drivers I can select my Opponents Strength anywhere from 70% to 100%. I can also set Opponents Strength Minimum anywhere from 70% to 100%. If I set the minimum to 89% and the maximum to 93% I will get a field of drivers with different Strengths from 89, 90, 91, 92 & 93%.

For some reason, I find that setting up my races like that "fixes" a lot of the stupidity AI drivers often show. A driver with 93% coming up on a driver at 89% tends to go right around him whereas an 89% driver A coming up on an 89% driver B will often lead to Driver A not passing Driver B, but riding his bumper instead...quite often for a long time. It doesn't work 100% of the time, but my experience with AI drivers has improved tremendously since I started setting a range for Opponent's Strength.

I know that last bit about percentage range doesn't help console players, but I included it in case a PC player was unaware. With Content Manager you can even have their Strength Percentage show right next to the driver's name, if you wanted to enable it.

The following is for PC players:

I have found a great solution to a lot of the issues that occur when racing offline. Sadly, it only works for PC players because a 3rd party launcher is required (Content Manager). When I am setting up a race against the AI drivers I can select my Opponents Strength anywhere from 70% to 100%. I can also set Opponents Strength Minimum anywhere from 70% to 100%. If I set the minimum to 89% and the maximum to 93% I will get a field of drivers with different Strengths from 89, 90, 91, 92 & 93%.

For some reason, I find that setting up my races like that "fixes" a lot of the stupidity AI drivers often show. A driver with 93% coming up on a driver at 89% tends to go right around him whereas an 89% driver A coming up on an 89% driver B will often lead to Driver A not passing Driver B, but riding his bumper instead...quite often for a long time. It doesn't work 100% of the time, but my experience with AI drivers has improved tremendously since I started setting a range for Opponent's Strength.

I know that last bit about percentage range doesn't help console players, but I included it in case a PC player was unaware. With Content Manager you can even have their Strength Percentage show right next to the driver's name, if you wanted to enable it.

This has been my experience as well, setting a range of AI strength really seems to liven them up and make them fight amongst themselves more.

Completely get the start comments, but gaining a load of places at the start is essential on a lot of the 'fixed' events due to how the challenges are set up... if you're not in 5th/6th place after turn one you stand very little chance of winning a lot of them on hard/alien... and some you still stand no chance of winning :lol:

Still, it's a good feeling when you eventually chase down the lead car and pass it for the win (setting multiple fastest laps in the process) :)

AI in AC...

Pretty much my experience except i dont find myself restarting much like i did a few updates back. The grip AI have is ridiculous though and I'd like to see that eliminated. I had a great race in special events yesterday, MX5 cup car at Mugello, AI on Hard (or very hard cant recall). It was a great race, 8 cars chasing me for 3 laps whilst i was chasing the pack ahead, then 2 overtook me and i had to fend the rest off.

Sometimes AI seams better on hard rather than Alien, it's also car/track dependent. I've had some great races with AI but they certainly need more work.

Back