Searching For Evidence of Hidden Things GT1 Version

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo 1' started by ohyeahthatdude, Nov 25, 2011.

1. pez2k

pez2k

Interesting that the second one explicitly mentions it's testing the XA music, rather than the SEQ stuff used for menus. I'm assuming the names are some sort of internal references to each track, useful to know.

2. submaniac93

submaniac93

Indeed, but I assume that's what became the screen where you can listen to the music on PAL
    They barely changed it

3. SuperFrizzio

SuperFrizzio

Yeah, nice stuff.. So rare to find hidden goodies of the first Gran Turismo games nowadays..

4. Overload_35

Overload_35

Thanks guys, happy to have posted a little something. These days I'm reading scanners from old magazines, in case I find something interesting I'll post it.

5. gtfrick

gtfrick

Jason Page is pretty open about his career if you DM him on Soundcloud, I asked him about this track, and he said this:
    "H" wasn't written for GT. It was a track that I most likely wrote soon after finishing GT, so I was still writing in that style - and with those instruments! I've actually no idea what it was written for. As I may have told you previously, I used to just write tracks and then other departments in Sony would use them for whatever purposes that they required - without informing me. The lead sound in "H" was from the Korg Prophecy. It's a unique sound, and I liked it a lot... So I used it a lot too....!

Unrelated, but I also asked him why the soundtrack was changed for the western release:
    GT was changed for overseas, as the producers felt that the original music wasn't to western players tastes. As you say, it's about appealing to a demographic. It was about setting the atmosphere that the producers / marketing departments and so on wanted to create that would appeal to those who would buy the game.

I did this for a number of other games. CoolBoarders2, for example, has a different soundtrack for Europe than the USA regions, as the original USA tracks were thought to be too "rock guitar" based... They weren't in the style that would appeal to those who like snowboarding and games in Europe.
    Who would've guessed.

Last year I also asked him where he got the samples for the menu music and everything:
    Not sure what samples you mean, but they're likely recorded from either a Korg Prophecy, Korg Trinity, Emu Orbit, Roland JV2080 or Kurzweil K2000R, as those were my main synths at the time.

Other than that, it was just grabbing stuff from various sample CDs.

Also, how he created the menu music (for those who don't know):
    For the menu music, I used the SEQ and MIDI tools that were part of the PlayStation SDK.
    So, I created Standard MIDI Files and converted those to SEQ. And I created a VAB file with the samples (This is then split into VB - containing the samples, and VH - containing sample volume/center pitch information).

6. submaniac93

submaniac93

Ho~
    I knew about the SC account, not about the additional info

The last part might be useful to us too. Thanks for that. I have the SDK tools, including the correct things for sure, I just don't know how to use them (and they don't work on 64-bit machines, that's where VMs come into play haha)

gtfrick likes this.
  7. gtfrick

gtfrick

Maybe I can help... I have a 32-bit machine, although I don't have it with me right now (now I'm using a 64-bit crap Acer laptop.) Though I don't know much about the PS1 SDK either.

Unfortunately though, I can't DM him more questions because SoundCloud won't let me send any more DMs without a verified email, and my SC account is very old and I registered it using my previous email account, which I don't have access to anymore because the site (Mail) says my password is incorrect and that the mail address doesn't exist when I tried to recover it. I tried to verify my Gmail address on SoundCloud but that didn't work since I didn't get a verification email, and I'm pretty sure you have to verify your primary address in order to verify your account, which is my old one and you can't change your primary email... I think I may need a new account if I want to ask him more questions (or find his email address.)

I wanted to ask him what happened to the original MIDI files...

Also, does anybody know what in the world happened to the two Del Sols that were in the new Honda dealership in the Japanese version?

8. submaniac93

submaniac93

Don't worry, my win XP 32 virtual machine does the job for those. As for the DS they're hidden on PAL and i would guess USA as well for some reason.

gtfrick likes this.
  9. tankuroded

tankuroded

10. karelpipa

karelpipa

In this demo version a different photo of the same car was used in Mazda Used car dealer.
    Also demo timer is not present so you can actually finish the race.