Searching For Evidence of Hidden Things GT1 Version

If you want menu tunes i got them all in mp3.

Thank you, but so do I and I also have the gt1 menu music in .psf (portable sound format aka playstation sound format) format as well!

I havent figured out how to work .midi files to make a .vag and .vab from, then convert those to get the .vb and .vh headers, then to combine all 4 files to make 1 .seq file. The hardest part is the last step for me. As I'm not an audio tech. So I guess I need to learn fl studios and a few more programs.........

@karelpipa I don' think he wants the music that way. I think he's gonna try to port some tracks over to GT2. Which would be kinda cool if this works

Thank You! Yes my intenstions exactly. As explained above, making a .seq seems difficult at this time..... so I'm lookin into other gt music to use......

One of the reasons I'm trying this is for another test...... its safe to say atleast 1/3rd of gt1 (same format) was reused for gt2. Most file extentions was renamed to something different, but overall alot of cross compatibility (case and point when I discovered that gt1 car sounds can be ported into gt2 via file extention rename). It seems like the car models and track models was enhanced and imporved for gt2, otherwise gt1 and gt2 are pretty close, except how they are built (.dat vs .vol)

After I try gt1 music, Ill look into gt4 menu music, unless you would know what format they are in? The first 4bytes or so should read as SEQG in the header.

Would anyone want me to post pics of what I have came across in gt1? Maybe someone else would have a better chance at some of these other files that I can't open.......

No, I have gt music in .psf format. What I'm porting is raw gt1 seq files.

Speaking of which...... the gt1 seq menu sound files work in gt2, but only partly, like half the sounds play. But its a really good start! I'll try to make a video......

Can any one help me with audio tech on this matter? Like why only half the sounds play?

Well, looks like the wheel shop was planned to be introduced in GT1 but was cutted...

GT1 Trial Wheel Shop.jpg

Found in GT1 Trial Version

Use this code:
8004950C 0000
8009AC4C 6877
8009AC4E 6565
8009AC50 2E6C
8009AC52 7468
8009AC54 006D
8009D634 6F68
8009D636 646E
8009D638 2E61
8009D63A 7468
8009D63C 006D

It will replace the Honda dealership with the wheel shop.

Last edited:
My guess is that they're just placeholders until they'd completed all 128 wheels

Ah, I forgot to add that the above image is made of screenshots, so they're not at the original resolution, if you see what I mean.
I'm going to rip them out of the game's RAM today so they can be used to make custom GT2 wheels hopefully.

Well, looks like the wheel shop was planned to be introduced in GT1 but was cutted...

View attachment 737115

Found in GT1 Trial Version

Use this code:
8004950C 0000
8009AC4C 6877
8009AC4E 6565
8009AC50 2E6C
8009AC52 7468
8009AC54 006D
8009D634 6F68
8009D636 646E
8009D638 2E61
8009D63A 7468
8009D63C 006D

It will replace the Honda dealership with the wheel shop.
Which version is this code for?

So a long time ago, I started writing down GT1's LM Edition car's default settings, as well as a select few cars (mostly ones appearing in the Megaspeed Cup) in a notebook. That way I could reproduce those cars as hybrids in GT2. I ended up using these for all my GT playthroughs as much as possible, even up to 6. About 3 days ago, I realised while making those Megaspeed hybrid replicas in GT4 (for the second time) that I was missing one car's setings: the JZA70 Supra Turbo R. So I decided thanks to that to start making a complete spreadsheet of every AI opponents and their useful (to me) settings. Yes, that is a proper overreaction.
And here's the result. I did it for all 3 regions (not counting the different versions of each regions though). Once I can find and get info on what parts each AI has applied at any entry, i'll add that. And I also plan on making detailed entries for every car in the game, in all 3 regions, so that we can once and for all know everything there is to know.

Download the .xlsx here
It was made on MS Excel 2010. I can't guarantee the formatting (however simple) will work perfectly on other programs.

View the spreadsheet on google docs here

Last edited:
Love you foir this. How can i save this? :)
Thank you.
In what unit is stabilizer? Why some cars have over 100 and some nothing.
Always wondered why some cars like i.e. Exiv 200GT kept bouncing like crazy and drive very slowly. I always though PD gave them bad suspension settings but for now their settings are not much different against other AI cars.

Do you know which tyre type they use?

I updated the post with a download link to the file.
As for units I entered directly what internal values the game reads so they might be arbitrary. However, from what I could see so far in my step2 project (full car list with their upgrades) Hard Stabilizers default to 100 front and 90 rear. And In-game, all LM Edition cars default at lvl3 front and rear.
All non-LM opponents have very soft stabilizers it seems, and the 100+ ones are all LM editions, which are always untuned.

And yeah, I was also surprised tat cars such as the Exiv, RX7 A-spec, Lantis and such didn't have anything special. I guess it's all due to the game's physics.

What I was suprised most of all, was USA's weight values. I knew that JP had much lighter FF cars, but I didn't think USA had as well. they didn't feel that way at the very least.

As for tyre type there was a value, but I will not be able to tell what it corresponds to until I finish the step2, as in it, i'm also writing down every part's code. Whenever I'm able to know what tyre type the opponents use, i'll add it to the spreadsheet.

Also thanks ^^

Do you know which tyre type they use?

If you are interested:

Sunday Cup: Semi-Racing: Soft-Soft
Clubman Cup: Semi-Racing: Soft-Soft
Gran Turismo Cup: Racing: Hard-Hard
Gran Turismo World Cup: Racing: Soft-Soft
FF Challenge: Semi-Racing: Hard-Hard
FR Challenge: Semi-Racing: Hard-Hard
4WD Challenge: Semi-Racing: Hard-Hard
Lightweight Sports Battle Stage: Semi-Racing: Soft-Soft
US - Japan Sports Car Championship: Racing: Soft-Soft
Anglo - Japanese Sports Car Championship: Racing: Soft-Soft
Anglo - American Sports Car Championship: Racing: Soft-Soft
Megaspeed Cup: Racing: Soft-Soft
Grand Valley 300km Endurance Race: Racing: Soft-Soft
Special Stage Route 11 All-Night Endurance Race I: Racing: Soft-Soft
Normal Car World Speed Contest: Stock
Hard-Tuned Car Speed Contest: Racing: Soft-Soft
Special Stage Route 11 All-Night Endurance Race II: Racing: Soft-Soft

It's gonna take longer than a few days, but i'm slowly making my way through the car list. I'm going into much more details than for the AIs, that's why :P
I like it, it's very user friendly. Nice work with it. Never thought something using Google Sheets could look so good.

We know that in GT1 there are some unused tracks:

I found out (looking inside game files) where these song should be used originally:

Unknown Track 1 = Quick Menu (I don't know what this "quick menu" is)
Unknown Track 2 = Goodies (Self-explanatory)
Unknown Track 3 = Ranking (I think this is when you the see the race results after you finish a race in GT Mode, well it make sense since it's actually muted)

Funny thing is, on the S.S.Route 5 Short icon (aka Clubman Stage R5), it actually shows the last turns before the Start/Finish straight from the Special Stage variation.

Also, those missing textures on the Autumn Ring and High Speed Ring made me chuckle a bit.

@dzajkel Yeah, also that chicane was a roundabout a this point in time. It sure doesn't look like one now.

@Gamerjman19 Indeed, so earlier in fact that all of there are already present on the earliest playable demo: GT Test Drive ^^

We know that in GT1 there are some unused tracks:

I found out (looking inside game files) where these song should be used originally:

Unknown Track 1 = Quick Menu (I don't know what this "quick menu" is)
Unknown Track 2 = Goodies (Self-explanatory)
Unknown Track 3 = Ranking (I think this is when you the see the race results after you finish a race in GT Mode, well it make sense since it's actually muted)

Good to know the info about them. I already had these sounds when I started picking gt1 apart.

Inside GAMEMENU.DAT you can found the early name of Grand Valley.

GT1_GAMEMENU.DAT_007.png

Found by @submaniac93

Also, it turns out Quick Menu is the Pre/Post Race Arcade Menu (where you can check the car grid, save replay, etc.)

If you don't mind me doing that, here are all of the beta track icons in one image:
View full: here

o1a5ly348aulqmp6g.jpg

Ok, I'll be honest, its been several months since I've dug into gt1, mainly because I was learning 3 different ways of modding gt2 car textures.

Wow! And how did you guys open gt1 .dats? Ive been stuck on a few of them....... and has anyone figured out car.dat file order between all 3 builds?

pez2k was able to write a little program that decompressed the .DAT files. thanks to that and using a few other tools we were able to get GT1's car textures (but no bodies yet), nameplates, and other stuff like these images. Still nothing on the game's actual data however.
Ever since that, pez has been porting/remaking most/all of GT1's special colored cars for GT2. He'll include them as well as some others in his next patch :D

EDIT: I've updated the GT1 car data spreadsheet with how it currently looks. I'm progressing slowly because it's actually veeeeery boring to make xD

So refer to this post above and see the new stuff. I've also updated the xlsx download to the new file (v1.1)

Last edited:
This time guys I'm sure at 101% that isn't a repost :D
I'm fooling around in a website that have some codes for PS1 games, when I found that particular one, I've tested immediately. This code works ONLY for the PAL release and is about to change the language (who have the PAL version will understand me) and you can select also the US language, apparently is the UK language but force the game to load the NTSC-U into the PAL!!! Then you can have Acura cars, Honda with changed nameplates and Dodge version of Vipers and Concept Car. This is an interesting fact... I dunno if is possible to load the NTSC-J into the PAL.

The code is: US: 3004DDA4 0000
UK: 0001
FR: 0002
GE: 0003
IT: 0004
ES: 0005

EDIT: I've tested this code deeper. The conclusion about Acura/Honda is this: when you buy a car with this code active, in the garage is still displayed the PAL name of the car, but when you buy it in the dealership, shows the USA name. Ah, you can't load the NTSC-J into the PAL

Last edited:
Back