Shift 2: G27 Wheel Settings. ***PATCH v1.02*** Updated.

• Thread starter AWDwhite_2g
  • 260 comments
I remember them (SMS) talking about how difficult it is to drift but to the full experience you should use a wheel. They said practice is key (DUH)

Sorry for asking this here, but this thread has a higher IQ, no puns other threads:

PC = DirectX11 graphics, if you recently upgraded and all.
PS3 = DirectX7 I think, kinda dated, but Cell processor rocks the planet at 720p 60 Guaranteed FPSFFS.

Which has the better experience, I have a GTX460 card, and I love GT5 on PS3, but I'm wondering if it will "look" and perhaps even play better on a modern-esque PC.

thoughts?

AWDwhite_2g

Show me your configuration here:
g27e.jpg

I'm running the game on a GTX 460 at 1920 x 1200 with all settings (except motion blur) cranked all the way up, and the framerate is acceptable.

Here are some settings that make Shift 2 feel 100% more responsive. These settings are the closest I could get to a simulation feeling. These settings will eliminate that "floaty" feeling in a strait line. The car will turn when you turn, and the wheel will correspond with the in game visuals alot better then the default settings.

The default settings are so horrible I don't recommend using them for long. (Unless driving Jello is what you prefer.)
Use the first set of Advance settings I have listed and tweak them to your personal style as your get used to the game.
The second set of Advance settings are what I have chosen as my own permanent settings.

Handling Mode: Elite
All Assists: OFF (except for ABS)

Note: Be sure not to hit the two middle red buttons on the G27 shifter because that will toggle ON and OFF the Traction Control and Stability Control.

Manual Gears: ON
Auto Clutch: OFF or ON (Its up to you)

Note: It helps to re-map the Auto Gears and Auto Clutch button(s) with the Hud display and View change so you don't accidently turn the Auto Clutch or Auto Gears back on during gameplay.

Options > Gamplay> Controls> Adjust Controls> (R1) to Advance Controls.

------------1. Start with this as your baseline.------------------2. This is fine tuned to my personal preference.

FFB:_______________100%____________________________________100%

Steering DZ:________0%______________________________________0%

Steering SN:________50%_____________________________________60%

Throttle DZ:________ 0%______________________________________0%

Throttle SN:________50%______________________________________50%

Brake DZ:__________0%_______________________________________0%

Brake SN:__________50%______________________________________40%

Clutch DZ:__________0%_______________________________________0%

Clutch SN:__________50%______________________________________60%

Speed SN:__________0%_______________________________________0%

Drift Speed SN:______0%_______________________________________0%

Steering Lock:_______900* or 450*_______________________________900*

Drift Steering Lock:___900* or 450*_______________________________450*

(To fine tune each cars steering lock, go to the vehicles tuning menu) < I cannot stress enough how important this setting is.

Note: If you choose to set up your G27 with 900* you will find it becomes difficult to turn quick on tight tracks with certain cars. This is where each vehicals tuning menu comes in handy. By increasing a specific cars steering lock you can increase the responsiveness of the steering without compromising the visual 900* correspondence between your *G27 Steering wheel* and the in game *cockpit view steering wheel*.

Note: For Steering Sensitivity at 50%. This is a way of saying the wheel is just as sensitive at 0* and it is at 900*. By increasing this value the in game steering will become more responsive (quick to your actions). By decreasing this value the in game steering becomes less responsive (slow to your actions).

Note: For Throttle pedal sensitivity at 50%. This a way of saying The pedal at 0% is just as sensitive at 100%. The pedal stroke is linear... similar to a mechanicly operated throttle cable on a real car. By decreasing this value you are making the upper portion of the pedal stroke less responsive and the lower portion of the stroke more responsive and vise versa.

Note: For Brake Pedal sensitivity at 50%. This is just a baseline. Here your personal preference is what matters most. By decreasing this value you are making the upper portion of the pedal stroke less responsive and the lower portion of the stroke more responsive. So ideally a lower value here is desired because it would be similar to a brake pedal on a real car.

Note: For Clutch Pedal sensitivity at 50%. This is just a baseline. Just like the brake, this setting is personal preference. Some prefer a clutch that engages/disengages high, some prefer it low. Increasing the value here will raise the engagement/disengagement point. Decreasing the value will lower the engagement/disengagement point.

Note: Speed and (Drift) Speed sensitivity. This setting is a way of keeping the car more controllable at high speeds, mostly in a strait line. This setting becomes less important as you increase the steering wheel degree rotation. At 900* speed sensitivity isn't an issue. So this value at 0% is a way of saying the steering response is unaltered at any speed. The more you increase this value the less reponsive the car will become as your speed increases.

Try it out.

First off i want to thank you for taking the time to do this.... cheers,
personally myself i prefer to have ingame wheel match my g25
and you have done very well there

but im sorry to say the 450 degree..for drift it aint helping at all, not that im saying this is your fault..he he, its just that im (we all, im sure) just cant hold a drift, i didnt buy a g25 to use a controller. i hate using it..just my opinion, yet i was fed up after a 4 hours of tryn to figure wheel out and tried the controller and was drifting well within 5 mins...WHAAAAAA...

but i refuse to give up on the wheel... one thing i just realized, maybe nothing but guys you know the drift auto-log trailer they released..then the time attack one, sumthen i noticed.. a wheel was only USED in the time attack and not drift trailer.. I THINK THEY WERE LETTING US KNOW HOW BAD IT WAS TO USE A WHEEL BEFORE RELEASE without admtting how bad using a wheel would really be..well just an observation. im loving it and hating it at the same time, i do hope they fix this or sumone does find a fix..
but again thanx AWDwhite and i do hope you me or sumone finds a g25/drift solution.

cheers.

ps...anyone else notice that they said you can tune/save tunes...yep ok!, but have your also noticed its only for racing and not drifting...hmmmm?

pss...also THIS IS REAL RACING (DRIFTING) there slogan..at the mo it should be THIS IS REAL RACING,AS LONG AS YOU DONT USE YOUR $400 WHEEL!!!!!

I need Help with configuration (no in game):

I have:
Pedal raported as...

Combined - OFF

ROTATION
Degrees in Rotation: 270

FORCE FEEDBACK
Overall Effects Strength: 25%

Spring Effect Strength: 0%

Damper Effect Strength: 0%

CENTERING SPRING
Enable centering spring in FF Games - On

Centering Spring Strength: 40%

GAME SETTINGS
Allow Game To Adjust Settings - On
---------------------------------------------
I Should change something ?

@ hairyman,

After a few hours of attempting to drift today...I have had less luck with 450* in the higher power cars the with some stock RWD's cars i had initially practiced with. It seems 900* is effective for pretty much everything and my initial testing with the 450* was just false hope...

(I have since edited my original post)

All cars respond well to 900* for drifting.
Once you dial in each cars steering lock from the Tuning Menu...it become easier to find that sweet spot.

Reguardless of how good you set up a car or what your choose for a wheel degree. Drifting with a wheel in Shift 2 is going to take ALOT....I mean ALOT....of practice.

AWDwhite_2g

Show me your configuration here:
g27e.jpg

I can tell u mine settings in logitech profile:
Overall effects strenght 30%
Spring effects strenght 20%
Damper effects strenght 20%
Enabled Centering Spring 70%
Degrees of rotation 900
Allow game to adjust settings is - off

Has anyone tried the Hot Lap Gauntlet race with the 911 GT3 RS at Nurb Sprint with these settings? Down the straights the thing handles like a sailboat. I have tried messing with speed sensitivity. At 100 percent it kind of goes away but I find that messes up my other cars handling. Anyone have any luck with this?

Bottom left button of the wheel is the pause for the G27

Gotcha okay, I programmed that for look back that explains why I can't find a pause button :) Thanks! Funny how you can't specifically program the pause button...

Has anyone tried the Hot Lap Gauntlet race with the 911 GT3 RS at Nurb Sprint with these settings? Down the straights the thing handles like a sailboat. I have tried messing with speed sensitivity. At 100 percent it kind of goes away but I find that messes up my other cars handling. Anyone have any luck with this?
100% didn't help me. Still had to turn the wheel super-early.

The settings did not help at all, sail boat it is.

if anyone is complaining about steering being unresponsive, why not try steering sensitivity to 100%?? I use that and speed sensitivity at 0%, it is as sharp as it can be.

Thanks for this post, man! Before seeing this, I didn't even know the wheel -could- be adjusted in Shift 2. This saved the game for me. It's sooo much nicer to drive now!

what is the best recommendation for the drift speed and Drift Steering Lock settings to use while drifting. I am still in the practice mode and cannot hold a drift the car always spins out no matter how light im on the throttle.

@ hairyman,

After a few hours of attempting to drift today...I have had less luck with 450* in the higher power cars the with some stock RWD's cars i had initially practiced with. It seems 900* is effective for pretty much everything and my initial testing with the 450* was just false hope...

(I have since edited my original post)

Once you dial in each cars steering lock from the Tuning Menu...it become easier to find that sweet spot.

Reguardless of how good you set up a car or what your choose for a wheel degree. Drifting with a wheel in Shift 2 is going to take ALOT....I mean ALOT....of practice.

I do agree it would take time if we could find a fix, but what you said here

il admit steering locks blah blah lol..all that car stuff i havnt a clue, i usually play around til it just feels right...

but my point of what you said above is eg.. i just got the drift alliance car..ok..so i go into tuning then say steering lock etc BUT (not changing anything say just yet) and go onto to test but on test track its a becomes a race car... not drift!!!! BUT YET ARE THOSE SETTING IM LOOKING AT FOR DRIFT OR STREET ...??..weird huh!?

obviously you have a better understanding of cars so please have a look at what i mean about the tuning (of drift car on tuning track not actually being a drift car BUT A RACE CAR!)..im sorry if im not explaining very well..so say for instance i went in again and wrote down all the setting for a drift car then went back and applied them to say another
s14-13....it still dosent react like a drift car...so im lost....
they said there was not drift and racing models this time but one... yet..what iv said proves them wrong.. so i do hope you check this out...just hop in the drfit alliance car...go into the tuning DO NOT CHANGE A THING, GO STRAIGHT ONTO TEST TRACK AND YOU SEE WHAT I MEAN.... its race..NOT DRIFT!
i wait for your reply on what you think...
cheers mate.

Last edited:
Update #3. Original post updated.

By adding some steering deadzone you can make it alot easier to control the cars at top speed on tracks with long straits, or long sweeping corners. I recomend 1 - 2% Steering deadzone. I have been using 1% with good results.

*This does not leave the wheel feeling like it has a flat spot in the FFB...so it will not effect the way the wheel feels in your hands when you cross over left to right and vise versa.* < I should have tested for this at first, but I assumed it would be like F1 2010 and anything over 0% would have you turning through a spot of no FFB when turning left to right and vise versa.

Also by turning up the steering sensitivity to something around 70% really gives the car a much better turn-in feeling. 100% is just to much... keep it between 60 - 80% this will tighten the feel from the wheel to the game. I have it at 75% and its the best I've used so far.

Last edited:
See, they've done it AGAIN! With all of these goofy settings and adjustments it just leads to confusion and frustration. How is it GT games can just feel right?

Dirt 3 and Grip 2 will be the same way.

Ugh, why did PD have to screw GT5 up as a "game"!!! Great driving physics, bad game.

I really hope someone stumbles across the magic setup.

Back