Shift 2 v1.02 Patch

• Thread starter BryantFC
  • 899 comments
Not me... I am getting more racing enjoyment from this game than any other I can remember. Yes, there are problem areas that should be fixed (probably won't) but for the most part a great racing game. The good out weigh the bad - in my opinion.
I agree that EA may continue to release unfinished or buggy software if the titles still sell well but I cannot say I would never from them again.

I'm sure you would buy a house without a roof and a car with three wheels too !

I'm sure you would buy a house without a roof and a car with three wheels too !

I doubt it he would.

But being realistic means not making a blanket statement about not buying a game from _______ company ever again, because they hurt your feelings.

Every game forum has a few people that are hurt because they didnt cater to his/her wants and will "NEVER BUY A GAME" from them again. Then they do...as always. You should have said you are going to tell all your friends and family to ban EA games as well. Thats the way it usually goes...

I doubt it he would.

But being realistic means not making a blanket statement about not buying a game from _______ company ever again, because they hurt your feelings.

Every game forum has a few people that are hurt because they didnt cater to his/her wants and will "NEVER BUY A GAME" from them again. Then they do...as always. You should have said you are going to tell all your friends and family to ban EA games as well. Thats the way it usually goes...

EA don't hurt my feelings !
I just don't like to get screwed !
If I pay full price for something I expect it to fully work, or at least be fixed ASAP!

Right now all gamers act as testers without compensation!

EA don't hurt my feelings !
I just don't like to get screwed !
If I pay full price for something I expect it to fully work, or at least be fixed ASAP!

Right now all gamers act as testers without compensation!

Boycott EA. And march at thier HQ. Better yet...start an e-mail petition becuase those always work. And be sure to use lots of "!!!" so people know you are serious. And always...always whine about how you got screwed. Damn...you already have the last two down.

Or....just enjoy all the good things the game has....

Boycott EA. And march at thier HQ. Better yet...start an e-mail petition becuase those always work. And be sure to use lots of "!!!" so people know you are serious. And always...always whine about how you got screwed. Damn...you already have the last two down.

Or....just enjoy all the good things the game has....

I wonder how much EA pay you for saying this ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Battlefield 2 isn't a bad game and 3 got all the E3 crowd going wild. I don't think EA would miss your custom.

Saying that though, I don't own the PS3 version of shift.
I think the high speed freeze or whatever it is, is a game breaking bug and should be addressed.

I can feel your frustration on this matter and personally think that EA or whoever funds these patches have a right to the consumer to fix those type of corrupt data.
I wouldn't call it a bug a bug sounds too nice.

Even if it means only the PS3 gets patch 1.03 so be it.

It's basically not doing what is described on the box. Which is allowing you to play the damn game.

Also locking up your system isn't ideal is it.
I wouldn't put oil in my car which makes my engine sound like a bag of nails would I.

Perhaps it's the PS3 itself that is the problem. Maybe EA/SMS knew all along of the freezes during development, but could not, and possibly will never, fix the issues. That's possibly because PS3 could not handle Shift 2 in the first place, causing the system to freeze at high speeds. Shift 2 is one of the best looking games on the PS3, and combined with a complex physics system and a high level of anti-aliasing, it's certain that the very limits of the console are being tested. The only way they can fix the problem would be to make some HUGE compromises in the game's graphics and/or physics, a risk that EA/SMS are likely not willing to make.

^ It's not the PS3. There is no such thing as freezing because of a piece of code being at "the very limits of the console". It's a deterministic system, and any freezes are due to bugs. Simple as that.

The freezing at high speed that is still there after the patches, is indicative of some deep bugs that the developers have lost control of. If I had anything like that in a piece of software I worked on, it would be declared a crisis, not fit for release until fixed - no excuses.

DJ
--

I have had one freeze in the past 2 weeks. It was also after playing for 3 or more hours.

I am using a ps3 slim that I got last Sept. This high speed freeze I have never gotten. I have noticed slow down one one turn in Zolder.

Maybe it is a hardware issue?

^ It's not the PS3. There is no such thing as freezing because of a piece of code being at "the very limits of the console". It's a deterministic system, and any freezes are due to bugs. Simple as that.

The freezing at high speed that is still there after the patches, is indicative of some deep bugs that the developers have lost control of. If I had anything like that in a piece of software I worked on, it would be declared a crisis, not fit for release until fixed - no excuses.

DJ
--

OK

EA & SMS

Get to work !

I have had one freeze in the past 2 weeks. It was also after playing for 3 or more hours.

I am using a ps3 slim that I got last Sept. This high speed freeze I have never gotten. I have noticed slow down one one turn in Zolder.

You drive too slow !

Thats why !

Same for me. I did not have any speed-freezing for the first two weeks, but that was because I have yet to drive any high speed-cars such as GT1 and Works converts up until later. Once you reach that far, you WILL begin to see freezes.

As for Zolder slowdowns, that is normal. I have the same issues there, so this is just a typical framerate slowdown.

And to magicaldog: You have been acting in a rather harsh, loud, and impulsive matter lately. Keep your tone down, or you will catch the attention of moderators.

Yeap freezing usualy occurs with cars over 2000PP and very fast laps around - «The ring», Mount Panorama, SPA at night, and one or two other long tracks

I have beat Modern A, GT3, and GT1. I also do laps with a Lambo Works. GTR Works, etc.

I have NOT done the ring though, because I am so bad at it.

So I stll have yet to encounter it. Maybe I am just lucky so far.

And You get to return products after using them for 2 months?
Here You've to return it in the first 15 days after the purchase to get a full refund.

Well, I reported the problem to them a week or two after the game was released, and have been patiently waiting for a fix. Installed all patches and ps3 updates, but nothing helped.

I think the rule (in norway) is that I'm entitled to my money back if they've attempted to fix it three times without succeeding (not sure if this applies to sofware though). They may also have to pay me for the trips back and forth to the shop to exchange the game.

But - I am still trying to force EA to say if they are going to fix the problem or not. I do not accept "I don't know" as an answer. They are the publisher, they should know.

If they say they are going to fix it, then I'll wait a little longer. If they say no or gives me more nonsense then I'll return it and demand to have all my expenses refunded.

(My expenses may also include the cost of my new PS3 slim - they actually suggested that it wasn't their fault, and that I should contact sony to get my PS3 repaired, and they considered the problem solved. Instead I bought a new PS3 and proved to them that the PS3 was not the problem...)

Yeap freezing usualy occurs with cars over 2000PP and very fast laps around - «The ring», Mount Panorama, SPA at night, and one or two other long tracks

You've to play stock Lengend cars.;)
Plus they're much more fun!!!:)

...I think the rule (in norway) is that I'm entitled to my money back if they've attempted to fix it three times without succeeding (not sure if this applies to sofware though). They may also have to pay me for the trips back and forth to the shop to exchange the game.
Software is not exempt from Forbruerkjøpsloven (Consumer trade law). Read chapter 4 and 6 (and hit the supplier over the head with it ;)). Any "sold as is" clauses are invalid, as stated in chapter 17. I don't know how it would play out in practice, maybe you must wait for the third patch... To get your particular copy 'repaired' by the supplier or manufacturer seems highly unlikely :lol:

But - I am still trying to force EA to say if they are going to fix the problem or not. I do not accept "I don't know" as an answer. They are the publisher, they should know.
Just remember that in our day and age, "support" mainly exist as a wall to hold customers off. They generally don't know anything, and as such, their answer was undoubtedly correct :dopey:

DJ

P.S. I'll admit that I'll put up with the defects of S2U in order to race the lower classes and the Legends pack. By doing so I'm undermining the standards for software quality in an opportunistic and selfish way. Shame on me :guilty:

P.P.S. This posting may seem harsh - I'm being the Devil's advocate here, and it was made that way to drive home the point that software developers and resellers are not free of responsibility for making and delivering goods that work as advertised.
--

Last edited:
You've to play stock Lengend cars.;)
Plus they're much more fun!!!:)

Thats what Ive been doing :D I got the legends DLC before the patch - couldnt resist but then again the EA costumer support where very kind to me(after 1 and a half month of tradding emails) and they gave me a LE code so I though I could give something in return and bought the DLC.

Just remember that in our day and age, "support" mainly exist as a wall to hold customers off. They generally don't know anything, and as such, their answer was undoubtedly correct :dopey:

Correct :) They are probably not even part of the EA organization - EA have probably outsourced all communication with their customers to someone else, like most companies do these days.

At some point in the conversation my tech support representative told me they were not allowed to actually play the game in order to confirm that a bug exists.

Edit: this is probably getting off topic, and some moderator will probably attack it soon. My thread about "need for speed limits" got closed because there already is a bug report thread, so I'll stop now, to avoid that happening to this thread as well ;)

P.S. I'll admit that I'll put up with the defects of S2U in order to race the lower classes and the Legends pack. By doing so I'm undermining the standards for software quality in an opportunistic and selfish way. Shame on me :guilty:

Shame on us.:guilty:
We even bought the DLC after acknowledging the problems.:ill:
When it doesn't freezes it's fun though.:dopey:

Thats what Ive been doing :D

Nah You're taking all the records with the "souped 914 and Daytona Coupé".:P
You're gonna force our hand out of the stock one's...which would happen at some point anyway.;)

Shame on us.:guilty:
We even bought the DLC after acknowledging the problems.:ill:
When it doesn't freezes it's fun though.:dopey:

Nah You're taking all the records with the "souped 914 and Daytona Coupé".:P
You're gonna force our hand out of the stock one's...which would happen at some point anyway.;)

:ouch: I didnt realize that... I only connected to try the code they gave me and didnt check the Autolog but the upgraded Legends dont go over 1400/1500 tops (most go around 900 - 1300) and handle pretty much the same... what can I do Im a speed junkie :dopey:

I have beat Modern A, GT3, and GT1. I also do laps with a Lambo Works. GTR Works, etc.

I have NOT done the ring though, because I am so bad at it.

So I stll have yet to encounter it. Maybe I am just lucky so far.

Some questions of curiosity then:

1. Did you take any photos or saved any replays?

2. Did you turn off any features in the Autolog options menu?

3. What driving physics system are you using? Elite/Novice/etc?

Still getting game freeze problem both the xbox 360 version and PS3 version.Not sure it's the lens of my both console causing this,Game disc.This patch doesn't fix the difficulty of AI in career even on easy.

I was just playing Wipeout HD Fury and guess what happened ?
My whole system completely freezed.
Had to restart the whole thing.

Man am I glad I have my trusty PC so I can play my good ol RBR and SIMBIN games that are rock steady.

Like i Said before, the latest optional PS3 firmware update fixes some games stability issues.

While not describing wich games or issues, we cannot, in light of this update, discard hardware problems to some extent.

I have yet to test the 918 at night around Pergusa (the only freeze i can/could reproduce) after this upgrade. Work and Le Mans are wrecking my game time this week:D

Some questions of curiosity then:

1. Did you take any photos or saved any replays?

2. Did you turn off any features in the Autolog options menu?

3. What driving physics system are you using? Elite/Novice/etc?

1. I have about 12 videos, and 15 photos saved, and 10 photos, and 1 video shared.

2. No, I have all defaults, and always run online.

3. Using ummm....the middle one. I run everything off but line sometimes, but not on elite, I dont think.

^ In Norway, yes, there's 2 years of warranty, unless otherwise was agreed upon at the sale, and furthermore up to 5 years if it's reasonable to assume that the product should work for more than that. We also have rules for the return of unwanted goods, which is far shorter, but that's quite different from the warrantry covering defective goods. The supplier/manufacturer have three attempts at repairing the product, then they have to give you the money back.

I've returned a number of defective software products in my time (none in Norway though, which should be easier due to good consumer protection). You just have to be steadfast and remind them of the law and the fact that software is also a product which should fulfill it's advertised/claimed function.

Unfortunately, consumers have a tendency to accept defective software products, due to the 'mystery' surrounding them, which is not exactly putting pressure on software companies to deliver working products. I'm guilty myself, e.g. in the case of S2U - but it's a dilemma; you may have to accept (glaring and incapacitating) defects in order to partake in the working/fun bits... I don't like the direction this has taken one bit though.

DJ
--
Great post indeed this is the way it is. Consumers usually don't know these laws and they tend to accept everything they say. But you all should make a quick search about your country laws. You don't need to go on court or something, you just need to show companies they can't fool you because you know your rights. When I bought an xbox and it brokes after a few I told them about the law ahd I obtained a refund without too much hassle. Problem is when they see you don't have a clue, they told you lot of bs about assistance times, it's not their fault, etc etc..

Like i Said before, the latest optional PS3 firmware update fixes some games stability issues.

Well it definately didn't help for Shift 2. Right after I updated I tried to start Shift 2 and it froze right away before even getting to the first loading screen.

Haven't tried any fast cars after the update yet though.

how do you get the latest upgrade for ps3 , i thought it did it automatically ?

This one is optional (for now), just select "system update" in the XMB menu and it will check for upgrades and allow you to download/install.

The fact that it's optional makes me think it may not be very well tested ;)

Back