Show off your latest purchase!

• Thread starter McLaren
  • 36,329 comments
TB
I'm not sure how I didn't come across this a few years ago looking for a device that could play Netflix, Prime and Plex. Most could do the first two but not Plex, What could play Plex couldn't do one, or both, of the other two. So I stuck with an old PS3 but at some point that's going to fail. Nice to know that the theater room can be back up and running for not too much cash. 👍

Yep same issues here as the one device needed to do everything I wanted with zero compromise on the passthrough of the audio I mentioned. Apart from a full HTPC the Shield was the only device I found that would do that so it was a no brainer for me anyway.
The ability to everything else it does is a big bonus as just the audio portion was enough for me to purchase it.

For a while now I've been looking for an easy and reliable way to play my ripped Blu-rays on my home network through my AV setup without going a full blown HTPC, issue was it had to pass through Dolby Atmos, DTS X etc straight to my receiver my Blu ray player when networked would pass DTS X and Dolby TrueHD 7.1 but not the Atmos portion of TrueHD for some reason.
After some searching and reading all the rave reviews bought an Nvidia Shield.
Working a treat does exactly as I wished and the interface is super snappy and keeps all my entertainment in one spot, local content via Plex, Netflix etc etc.

View attachment 805800

TB
I'm not sure how I didn't come across this a few years ago looking for a device that could play Netflix, Prime and Plex. Most could do the first two but not Plex, What could play Plex couldn't do one, or both, of the other two. So I stuck with an old PS3 but at some point that's going to fail. Nice to know that the theater room can be back up and running for not too much cash. 👍

Yep same issues here as the one device needed to do everything I wanted with zero compromise on the passthrough of the audio I mentioned. Apart from a full HTPC the Shield was the only device I found that would do that so it was a no brainer for me anyway.
The ability to everything else it does is a big bonus as just the audio portion was enough for me to purchase it.

I'm using chromecast to play plex (not even the good chromecast). I rip blu-rays without compression (approx. 25gb each) and play them in full res. What am I missing? (I guess it doesn't do prime)

I still don't really like buying certain items online, for some reason I wanted to find the Lego Technics Porsche 911 RSR in a retail store instead. Checked the two nearby Targets with no luck, but finally found one half an hour's drive away. Unfortunately it was a beat up box, but I asked and got it for a bit less than regular price. $142 instead of the $149.99.
53654626_10219160940393740_6537764145268260864_o.jpg

I'm using chromecast to play plex (not even the good chromecast). I rip blu-rays without compression (approx. 25gb each) and play them in full res. What am I missing? (I guess it doesn't do prime)

I've read many conflicting opinions of Chromecast not correctly passing through DTS so I skipped over it as an option. Not to say that it can't work but DTS isn't mentioned here as passthrough at all.
Also easier for Mrs Shaun to understand when I just give her a remote and tell her she just has to flick through all the media she wants in one place.

I still don't really like buying certain items online, for some reason I wanted to find the Lego Technics Porsche 911 RSR in a retail store instead. Checked the two nearby Targets with no luck, but finally found one half an hour's drive away. Unfortunately it was a beat up box, but I asked and got it for a bit less than regular price. $142 instead of the $149.99.
53654626_10219160940393740_6537764145268260864_o.jpg

OMG I soooooo need that.

Nice one.

Edit - I kind of sounded like a teenage girl with that opening line, but hell, that's what Porsches do to me ;)

After two years of faithful service, the lens coating on my sunglasses has started to fail, probably from wearing them in the pool. Let's see how long these last...

7084859.attach

TB
After two years of faithful service, the lens coating on my sunglasses has started to fail, probably from wearing them in the pool. Let's see how long these last...

7084859.attach
So doing the math that's 4 weeks total in pool man you are ruff on them.

TB

7084859.attach

Going by the shape of those, it'll last one or two Daytona 500's.

I think I have an addiction now. That addiction?

Football jerseys.

Some of them include:

ruHtKwJ.jpg

Russia Confederations Cup 2017

5TGdrNh.jpg

England 2010

Q9W3wHl.jpg

Adidas Originals reproduction of Colombia's jersey from the late 80's, early 90's (also the inspiration for their last World Cup kit)

hbJLgq7.jpg

Holland 2008 or 2009, can't remember.

@TB, I've found that Foakelys and even relatively cheap unbranded shades last longer than expensive ones. $200 Oakley shades - 2 years (or $70 for replacement lenses), $5 Foakleys - 8 years and counting, $30 shades from Sainsbury's (UK supermarket) - 4 years and counting. These have all been alternating daily wears.

@TB, I've found that Foakelys and even relatively cheap unbranded shades last longer than expensive ones. $200 Oakley shades - 2 years (or $70 for replacement lenses), $5 Foakleys - 8 years and counting, $30 shades from Sainsbury's (UK supermarket) - 4 years and counting. These have all been alternating daily wears.
I've been the opposite - last pair of Oakleys lasted seven years, that $20 pair was two years. I'm reasonably certain the shortened life is a combination of more frequent trips (inevitably with a pool) and because of the chlorine in said pools.

Just ordered some reading material from Book Depository.

17920175.jpg

9780575086258.jpg

Was tempted to get Metro 2035 as it's only $10 at the moment but I'll see how 2033 goes first

Bought some Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 16GB CL16 memory sticks to replace my older 2400 MHz ones.

Coming in at $180, they were A LOT cheaper than the slightly quicker 3466/3600 MHz sticks at $320. And they will do just fine for the task at hand.

Image from google.

9fbfc69f-27ab-48ed-bc86-8b7638c68e22.jpg

Quick tip - if Scotland fail to beat San Marino on Sunday, you will be able to pick up a Scotland jersey for free on Monday 👍

They would be pretty cheap already wouldn't they after the result against Kazakhstan?

sigh

Back